Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st at Eternal Clash 2015 with Death and Taxes

1st at Eternal Clash 2015 with Death and Taxes

On the 24th of January the event "Eternal Clash 2015" took place in Flensburg. I took first place and this my report.

Disclaimer: I took no notes so this is all from memory, feel free to correct me some of my information is off and you were actually there/played against me

Introduction:

I left my apartment at 6:20 in the morning after having overslept and therefor missing my breakfast, I caught the bus to the train station where I met up with Mads Sørensen. I quickly grabbed some breakfast and coffee before taking the train from Aarhus to Skanderborg to meet Felix Munch who had the car we were driving in. It was snowing heavily so the drive there was miserable and we were very delayed. Luckily, we left early enough that we still had plenty of time and we even stopped by the discount stores near the border to do some shopping before we continued to the site. We reached the site at 10:30 and finalized our registration along with writing our deck lists. There was a lot of Danes there, and most of them I knew so a significant part of the field was made up of players where I knew which decks they were on.

As people were writing their deck lists, we scouted as much as we could and basically reached the same conclusion that you would expect at any legacy tournament post Treasure Cruise ban/pre Treasure Cruise print, the field was incredibly varied and basically everything was represented there. From Affinity and Pox, to Elves and Miracles it was there.

This was the deck list I registered:

Lands (23):

1x Cavern of Souls
    1x Horizon Canopy
    3x Karakas
    4x Flagstones of Trokair
    6x Plains
    4x Rishadan Port
    4x Wasteland

Creatures (26):

4x Flickerwisp
    4x Mother of Runes
    4x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4x Stoneforge Mystic
    4x Phyrexian Revoker
    2x Mangara of Corondor
    2x Mirran Crusader
    2x Serra Avenger

Non-creature spells (11):

4x Æther vial
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    1x Umezawa's Jitte
    1x Sword of Fire and Ice
    1x Batterskull

Sideboard:

2x Cataclysm
    2x Council's Judgement
    2x Enlightened tutor
    2x Rest in Peace
    1x Pithing Needle
    1x Ratchet Bomb
    2x Ethersworn Canonist
    2x Wilt-Leaf Liege
    1x Containment Priest

The tournament started with 69 players registered, it was 7 rounds of swiss with cut to top 8 and here is how my rounds went:

Round 1: Affinity 2-0

My opponent was maybe not the most experienced in Legacy. I do not say this because he misplayed, but because of his unwillingness to scoop in very very bad spots. I got Jitte active early in both games and that was lights out.

I am always happy to face these decks/players in the early rounds since I expect the early rounds to be easy, and allow me to warm up to the later rounds.

Generally I think you should scoop when you reach a point where you just cannot win anymore. There's no reason to waste more time in the round, and since Legacy games can go very long and get very complex, you should save more time so you will be able to play out those games.

Round 2: UR Delver 2-1

My opponent replaced the Treasure Cruises with Preordains, and the deck was still blazing fast and capable of doing powerful things, but with the absence of Treasure Cruise, I could grind him out and finish him with equipment on any creature.

In the first game a Thalia is attempting to race a Delver of Secrets and when I'm at 6 life I draw a Mirran Crusader that I then vial in at the end step, to kill my opponent while I'm at 3. The next game a Young Pyromancer is active for too long and after a flurry of Lightning Bolts I die.

In the third game we trade creatures for removal spells early on and eventually I untap with a Thalia and a Stoneforge Mystic that fetched Batterskull. I attempt to play around Smash to Smithereens, but eventually I have to go for it with only 4 lands in play, and as it turns out, he did not board in his Smash to Smithereens. Batterskull wins the game.

Round 3: BUG Delver 2-1

Game 1 I deal with a Delver and a Tombstalker but the second Tombstalker was too strong and I die. The next 2 games play out differently and Mirran Crusader and Stoneforge Mystic brings it home.

