Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Braids Stax

Re: Braids Stax

I'd cut Thalia and shave 2 other cards for bitterblossom and contamination. Probably 3 of each as you're already running 4 ophiomancer. I would want some factories too as crucible plus factory plus contamination works.

Oct 2015
    Arkansas, United States

I like the Bitterblossom idea and Contamination to lock out opposing colours. I've since updated my list to more resemble a Pox list in the side, cutting out all white and replacing with a splash of green for Life from the Loam, as a backup to Crucible. Here's my current list.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-02-17-black-stax/
    Fun is a zero-sum game in Magic. Therefore, Prison is the best archetype.

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Nobeard View Post
    I like the Bitterblossom idea and Contamination to lock out opposing colours. I've since updated my list to more resemble a Pox list in the side, cutting out all white and replacing with a splash of green for Life from the Loam, as a backup to Crucible. Here's my current list.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-02-17-black-stax/
    Any tournament results yet?

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

I posted another 3-0 last tuesday, which means i'm 11-1 with this deck since the start of the year in IRL playing.

I've been toying around with inventor's fair, and the card looks promising. Gaining life is extremely relevant, although i found out that the tutoring ability isn't that great since if you have 3 artifacts already down it means you are already ahead. still, a nice addition. I didn't know what to cut for it, and after some hours of testing i've decided to add it as card 61 in the deck. Which means that now I'm running 25 lands.

Last tuesday i went:

R1: Bye
    R2: Miracles (Easy lock)
    R3: Manaless Dredge: G1 i had bridge and cloister out with fair, but one turn before i tutored up trini and locked him out of everything he dredges into the combo. G2 and 3 is just Leyline T0
    R4: Storm. G1 i have a chalice and an ophiomancer and he can't get out. G2 I have Leyline + Revoker + a Braids cutting him off lands. Eventually I run a chalice and the game ends.

Question for you guys: Do you like bringing Leyline against Storm or other Non-GY combo?

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

What's your current list?

Quote Originally Posted by TLK View Post
    What's your current list?
    I would love to know as well!

Quote Originally Posted by owerbart View Post
    I posted another 3-0 last tuesday, which means i'm 11-1 with this deck since the start of the year in IRL playing.

I've been toying around with inventor's fair, and the card looks promising. Gaining life is extremely relevant, although i found out that the tutoring ability isn't that great since if you have 3 artifacts already down it means you are already ahead. still, a nice addition. I didn't know what to cut for it, and after some hours of testing i've decided to add it as card 61 in the deck. Which means that now I'm running 25 lands.

Last tuesday i went:

R1: Bye
    R2: Miracles (Easy lock)
    R3: Manaless Dredge: G1 i had bridge and cloister out with fair, but one turn before i tutored up trini and locked him out of everything he dredges into the combo. G2 and 3 is just Leyline T0
    R4: Storm. G1 i have a chalice and an ophiomancer and he can't get out. G2 I have Leyline + Revoker + a Braids cutting him off lands. Eventually I run a chalice and the game ends.

Question for you guys: Do you like bringing Leyline against Storm or other Non-GY combo?
    Yes on bringing in lotv against storm. Unless you have 60 better cards. I would also like to see this list!

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

I'm still playing the same list as ever. Just with an Inventor's Fair as card 61.

4 Braids
    4 Ophio

4 Trini
    4 Chalice
    4 Smokestack
    4 Mox Diamond
    3 Bridge
    2 Crucible
    2 Trading Post
    2 Bottled Cloister

3 Toxic Deluge

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Swamp
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 God's Eye, Gate to Reikai
    1 Inventor's Fair
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Wasteland
    2 Peat Bog

SB:

4 LOTV
    4 Helm
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Perish
    1 Virtue's Ruin
    1 Plague Spitter
    1 Notorious Assassin

I'm still playing the same list as ever. Just with an Inventor's Fair as card 61.

4 Braids
    4 Ophio

4 Trini
    4 Chalice
    4 Smokestack
    4 Mox Diamond
    3 Bridge
    2 Crucible
    2 Trading Post
    2 Bottled Cloister

3 Toxic Deluge

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Swamp
    1 God's Eye, Gate to Reikai
    1 Inventor's Fair
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Wasteland
    2 Peat Bog

SB:

4 LOTV
    4 Helm
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Perish
    1 Virtue's Ruin
    1 Plague Spitter
    1 Notorious Assassin
    List looks really great. How is your delver matchup?

