Thread: JEDI mind tricks a win and a Top 4 wth TES in Madrid

Nov 2011
    Madrid (Spain)

JEDI mind tricks a win and a Top 4 wth TES in Madrid

Hello today I reached the top 4 of the monthly legacy league of Madrid (Spain) featuring 50 players with TES (The EPIC Storm!!!1!1!!!), despite having played lately ANT much more I wanted to give it a try again and I thought it was a good metacall due to the more hatebears and so decks that were rising on my meta. Tes is a turn 2 deck while and is a turn 3 deck, that matters when you want to fight chalice and hatebears. Also with the banning of Treasure Cruise DRS would come back and Past in flames does not like this one mana planeswalker.
    of friday I went to a 30 people event with tes featuring no basics and won. And in the beginning I wanted to play ANT in the league because usually there are more control decks and ANT is more able to fight a longer game because of the 2 senseis divining top I play maindeck. But after wining with tes I just wanted to YOLO and went to play the new version with a few basics also anticipating the comeback of wasteland. And I was on the steak because I also won yesterday the monthly vintage league with Monastery Mentor remora deck (Its just overpowered the guy in vintage), so making it in the weekend 3 eternal tournaments a win would be really awesome over 9000.

This was the list I sleeved in and went to shuffle like a boss:

4 Polluted Delta
    2 Misty Rainforest
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Volcanic Island
    1 Island
    1 Swamp

3 Chrome Mox
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Rite of Flame

3 Infernal Tutor
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Duress
    1 Ad Nauseam
    1 Empty the Warrens

Sideboard
    3 Abrupt Decay
    3 Xantid Swarm
    1 Void Snare
    1 Bayou
    2 Pyroclasm
    1 Infernal Tutor
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Massacre

I like the massacre to have something to wish for with burning that costs no mana when thalia comes down and the rest is more or less usual. So lets start!

Round 1 miracles
    Game one he keeps sensei and counterbalance and I therapy sensei and duress the counterbalance just to win that turn.
    I side in xantid because I know he is not a bix expert of the deck and maybe he board out all the spot removal.
    +3 xantid
    +3 decay
    +1 bayou
    -1 empty
    -3 mox
    -2 ponder
    - 1 island (because post board I have 4 islands and also s 4 swamps and making duress then ritual is great)

Game two I have a mediocre hand of:
    2 Burnign wish
    Bayou
    Gitaxian
    2 decay
    Xantid
    SHOULD i HAVE MULLIGAN THIS ON THE DRAW?

May be my hand was bad but I had greed land for decay, and I was on the draw. He plays a land and passes.I draw a therapy and gitaxian him seeing this:
    Volcanic
    Jace
    Counterbalance
    Tundra
    Flooded
    Scalding
    Not a really a good hand… With the Gitaxian I draw duress, so thats party. Therapy counterbalance because It could get bad if i don't draw mana for decay soon and pass. He plays a land and passes. I draw something thats not good and duress him, he found a brainstorm and lets jace the second on top showing me only lands. So I pass he plays a land and passes. I draw another blank and pass, jace comes down. Until two turns later and two jace brainstorm and a top I get to find a second land. While this I had played a xantid that got forced and then another that got bounced. Some turns latter Im dead.

Game three we get to moment where we I draw and have:
    2 lands in play
    And in hand:
    LED
    Infernal
    Ad nauseam
    Dark ritual
    Therapy

He says stop and Vendilions me with one mana left, so I think he might be desperate and does the bad players Vendilion because he feels not safe. And here is the point, I really don't care what he takes but for me the best one is the dark ritual and the worst is the led because without ritual i can fire of nauseam and with led I can't also not fire it. Taking the led is a huge mistake due to me drawing any mana source is win. There is some justice in life and draw a petal. I evaluate the situation and get to the result he has nothing. And my game is not going any better after he untaps and start attacking. So I YOLO and Nauseam, he lets it resolve and I win. After this he show me a counterspell in hand But that Vendilion costed him the game.
    2-1

1-0 total

Round 2 Maverik
    He usually like to play GW decks like zoo or maverik But i'm much more sure when I look at his lifepad. His life go to 21, 22, 23 and his opponents to 19, 17, 11, 5. So this seems a few hits, a few swords and a big reliquary hitting two times for 6.
    ALWAYS CHANGE THE PAPER OF YOUR SCORE PADS, I HAVE KNOW WHAT SO MANY OPPONENTS PLAY JUST LOOKING AT THE LIFE…
    So I keep a hand that makes 10 tokens turn one on the play and get there easy.
    -3 duress
    +2 pyroclasm
    +1 infernal

