Thread: T4, Eternal Clash w. Lands

Oct 2011
    Denmark

3rd, Eternal Clash w. Lands

played lands again in a smallish 69 Player international event, travelling to flensburg Germany to play with teammate Marc König.

I played a version that I tuned to the imaginary post ban meta, but i faced a really strange meta of 69 decks, ONE miracles among them, and perhaps 2-3 storm combo decks. (WTF) While scouting prior to the event, i made som last minute changes and put the second Engineered explosives back in, there was loads of tribal, maverick, and other mid rangy decks.

I expected more storm combo, and more miracles, than pre-bannings.

The list:

3 intuition
    2 punishing fire
    4 exploration
    1 worm harvest
    1 sylvan library
    1 abrupt decay
    3 crop rotation
    4 life from the loam

4 mox diamond
    2 engineered explosives
    1 smokestack
    1 ensnaring bridge

3 maze of ith
    4 rishadan port
    4 wasteland
    1 glacial chasm
    1 dark depths
    1 ghost quarter
    1 academy ruins
    2 thespians stage
    1 the tabernacle at pendrell vale
    3 different fetches
    2 tolaria west
    3 tropical island
    1 savannah
    1 bayou
    1 forest
    2 grove of the burnwillows
    1 karakas
    1 urborg, tomb of yagwmoth
    1 bojuka bog.

Notable maindeck changes:
    -2 punishing fire
    -1 taiga
    -1 zuran orb

+ 1 ensnaring bridge
    + 1 abrupt decay
    + 1 karakas
    + 1 worm harvest

Sideboard:
    4 Dark confidant
    4 sphere of resistance
    2 chalice of the void
    2 ethersworn canonist
    1 abrupt decay
    1 containment priest
    1 thrun the last troll

Changes to sideboard, almost too many to mention. Containment priest could have been decay, or thrun coulda been 2x containment priest, but seeing so little miracles, i cut a decay before the event and added the random priest vs alot of DnT, and some elves mainly.

Round 1:
    Vs Villads.

Game1
    He is playing deathblade/whatever UBW and curses his luck before we start :)
    I introduce him to Marit Lage, avatar on turn 3, as he has a board of island, island. (won die roll like boss)
    He swords it, and i reintroduce him to it, two turns later. He has a batterskull attacking me, and liliana in play, so im forced to kill lilly first. This gives him time to get the second swords and im stuck at 55 life.
    Two turns later, Marit lage says hello again, and is forced yet again, to kill a lilliana. I found a maze, stopping his batterskull-timewalking, and after untapping for the 6th turn with a Marit lage on the board, i finall win, while at 46 life.

Game2:
    Cannot remember what i boarded, but my guess would be that it included confidants and chalices vs bojuka bog, intuition, 1 life from the loam and worm harvest.
    He starts, so i go unfair with a turn one of: Exploration, mox, loam and started wastelocking him. two turns later tabernacle shows up. He never draws more than 2-3 lands and its quickly over.

Round two: Arne on Maverick
    As he shuffles my deck, he flips over two cards face up on the table, and i call the judge over. Firs the judge says its fine and nothing happens. I tell the judge that i bet he is wrong, he talks to the other judge and correctly issues Arne a warning (sorry arne, you are a good guy, and we played the games in a friendly manner).

Game1:
    I again all my mental ability and win the die roll!
    This leads to a turn one Sylvan Library, turn 3 smokestack, that sticks around with two counters on it for a while, untill arne finally scoops, to zero permanents.

Game 2:
    My notes say i bring in: 4 Black dudes, 1 green dude, 1 white dude and abrupt decay.
    Since Arne is starting, i better do something awesome. He has a turn two thalia, but by then i have a board of: Exploration, Exploration, Maze of Ith, Maze of ith, 2 lands. I even find a confidant to join my side, but he instantly has the swords for it. Tabernacle +his own thalia keeps him from casting stuff. As wastelands start showing up, he quickly ends up with zero permanents again, and concedes.

Round 3: Steffen/Stefan/Something Möller, the token Miracles player

I know him from other events, and he usually play quite well, mostly control decks, so im already looking forward to some challening games.

Game 1:
    He has the audacity to win the die roll.
    He starts with island, ponder, island... so im thinking it might be omni.
    So i make turn 3 marit lage. He untaps and plows it. (fml)
    It now becomes clear that he is on miracles, but having counterbalance, with no top, for a while, lets me develop my board. He then gets jace online, and things are looking grim, vs my board of lands and nothing. I dredge ever turn for a few turns, getting my loam countered. Until finally worm harvest comes along. I end up ghost quartering my tabernacle, and waiting a few turns for my 3rd green source untill i can cast my wor He counters it once showing force on top, jaces and im now sure that force is on top again, so i ghost quarter him before casting harvest, forcing the shuffle. and it resolves, leaving me with 24 worms in total, half of them killing jace.

He untaps and makes 11 angels, enough for me to not be able to swing for lethal. I get ensnaring bridge to stop him from counterswinging, and its a looong game. I get a smokestack online, with both of us having roughly 40 permanents :) He has bout 12 cards left in his library, when he realises he cannot stop me from worm harvesting, even if i wait to naturally draw a land to pitch, after i kill a second jace, he concedes. Nice comeback, and time is at 15 minutes.

Game 2:
    I struggle a bit on the mana as he gets counterbalance and jace again. I try to punishing fire jace, but its not working and jace is ticking up. I see where this is going, and stop casting spells and lands. Time is called and he ulties jace. My library now becomes the cards from my hand, just enough to not lose to decking in the extra rounds and i win the match!