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    List looks really great. How is your delver matchup?
    Up

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

Sorry I didn't see these messages nor they appeared on my alerts :(

Delver matchup is fine. BUG Delver is probably the most complicated because of the MD Decays. Chalice is always nice against Grixis or RUG, they can't play a whole lot after it resolves. Ophio is great to stop Anglers and Goyfs, and as long as you have a prison effect for the YP Shenanigans they'll eventually die to a Stax effect.

Probably the most terrible matchup is Aggro Loam, since your lockpieces won't do a whole lot unless you manage to stick a COTV in 2 and they don't find decay.

Sorry I didn't see these messages nor they appeared on my alerts :(

Delver matchup is fine. BUG Delver is probably the most complicated because of the MD Decays. Chalice is always nice against Grixis or RUG, they can't play a whole lot after it resolves. Ophio is great to stop Anglers and Goyfs, and as long as you have a prison effect for the YP Shenanigans they'll eventually die to a Stax effect.

Probably the most terrible matchup is Aggro Loam, since your lockpieces won't do a whole lot unless you manage to stick a COTV in 2 and they don't find decay.
    Belive in this guy... he made me buy Seeds of Innocence to try against this deck. It's not an all in deck at all, it grinds very well.

Quote Originally Posted by toletole View Post
    Belive in this guy... he made me buy Seeds of Innocence to try against this deck. It's not an all in deck at all, it grinds very well.
    Any experience with this dewck?

We got a strict upgrade!

Dunes of the Dead

Making a 2/2 as opposed to a 1/1 is nice, yeah?

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

Quote Originally Posted by square_two View Post
    We got a strict upgrade!

Dunes of the Dead

Making a 2/2 as opposed to a 1/1 is nice, yeah?
    Indeed :)

Also the fact that it's not legendary could makes us consider running more than one MD. I'll definitely test with this thing. Good find!

Indeed :)

Also the fact that it's not legendary could makes us consider running more than one MD. I'll definitely test with this thing. Good find!
    What are the impressions with this deck in the new meta?

What are the most recent deck lists?

@Owerbart

hey Cockatrice buddy,

how do you sideboard?

and is that Helm the Helm of Obedience??

I tried running your list and it's not the easier to figure out sideboarding. Like against infect for instance.

FINALLY finished building this deck in paper at Eternal Weekend. Required a couple of Crucibles that I still hadn't gotten around to acquiring.

Played owerbart's primary list for one of the trials, although I wasn't able to find Plague Spitters in time :( Managed Thurs night event 3-2 to win half a box.

Entered the main event with this list:

4 Braids
    4 Ophio

4 Trinisphere
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    4 Chalice
    4 Smokestack
    3 Bridge
    2 Crucible
    2 Trading Post

3 Toxic Deluge

4 Mox Diamond
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    5 Swamp
    1 Dunes of the Dead
    1 Inventor's Fair
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Wasteland
    1 Peat Bog

SB:

4 LOTV
    4 Helm
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Collective Brutality
    2 Perish
    1 Virtue's Ruin
    1 Bottled Cloister

Ok so quick words on the list. Most of it is owerbart's tried and true list. I was impressed with Spyglass and so I put it in replacing the Cloisters. This helps increase the number of T1 lock plays, deals with Deathrite and other stuff. I opted to keep in double Trading Post since Post can get rid of dead cards, gain life (this was HUGE over the weekend), do all kinds of awesomeness. Still wanted a Cloister in the side for those grindy games, although I really like Spyglass and a 3rd wouldn't be a bad idea somewhere.

Brutalities in the side were an experiment that absolutely punted. You only would want them very early, and you simply can't rely on having a black source right when you need to play them. Figured duress would be nice and it would be helpful to ditch cards for a Bridge, but it just didn't help the matches I brought them in for. Should have just been 2 Thorns which would have really helped against TES. Thats about the only change I have in mind, was very happy with the 75.

Round 1 vs Mike on Deathblade
    Game 1 he gets down T1 delver, forces my chalice, and lays down a T2 stoneforge grabbing batterskull. My timely deluge on my T2 sweeps his two guys, and my followup Chalice -> Braids -> Ophiomancer gobbles up his board.

Game 2 Inventor's Fair saves my ass. He gets down deathrite and sfm for jitte. I've gotten down crucible, sphere, and a smokestack ticking up with a bridge. Unfortunately I can't find a black source to get rid of my stupid BRUTALITY and so he gets in with stoneforge + jitte. On the last turn before I die, I'm able to sacrifice dunes and make a zombie. He punts by not killing the zombie and swinging sfm and drs for 2 (I got down to 2). Because of that, I'm able to block with zombie, go to 1, and smokestack sweeps his board next turn and he concedes.