Game two was weird because he starts with bojuka on me. I prove him seeing a thalia, a tegg, 2 moms, knight and a fetch. that quite a good hand. And mine is kinda slow. He plays the mother next turn and I therapy thalia. having pyroclasm in hand. He doesn't have a second land.. He obviously draws a canopy and plays tegg. I have to wait. Now I have a problem. I ponder and see the burning I was missing in my full mana hand but the other 2 cards are blanks, and I can't answer the mon + tegg so and will die. So I shuffle and draw a blank. He plays the knight attacks for two and passes. I draw blank and he attacked with his tegg and knight for 5. I'm at 10 now, then he plays the second mom. On my turn I draw blank and Pyroclasm him, He ask is its too all creatures and bins all 3… HE DIDN'T USE HIS ONE MOM TO GIVE PROTECTION TO THE TEGG If I would have know that the game would have been fast over. I draw 3 more turns no business and loose.

Game 3
    My hand is:
    underground
    Dark ritual
    infernal
    rite of flame
    brainstorm
    island
    misty
    I know he plays discard so I have a turn 2 win, So I just play underground and pass, If he wasteland me I just time walk me into more cards if not I win.
    He also plays the seize and I cast brainstorm drawing infernal, chrome, led. I put island under led so any card he takes I win next turn. he tries to time walk my hellbent taking the mox that would have imprinted the second infernal and I draw led and nauseam with 1 red mana floating and thats game.
    2-1

2-0 total

Round 3
    I know he plays merfolks and he know i'm on storm, He says that please don't make him 1.000.000 tokens first turn. So I write on my lifepad:
    PLAN 1: 1000000 goblins
    PLAN 2: DONT LOSE

My hand of 7 has only petal as mana and my hand of 6 has no mana. So I go down to 5 of burning, land and 3 duress. Not really good but he also mulled to 6. He starts with vial, I duress, see phantasmal, nemesis a lord and a land. Then he plays the lord. I get to empty the warrens for 10 and therapy from him 2 phantasmal. But his lord, the nemesis and a mura get to kill all my tokens being him at 8 lifes when I keep 5 tokens, I need 2 more mana to make a tendrils but I never get to them and die to his alpha strike of 15 lethals.
    I side:
    +3 xantid
    + bayou
    -1 swamp
    -2 mox
    -1 ponder

I play a fast xantid but have no win, while this he beating me down and has a dead swansong in hand, he is quite happy that i'm at seven life so he got rid of nauseam. I'm one mana short to past in flames loop him, so I smile and say that he should have now be so happy, my nauseam is good enough. I xantid and go for nauseam at 7 LIFE with no mana but also no landrop. So a few cards like led, burning, petal land and ritual later I go to two life and win against his angry face of wtf you lucksack.

Now I reboard because of his chalice and also because he starts.
    +3 xantid
    +3 decay
    +1 bayou
    -1 swamp
    -1 mox
    -2 ponder
    -2 therapy
    -1 empty (I saw jitte and I always get raced)

He keeps and plays vial on one, passes and then says like: oh, wait, Hmm ok yes your turn… This seems like a chalice… I drop a xantid and 2 leds and a petal and pass. He curses himself and says that now he will be have to play the chalice on one… he plays a cursecatcher and a silvergill and attacks then plays a second silvergill. I also attack with xantid and then cast infernal into nauseam paying into his cursecatcher. I stop on 8 life so that with his 2 silvergill he would need 2 lords and a land to win, which he didn't has for sure, he also has a jitte with 2 counters. So next turn I have to do impossible to win. I start with a xantid hit (he has 2 cards in hand and I assume no counters so he is trying to win the jitte life route) and then decay on the chalice. Now I have to play a brainstorm and draw a ritual and get rewarded. Now my hand is:
    therapy
    2 burning
    2 dark ritual
    1 rite of flame
    with one infernal and one dark ritual in grave and 2 lands and a mox in play.
    I go like:
    dark ritual BBB 3 (decay 1 and Brainstorm 2)
    dark ritual BBBBB 4
    Rite of flame RR BBBBB 5
    Burning for past in flames R BBBB 6 and a land untaped
    Tap land R BBBBBB 6
    Cabal therapy myself on burning R BBBBB 7
    Past in flames B 8
    dark ritual BBBBBBB 11
    infernal for led BBBBB 12 (I had to get hellbender)
    Led for red BBBBB RRR 13
    Burning wish for tendrils 15 (Also that why I had to discard with therapy so it has flashback)
    GG
    My opponent has a cage in hand but having to play the chalice on one stopped that.
    2-1

3-0 total

Round 4 Canadian
    Game one he is just beating with a mungo and I destroy his hand, he is hellbent and I can go fo next turn while I have now 15 lifes. I have a duress to be sure he can't draw a counter and I'm able to go of post duress. He draws a wasteland and gets rid of my volcanic (he already destroyed the other before) So I draw no red source I need to combo and pass. He draws bolts me and his mungo now gets threshold and I go to 8 after his swing. Still no red source pass. He attack me to 5 and passes. Still no red so I pass. He swings making me go 2 and show me a fresh top decked bolt.

