Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Article] Legacy Life After Treasure Cruise

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

[Article] Legacy Life After Treasure Cruise

Hey guys,

my new article is up! Let me know how you liked it!

If you'd like more Legacy (also non-Miracle) content on SCG, let them know.

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Re: [Article] Legacy Life After Treasure Cruise

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    Hey guys,

my new article is up! Let me know how you liked it!

If you'd like more Legacy (also non-Miracle) content on SCG, let them know.

Greetings
    As well written as this was, I can't help but find it... predictable(?). TLDR: "Decks that cruise pushed out, namely non-blue attrition strategies, will be back!" ...Obviously

The miracle piece focus was good: any chance to hear a good players discussing the philosophy of their deck is worth it.
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Overall, you did not talk about Junk enough, otherwise, good read ;)

May 2011
    Noricum

Thank you very much for the feedback.

Tamnit, I wanted to write about something else, trust me. But it was made rather clear to me that people want to read this, from both players and SCG. So I wrote yet another of these articles that people want to read. I'd also like to explore new areas but as of now, they don't seem really open to me.

I hope you still enjoyed it and/or learned a little bit. :)

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

Thank you very much for the feedback.

Tamnit, I wanted to write about something else, trust me. But it was made rather clear to me that people want to read this, from both players and SCG. So I wrote yet another of these articles that people want to read. I'd also like to explore new areas but as of now, they don't seem really open to me.

I hope you still enjoyed it and/or learned a little bit. :)

Greetings
    Honestly, I'd like to see a set of articles from you re-grounding classic theory articles from MTG's history, with miracles vs other decks as case studies.

May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by amalek0 View Post
    Honestly, I'd like to see a set of articles from you re-grounding classic theory articles from MTG's history, with miracles vs other decks as case studies.
    I'd love to write that!

But I'm not sure I can do that on SCG, unless they get enough E-Mails telling them that.

The other possibility is waiting for the new MTG Madness website, where I was promised a fixed/regular spot as a Legacy writer and, looking at the past, they have hardly any regulations on what I'm writing. We will see. :)

Greetings

I'd love to write that!

But I'm not sure I can do that on SCG, unless they get enough E-Mails telling them that.

The other possibility is waiting for the new MTG Madness website, where I was promised a fixed/regular spot as a Legacy writer and, looking at the past, they have hardly any regulations on what I'm writing. We will see. :)

Greetings
    The worst you can do is write the article, get it all nice and researched and drafted, then if ceddy boy doesn't want it, I'm sure there are websites that would. I feel like you have an advantage over a lot of other flash-in-the-pan MTG writers in that you have a thorough understanding and eloquence with respect to the actual nuts-and-bolts theory of how magic strategy pans out, not just the "these cards are good, these are bad, because they do/don't fit our gameplan" explanations that is all most writers can churn out. No disrespect to the accomplishments of others, but it's the theorists like you and Carsten (and Frank Karsten for that matter) that write the articles that maintain relevance over time, because they apply to more than just a given metagame or deck. We've all read "who's the beatdown" and "the philosophy of fire" even if we didn't agree with everything in them right?

May 2011
    Noricum

Thanks for the kind and encouraging words!

As soon as I'm back from Hawaii at the beginning of March I might actually do just that. :)

Greetings

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by amalek0 View Post
    The worst you can do is write the article, get it all nice and researched and drafted, then if ceddy boy doesn't want it, I'm sure there are websites that would. I feel like you have an advantage over a lot of other flash-in-the-pan MTG writers in that you have a thorough understanding and eloquence with respect to the actual nuts-and-bolts theory of how magic strategy pans out, not just the "these cards are good, these are bad, because they do/don't fit our gameplan" explanations that is all most writers can churn out. No disrespect to the accomplishments of others, but it's the theorists like you and Carsten (and Frank Karsten for that matter) that write the articles that maintain relevance over time, because they apply to more than just a given metagame or deck. We've all read "who's the beatdown" and "the philosophy of fire" even if we didn't agree with everything in them right?
    And if no one takes it, post it here
    Matt Bevenour in real life