Round 4: Dark Maverick 1-1 draw

In the first game he goes Deathrite into Knight of the Reliquary, I go Vial into Revoker on Knight, into Revoker on Deathrite Shaman. He plays another Knight and a Sylvan Library and starts to beat down with 4/4 knights. My opponent plays very slow and I have to tell him a couple of times to speed up, he also attempts to cast spells cheaper than their cost through a Thalia. I tell him but don't call a judge. I am racing him in the air with a Flickerwisp but on one crucial turn he draws Stoneforge Mystic and he has 5 lands. He fetches Umezawa's Jitte and plays it (this was after we traded Thalia's in combat) with his Deathrite Shaman and his 5th land, he equips Jitte to a Knight and connects. He passes the turn after Killing the Revoker naming Knight of the Reliquary. On the next turn I realize that my opponent used his Deathrite Shaman to produce mana, despite the fact that it was named with my Phyrexian Revoker. At this point I'm pretty pissed because of my opponent's slow playing, plus breaking rules constantly and finally making the game winning play through a GRV. I call the judge and he determines that too much time has passed and we both receive a warning for failure to maintain the game state (if I recall correctly), the ruling I am fine with but losing to my opponent cheating has me furious. I ask the judge to watch the rest of the match because my opponent's play is so sloppy and slow, and because he's possibly intentionally breaking rules. After two more turns I scoop the game to the active Jitte and look at the clock, 40 minutes has passed and we're only about to sideboard for game 2!

I quickly sideboard and present my deck, my opponent of course needs to pile shuffle so he eats 2 more minutes of the clock. Keep in mind that my opponent also won his last round 1-0 due to all his slow playing and I let the judge know this.

Finally we begin the next game with 7 min. left on the clock and I play as fast as I possibly can. During this game the judge is watching constantly and my opponent has picked up the pace a little. My opponent first mistake is made on turn 2 when he uses his Deathrite Shaman to pay for a spell without exiling a land (which is highly beneficial to him since he plays Knight of the Reliquary), I don't know what the correct ruling is on this but I can only assume it was the one given, so he receives no warning but of course has to exile his land after I tell him. On the next turn I play nothing and just pass the turn with a vial I am ticking up, my plan is to play a Mirran Crusader that I can protect with a Flickerwisp. On the following turn I play the Mirran Crusader and pass the turn. My opponent then Abrupt Decays the Mirran Crusader and of course gets a warning for that. He complains to the judge that I am doing everything I can to stress him out. Then he mindlessly tries to main phase Swords to Plowshares my Mirran Crusader and I save it with Flickerwisp. Now time has been called and the time extension we received has expired. On turn 4 of extra turns my opponent taps out for something irrelevant, he's on 7 life. I end of turn put in Stoneforge Mystic (with my 2nd vial) and get Sword of Fire and Ice, I then untap and put it on my Flickerwisp to make it 1-1 in the 5th of extra turns.

I am glad I at least got the draw, but I should've won 2-0 and I am furious that my opponent is still undefeated only because he broke the rules and slow played.

Round 5: Death and Taxes 2-0

My opponent tells me he knows me from watching SCG coverage and we have what I thought was a pleasant match.

Game 1 I get a quick active Jitte and that's the game. Game 2 His board is 2 Mother of Runes, 2x Stoneforge Mystic, Batterskull and he has a Jitte in hand. My board is Ratchet Bomb on 2 and Aether Vial on 2. After taking a few hits and getting ported I Council's Judgement the Batterskull. Then I crack the Ratchet Bomb, vial in Serra Avenger and play and equip my Jitte that I had in the opener. His board is then completely dealt with and he didn't come back from that.

Round 6: RG Lands 2-1

I am paired against another Dane, but I don't know what he's on. So I ask him "Do you know what I am playing?", he answers "Yes I do" so I tell him "Would you mind telling me what you're playing then? To make it fair". He tells me that he would rather not, so I ask him "So you want to play unfair?" and he tells me "I will take any advantage I can get". Which is ok, I can't do anything about that and it's fine. I have in a similar spot told my opponent what I was playing but of course you have no obligation to do that.

In the first game he keeps a hand with no colored sources and dies to Mangara + Karakas before he can draw out of it. In the next game he wastelands me out (I draw no basics or Flagstones) and kills me with a 20/20.

In the 3rd game I keep a hand with Cataclysm, Pithing Needle, Stoneforge Mystic, Rest in Peace and 3 lands. Great hand. I play out the Pithing Needle (on Thespian's Stage) and the Rest in Peace. My Stoneforge Mystic gets hit by Punishing Fire and after trading lands a couple of times I eventually draw more creatures and he keeps using Punishing Fire to deal with my threats, but they are 1 time use only. Eventually he draws a Krosan Grip and kills my Rest in Peace, but I've been holding back another one, and I play it on the following turn. I have a Thalia that has been attacking him for a while, and eventually I draw a 4th mana source, so I activate my Æther Vial to remove Thalia and then I can cast Cataclysm and that is the game.

In this round my round 4 opponent is playing against my friend and travel companion Mads Sørensen and Mads is aware of all the sloppy play this player is doing, so on the first game rule violation he calls the judge and because of the warnings he accumulated in my match, he immediately is handed the game loss, and Mads goes on to win the match.