Side nothing Muahahhaha

Game two I smell he has Vendilion and I make a cool brainstorm into an nauseam play so that he can't Vendilion me. I'm at 16 lifes when the vendilion comes and I just fetched for a volcanic to go off vs his wasteland, So I have island, swamp, mox on black and he wastelands my volcanic. I have to play the other volcanic because nauseam let me on 4 lifes so I can stand a Vendilion hit and win. Brainstorm to try to find card and have the top card setted up. He Vendilions my empty WTF? instead of the burning wish and I have to go of next turn with duress backup to his already no counter hand. Seems good right? He top decks wasteland kills my red I need to go of and I'm dead…

0-2 he wasted my happiness

3-1 total

Go make a break to eat and come back latter.
    Some cool spanish food later…

Round 5 UWR Stoneforge control THE MOST FUCKIN ROUND FOR ME
    Game one is quite simple, I know he has 2 dig, fow and pierce, sfm, explosives with 4 lands. I duress his fow and then therapy him, he makes pierce I don't pay. I YOLO again on the dig because my hand Is not really good and after resolving one and him having more chances to win is easy. I just go all in with infernal. He digs and if he find pierce or fow i'm dead. I get really fucking lucky and win BAM HEADSHOT

I side like this:
    +3 decay
    +1 bayou
    -1 swamp
    -2 mox
    -1 empty

He plays a mage, I decay, He plays a vendilion I decay,He plays another mage and another Vendlion and when I get too see his hand he has 2 fow a pierce and My hand has no discard almost no tutor because of the Vendilion and Im on 11 lifes. I'm dead 3 turns after.

Now I reside like this
    +2 decay
    +2 pyroclasm
    +1 bayou
    -1 island (I always needed more black)
    -2 mox
    -1 empty
    -1 ponder
    I should have sided the tendrils in games where long and I was able to get 8 cards strong hand to just natural storm him.

So games 3 is ONE OF THE BEST JEDI MIND TRICKS I HAVE DONE.
    This game is really long where i have in one moment a hand of 3 infernal to when I draw a discard just copy it. I have already used 1 burning (for infernal) and other 2 get countered, My opponent has a cage. I have killed with 2 pyroclasm 2 mages and the game is draw go. He has a mage on therapy, karakas and Vendlion and at one point with 2 fow 8 mana and a sword in hand. I'm at 3 lifes so I die next turn. After draw he plays the Vendlion he bounced with karakas in his turn. And sees:
    2 infernal tutor
    3 dark ritual
    2 led
    1 mox
    1 rite of flame
    I have a petal and 3 lands in play.
    So he says I keep and he is sure its impossible to lose. like 20 players are looking at us and I give a smile and say so its over. I go straight to try to win this impossible game.
    I have to say my opponent is a good player but has not played in the past years much and I had this in mind SO MAY BE I CAN JEDY HIM.
    With all security of myself I go rite of flame, he says ok, I play 1 dark ritual ask if it resolves 3 times and it does. second dark ritual also resolves (Here i don't ask) One led, he thinks and also resolves, second also resolves. no my hand is:
    2 infernal
    1 mox
    1 dark ritual
    and a huge ton of mana.
    I go really sure of myself Infernal tutor and say In response dark ritual!!!!
    He shortcuts and starts asking himself why im doing this weird thing while I still have 2 cards in hand. Ask for the mana in pool and also asks for storm (if I search tendrils its lethal) he gets nervous and says, fuck I misplayed how could I have been so dumb. Seems like my shortcut plan worked. He end up hardcasting the fow and I just cast the other infernal and he concedes.
    YUHU!!!! my plan worked, that he thought of my sure of going of moves and the weird infernal into ritual (not to dodge Vendlion) made him think far to much and ended misplaying. He thought that now I could just before infernal resolves crack led and because its mana ability he could not counter and was dead. I knew may be that he does not play much lately and my form of playing really sure of myself and so could make this happens (already happened another time where I played a infernal into a snare and responded with cabal to snare so he let all resolve and my only card in hand was lethal tendrils while he had lethal next turn and a fow in hand and after casting cabal I had no mana in pool and was dead. people make weird decisions when you cast a ritual in response to a business). His friends naming my opponent bad and the people watching doesn't believing he misplayed so and me playing so great.
    Note: I never said another thing thats misrepresenting information, like explaining wrong something or so. I just played my cards and asked for responses and so.