Round 4 vs Ingo on Grixis delver, ala treasure cruise
    I apply superior mental capacity and win the die roll.

Game 1:
    He starts out strong with delver, that meets punishing fire. Another of the same joins. and he develops a board of:
    1 flipped delver, 1 unflipped delver, 1 deathrite shaman, 1 young pyromancer and 3 pyrotokens.

He has 3 lands.

Vs
    My 6 lands, including tabernacle. 1 card in my hand and 6 life.

I then win the game. EoT i return punishing fire. Play EE for 0, pass the turn.
    He tanks so long, that in the end i ask for the judge. He finally makes a move and uses deathrite to get me to 4 life. Then pays to keep flipped delver and young pyromancer. I Use explosives to kill delver, and punishing fire to kil pyro. Leaving him with 3 tapped lands and nothing.

Two turns later he has 0 permanents and scoops.

Game 2:
    I quickly introduce him to Marit Lage, and its deadly experience for him.

This leaves me at 4-0 of the 7 rounds tournament.

Round 5: Vs Mads(from my car) with infect
    Like the champ i am, i win the die roll.
    My notes are kinda fuzzy, this is the win and in for both of us.
    Game one: i EE two creatues and lock him out of the game w. wastes,

game two, i get chalice 1, chalice two. He, eventually finds a krosan grip and kills chalice 1, then kills me.

Game three goes long, i copy his inkmoth nexus, while keeping his tapped, and swing into him for 7 infect :) This was quite hilarious, but too slow, and we play a natural draw.

Round 6: vs Thore on BUG
    I am apprently something close to 25-2 in paper magic playing this matchup (you know who you are).
    I obviously banter with him, he tells me he hasnt lost a boarded game all day, i tell him i always beat his deck.

Game 1 :
    My note pad has me taking damage twice, him fetching twice and conceding to 0 permanents.

Game 2: Turn 5 Marit Lage wants to get personal, Thore isnt ready for the commitment and quickly scoops.
    Im now locked for top 8, and wait arounds for Mads and Marc, who arent quite at fast (Lands.dec, fast etc, jokes go here) they both win, and we can all draw into top 8.

Round 7: ID

Quarter Final vs Steffen, another danish guy in germany with MUD
    We talk about the matchups before seating for the top8 is announced, and no one remembers what my opponent is playing. At first it looks like 12post, and i do an internal fistpump. He then plays ancient tomb, and its clearly mud, and make a smaller internal fistpump and hope to doge metalworker.

Game 1:
    He opens and wastes my land early, and again i fistpump. He then plays chalice 0, then chalice 2, into my board of rishadan port, 2x duals. I have EE in hand, so i just waste him in return, relax, untap. When ready i tap port for colorless, drop CC 1 EE for 0, and kills his stuff, then loam and wastelock him ftw.

Game two:
    My turn one is exploration, mox, land, Dark confidant.
    He plays crucible, and i cleverly topdeck decay for it. He tries to race for a cuple of turns, even getting a forgemaster into play, but with no artifacts. Im holding the lone confinement priest and eventually just play it for beats. Soon his board is all gone and he if forced to scoop it up. My best matchup, his worst, in t he top 8. Two bug decks also made it, and im hoping to face either of those.

Semi Finals:
    My opponen is on rug, and basically beats me in 3 games. The key point was during game 3, where i have 4 turns to draw a manasource to win it w. Marit lage, but it doesnt happen.

Marc also wins his semi, and i rig the prizes by suggesting the best card be given to the 2. place finisher. Alle agree and Marcs finals opponent concedes so we can all get in the car and go home :)

All in all very succesfull trip, all of us top8ing.

Slops to me for not figuring out the meta correctly.
    Props to all 3 of us for kicking butt!
    Props to the organizers for creating this sweet event for us, and for chosing a location right next to Otto Duborg, providing me w. 4kgs of cando at 1/4th the price!

Updated list of Lands.dec ive played outside of my native Denmark(no events omitted):

GP Amsterdam 2011: #109 th of 1879. 10-3-3
    GP Ghent 2012: #16th of 1345. 12-2-2
    Bazaar of Moxen 2014 secondary event: #7th of 93. 5-1-1
    Prague Eternal 2014: #21 of 148. 6-2-0
    super sunday series GP NJ: 22 nd of 450. 7-2-1
    SCG: Richmond 72 nd of 225. 4-2-3
    Eternal clash 2015 : 3/4th of 69. 5-0-2

Total score: 49-12-12.
    Last edited by Phelix; 02-19-2015 at 06:44 AM.
    "Brainstorm and Fetchlands are interesting although I don't know if Brainstorms alone are worth it right now, because Stifle is a common card. " -Peddi 2015.

Re: T4, Eternal Clash w. Lands

Very inspirational report, I can't wait for our FNM to test something similar.

Thanks for the report Phelix! Very hilarious. I was laughing through out lol. I hope that Foil Confidant I got to you is serving you well
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysandros View Post
    I'm a crusty "old" player who would play nothing but Vintage, Legacy and 93/94 if I could, so I'm probably biased...but I'll never understand the draw to Modern. It's the Communist Soviet Union of MtG formats.
    In regards to Legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimoirePath View Post
    I dont know, I guess I like the anarchistic, outlaw format that allows everything and can thrive with or without the papal blessing.

Oct 2011
    Denmark

Yes, its kicking butt with its 3 japanese foil brothers :)
    "Brainstorm and Fetchlands are interesting although I don't know if Brainstorms alone are worth it right now, because Stifle is a common card. " -Peddi 2015.

Thread Information