On the standings after round 6, Felix, Mads and I are 2nd, 3rd and 4th so we can all draw into top 8 and we are pretty happy with that.

So after the 7 rounds I end up with a record of 5-0-2 that is good for 4th place.

Round 7: ID with Infect

Top 8

Quarter Finals: BUG Delver 2-1

In the first game I am on the play and I have Mother of Runes. I play it and he leads with Deathrite Shaman. I have a Phyrexian Revoker and I draw an Æther Vial. I think a while if he has Liliana of the Veil + fetch and decide that it's worth going for the Vial. He has turn 2 Liliana and I am destroyed. Eventually the Æther Vial lets me dig out of it by letting me play all my creatures at his end step to avoid the edict effect of Liliana, and Batterskull gets there in the end.

The next game I mulligan to 5, but it's a solid 5. I end up with active Mother of Runes and a Mirran Crusader but he has Delver + Vendilion Clique and kills me in the air.

In the decider I play an early Stoneforge Mystic and get Batterskull, he Thoughtseizes it away. I draw Sword of Fire and Ice and just passes with a Stoneforge on an empty board. My opponent doesn't catch up on it and plays a Deathrite Shaman before another Thoughtseize. I put in the Sword and he is tapped out. Now I start attacking with the sword while Wastelanding him and he never gets Abrupt Decay mana before he is dead to the sword. He let me know after the match that he actually had a Disfigure for the Stoneforge had he realized what was going on.

We split the top 4 prizes to the best of our abilities but still play it out to decide the few € difference on the cards.

Semi Finals: Death and Taxes 2-0

In game 1 I beat him down with a Flickerwisp for many turns while we just stare at each other on the ground with both having active Mother of Runes + Phyrexian Revoker.

Game 2 he is the one with the Flyer and we both have active Mother of Runes, eventually I draw Council's Judgement and get rid of his Serra Avenger before playing a Flickerwisp to start clocking him. I play a Phyrexian Revoker and consider naming his Æther Vial, he says "OK" to my Revoker but then says "Wait! Can I use it?" pointing to his Æther Vial, I tell him that obviously he cannot. But I still decide to name Umezawa's Jitte even though he clearly doesn't have it, I decided that it would be too risky if he drew Stoneforge or Jitte and on his next turn his draw step is Jitte and he slams it down and everyone laughs about it. He then dies to my Flickerwisp.

We had to get home at some point and it was getting late, so we decided to do a prize split in the finals so that the 2nd place got slightly better prizes to
    encourage someone to concede. After we agree on the split, I ask my opponent if he wants to concede and he does.

Finals: Opponent concedes (RUG Delver)

Overall I was very happy with the event. It ran smooth and everyone in my car reached the top 8 so the trip was a great success.

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by Bahra; 02-04-2015 at 01:11 AM.

Re: 1st at Eternal Clash 2015 with Death and Taxes

Thanks for a great report. Glad to know you're still crushing with D&T Were you happy with all the cards in your list or would you change some slots?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysandros View Post
    I'm a crusty "old" player who would play nothing but Vintage, Legacy and 93/94 if I could, so I'm probably biased...but I'll never understand the draw to Modern. It's the Communist Soviet Union of MtG formats.
    In regards to Legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimoirePath View Post
    I dont know, I guess I like the anarchistic, outlaw format that allows everything and can thrive with or without the papal blessing.

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

It's always hard to tell when someone is cheating or just making mistakes. I think it's very clear that Captain Dark Maverick was a full blown cheater but that's not something you would be able to tell straight away.

Congratulations on the finish, and a very well written report.

I also heard of alot of players, that the Dark Maverick pilot was doing alot of ..."questionable" plays.
    Great report tho!! As a local player, its great to see Flensburg getting attention on thesource :)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonslayer_90 View Post
    Thanks for a great report. Glad to know you're still crushing with D&T Were you happy with all the cards in your list or would you change some slots?
    Thanks! Even though I didn't get to use all my sideboard cards, I felt I had a very good sideboard for the event. I was always able to replace all my bad cards in a certain match up with high impact ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    It's always hard to tell when someone is cheating or just making mistakes. I think it's very clear that Captain Dark Maverick was a full blown cheater but that's not something you would be able to tell straight away.