1-0

Round 2 vs Cameron on Miracles
    Game 1 I have T1 Chalice, T2 Trinisphere (god my favorite card), T3 Braids. My life total shows ancient tomb bringing me down to 12, his life total decreases by 2 (braids) until I find an Ophiomancer to join in the beats.

Game 2 He T1 ponders, keeps stuff on top. I go T1 Spyglass, see his hand of Counterspell, Predict, Flooded Strand, Terminus, Search for Azcanta, Jitte. I name Flooded Strand. Turns out he kept another Strand on top of his library. My next plays are T2 Sphere, followed by Smokestack and Trading Post. I don't think he did anything else besides his first Island and two fetches.

Deck is still a miracles crusher, I see.

2-0

Round 3 vs Sahaj on Lands
    Game 1 I don't recall too much. I -almost- had him locked out of green mana to cast loam, with him only having a maze in play. Unfortunately he draws into a fetchland and grabs basic forest. From there his manabond overwhelms me and I'm unable to find a bridge to hide under before I'm hit with a 20/20.

Game 2 I kept a T1 Chalice hand, but then got wasted out and was unable to cast crucible before he k-grips the chalice and lays out exploration + loam. Similar fate as previous game but with less mana this time.

2-1

Round 4 vs Max on Miracles
    Game 1 has me taking a lot of tomb damage. That's due to my T1 chalice (resolves), my T2 attempt at a chalice on 2 (forced). I then lay down Ophiomancer on T3 followed by her best friend Braids on T4. He conceded to that.

Game 2 I don't remember my early plays but he get out an entreat for 3 angels and then counters my followup deluge.

Game 3 was quite the slog. I've got a lot of permanents, including sphere, crucible, smokestack, trading post. He's able to entreat for 3 angels again, but I get bridge out and smokestack starts ticking up. I'm able to make a goat each turn and sacrifice a land in order to keep it fed, and I'm just keeping him off of 6 mana so that snapcaster can't get back a used disenchant. He eventually does find another, destroys my bridge and I go from 24 down to 12 (poor braids was plowed twice earlier). At the end of turn, I trading post make a goat, and then on my turn I'm able to sacrifice a goat to get back bridge and replay. He doesn't have a way to overcome that, and I keep making goats and let stax slowly eat his board while I try to maintain my own. He finally tries for Mentor but I have a followup deed which he concedes to.

3-1

Round 5 vs Mark on Big Red
    Game 1 I don't have much, he drops a ton of lands and takes what looks like Ophiomancer attacks for several turns. I don't find a bridge. He lands sneak and throws in griselbrand, pays 7 down to 2 life, goes to town.

Game 2 I helm him out on turn 3. Fairly certain that I topdecked an ancient tomb to be able to play and activate it the same turn. Nasty. Love that sideboard plan against other chalice decks.

Game 3 Ok here is where Brutality does have its one VITAL moment. I'm able to T2 brutality away his shattering spree. This means that after he plays out sneak attack, my bridge is able to save my ass. He sneaks in griselbrand, draws FOURTEEN cards and goes to 4. He furrows his brow, doesn't look like he found any removal for bridge. He does seething song stuff, sneaks in 4 inferno titans (doming me for 12 damage down to 8) along with a worldspine wurm. He ends the turn with 3 5/5's in play, sneak attack, and a full hand. Hm. My turn I play out Helm (no leyline in play) and pass back. He draws for turn, and hardcasts Spirit Guide for some beats while my hand is still not quite empty. At the end of his turn, I have mana to spare to activate helm for 2, finding oh god an ASHEN RIDER. I grab the thing, exile his sneak attack. On my turn I play trading post, sacrifice my bridge, and swing for lethal. Felt good.

4-1

Round 6 vs Alex on TES
    Game 1 I kept a slower hand :/ He duresses me and goes off easily on T3.

Game 2 my notes show me with T1 sphere, T2 chalice on 1, T3 chalice on 2. He conceded. Need to better lay down chalice on 0, that mattered for game 3.

Game 3 I'm able to start with a leyline in play. Unfortunately he bounces my sphere and goes off on the turn before I activate lethal helm. Storm players with hurkyls recall are terrifying.

