Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [WGD] Mono-Black Dragon Reanimator

May 2016
    Austin, TX

Re: [WGD] Mono-Black Dragon Reanimator

Sweet deck, Rood! I'd recommend main decking the Collective Brutalities to kill Deathrite Shaman and swapping the Oona for Tasigur, which is a kill with Worldgorger (you mill yourself until your opponent is force to give you a Collective Brutality and then cast Brutality infinitely).

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

I had built a UB version that I was playing for a while. The redundancy and having land as a possible combo outlet made it fairly strong.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Can you share the UB list Weapon X?

Sir Phobos
    Apr 2013
    St. Louis

It's probably a nightmare to play on MTGO, but I think you can max out on a playset of Dance of the Dead and some number of Walking Ballista as your win con/mana dump, as it's not unreasonable to cast, can ping down Delver and DRS and Thalia, and can be cast on X=0 to get it into the yard easily.
    Tinfins & Bizarro Stormy & Belcher & DDFT
    @acclimation6 on twitter
    Back to back t1 kills at SCG STL 2013:
    https://youtu.be/kk3crCPsNLg

Quote Originally Posted by .dk View Post
    Acclimation has solved the deck. Thread CLOSED.

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

The goal is to be able to win at instant speed. I want to be able to interact with the combo happening. Plus having lands as a win con and enabler is kinda sweet.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

What does your sideboard look like? What Cunning Wish targets?
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

My Youtube and Twitch usernames are DNSolver.

I am the Legacy metagame:

-2016 Eternal Weekend Europe won by BR Reanimator (I wrote the primer)
    -2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)
    -Refiner of Hogaak Depths.

Sir Phobos
    Apr 2013
    St. Louis

Unless I'm misreading cards, I don't think you're going off with 7 non flash reanimation spells at instant speed.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Tinfins & Bizarro Stormy & Belcher & DDFT
    @acclimation6 on twitter
    Back to back t1 kills at SCG STL 2013:
    https://youtu.be/kk3crCPsNLg

Quote Originally Posted by .dk View Post
    Acclimation has solved the deck. Thread CLOSED.

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

The reanimation doesn't need to be instant, it's everything else that should be. Necromancy being the instant speed reanimation is cost prohibitive, but does give a minor window. Being able to do anything during the loop is really the only reason to focus on "instant speed" in this case.

As for wish targets the main ones that are still playable were:
    Read the runes
    Pact of negation
    Intuition
    Slaughter pact

I will reiterate I was playing this when the delve cards were allowed which does hurt. Impulse isn't quite a dig through time.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

And Rood did you test the deck? (your messagbox is full)

Planning to also play it, maybe with a sideboard of 3 grim monolith (don't own a fourth), 4 grave titan, 4 pack rat, 3 or 4 krosan grips.

A couple of questions:
    why the scoundrels in the side? as a cheap quick beater?
    Why the cabal therapy? A way to save life? Only way to see the opponents hand is Unmask, and no ways to flash it back (unless after you drew 7-14 of grisselbrand)
    Why the gemstone mines? Aren't bayou's better for the green splash in the side, or for an absolute source to produce red?

Also I ordered both lifeloss lands, but I might only play the desert, because the entered tapped of piranha seems to painful.

My take on the deck:

// 60 Maindeck
    // 4 Artifact
    4 Lotus Petal

// 7 Creature
    3 Griselbrand
    3 Worldgorger Dragon
    1 Oona, Queen of the Fae (Is the Scholar not a better option in a non-force deck?)

// 9 Enchantment
    4 Animate Dead
    4 Dance of the Dead
    1 Necromancy

// 8 Instant
    4 Entomb
    4 Dark Ritual

// 17 Land
    2 Piranha Marsh (can still be helpful against lands --> glacial chasm)
    4 Sunscorched Desert (prefere desert since it still produces mana the turn it comes into play)
    4 Badlands
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Bayou (changed the gemstone mines to have a better chance at getting the green mana)
    1 Swamp

// 15 Sorcery
    3 Unmask
    3 Cabal Therapy
    2 Collective Brutality (disruption, anti-DRS and enabler)
    4 Faithless Looting
    3 Buried Alive

// 15 Sideboard
    // 8 Creature
    SB: 4 Pack Rat
    SB: 4 Grave Titan

// 3 Artifact
    SB: 3 Grim Monolith (don't have the fourth :-))