2-1
    4-1 totoal

Round 6 Junk pox
    ID

I ended 6th of the swiss

Top 8 UWbg Stoneforge with DRS lingering and decays
    Hes starts playing with island go and I have a really strong hand:
    2 led
    1 gitaxian
    1 delta
    1 undergound
    1 dark ritual
    1 brainstorm
    1 rite of flame
    I play gitaxian and see this:
    Counterspell
    Batterskull
    Polluted
    flooded
    Jitte
    Sword to plowshares
    Not a good hand what to say and to his bad hand I just TOP DECK and infernal and he is dead.

I side:
    + 2 pyroclasm
    + 2 decay
    +1 bayou
    +1 tendrils
    -1 island
    -3 chrome
    -1 ponder
    -1 empty

game two he plays island go, I play ponder he says ok, turn 2 I play another ponder, he says ok again and after making the 3rd landrop I go for a therapy having a duress in hand and the kill on top of my deck for next turn. He says ok. So if he thought 0 seconds on my ponders before that eliminates fluster and pierce, he would have at least thought of it a second. He also thought 0 second on the therapy its because he assumes me naming fow and he doesn't have it. So the only choice is counterspell. And obviously I hit YEAHHH!!!!! and he keeped another bad hand of this remaining:
    Swords to plowshares
    Stoneforge
    Batterskull
    Mashflat

Next turn he goes land stone into fire and ice, (that eliminates snapcaster for my equation) I duress he drew a land and make a 17 life to 4 life ad nauseam that ends in burning crack led, infernal, infernal into tendrils GG

Another nice game played^^

So top 4 Im really near of making the 3 in a row win weekend.

top 4 Lands
    game one I know my opponent has more or less no options so I keep a hand on the draw of:
    2 led
    1 burning
    1 infernal
    1 gitaxian
    2 dark ritual
    SHOULD i HAVE MULLIGAN THIS ON THE DRAW?

He starts land gamble and on my turn I draw a 3rd led play the gitaxian and see lots of nothing draw a petal and he is dead just making infernal for burning and tendrils.
    I side:
    -4 therapy
    +3 decay
    +1 bayou

(im pretty sure thats not the best configuration was what I thought)

Game 2 my hand is ok but not great and he makes turn 1 gamble for sphere of resistance and I don't hit it. Turn 2 sphere. turn 4 marit lage and I was able to make turn he hit for lethal Ad nauseam eot untap decay and win.

Game 3 Im on the play and this is my hand:
    2 led
    1 volcanic
    1 fetch
    1 swamp
    1 gitaxian
    1 rite of flame
    SHOULD i HAVE MULLIGAN THIS ON THE PLAY?

I was not sure of this, I was missing business but starting I think any of this cards get me to play more magic and win more or less:
    4 brainstorm
    4 ponder
    3 gitaxian
    3 infernal
    4 burning
    3 duress
    I think starting and having 2 draws for sure to find any of this plus that my hand was strong and had mana also to play the decay game was not so bad but I want opinions.

I gitaxian and draw island, he has wasteland, thorn of amethyst, sphere of resistance, exploration, tabernacle, punishing, bojuka, play delta and 2 leds. He starts bojuka exile my gitaxian and I draw a petal u,u play it and pass.
    He plays sphere, then thorn and so. I end up making infernal for nauseam resolving it going to 6 lifes. burning for void snare, and decay. He wastelands a bit, I get to destroy a sphere and win the race vs his lonely punishing and a grove. But him having a second punishing fire in hand makes him win one turn before and its impossible for me to get rid of both spheres and i'm dead.

So top 4 only T_T no 3 wins in the weekend (I'm sad…) I get some prize money and later go to but it with my GF eating pasta and pizza in a cool restaurant.

On the deck:
    Its really cool and its all foil, german FBB and what's not one or the other is japanese or even foil japanese. Pimp makes me happy.

But on the list:
    -Basics are ok was never really, really bad but also never the best. It's a good plan to follow.
    -I only won one game with empty the other game I did it I lost the race vs merfolks and never ever did it more. Also sided it out a lot. Its nice to have but if I never get to use it…
    - I would have liked to wish one time for thoughtseize but ended not mattering but would have never liked to have the sb discard.
    -Apart from the round vs canadian where Wasteland REALLY killed me I never got wasted and hurted.
    -The void snare in the side is cool, but always when I wished for it I was dead anyway (also happened in other events)
    -2 Pyroclasm where great
    - If this stoneforge dig deck gets more played, using a second tendrils SB to main it is not the worst plan (there were like 6 in the 50 players).
    - I never used massacre, but Its nice to have and out that cost only the burning wish mana for hatebears.
    - There is more chalice, spheres and so every day I was thinkin on may be one of this card could be ok to just have more options that doesn't care about the +1 mana of spheres or chalice on one.
    Hurkil recall
    Chain of vapor
    Meltdown

Thanks for reading and giving opinions and feedback, keep Storming.