May 2011
    Noricum

I just asked the person in charge over at MTG Madness and it seems as nothing would stand in contradiction to these article(s), starting around March as soon as I'm back. :)

Well, these things are a lot of work to just post them on an open forum, though. :)

Greetings

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Where ever you end up I am sure there will be a crowd of readers willing to follow. You do have some strong opinions; but at least you back them up with results. I also agree that Wasteland will be on the rise again.
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

May 2011
    Noricum

Quote Originally Posted by lyracian View Post
    Where ever you end up I am sure there will be a crowd of readers willing to follow. You do have some strong opinions; but at least you back them up with results. I also agree that Wasteland will be on the rise again.
    Thank you very much, Sir. :)

Greetings

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Are the UWr Miracles players I'm facing in tournaments just bad, or is BUG Delver a much harder matchup for this deck than you seem to let on? I'm not trying to brag here, but I'm fairly certain I'm undefeated against this deck in tournament rounds with BUG Delver. Hymn to Tourach gets me ahead on cards, Abrupt Decay deals with Counterbalance and Rest in Peace, and resolving a Sylvan Library pretty much seals the deal. Granted I have a sideboard that's pretty strong against UWr and have also played the matchup enough to know the correct lines of play, and it also seems like the Miracles players in my meta aren't running as many copies of Entreat the Angels as you recommend. But overall I've never felt like this was an 'impossible' matchup for me.

I can see how other Delver strategies suffer a lot more from not having an out to a resolved Counterbalance, but I doubt that BUG is as simple of a matchup for Miracles.

His name is not unknown in these woods.
    Aug 2006
    Area 88

Yeah, Miracles has a rough time against BUG. I think the only time I've lost to that deck is when they stick a blood moon I'm not ready for or I keep a weak hand and Jace resolves and goes unanswered for a few turns.
    they haunt minds...

May 2011
    Noricum

My experience is quite the opposite, good Sirs. For example, when I heard from a friend that my R15 opponent at GP Paris was BUG Delver I was very happy, like very very happy. I already felt like I was in the Top8, what could possibly go wrong? It's not as autowin-ey as Patriot, but still incredibly positive and very hard to lose. I think it's just you being outstandingly well experienced in BUG and therefore crushing a MU, that would otherwise be bad or you prepare exceedingly well for it while your opponent doesn't even bring Disenchant. Unless you load up very aggressively on Null Rods, Bitterblossoms, Pithing Needles, Sylvan Library... well - unless you pack like all of them, you're falling prey to the good old Disenchant, Snapcaster Disenchant. I am sorry for my short response, I'm just gathering all my stuff before Im leaving for Hawaii, but I might write something more later, in a few days or maybe a week.

Greetings

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

I would be pretty happy if Miracles brought in Disenchant against me, as that's an incredibly narrow answer to a very small portion of the deck. I'd also prefer if a Miracles opponent forgoes Rest in Peace for Snapcaster Mage, this just means my Deathrites and Goyfs remain suitable threats.

It's not an auto-win for BUG either, but I'd rather face a durdling control deck like Miracles instead of some sort of midrange Aggro.

I just don't find UWR Miracles to be quite the juggernaut you claim it to be. Maybe it has to do with the US metagame being so different? It seems like the deck struggles against stuff like Jund, DnT, Junk/Nic Fit, Eldrazi Ramp, MUD, Shardless BUG, Elves (to an extent), Infect (again, to an extent), UBx planeswalker type decks, etc... Fast combo even has a fairly good shot of just getting there. Idk, mostly it just seems like Miracles ends up in the draw bracket and fails to top 8 consistently.

May 2011
    Noricum

I am sorry if I appear disrespectful. But when you don't bring in Disenchant and don't understand its value from the Delver side of the board, then you have no, literally no, idea how this match-up plays out. I am sorry.

Greetings

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Quote Originally Posted by wcm8 View Post
    I would be pretty happy if Miracles brought in Disenchant against me, as that's an incredibly narrow answer to a very small portion of the deck. I'd also prefer if a Miracles opponent forgoes Rest in Peace for Snapcaster Mage, this just means my Deathrites and Goyfs remain suitable threats.

