Thread: Old rules question

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

Old rules question

Phyrexian Dreadnought and Vision Charm. I know it works now, but did the combo work at the time Vision Charm was printed? I don't think it did but I don't remember if it did.

Re: Old rules question

Quote Originally Posted by Teluin View Post
    Phyrexian Dreadnought and Vision Charm. I know it works now, but did the combo work at the time Vision Charm was printed? I don't think it did but I don't remember if it did.
    No. At the time '187' effects, now known as 'enter the battlefield triggers' just happened. If you didnt counter my Nekrataal it just murdered your Ernham.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Phyrexian Dreadnought, under 5th Edition rules, required you sacrifice 12 power of creatures as it entered, or else you buried it. It would not enter play with that condition. Cost were required to be paid prior to the creature entering play. Likewise, Mox Diamond would force you to discard a land as part of the cost of playing the spell, and creatures like Uktabi Orangutan never triggered and instead did their effect with no "fast effects".
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Yeah, those were the times. Silly rules, if you ask me. So Brett might Boomerang his Grizzly Bears in response to Keisha casting Terror, but he cannot do the same when Nekrataal tries to murder the unfortunate bears? I was s o happy that they changed those rulings back when 6th Ed. came out, but then again combat damage on stack... that was so strange. I never really liked it, and for the whole decade that this nonsense was in effect, it was only the new frame that I disliked more.

Jul 2013
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    Yeah, those were the times. Silly rules, if you ask me. So Brett might Boomerang his Grizzly Bears in response to Keisha casting Terror, but he cannot do the same when Nekrataal tries to murder the unfortunate bears? I was s o happy that they changed those rulings back when 6th Ed. came out, but then again combat damage on stack... that was so strange. I never really liked it, and for the whole decade that this nonsense was in effect, it was only the new frame that I disliked more.
    I believe you had to announce targets when you cast the creature, like it was a spell. That is, you couldn't cast Nekrataal without a nonblack, nonartifact creature in play.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    I believe you had to announce targets when you cast the creature, like it was a spell. That is, you couldn't cast Nekrataal without a nonblack, nonartifact creature in play.
    Definitely not.

Thread Information