// 4 Instant
    SB: 4 Krosan Grip/Abrupt Decay

I think in game 2, my whole sideboard comes in, and out goes:
    2 Animate dead
    3 Dance of the Dead
    2 Buried Alive
    2 Worldgorger Dragon
    2 Griselbrand
    4 Lotus Petal

Depending on what answers the opponent has.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Xod; 05-24-2018 at 05:29 AM.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Sorry I was a bit late on my reply...anyways I played at a local tonight went 2-1 punting my one match I lost due to sideboard error
    Here I was what I played

4 Lotus Petal
    2 Griselbrand
    4 Worldgorger Dragon
    1 Oona, Queen of the Fae
    4 Animate Dead
    4 Dance of the Dead
    1 Necromancy
    4 Entomb
    4 Dark Ritual
    3 Piranha Marsh
    4 Sunscorched Desert
    3 Badlands
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Gemstone Mine
    1 Swamp
    1 Geier Reach Sanitarium
    4 Unmask
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Faithless Looting
    1 Thoughtseize

1 Engineered Explosives
    4 Pack Rat
    2 Ancient Grudge
    2 Dismember
    2 Nature's Claim
    2 Collective Brutality
    2 Thoughtseize

Some thoughts:

I won every single game 1 without any sort of resistance whatsoever. I think this deck is crazy explosive g1 with no hate
    I killed a couple people with the Geier Reach...cards surprisingly not bad tbh. Matchups were as followed

R1: Miracles (Won 2-0)
    g1: I have multiple reanimation spells after T1 Faithless and Dragon takes care of business. Sunscorched ftw
    g2: I actually get there with the Pack Rats....He doesn't find Terminus

R2: Elves
    g1: Turn 2 Griselbrand into draw 14 WGD combo you out for 100000000 damage via Sunscorched Desert
    g2: I destroy his hand with Therapies and Unmasks to clear the way for EOT Entomb into WGD...his one free draw he had was
    Surgical zzz.
    g3: I punt VERY VERY badly here. I boarded out my 2 Griselbrands on accident without realizing it. I go for unmask Rit
    Entomb Dance of the Dead....Only having a dual land and was forced to grab my Dragon for a draw. If I had either of the Griselbrands
    it was over for sure...Really bad sideboarding error on my part
    g4: I have turn 2 WGD he has surgical with turn 1 Deathrite. I had another Entomb for Griselbrand but never find a removal spell for the
    Deathrite Shaman

R3: Affinity
    g1: Mull to 5 into turn 2 Griselbrand. followed by a draw 14 into WGD wombo.
    g2: He has turn 1 Relic. I EOT grudge into entomb/Dance of the dead. GG

Few Thoughts:

-Faithless Looting is the best card in the deck and it isn't even close. Cards NUTS.
    -I like Gemstone Mines because they enable Loots Claims and Grudges. Also EE is great with the card.
    -Pack Rat is the bomb.
    -Never board out all the Griselbrands. Leave 1 in always.
    -Still trying to optimize the SB plan with this deck. It's very tricky to figure out what to splice.
    -Buried Alive absence was never felt. I don't think this card is neccessary in this deck to accomplish our goal

@Xod I like your list dude. I think a 3/3 split between WGD and Griselbrand seems fine. IDK why I went with 4/2
    I was kinda rushed before the tournament to put the deck together.

I'll keep rocking this beast and keep you guys updated. I really like how this deck feels though...the hands you draw are just
    busted most of the time. Thanks!
    Last edited by Jander78; 06-04-2018 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Added card tags
    UR Dreadstill creator and BRx WGD Combo Pioneer
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

Went 1-4-drop with it last Sunday, I won only the last game :-)

But like Rood said, only 1 round I lost the first game, the rest of the rounds, I won the first game rather quickly. The ping-lands are awesome.

The transformational sideboard didn't go as planned, although it showed some good potential. But had some bad luck, game 2 against DnT, the reanimation part was of the table by the amount of hate he had, but I could power out a grave titan, but didn't found a ritual or monolith, so the time it would land was already to late... And game 3, I had double pack rats, and I unmasked his hand, only had 1 land. He topdecked a land and a revoker, together with SoFaI and mom, it killed me.