4-2

Round 7 vs Alex on MUD (see his reddit-linked report, also it might be on here - he went on to place 22nd)
    Game 1 I have a great hand if my opp was on a brainstorm deck. Turns out T1 chalice doesn't do much against the likes of lodestone golem. I really have to rely upon Wasteland/Crucible/stax lock here, but both of those didn't come through.

Game 2 was pretty similar. He played out his own crucible which left me almost entirely hinging on Leyling/Helm combo, unfortunately I have to keep a hand without a leyline. He accelerates with metalworker, plays out lodestone, and all I can really do is helm-steal another of his golems. Shoot - was hoping for something big to race the ulamog he promptly lands.
    He's able to exile my library before I assemble anything else. Great guy to meet and play against and I'm glad he did so well after beating me.

4-3

At this point, I'd played 7 rounds, was definitely feeling tired. Decided to drop and take a break before attempting a later side event. Total of 7-7 in matches across the weekend, including both side events I played this in. Could have changed based on my mulligan choices, I really could have used more experience in some of the more tricky decisions I was faced with.

Really enjoyed the list, I encourage anyone else to give it a go. Having 4 more stax effects with Braids is great fun (for you, not for opponent) and locks can be surprisingly quick to setup. Only change I'd make, as I stated at the beginning would be to put 2 Thorns in the side (but of course, tailor it to whatever your meta is). Main seemed great.

Hello All:

I have some questions about this deck. Where does it struggle? I would have to imagine that it hurts that, like Turbo Moon, we don't have card selection, so we have to rely on the consistency of the prison pieces to choke out our opponent. That being said, I have a couple of random idea that I'm curious to hear your thoughts:

If we run less of the cards at the end of the 60 (like, Trading Post, or shave copies of certain artifacts) could we run more black spells and Unmask? Considering that this deck operates a little like a first 3 turn combo deck, having some sort of protection could be worthwhile.

Even if we didn't think Unmask was worthwhile, what about Wretched Confluence. It might be too expensive, but our cousin Moon Stompy is able to play the 4 CMC Fiery Confluence to fairly good effect.

Finally, is there any upside to adding green? I've seen some brief discussion on that in the posting before, but I wonder if Tireless Tracker isn't a possible upgrade to Ophiomancer? The deathtouch of the Ophiomancer tokens is relevant, but Tireless Tracker both draws cards and is a MUCH faster win condition on it's own, especially when we lay down a Chalice for 1 and no other lock pieces. Downside is that it turns off our Ensnaring Bridges OR we turn off our trackers - just a nonbo. Maybe we could run Sylvan Library if we ran green and it would help the card selection issue?

I think I prefer the idea of staying mono-colored, but just trying to spitball some ideas.

Jan 2010
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by ClimbGneiss View Post
    Hello All:

I have some questions about this deck. Where does it struggle? I would have to imagine that it hurts that, like Turbo Moon, we don't have card selection, so we have to rely on the consistency of the prison pieces to choke out our opponent. That being said, I have a couple of random idea that I'm curious to hear your thoughts:

If we run less of the cards at the end of the 60 (like, Trading Post, or shave copies of certain artifacts) could we run more black spells and Unmask? Considering that this deck operates a little like a first 3 turn combo deck, having some sort of protection could be worthwhile.

Even if we didn't think Unmask was worthwhile, what about Wretched Confluence. It might be too expensive, but our cousin Moon Stompy is able to play the 4 CMC Fiery Confluence to fairly good effect.

Finally, is there any upside to adding green? I've seen some brief discussion on that in the posting before, but I wonder if Tireless Tracker isn't a possible upgrade to Ophiomancer? The deathtouch of the Ophiomancer tokens is relevant, but Tireless Tracker both draws cards and is a MUCH faster win condition on it's own, especially when we lay down a Chalice for 1 and no other lock pieces. Downside is that it turns off our Ensnaring Bridges OR we turn off our trackers - just a nonbo. Maybe we could run Sylvan Library if we ran green and it would help the card selection issue?

I think I prefer the idea of staying mono-colored, but just trying to spitball some ideas.
    I just started with it cause I have most of the cards from my MUD deck and I wanted to try something else. Confluence is way too expensive and bear in mind, Moon deck plays SSG and Songs to power it up early enough. Also where would you take second B from? Braids can use Caverns mana, black noncreature spells can't. As for Unmask - we don't have enough B cards to play it and those that we have are too important to waste them on it.

I haven't played it long enough but I don't think attacking opponent's hand is a way to play Stax. Force your pieces and force them to deal with it. When they don't have lands to play their spells or creatures to harm you + they are taxed or Chaliced let them have their full hand :D

Thread Information