Congratulations on the finish, and a very well written report.
    Yeah I still am not sure if he was doing it deliberately, but I believe he was just extremely sloppy. Regardless, I think that such sloppy players and actual cheaters should be treated almost the same because the end result from sloppy play like that and cheating is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by kryllex View Post
    I also heard of alot of players, that the Dark Maverick pilot was doing alot of ..."questionable" plays.
    Great report tho!! As a local player, its great to see Flensburg getting attention on thesource :)
    Thanks! I will be there next time as well if I can

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Round 4 opponent... Cancer of the format. Glad you took it, in an arms length, instead of losing your nerve.

Grats on your finish.

Mar 2010
    Aarhus, Denmark

Congratulation on the win Marc. Great to see so many Danes in the Top 8 :-)

That being said, I hate reading threads like this. Can everyone flame the Round 4 opponent any more?

I know the guy, not much, but I know him and I arrived in the same car as him and I know that he hasn't played Magic for a while, which is why, I assume, he occasionly played sloppy or slow. Call it what you want. He got Game Losses for it and he was frustrated, just like Marc was on the other side of the table. I can say for a fact, that he is no cheater and if he is a cheater, then there's A LOT of new comers in Magic out there, that can be classified as a cheater. Hell, I must have been one too.

But seeing a lot of The Source Users in here just jumping on the wagon and call him a cheater as well, with out having any knowledge at all - that's just stupid!! And calling it "Cancer", that must mean, that new comers aren't welcome into the Magic Community. Good luck play cards with yourself (you know who you are!)

Everyone strieve to be better and this flaming does NOT encourage anyone to participate in a tournament again whether it being at a LGS or a small to medium sized tournament. Try helping and give good advice. In the long run it helps everyone. Hell, it's no Bazzar of Moxen or a Legacy GP.

My 2 cent.

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

I would be more aggressive calling a judge as I have been cheated by letting the opponent free roll and take back blunders casting through tax effects. At fnm a reminder is fine but these bigger events they should be aware of their own deck's capabilities. Playing while "stressed out" is also apart of the competitive environment and is why some players prefer higher stakes events. I don't believe it's is discouraging newer players, but rather encourages them to practice more and play tighter. Players will never learn by getting free passes and foregoing consequences in an event like this and, in my opinion, should not be where you learn how your basic mechanics work. It should test your adeptness with your list against the room.

Mar 2010
    Aarhus, Denmark

Don't get me wrong - a rule violation is a rule violation and an opponent should be notified and/or called a judge upon. but don't hang an opponent out to dry because of "stressed out" situations or lack of practice. That my point. He wasn't being a douche or what ever people call their opponent in here, when pissed at somebody.

I fully understand Marc's perspective of the situation, but take it before 40 minuts has passed and call a judge earlier. I'm guessing there were two players at the table, when the first round took 40 minuts, so that could have been avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by PollePotDK View Post
    Don't get me wrong - a rule violation is a rule violation and an opponent should be notified and/or called a judge upon. but don't hang an opponent out to dry because of "stressed out" situations or lack of practice. That my point. He wasn't being a douche or what ever people call their opponent in here, when pissed at somebody.

I fully understand Marc's perspective of the situation, but take it before 40 minuts has passed and call a judge earlier. I'm guessing there were two players at the table, when the first round took 40 minuts, so that could have been avoided.
    No one is "hanging him out to dry". His identity has not even been revealed, nor is it particularly relevant. Provoking a discussion of how to handle slow play and sloppy play/cheating is fine. The name calling is a bit too much, granted. But these things should be discussed and not swept under the carpet, or people won't know how to handle such a situation in the future.

The correct way to handle the situation was calling a judge on the first game rule violation. But since I have somewhat of a reputation of being very strict with the rules and with judge calling, and I've heard people suggest that minor game rule violations should just be ignored (limited to just letting the opponent know and then keep going after the game rule violation has been corrected), I tried to be kind this time and let a lot of things slide until eventually my chance of winning was drastically reduced because I missed one of the game rule violations and I was forced to call a judge.

I would encourage everyone to ALWAYS call a judge no matter how much your opponent seems like a nice guy, and no matter how "small" the game rule violation. Since doing so will protect the integrity of the game, and force players to play tighter in a competitive setting. Breaking a rule of the game is just as bad as making a misplay, and you absolutely do not deserve to win if you constantly break the rules of the game. No matter how "perfect" the rest of your play is.

Oct 2011
    Denmark

The maverick player made quite alot of mistakes, and im sure it snowballed, as get got increasing frustrated and nervous.

I vaguely know how, and he seems just.. inexperienced with this level om competitive play, and not at all a cheater in my eyes.