@Pelicanudo: Look I topped with TES instead of and there you have it.
    Last edited by Togores; 01-28-2015 at 04:18 PM.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Re: JEDI mind tricks a win and a Top 4 wth TES in Madrid

Hey, pal! Took a while but here's my 0.02$ on each round:

R1 - Miracles
    G1: the classic Jab-Hook-KO. I'm used to goldfish under these circumstances and maybe this is a reason my results point me in another direction of building the deck. Dunno. I'm interrested in the Miracles build for reasons regarding EtW. I found EtW viable against non-Ponder builds, but complete jank otherwise. Boarding is fine for that layout.
    G2: you have 8 outs to find a Volcanic to do actually something with the Wishes. The hand offers three pieces of disruption and two cards which basically do nothing without 5 more mana and among them a red IMS. Mind that a Volcanic still leaves Decay uncastable while any U.Sea/Island/Swamp leaves the Wishes dead. You can't keep that hand based on T1 Xantid alone.
    G3: opponent can't count to 5

R2 - Maverick
    G1: Belcher-Mode. 10 Goblins is a but risky if he opens with DRS. Giving your opponent three turns is enough to setup Batterskull or fetch Tabernacle (if he runs it). Just food for thought here. Boarding is once more fine. I however wonder if we really need Pyroclasm or if Decay would do the job as well aka saving SB space.
    G2: 2x Mother + Teeg is near impossible to break free especially with Clasm. If you pick the Teeg instead of the Thalia, you have the option to Wish for Massacre later and sweep the board despite the Mothers (given that I have no clue about your manabase at that point). Given your Clasm had been a Decay and you have taken out the Teeg with Therapy, would it have been possible to Massacre first and Decay the Knight and win from there?
    G3: Belcher-Mimic Vol.2 ... Were your Goblins in G1 also fueled by LED? I try to expand by data-sheet to measure the importance for T1/2 combos and find statistic evidence that Chrome Mox' ability to enable Hellbent is pretty irrelevant. Thx

R3 - Meerfolk
    G1: Would have liked to see the Rest of the hand. A sole Petal isn't THAT bad depending on the Rest. A mull to 5 is :/
    G2: I'm unsure about the boarding. I know Meerfolk players who Maindeck Chalice, so I tend to bring in Decays at times in place of the Duress' otherwise a T2 Chalice @1 + FoW gets really nasty even if you run Xantids (which could get countered like your other protection). Just something to have in mind. Rest of the game in 3 letters: lol
    G3: here come the Decays I talked about. I'm surprisingly also not THE biggest fan of EtW here, so boarding it out is valid. I would have cutted Duress' instead of Therapies because of the fact that you can mess with their 4-off lords and Cursecatchers which is relevant once you want to go for the SB EtW and win the race. He fucks up by not playing the Chalice in two consecutive turns ... sometimes you can't help people ... geez

R4 - Canadian
    G1: You ate double Wasteland on your Volcanics? Harsh. Am I mistaken if I suspect that Basics did nothing to affect that game?
    G2: once more it appears to be the case that you were choose on BR for your combo turn. Did the Basics at least stabilize the early game?

R5 - UWR Blade
    G1: I'm writing all this on my iPhone4 and it begins to feel like torture, Rodrigo xD. Anyways, we have another scenario for double Discard out of 7 in the MB. I know why I'm so used to play Virtual 10 of them. Better lucky than good, I guess. I like your bravery, man.
    G2: Fine boarding. EtW is so-so depending if you can dodge the Skull. All Mages on Wish, I guess? You can't win them all...
    G3: I still dislike the Island from my last testing with Basics, but I think it's still better than the 3rd Mox. I have no clue what he thought at that point with the Infernal. Period

R6 - Junk
    ID: why not

Top 8 - Deathblade
    G1: Belcher ftw! Once again: LED; no Mox involved.
    G2: i don't like the MB ToA because post-AN the access to it is limited and expensive unless you flip itself. Rest of the boarding mimics the match before. His keep was bad once again and it did not even matter if you hit with the Therapy. Neat.

Top 4 - Lands
    G1: Mother of God! Any Black IMS and you explode. I couldn't resist this keep either. Boarding isn't bad, I just fear Tabernacle so keeping EtW is risky. I prefer the 4th infernal against a possible Wasteland lock making the SB IT playline hard to execute
    G2: happens.
    G3: this might be exceptional, but given the mana you have in your hand and the business you need paired with his 2cc hate, I would have fetched an U.Sea before probing and lowering the Chance to draw more lands slightly. Even if he has Wasteland, you lose nothing with Swamp+Volcanic still delivering all colors you need but with him possibly delaying his 2cc hate the turn you possibly need to draw into business. Being greedy in this situation would've possibly been better.

Sorry for the delay ;D
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Bryant Cook

Your list is short a card, I'm thinking it's the 13th land?

