Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Braids Stax

Re: Braids Stax

Ah, nice! I didn't realize who I was playing against, and if I remember correctly, the miracles player seemed to be unusually quick about setting up the Countertop lock. I haven't come across too many Miracles matches online where they get it up so fast. Usually Miracles matches revolve around 1 lock piece (chalice or sphere) plus sac outlet plus stax effect, gg. I may have punted my game 2 (if I'm remembering correctly) by not hammering out a T1 Chalice on 1. I had lands, Chalice, Mox, Braids, Strike Leader in hand I believe, and I did not want to lose either of those pieces. I groaned a bit when he T1 Top. I need to keep in mind that leading with chalice would have protected any other creatures I played from Swords.

I've been thinking about cutting my single Toxic from the main - since I'm so creature heavy it might not be as effective for me. I'd love to experiment with Nether Void (though I also groan at the thought of buying one in paper). I may also drop a land in favor of another lock piece, I seem to be flooding out often...will probably wait until I get more feeling for that.

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    New card spoiled for SoI.

I could see this as a 1 or 2-of for the decks that choose to not run Crucible. I wouldn't mind getting a single stax effect out plus this land while I'm waiting for more action to be drawn. Not sure if the Wasteland/Crucible versions would really need to bother though.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

For those of you guys who play the Helm package in the board, what matchups are you bringing it in against? The only one I could think of where I'd really want it is vs Lands / Aggro Loam where the opponent has as many permanents as we do, but they can't really stop Helm.

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post
    For those of you guys who play the Helm package in the board, what matchups are you bringing it in against? The only one I could think of where I'd really want it is vs Lands / Aggro Loam where the opponent has as many permanents as we do, but they can't really stop Helm.
    Anything using the graveyard I think is fairly obvious - Reanimator, Dredge. I side into the combo also against anything where both Trinisphere and Chalice are not very good, like various stompy decks. I usually cut down on Smokestacks (since they take an extra turn to get going), Jittes, and couple of token makers (like Bitterblossom) if I'm up against Storm. I want to be as quickly disruptive as possible and Smokestacks is a tad slow there. Sneak n Show I also try to put the combo in, since it ups our speed and Trinisphere isn't as hot here. I want to live the dream and put in Helm off of a Show and Tell and win that way - came very close to doing that last night

But yes, Lands and Loam are good for the combo, plus you don't want to just die to recurring Wastelands.

I have been very hesitant to side it in against regular blue decks like Delver, Shardless, etc. I might put in a few Leyline of the Void if they seem very heavy on Goyfs and Gurmag Angler etc. Most blue decks I just try to grind out. Although the combo is tempting most of the time

I enjoy hearing others' thoughts though.

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

Personally I used to board it in against Loam decks and other Graveyard dependant decks like Reanimator or Dredge. But over the time I got used to board it in against anything not packing blue. It's great in grindy Stax mirrors since it can give you a kill out of nowhere, and also against things like Goblins which is also a poor matchup. I don't bring it in vs DnT due to Revokers and Maverick because of the tutorable Qasali.

Helms on their own are a beast against Sneak and Show >:)

Also against things like Eldrazi where you already have a favorable matchup, you can side in 4 Chalice and 4 Trinis for the whole combo package, because they'll do more than the lockpieces.

Currently I'm getting my laptop fixed and I'm writing from an old spare netbook, but when I get my gear back I'll probably update the Primer and do a Matchup-Guide.

I've always been a fan of course that can recourse themselves and Drownyard temple really catches my eye. The only problem is that it requires a full 3 mana to keep feeding it (Crucible and Ophio are free, T. Post costs only 1) and DRS can interact pretty easily with it.

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

Quote Originally Posted by darkgh0st View Post
    The rest of my missing pieces are coming in the mail next week. I have an LGS invitational that Im bringing Braids Stax to. Hoping to make it.
    Tell us how did you do!

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

Quote Originally Posted by square_two View Post
    Quick aside: I just read about a cute interaction with Sundial of the Infinite and Smokestack. Would work with Braids as well. Has it ever been tested? I'm assuming it not playing well with Trinisphere and Chalice would be the greatest setback. And it not doing much of anything except when you have it out with Braids or Smokestack. And useless in multiples.

Looks like you could save City of Traitors from being sacrificed. Ditto with Mox Diamond. Combo with Phyrexian Dreadnaught? Probably way too cute.

For the record, you'd just be milling the opponent out. End your turn with your own sacrifice trigger(s) on the stack.
    Sundial of the infinite is indeed a sweet card, but the main problem I find with that card is that it works well only with Smokestack (Braids is quicker but can't multiply itself like smokey does), and has zero synergy with the rest of the deck. Also in an actual tournament environment Sundial is way too slow to win a game, let alone a match. And against Emrakul decks where they can't mill themselves the card is dead. Also it doesn't work with Mox Diamond, because of the errata it has: If you don't discard a card, Mox won't even enter the battlefield

Quote Originally Posted by owerbart View Post
    Tell us how did you do!
    Super Games Inc. screwed up my order. The deck didn't make it for the tourney. =(

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

Sorry to hear that Darkgh0st :(

I'll try to update the OP tomorrow, and maybe write a matchup guide.

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

Primer updated

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

Apparently someone named Jeff Chen ran Braids Stax in the a GPT. If someone can contact him fir him to tell us his experience, that would be great!