In the future I will not go for the full transformational plan and more for combatting the hate. I will write a full report but don't have much time right now and will test something else this weekend . But as Rood said, it can be really explosive and less clunky than you would think. And also, Faithless looting is the best card in the deck Used the flashback multiple times to win the game. Also, Buried alive also won me 2 games (used to play Oozing, similar plan) because apparently 2 DR, Buried Alive and Animate dead is a one turn kill

2 suggestions:
    Massacre (against containment priest, Thalia and such)
    Pithing Needle (against DRS, maybe even maindeck, and Karakas, that card is worse than DRS)

Maybe playing with a (burning) wish board? Maybe too fancy.

What did you use Geier reach for? Mainly looting for yourself? Ahhh, now I see the kill (but you need to have more cards in your deck than your opponent, can be iffy after griselbrand)
    The Piranha Marshes are good because they produce black, but the tapped into play slows you down a turn. 6 ping lands were plenty. Oona in the grave or an entomb in hand is also enough.

I think that bayou's are better than gemstone mines because they can be fetched and still be used after 3 turns :-) But I could be wrong, convince me I will post an updated deck/SB later on.

Ignore my previous comments about pithing needle, because we don't care about karakas. Our dragon is not legendary.

I think we can easily use 90% of the sideboard of BR Reanimator.
    2 Ancient Grudge (no comments there)
    4 pack rats (I think we can go fully anti hate, but why not, it's fun and it can win games on it's own, although I don't think you need to board it in against combo decks)
    2 dismember (I think this easily can become a different removal Spell like push, if you want to fight hate, better against Chalice decks and Eldrazi to keep the pressure away)
    2 nature's claim (nothing wrong here with the mines, but playing with the bayou's I think a better choice would be 2 or 3 Reverent Silence)
    2 collective brutality (I have them main so I don't need this spot)
    2 thoughtseize (no objections here, although duress might be enough, depending if you need more enablers, I don't honestly)
    1 E. E. (A catch all I suppose, I don't think I need it if you use massacre and/or Decay)

So as a conclusion I would cut:
    -1 E. E.
    -2 brutality
    -2 claims
    And add:
    +3 reverent silence
    +2 Massacre

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Been rockin this on cockatrice to great results

4 Lotus Petal
    3 Griselbrand
    3 Worldgorger Dragon
    1 Oona, Queen of the Fae
    4 Animate Dead
    4 Dance of the Dead
    1 Necromancy
    4 Entomb
    4 Dark Ritual
    2 Piranha Marsh
    1 Bayou
    4 Sunscorched Desert
    3 Badlands
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Gemstone Mine
    1 Swamp
    1 Geier Reach Sanitarium
    4 Unmask
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Faithless Looting
    1 Thoughtseize

1 Pithing Needle
    2 Ancient Grudge
    2 Dismember
    3 Nature's Claim
    4 Collective Brutality
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Duress

Basically a few notes:

I ended up hardly ever resorting to the Pack Rat backup so I just cut it entirely for full on combo.
    Boarding into alot of hand disruption postboard is very strong. Almost everyone's GY hate i've seen are
    Surgical/Faerie Macabre. Very rare do I see leyline or something. Deathrite is a pain in the ass I think 4
    Brutalities are needed in the board to deal with that matchup. Most of the time I find myself boarding postboard like this

-1 Necromancy
    -1 Unmask
    -1 WGD
    -1 Griselbrand
    -1 Marsh
    -1 Looting
    -1 Petal/Dark Ritual/WE

+2 Seize
    +1 Duress
    +2/3 Claim
    +3-4 Brutality (DR matchup)

Been having great success with the list. Think I'm starting to nail it down how to board properly.
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

I think we can learn alot from our BR counterpart.

This is an interesting article: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...VtSlYScGU/edit

One note on your sideboard Rood: you are very much at a disadvantage against Eldrazi, Leyline of the Void and Chalice on 1 will result in an autoloss.
    That's why the Reverent Silences are good for. And still for Leyline of Sanctity and RiP. But a split of both would be nice.

I will be testing some sideboards and post back here. Next test, tonight.

Also read the article concerning Collective Brutality and Grim Lavamancer (Magus is a nonbo for us with our ping-lands), depending on playstyle, both are an interesting addition.