R1- Sideboarding: Siding out either basic is fine, there’s arguments for both. Siding out Island over Swamp makes casting Abrupt Decay easier and Island makes opening hands more keepable due to cantrips. Swamp also allows us to play around Blood Moon effects easier for what it’s worth.
    R1-G2: Mulligan: It doesn’t do anything.

R2- Sideboarding: I would’ve boarded in Void Snare over Infernal Tutor. Empty & Past in Flames aren’t always great against Maverick due to their Graveyard removal and Stoneforge Mystic into Batterskull. Plus, having answers in your opener is really nice in this match-up.
    G3 – You should’ve lead with the fetchland since it can’t be Wastelanded.

R3- Sideboarding: This was fine.
    R4- Sideboarding: This was fine.

R5- Sideboarding: I don’t like sideboarding in Decays versus Blade decks with Wasteland, the Pyroclasms will be more than enough for Meddling Mage. I think it’s oversideboarding, bringing in the Tendrils wouldn’t hurt either.

R7- Sideboarding: I don’t like sideboarding in Decays versus Blade decks with Wasteland, the Pyroclasms will be more than enough for Meddling Mage. By siding out that many Chrome Mox, you’ve really hurt your Empty plan as well as your Ad Nauseams.

R8-G1: Keep, you have two chances on the first turn to just kill him. Not to mention if you even draw the black source on turn four, lands doesn’t do anything. Win then.
    R8- Sideboarding: This was fine.
    R8-G3: I would probably keep this hand, but I’m a greedy person.

@Lemnear- “G3: Belcher-Mimic Vol.2 ... Were your Goblins in G1 also fueled by LED? I try to expand by data-sheet to measure the importance for T1/2 combos and find statistic evidence that Chrome Mox' ability to enable Hellbent is pretty irrelevant. Thx”

Chrome Mox in the intial turns is primarily for providing not hellbent, but additional early mana. Being able to Ponder into a missing piece with a land, play Mox removing a Duress and then to cast Dark Ritual to begin comboing is critical in a match-up like Death and Taxes. Where additional lands would only hurt you. But Chrome Mox does have a theoretical upside of in some situations on turn 2-4 removing a card from your hand to become hellbent when you don’t have a Lion’s Eye Diamond.
    Last edited by Bryant Cook; 01-28-2015 at 04:06 PM.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

I don't question the role of the Moxen to explode T1/2 and never have. I'm just convinced that the access to LED is far more relevant to combo T1/2 than the single mana provided by the Mox or the possible hellbent by imprinting a card. The number of times I was able to Tutor for AN w/o LED in the beforementioned timeframe is diminishing low, so I try to find not only statistical evidence of how relevant Moxen actually are (with and without LED) early, but also how their value drops over turns. I missed to do this before I switched to Sol Lands and I find this topic highly interresting to explore.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I don't question the role of the Moxen to explode T1/2 and never have. I'm just convinced that the access to LED is far more relevant to combo T1/2 than the single mana provided by the Mox or the possible hellbent by imprinting a card. The number of times I was able to Tutor for AN w/o LED in the beforementioned timeframe is diminishing low, so I try to find not only statistical evidence of how relevant Moxen actually are (with and without LED) early, but also how their value drops over turns. I missed to do this before I switched to Sol Lands and I find this topic highly interresting to explore.
    Sure, but we're not discussing LED versus Chrome Mox. We can't, there is no running eight Lion's Eye Diamond. Of course LED is better than Chrome Mox for a quick combo, but "Sol Lands" are worse than LED too.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    Sure, but we're not discussing LED versus Chrome Mox. We can't, there is no running eight Lion's Eye Diamond. Of course LED is better than Chrome Mox for a quick combo, but "Sol Lands" are worse than LED too.
    My personal question to myself is a different one: "Are Sol Lands better than Moxen for enabling a combo, if we don't have LED at hand?"

Join us at Facebook!

Nov 2011
    Madrid (Spain)

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Hey, pal! Took a while but here's my 0.02$ on each round:

R1 - Miracles
    G1: the classic Jab-Hook-KO. I'm used to goldfish under these circumstances and maybe this is a reason my results point me in another direction of building the deck. Dunno. I'm interrested in the Miracles build for reasons regarding EtW. I found EtW viable against non-Ponder builds, but complete jank otherwise. Boarding is fine for that layout.
    He had no ponders, Madrid people dont play poders usualy.
    G2: you have 8 outs to find a Volcanic to do actually something with the Wishes. The hand offers three pieces of disruption and two cards which basically do nothing without 5 more mana and among them a red IMS. Mind that a Volcanic still leaves Decay uncastable while any U.Sea/Island/Swamp leaves the Wishes dead. You can't keep that hand based on T1 Xantid alone.
    Yeah I keep a bad hand and was punished, that was the reason I posted it. To know If im crazy (like I was) or its fine. Thanks
    G3: opponent can't count to 5