It's not an auto-win for BUG either, but I'd rather face a durdling control deck like Miracles instead of some sort of midrange Aggro.

I just don't find UWR Miracles to be quite the juggernaut you claim it to be. Maybe it has to do with the US metagame being so different? It seems like the deck struggles against stuff like Jund, DnT, Junk/Nic Fit, Eldrazi Ramp, MUD, Shardless BUG, Elves (to an extent), Infect (again, to an extent), UBx planeswalker type decks, etc... Fast combo even has a fairly good shot of just getting there. Idk, mostly it just seems like Miracles ends up in the draw bracket and fails to top 8 consistently.
    This is very much my experience as well. One guy at my local has put together a Miracle list that I consider to be about even against me when I'm playing BUG Delver, but I'm something like 10-2 against UWr Miracles in sanctioned matches. And partially seconded on Disenchant and Wear/Tear - the things they hit are awesome in the matchup, but spending the turn dealing with them isn't great for Miracles, either. Miracles just has so few relevant cards in the matchup, and the BUG player has a lot of redundant answers to them. It's not that I've found that the BUG Delver/Miracles matchup is far off of even - the relevant cards that Miracles has are extremely powerful and end the game quickly if unanswered - but I've found the matchup to be slightly (though meaningfully) in my favor.
    Last edited by btm10; 01-28-2015 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Expanding and clarifying

Dec 2010
    Prague

Most Miracles players are bad - but that does not mean the deck is bad.

As someone who has played both Miracles and Team America extensively and have played the MU many times, I am still not 100% sure how to exactly classify the MU. To determine this for sure I would have to do dedicated playtesting. As much as I would like to do that I probably don't have enough time due to school. Anyways, I am inclined to agree with Ein that this MU is at least somewhat positive even if not autowin as Patriot given that both Pilots are an equal level of experience with the deck. HOWEVER, I think the Miracles side is HIGHLY Pilot dependent. Like if the Miracles Pilot is not at least an above average at playing Miracles well then I would put the MU in favor of BUG because the nature of the latter allows one to take advantage pretty easily when the Miracles player stumbles because of misplays. Overall, my experience with this MU has been rather mixed. When I face someone who doesn't have as much experience with BUG as I do Miracles, I pretty much just crush them. If they are more even with me games are often close and can go either way. If the BUG player has more experience with their deck or might just be a better player than me overall, then games usually finish out in their favor but can still be close.

As for why Miracles does not Top 8 as much in the U.S., It seems to me that its for a similar reason that Storm was doing better in Europe than in the States pre-Treasure Cruise: 1. Different preferences among players in a given part of the world will yield different metagame compositions. People in Europe seem to really love combo and control decks which is why you will see a higher penetration of Storm and Miracles. Really though, this is not something that's hard to figure out if you even have an inkling of how to compare different cultures. 2. This might seem slightly offensive but I'm starting to believe it's actually true. I think that Europe probably just has a higher number of proficient to excellent Miracle players. In America, on the other hand, this doesn't seem to be the case still, which is why the amount of people who Top 8 with Miracles is not as much. This is probably only because the deck has not been played here in the states as long as Europe has so there not enough good pilots for it to Top 8 as much in America as it does in Europe. Would Americans finally see the light and find out that Miracles is the best deck once they played it enough? I have no fucking idea because I am not entirely sure Miracles is the best deck. Personally I don't think such deck can exist in Legacy. One thing I can say for sure it certainly is that Miracles is one of legacy's greatest decks, and it is extremely rewarding for a pilot provided they play tightly. But even if we had as much good Miracle players as Europe we can't really say how much percentage of the meta it would occupy since our metagame certainly is different from Europe due to different preferences between the player bases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysandros View Post
    I'm a crusty "old" player who would play nothing but Vintage, Legacy and 93/94 if I could, so I'm probably biased...but I'll never understand the draw to Modern. It's the Communist Soviet Union of MtG formats.
    In regards to Legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimoirePath View Post
    I dont know, I guess I like the anarchistic, outlaw format that allows everything and can thrive with or without the papal blessing.

Thread Information