Lets give them a break, in terms of talking shit about them, but calling the judge is right on
    "Brainstorm and Fetchlands are interesting although I don't know if Brainstorms alone are worth it right now, because Stifle is a common card. " -Peddi 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahra View Post
    I would encourage everyone to ALWAYS call a judge no matter how much your opponent seems like a nice guy, and no matter how "small" the game rule violation. Since doing so will protect the integrity of the game, and force players to play tighter in a competitive setting. Breaking a rule of the game is just as bad as making a misplay, and you absolutely do not deserve to win if you constantly break the rules of the game. No matter how "perfect" the rest of your play is.
    Game rule violations that are reported (warnings) are also how Wizards accumulates ammunition to suspend habitually sloppy players (cheaters) that don't get caught red handed. Bertoncini was suspended the latest time based on accumulated warnings.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Question about the deck itself.
    IN the salvation thread, people were allways arguing against playing 4 flagstone of trokair, because It's not that good in multiple and someone could wasteland you at your upkeep to effectively timewalk you.
    What's your opinion about this? how did it end up to play 4 flagstone of trokair?

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

They are not "timewalking" you. They are casting Twiddle on one of your lands in the upkeep.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

I am furious that my opponent is still undefeated only because he cheated and slow played.

I have a big problem with you slinging aorund the word cheating as you have done in your report. As you should know Cheating (when talking about MTG) means that a player broke a rule knowing in that very moment he would brake the rules. As other players have posted is seems you just played against somebody lacking experience. The fact that you seemingly (?) lost your temper or at least that you werent on an even keel in that Round of play probably led to you missing at least one important mistake of your opponent. I think it would be better for you to focus more on that topic and on yourself instead of putting the blame on the other end of the table.

The judges will take care of that either way as long as you do all the necessary judge calls and ensure that a tight and clean game is being played. This includes enforcing the opponent to count cards being drawn with Brainstorm and being put back, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by marax View Post
    I have a big problem with you slinging aorund the word cheating as you have done in your report. As you should know Cheating (when talking about MTG) means that a player broke a rule knowing in that very moment he would brake the rules. As other players have posted is seems you just played against somebody lacking experience. The fact that you seemingly (?) lost your temper or at least that you werent on an even keel in that Round of play probably led to you missing at least one important mistake of your opponent. I think it would be better for you to focus more on that topic and on yourself instead of putting the blame on the other end of the table.

The judges will take care of that either way as long as you do all the necessary judge calls and ensure that a tight and clean game is being played. This includes enforcing the opponent to count cards being drawn with Brainstorm and being put back, for example.
    I'm slinging around the word cheating? Please. I could've also used the word "stalling" since that is actually cheating as well, but I used the term "slow play". Cheating = breaking the rules of the game to gain an advantage. I don't care if you're doing it intentionally or not, the end result is the same.

What do you mean that I missed at least one important mistake of my opponent because I was furious? I wasn't furious before I lost game 1 to my opponent cheating, a game I would've 100% won if he hadn't broken the rules.

If the maverick player in question was sitting next to you when you played your DNT mirror round 5..... I played that game vs him and he forgot to protect his Knight of the Reliquary with his in game Mother of Runes vs my Abrupt Decay, which baffled me, because this is such a major mistake. He told me afterwards he was very tired from the match before(probably the game vs you). So I give him the benefit of the doubt if thats the player

If the maverick player in question was sitting next to you when you played your DNT mirror round 5..... I played that game vs him and he forgot to protect his Knight of the Reliquary with his in game Mother of Runes vs my Abrupt Decay, which baffled me, because this is such a major mistake. He told me afterwards he was very tired from the match before(probably the game vs you). So I give him the benefit of the doubt if thats the player

Quote Originally Posted by nossirag View Post
    Yeah that was him, but lets not focus on who it was, but more on how to handle these situations in general. I already said that I believe he was just very sloppy.

On another note: Why did you Abrupt Decay his Knight of the Reliquary if he had an active Mother of Runes?

Yeah that was him, but lets not focus on who it was, but more on how to handle these situations in general. I already said that I believe he was just very sloppy.

On another note: Why did you Abrupt Decay his Knight of the Reliquary if he had an active Mother of Runes?

yeah.

Hehe I was practically dead in that situation and my last out was to abrupt decay something/his lethal KotR with him letting it happen(lucky me ). I didn't topdeck anything afterwards and lost it anyway.
    btw, I was a bit sad that we didn't get matched, because I was looking forward to discuss Edric builds with you ;)

Thread Information