Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: [SCD] Worldgorger Dragon Combo

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida
    Last edited by Finn; 01-30-2015 at 09:25 AM.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Sep 2004
    Raleigh, NC

Re: Worldgorger Dragon Combo

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Bazaar of Baghdad made this deck good in Vintage and in 1.5. We do not have it, so what can we use to get the third combo piece once you have Reanimate on the Dragon? If there is no such mechanism, the deck is moot. Is it even worthwhile in a world of Griselbrands?

Deck to follow once this question is solved.
    Didn't Type 1.5 use Compulsion as extra bazaars in dragon combo?

Well, we need a second critter in the yard to stop it from locking the game. So that is a strike against it. It has to use Animate dead, also another strike. Pro's: Infinite mana is good. Animate dead can be grabbed with E. Tutor, not how big of a plus that is or not.

Jun 2014
    The Arctic

There are some cards that draw and discard other then Bazzar, just none of them are free.

I would look at :
    Intuition
    Entomb
    Burried Alive
    Desolate Lighthouse
    Putrid Imp
    Duskmantle
    Nephalia Drownyard

Desolate Lighthouse and/or Nephalia Drownyard come to mind as lands that can do the job.

Edit: Ninjaed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jables237 View Post
    Well, we need a second critter in the yard to stop it from locking the game. So that is a strike against it. It has to use Animate dead, also another strike. Pro's: Infinite mana is good. Animate dead can be grabbed with E. Tutor, not how big of a plus that is or not.
    The animate problem isn't a huge deal as you can run up to 12 of them (Dance of the Dead, and more Importantly, Necromancy exist). The combo creature is also likely an incidental Oona, as once you go off you find it. The question is, really, how many mill enablers can you run?

Quote Originally Posted by LennonMarx View Post
    Desolate Lighthouse and/or Nephalia Drownyard come to mind as lands that can do the job.

Edit: Ninjaed!
    Those both seem way too slow. 3 mana and tap? No thanks. I think we want faithless looting or careful study.

Sep 2004
    South Florida

Right. Both work fine in that role. OK, this is getting somewhere fast. Forget need two creatures in the bin. That is solved.

In fact, I think Desolate Lighthouse is actually rather better than Bazaar in the sense that you get some better card selection. It can't reasonably find the Dragon though.

Jables, it could cost a million. Doesn't matter. You have infininte untapped lands.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by Jables237 View Post
    Those both seem way too slow. 3 mana and tap? No thanks. I think we want faithless looting or careful study.
    Those aren't there to bin the dragon, though they can do that, they are there to mill yourself out once you get dragon. I'm sure some number of Study/Looting would get played in addition. Also, of note, Drownyard is a win-con once you go off with it in play.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Bazaar of Baghdad made this deck good in Vintage and in 1.5. We do not have it, so what can we use to get the third combo piece once you have Reanimate on the Dragon? If there is no such mechanism, the deck is moot. Is it even worthwhile in a world of Griselbrands?

Deck to follow once this question is solved.
    Would Altar of the Brood work as a kill condition here? Not that it solves the tutor problem, but it's very cheap.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Site Contributor

Jul 2007
    Europe

Is it a time for Buried Alive, Ambassador Laquatus and Necromancy?

Jun 2014
    The Arctic

4 Putrid Imp
    4 WGD
    1 Oona
    4 BS
    4 Ponder
    4 Animate Dead
    2 Necromancy
    4 Entomb
    3 Intuition
    4 FoW
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Nephalia Drownyard
    4 Delta
    2 other fetches
    4 Sea
    4 basics

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    Would Altar of the Brood work as a kill condition here? Not that it solves the tutor problem, but it's very cheap.
    You need another creature to end the loop already, so your kill should be that creature.

Oona is likely the best option off the top of my head

Quote Originally Posted by LennonMarx View Post
    Those aren't there to bin the dragon, though they can do that, they are there to mill yourself out once you get dragon. I'm sure some number of Study/Looting would get played in addition. Also, of note, Drownyard is a win-con once you go off with it in play.
    I like the Drownyard (in theory at least)

Strategic Planning?
    Swim, Bike, Run, MTG

Sep 2004
    South Florida

I would not mind the kill card being something that is useful before you go off. That would be a major boon for the deck. In fact, I bet it is a requirement. But there are probably thousands of candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    You need another creature to end the loop already, so your kill should be that creature.

Oona is likely the best option off the top of my head
    Eternal Witness could be better? Though it would require playing something like Deep Analysis, but I'm not sure we don't want to do that anyways.

I say no. Dragon takes up more deckbuilding space on mana sinks, is vulnerable to abrupt decay, stifle, GPM, even more cards if your mana sink targets. If bazaar was available then there's a reason but if bazaar was legal we'd be playing vintage. griselbrand can be exhumed, reanimated for profit, fits better into a permission graveyard blue shell, works with show and tell and in a vacuum is a retardedly powerful card that just wins most of the time. Dragon can win on the spot but assuming you are > 7-10 life it's hard to argue that griselbrand doesn't effectively win anyway. If they have removal it's moot, only with griselderp you have the upside of maybe you know, drawing 7.

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    I say no. Dragon takes up more deckbuilding space on mana sinks, is vulnerable to abrupt decay, stifle, GPM, even more cards if your mana sink targets. If bazaar was available then there's a reason but if bazaar was legal we'd be playing vintage. griselbrand can be exhumed, reanimated for profit, fits better into a permission graveyard blue shell, works with show and tell and in a vacuum is a retardedly powerful card that just wins most of the time. Dragon can win on the spot but assuming you are > 7-10 life it's hard to argue that griselbrand doesn't effectively win anyway. If they have removal it's moot, only with griselderp you have the upside of maybe you know, drawing 7.
    Thank you for showing up and being your usual bight, cheery, and useful self. If you'd like to help people brew, cool, if not, we are all aware that Grisselbrand exists.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

You could play an instant speed win condition so you don't actually need another creature to stop the combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Right. Both work fine in that role. OK, this is getting somewhere fast. Forget need two creatures in the bin. That is solved.

In fact, I think Desolate Lighthouse is actually rather better than Bazaar in the sense that you get some better card selection. It can't reasonably find the Dragon though.

Jables, it could cost a million. Doesn't matter. You have infininte untapped lands.
    Oh I thought you meant to get dragon into the yard in the first place. My mistake.

What about just filling the graveyard in bulk with cards like Tolarian Winds? Once you're going off, something like Read the Runes or Pulse of the Grid should be super-potent at filling the graveyard.

The question is, really, how many mill enablers can you run?
    There's a decent list. Cards like Careful Study,Faithless Looting,Ideas Unbound and Life from the Loam come to mind. It's a bit more restrictive if you want them to work at instant speed.

Edit: You could also go with Grindstone...

Thread Information