R2 - Maverick
    G1: Belcher-Mode. 10 Goblins is a but risky if he opens with DRS. Giving your opponent three turns is enough to setup Batterskull or fetch Tabernacle (if he runs it). Just food for thought here. Boarding is once more fine. I however wonder if we really need Pyroclasm or if Decay would do the job as well aka saving SB space.
    I dont know if any maverik (was more GWb zenith srry) runs Tabernacle. Yes 10 tokens is a bit risky but for turn one on the play its fine I think, I can also find discard for his equipment in the future.
    G2: 2x Mother + Teeg is near impossible to break free especially with Clasm. If you pick the Teeg instead of the Thalia, you have the option to Wish for Massacre later and sweep the board despite the Mothers (given that I have no clue about your manabase at that point). Given your Clasm had been a Decay and you have taken out the Teeg with Therapy, would it have been possible to Massacre first and Decay the Knight and win from there?
    I was low on lands and he had wastelands so I would not be able to pay thalia tax
    G3: Belcher-Mimic Vol.2 ... Were your Goblins in G1 also fueled by LED? I try to expand by data-sheet to measure the importance for T1/2 combos and find statistic evidence that Chrome Mox' ability to enable Hellbent is pretty irrelevant. Thx
    Im prety sure I had led in my hand to fuell the g1 goblins

R3 - Meerfolk
    G1: Would have liked to see the Rest of the hand. A sole Petal isn't THAT bad depending on the Rest. A mull to 5 is :/
    I had no ponder, gitaxian or brainstorm, Like 2 wishes, empty, and so...
    G2: I'm unsure about the boarding. I know Meerfolk players who Maindeck Chalice, so I tend to bring in Decays at times in place of the Duress' otherwise a T2 Chalice @1 + FoW gets really nasty even if you run Xantids (which could get countered like your other protection). Just something to have in mind. Rest of the game in 3 letters: lol
    this game I tryed to race or discard the chalice because I was on the play, may be was a bad idea... Latter I sided the decay for beaing on the draw.
    G3: here come the Decays I talked about. I'm surprisingly also not THE biggest fan of EtW here, so boarding it out is valid. I would have cutted Duress' instead of Therapies because of the fact that you can mess with their 4-off lords and Cursecatchers which is relevant once you want to go for the SB EtW and win the race. He fucks up by not playing the Chalice in two consecutive turns ... sometimes you can't help people ... geez
    :D

R4 - Canadian
    G1: You ate double Wasteland on your Volcanics? Harsh. Am I mistaken if I suspect that Basics did nothing to affect that game?
    I had a hand with discard, one game I had both basics on table and, the other I had the swamp, and I had no more IMS so I had to fetch for volcanic, to cast a cantrip, he wastelanded but I drew the other volcanic naturaly, I had to cast another cantrip because I was missing pieces and to Dodge daze to combo next turn, and he topdecked another wasteland.
    G2: once more it appears to be the case that you were choose on BR for your combo turn. Did the Basics at least stabilize the early game?

R5 - UWR Blade
    G1: I'm writing all this on my iPhone4 and it begins to feel like torture, Rodrigo xD. Anyways, we have another scenario for double Discard out of 7 in the MB. I know why I'm so used to play Virtual 10 of them. Better lucky than good, I guess. I like your bravery, man.
    YOLO, and thanks for the work :3
    G2: Fine boarding. EtW is so-so depending if you can dodge the Skull. All Mages on Wish, I guess? You can't win them all...
    No, 1st mage was on infernal, the another on burning and last one on decay I think.
    G3: I still dislike the Island from my last testing with Basics, but I think it's still better than the 3rd Mox. I have no clue what he thought at that point with the Infernal. Period
    As I explained he is good player but hasnt played much last years, So He thought I if he let the ritual resolve I could crack led and he could not respond to it for me using mana avility so If he dosnt counter he dies, I gambled on this and won. As written on the led ruling its just a weird card.

R6 - Junk
    ID: why not

Top 8 - Deathblade
    G1: Belcher ftw! Once again: LED; no Mox involved.
    G2: i don't like the MB ToA because post-AN the access to it is limited and expensive unless you flip itself. Rest of the boarding mimics the match before. His keep was bad once again and it did not even matter if you hit with the Therapy. Neat.
    Was more a control esper blade with decay tan a deathblade, He played nemesis, lingering, counterspell, only 2 deathrite and SFM. No wastelands.