Sideboard will be something like:
    2 Ancient Grudge
    2 Massacre
    2 Grim Lavamancer
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Duress
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Collective Brutality
    3 Reverent Silence

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Went to my local tournament last night and actually went 4-0-0 good for first place out of 15 players.
    Deck performed all but advertised and had hoped it would. Was testing out Pact of Negations in the SB and worked like
    a charm for me.

4 Lotus Petal
    3 Griselbrand
    3 Worldgorger Dragon
    1 Oona, Queen of the Fae
    4 Animate Dead
    4 Dance of the Dead
    1 Necromancy
    4 Entomb
    4 Dark Ritual
    3 Piranha Marsh
    4 Sunscorched Desert
    3 Badlands
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Gemstone Mine
    1 Swamp
    1 Geier Reach Sanitarium
    4 Unmask
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Faithless Looting
    1 Thoughtseize

2 Ancient Grudge
    2 Dismember
    2 Nature's Claim
    4 Pact of Negation
    3 Collective Brutality
    2 Thoughtseize

R1: Sneak/Show
    g1: he goes for the sneak I have the Griselbrand. Dragon Ensues
    g2: we get over a war for Griselbrand to hit play. I have double Pact of Negation. Draw 14 into Enter the Dragon

R2: Storm
    g1: I have turn 1 Griselbrand followed by double unmask therapy. Turn 2 Dragon
    g2: We trade discard spells heavily but I eventually essemble Dragon combo before he can get
    much going

R3: Death and Taxes
    g1: I had it turn 2 but he resolves a turn 2 Thalia. Soon after He plays Sanctum Prelate at 2. I go
    Dark Ritual into Necromancy for 4.
    g2: I play it patiently and go for Unmask into Rit, Entomb, Dance.

R4: Sneak/Show
    g1: We get into a war of attrition but I have double animation spells for his Force on Dance for Dragon
    g2: He has turn 0 Leyline of Sanctity/Cage. Alrightttttt then
    g3: He mulls to 6 into double Leyline but I have turn 1 Griselbrand. Soon after the deed is finished with Worldgorger combo
    protected by 3 Pact of Negations.

Overall was a fun tournament. Getting really experienced with this list now helps alot with knowing how to sideboard. Game 1
    is kinda just a complete steamroll 90% of the time. Let me know what you guys think.

I went 2-2 yesterday, lost to High Tide and Goblins (was really close) won against dragon stompy and a BUG control deck.

Against BUG it was very funny, we went draw go for a lot of turns, I stripped his hand but he managed to put a TNN. I could drop dragon in the grave, and an animation spell, but I needed an entomb (for oona) or a ping land, when he brought me below 3, I went for the draw
    Result was 2-0-1
    The grim lavamancer made me get through 2 DRS.

Goblins disrupted me heavily, had a top hand after a mull to 5, I unmasked him in my turn and saw: 2x wasteland, thorn of amethyst, 2x faerie, 1 stingscourger. And against High Tide I found very few to none discard and he Always had counters up. Still glad with the deck.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Took this deck to a 3rd place finish at a decent sized Vintage tournament on Saturday.
    Changed the list up obviously to combat the hostile Vintage metagame.

Here was my list

1 Black Lotus
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Lotus Petal
    3 Worldgorger Dragon
    3 Griselbrand
    1 Oona, Queen of the Fae
    4 Dance of the Dead
    4 Animate Dead
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Vampiric Tutor
    4 Entomb
    4 Dark Ritual
    1 Chain of Vapor
    4 Bazaar of Baghdad
    3 Polluted Delta
    2 Badlands
    4 Sunscorched Desert
    4 Gemstone Mine
    1 Bayou
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Demonic Tutor
    4 Unmask
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Faithless Looting

SB:
    4 Hurkyl's Recall
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Bayou
    2 Collective Brutality
    3 Thoughtseize
    4 Reverent Silence

R1: Shops 0-2
    R2: Dredge: 2-0
    R3: Paradoxical Outcome 2-0 (On stream)
    R3: Deathrite midrange 2-1

Top 8:
    URW Pyromancer Control 2-1

T4: Shops 0-2

So at least the vintage counterpart of this list can still compete at a very high level. The Shops matchup despite me
    having access to 4 Hurkyl's Recalls SB wasn't great. I don't really know how to improve that matchup without just drawing
    a busted hand on the play. Was a great tournament and Bazaar of Baghdad is nuts lol.

Thread Information