Thread: Domain Zoo (Alara Might Get There)

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

Domain Zoo (Alara Might Get There)

I've been debating returning to the Zoo archetype now with that banning of Pod and Treasure Cruise. I tend to like the traditional, low cost creature and burn version of Zoo, but I also really love Tribal Flames. It didn't seem worthwhile running X/b and X/u shocklands in what was essentially a Naya deck just to turn on the power of Tribal Flames, so it got me thinking: "What is the real reason to run Domain?" Other than Tribal Flames, Might of Alara seems like the best thing that Domain offers. That lead me to think of double strike creatures, because who doesn't like dealing 10 extra points of damage for G? I'm just kind of at a loss where to go with this though. I don't have a decklist, but I do have some cards I'm considering and would appreciate input.

Tribal Flames, Might of Alara - These are basically the reason I'm running Domain. Flames is an x4, but Might may only be 2-3 copies.
    Viashino Slaughtermaster - He seems to be the best low cost double striker and his ability actually gives you something to spend black mana on.
    Boros Swiftblade - I don't really like this guy, but he's the next best option for a cheap double striker.
    Fabled Hero - He'd be a curve topper, but seems pretty solid. Maybe we don't want to go to 3cc though.
    Ghor-Clan Rampager - Giving trample and +4/+4 to a double striker seems good, and he might just get hardcast.
    Rancor - Trample plus +2/+0 on a double striker is good, and it lets your Gofys be bigger than your opponent's.
    Noble Hierarch - If we have to get to 3cc, he seems like a necessary evil. With double strikers in the list, exalted gains added value.
    Qasali Pridemage - Another source of exalted that provide a little utility to a deck that just wants to attack.
    Wild Nacatl - He's the best turn 1 play you have available, other than Hierarch setting up a better turn 2.
    Tarmogoyf - I think he's still an auto include.
    Lightning Bolt - Because it's the best burn spell of all time.
    Path to Exile - Because it's the best removal spell in the format.

So, some combination of those cards plus 20 lands (probably all fetches and shocks). Thoughts? Criticisms? Why is this better/worse than traditional Zoo? Is there anything in Blue worth playing (Geist of Saint Traft or Snapcaster Mage, perhaps)?

Initial worries: The mana base is going to hurt. Expect taking 6-9 points of life loss from your lands. Lightning Helix would be nice to offset some of that life loss, but the deck is kind of full on burn with Bolt/Flames. Speaking of the mana base, Blood Moon is not your friend.

Shine On
    Oct 2009
    Canada

Re: Domain Zoo (Alara Might Get There)

Too bad Mirran Crusader can't feel the Might of Alara... Definitely the best Double Striker around and will help a lot vs the Siege Rhino Problem.

I would start with a traditional Zoo list and then try and modify from there; Double Strikers might not be good enough in a world of Tarmogoyfs :P Although I do like the idea of Hierarch / Pridemage backing up crusader. More of a GW sort of style...

Rafiq of the Many + Geist might make a good case for playing U

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

I thought about this a little more and consulted some of the old "Gaea's Might Get There" lists. Granted, Modern is a very different format than old Extended, but the main thing I realized about those old decks were that they still kept really low to the ground. The only double striker they ran was Boros Swiftblade and that seemed to be enough (after all, +5/+5 for G is really good, even without double strike). So, I basically took my "traditional/Naya" Zoo list, swapped a few cards for the Domain cards and Slaughtermasters and this is what I came up with. I'll probably slap it together and run it through a Modern event or two as soon as I can.

Domain Zoo
    CREATURES
    4 Kird Ape
    2 Loam Lion
    3 Qasali Pridemage
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Viashino Slaughtermaster
    4 Wild Nacatl
    1 Ghor-Clan Rampager
    SPELLS
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Lightning Helix
    4 Might of Alara
    4 Path to Exile
    4 Tribal Flames
    LAND
    4 Arid Mesa
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Windswept Heath
    1 Sacred Foundry
    2 Stomping Ground
    2 Temple Garden
    1 Overgrown Tomb
    1 Steam Vents
    1 Blood Crypt

Apr 2011
    Oslo, Norway

Besides domain for Tribal Flames blue and black can add some interesting cards to your cardpool.

Blue:
    Snapcaster
    Geist of Saint Traft

Black:
    Deathrite Shaman (Banned)
    Dark Confidant

In my opinion blue looks most promising.

The double strike plan seem fun, but I don't think it's good enough.

I've allways liked Steppe Lynx in Tribal Zoo as you run a high number of fetch lands. He's weak late, so maybe his not good enough. In Legacy, on the other hand, were you have Brainstorm to shuffle him away late I've found him to be really good.

Thread Information