In Response - Podcast
    Jun 2007
    Berne, Switzerland

Here is his deck:
    http://asgardgames.net/category/magic-the-gathering/

I like the try to run as many Lilianas as possible even if Trading Post is easier to cast. The 4th Liliana might be a bit overkill and could be better of something a bit more gentle on the mana:

How about:
    Artifact
    4x Chalice of the Void
    3x Crucible of Worlds
    4x Ensnaring Bridge
    4x Mox Diamond
    3x Smokestack
    3x Trinisphere

4x Braids, Cabal Minion
    4x Ophiomancer

4x Ancient Tomb
    4x Cavern of Souls
    4x City of Traitors
    6x Swamp
    3x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4x Wasteland

3x Warping Wail

3x Liliana of the Veil

Sideboard
    1x Chains of Mephistopheles
    4x Helm of Obedience
    4x Leyline of the Void
    1x The Abyss
    3x Toxic Deluge
    1x Trinisphere
    1x Warping Wail

This is very basic and I am unsure of how good the Warping Wails are. I played them in Eldrazi and they were always ok, but seldomly great. Here they have the advantage of handling Deathrite Shaman, which is one of the most annoying and devastating creatures if you try to lock your opponent out of the game.
    Chalice on 1

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Apparently someone named Jeff Chen ran Braids Stax in the a GPT. If someone can contact him fir him to tell us his experience, that would be great!
    Hah that was me. Scrubbed out at 0-2 drop, although I usually do pretty decently at our local Legacy events (usually 12-20 players). I don't know if you looked at the meta, but it was about 15% D&T.

Lost to Burn in r1. Opponent had Fireblast and maindeck Sulfuric Vortex to get through my Trinisphere, Chalice @1 & 2 in g1. I won g2 off of Leyline / Helm. He got G3 off of Smash to Smithereens + PoP.

Lost to D&T in r2. I got g1 with triple Ensnaring Bridge (with plenty of lands to cast anything I drew). Let my opponent know I was going to deck him if he didn't concede the game, so he scooped. G2 I mulled to 4, still almost got there. G3 I was about to lock the game out but he hit every land drop of either plains or Flagstones and had just enough mana to play Mirran Crusader then equip a Batterskull on it. I couldn't find Bridge or Virtue's Ruin in time.

I still love the deck overall and would play it in a large event again, but our meta just has too much D&T right now for me to really feel comfortable unless I pack my board with more hate.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by hofzge View Post
    Here is his deck:
    http://asgardgames.net/category/magic-the-gathering/

I like the try to run as many Lilianas as possible even if Trading Post is easier to cast. The 4th Liliana might be a bit overkill and could be better of something a bit more gentle on the mana:

How about:
    Artifact
    4x Chalice of the Void
    3x Crucible of Worlds
    4x Ensnaring Bridge
    4x Mox Diamond
    3x Smokestack
    3x Trinisphere

4x Braids, Cabal Minion
    4x Ophiomancer

4x Ancient Tomb
    4x Cavern of Souls
    4x City of Traitors
    6x Swamp
    3x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4x Wasteland

3x Warping Wail

3x Liliana of the Veil

Sideboard
    1x Chains of Mephistopheles
    4x Helm of Obedience
    4x Leyline of the Void
    1x The Abyss
    3x Toxic Deluge
    1x Trinisphere
    1x Warping Wail

This is very basic and I am unsure of how good the Warping Wails are. I played them in Eldrazi and they were always ok, but seldomly great. Here they have the advantage of handling Deathrite Shaman, which is one of the most annoying and devastating creatures if you try to lock your opponent out of the game.
    Warping Wail has been amazing for me. As you said, it kills DRS, which is a huge problem creature for us, but also gets Bob and Pyromancer. It makes our combo matchup (which was already good before), even better, and even generates us a permanent in a pinch if we need it!

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

I tried warping wail but eventually the card didnt convince me. It just felt too reactive for a deck that wants to have proactive disruption. The the sorcery counterspell was its biggest selling point but was in my testing the one i used the most, different try by him with the toxics in the sideboard.

I would probably cut the Warping wails fir the 4th smokestack and 2 trading posts, to better the engine.

Still props to him for trying the deck!

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

Also jeff did you bord the helm kill vs DNT?

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Also jeff did you bord the helm kill vs DNT?
    No, I left it out because Thalia + Revoker + their mana disruption makes it tough for us to get down a 4 mana artifact was my reasoning.

I boarded:

-3 Trinisphere
    -2 Chalice

+1 Liliana
    +1 Warping Wail
    +2 Engineered Plague
    +1 Virtue's Ruin

I'm not a huge fan of Deluge since we tend to take a lot of damage from getting beat up + Ancient Tombs so I just play a split of Perish / Virtue's Ruin instead.

Hey Jeff, what do you feel is the weakest or least influential card in your take on the deck? Or list a couple of cards if one doesn't stand out.

For example, chalice is great in many matchups so it tends to always be powerful, but maybe lily under performs in some matchups but excels in others?

Aug 2014
    Buenos Aires, Argentina

Hey guys, matchup guide in first page updated

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgripper View Post
    Hey Jeff, what do you feel is the weakest or least influential card in your take on the deck? Or list a couple of cards if one doesn't stand out.

For example, chalice is great in many matchups so it tends to always be powerful, but maybe lily under performs in some matchups but excels in others?
    It depends on the matchup for me.

Trinisphere isn't very good against DRS decks or decks that have a lot of lands, especially when you're on the draw, for example.

Crucible and Ophiomancer suck vs combo, etc.

Smokestack can be too slow vs aggressive / creature heavy decks.

Btw, I believe D&T is a poor matchup for us. Any deck that has a lot of permanents like they do is bad because when we are in attrition mode, they can keep up with us (or get ahead with SFM, Aether Vial, Flagstones) in terms of Permanent advantage. Aether Vial also lets them accelerate out more permanents and get around Chalice / Trinisphere. Flickerwisp resets counters on Chalice / Smokestack, lets them alpha in vs Bridge. Thalia / mana disruption hurts us because like any Stompy deck, our lands are fairly fragile.

Thread Information