Top 4 - Lands
    G1: Mother of God! Any Black IMS and you explode. I couldn't resist this keep either. Boarding isn't bad, I just fear Tabernacle so keeping EtW is risky. I prefer the 4th infernal against a possible Wasteland lock making the SB IT playline hard to execute
    Thinking later empty is quite bad, he has tabernacle + 4 gamble + x crop rotations...
    G2: happens.
    G3: this might be exceptional, but given the mana you have in your hand and the business you need paired with his 2cc hate, I would have fetched an U.Sea before probing and lowering the Chance to draw more lands slightly. Even if he has Wasteland, you lose nothing with Swamp+Volcanic still delivering all colors you need but with him possibly delaying his 2cc hate the turn you possibly need to draw into business. Being greedy in this situation would've possibly been better.
    I wanted to not fetch to could be able to get the bayou for decay latter.

Sorry for the delay ;D

Thanks for everything :D

Nov 2011
    Madrid (Spain)

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    Your list is short a card, I'm thinking it's the 13th land?

R1- Sideboarding: Siding out either basic is fine, there’s arguments for both. Siding out Island over Swamp makes casting Abrupt Decay easier and Island makes opening hands more keepable due to cantrips. Swamp also allows us to play around Blood Moon effects easier for what it’s worth.
    R1-G2: Mulligan: It doesn’t do anything.

R2- Sideboarding: I would’ve boarded in Void Snare over Infernal Tutor. Empty & Past in Flames aren’t always great against Maverick due to their Graveyard removal and Stoneforge Mystic into Batterskull. Plus, having answers in your opener is really nice in this match-up.
    G3 – You should’ve lead with the fetchland since it can’t be Wastelanded.
    Yeah void snare could be good, but wanted somehting to get rid of tegg in the SB.
    Also I thought a lot on what land to play. I decided the underground Because I could just time walk myself, And didnt wanted to get screwed on black. If he does some weird stuff. May be right. but I saw no big downside on playing the usea.

R3- Sideboarding: This was fine.
    R4- Sideboarding: This was fine.

R5- Sideboarding: I don’t like sideboarding in Decays versus Blade decks with Wasteland, the Pyroclasms will be more than enough for Meddling Mage. I think it’s oversideboarding, bringing in the Tendrils wouldn’t hurt either.
    He had 3 mages 2 vendilions, It was a uwr blade without wastelands, jaces, digs, snapcasters and counterspells.

R7- Sideboarding: I don’t like sideboarding in Decays versus Blade decks with Wasteland, the Pyroclasms will be more than enough for Meddling Mage. By siding out that many Chrome Mox, you’ve really hurt your Empty plan as well as your Ad Nauseams.
    He was again in a deck without wastelands but with explosives and zelous persecution.

R8-G1: Keep, you have two chances on the first turn to just kill him. Not to mention if you even draw the black source on turn four, lands doesn’t do anything. Win then.
    R8- Sideboarding: This was fine.
    R8-G3: I would probably keep this hand, but I’m a greedy person.

@Lemnear- “G3: Belcher-Mimic Vol.2 ... Were your Goblins in G1 also fueled by LED? I try to expand by data-sheet to measure the importance for T1/2 combos and find statistic evidence that Chrome Mox' ability to enable Hellbent is pretty irrelevant. Thx”

Chrome Mox in the intial turns is primarily for providing not hellbent, but additional early mana. Being able to Ponder into a missing piece with a land, play Mox removing a Duress and then to cast Dark Ritual to begin comboing is critical in a match-up like Death and Taxes. Where additional lands would only hurt you. But Chrome Mox does have a theoretical upside of in some situations on turn 2-4 removing a card from your hand to become hellbent when you don’t have a Lion’s Eye Diamond.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

@ Canadian
    Would you say, now a week later, that you needed to expose your last red Source in Volcanic to Wasteland in this G1?

@ Meddling Mages
    Was there no Chance to overrun him with Goblins or just Tendrils him out if he Drops the first Mage on Infernal?

Join us at Facebook!

Nov 2011
    Madrid (Spain)

@canadian
    I had to expose it for one reason or another. Im not a bug fan of exposings lands. If u see me playing im really conservative with my lands. I even fall to make landrops to conserve my lands. So im 100% sure I had to do so.

@mage both games he landed explosives on 0 turn 1-2 also one of them having academy ruins. When he named infernal my hand was not able to go off because he had 2 counters. I try to capitalize on this kind of plays but usualy when they call infernal i enf up having multiple in hand.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Togores View Post
    @canadian
    I had to expose it for one reason or another. Im not a bug fan of exposings lands. If u see me playing im really conservative with my lands. I even fall to make landrops to conserve my lands. So im 100% sure I had to do so.

@mage both games he landed explosives on 0 turn 1-2 also one of them having academy ruins. When he named infernal my hand was not able to go off because he had 2 counters. I try to capitalize on this kind of plays but usualy when they call infernal i enf up having multiple in hand.
    Thanks for clearing up. EE + Mage @ IT is indeed not funny

Join us at Facebook!

Thread Information