Thread: [Podcast] Everyday Eternal Episode 34: Reviewing Fate Reforged and the Impact on Leg.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

[Podcast] Everyday Eternal Episode 34: Reviewing Fate Reforged and the Impact on Leg.

Greetings all!

http://www.eternalcentral.com/everyd...fate-reviewed/

In episode 34 of #EverydayEternal Sam Craven (@thecravenone) and Matt Pavlic (@SDE_Matt) take a look at Fate Reforged. With goodies for Vintage and Legacy players alike, the guys discuss what changes decks might make to bring in these new cards!

Shorter cast due to the holidays and doing the cast prior to the banned announcement. There's still more content coming down the pipe!

-Matt

Jul 2013
    Texas

Re: [Podcast] Everyday Eternal Episode 34: Reviewing Fate Reforged and the Impact on

I'm only up to Alesha but I love this card.

Unfortunately, unless you bin Orzhov Pontiff with a discard outlet or it's countered, Alesha won't ever recur it. Haunt is mandatory.

That did get me thinking about Alesha tricks though and there are so many awesome ones. Here's a list I spent entirely too much time on:

Value off their removal (popular creatures strong on their own that get killed before Alesha does her thing, but not necessarily anything great to recur):
    Dark Confidant
    Young Pyromancer
    Magus of the Moon
    Vexing Shusher
    Mirran Crusader
    Prophetic Flamespeaker
    Vampire Nighthawk
    Eidolon of the Great Revel

Great value, but you need to dump with Looting or something due to mana curve:
    Siege-Gang Commander
    Kiki-Jiki (then next turn Midnight Guard/Village Bell-Ringer)
    Balefire Liege
    Flame-Kin Zealot
    Savage Firecat (comes in 7/7)
    Guiltfeeder (potential blowout)
    Imperial Recruiter
    Toshiro Umezawa
    Goblin Rabblemaster
    Glint-Eye/Yore-Tiller/Dune-Brood Nephilim
    Vulshok Battlemaster

Kills something, bins self (recurring potential):
    Orcish Settlers
    Braids, Cabal Minion
    Avalanche Riders
    Necroplasm
    Mogg Fanatic
    Fulminator Mage
    Bone Shredder
    Stingscourger

Discard self, recur for value:
    Faerie Macabre
    Burrenton Bombardier
    Brighthearth Banneret
    Dimir House Guard

Makes tokens when ETB:
    Blade Splicer
    Wakedancer
    Mogg War Marshal (bins self)
    Ponyback Brigade

Miscellaneous self-bin:
    Emberwilde Augur
    Death Cultist
    Augur of Skulls
    Furnace Scamp

Miscellaneous ETB effects, don’t bin self:
    Stoneforge Mystic
    Tidehollow Sculler
    Plague Spitter

Create tough blocking decisions:
    Markov Blademaster
    Slith Firewalker
    Hound of Griselbrand
    Augury Adept
    Barbed/Shocker

Sneaky size:
    Fledgling Dragon
    Instigator Gang
    Dragon Egg/Rukh Egg

Combo potential:
    Wall of Blood
    Thoughtgorger

Miscellaneous cool dudes:
    Rakka Mar
    Augury Adept
    Ali from Cairo
    Kaalia of the Vast
    Ash Zealot
    Wildfire Emissary
    King Macar, the Gold-Cursed

And there are even more!

Re: [Podcast] Everyday Eternal Episode 34: Reviewing Fate Reforged and the Impact on

Triskelion, Sin Collector, any Clone.

or if you really want to aim high ...

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    I'm only up to Alesha but I love this card.

Unfortunately, unless you bin Orzhov Pontiff with a discard outlet or it's countered, Alesha won't ever recur it. Haunt is mandatory.

That did get me thinking about Alesha tricks though and there are so many awesome ones. Here's a list I spent entirely too much time on:

*GIANT LIST*

And there are even more!
    Not sure if giant list or conspiracy to get me to do no work today. I'm excited to check all these out when I get home!

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post

Dangit, this is why we need you on all set review episodes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post

The combo was already discussed in the spoiler thread, but I still wonder what's the best setup would be to pull it off? Alesha + Entomb? Since we're already in red, throw in some Punishing Fires, Loam and Grove to fetch with Entomb, too?

Yeah the whole idea is an order of magnitude worse than just Griselbrand. So it's really not worth discussing until they get rid of him, similar to the entire Dragon deck. But in Modern with an Aether Vial and some instant speed "value" outlet like Zombie Infestation (maybe in tow with Squee) I guess it's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    Not sure if giant list or conspiracy to get me to do no work today. I'm excited to check all these out when I get home!

Dangit, this is why we need you on all set review episodes!
    Well you guys insisted on a pre BNR episode and my heart just wasn't in it. Now that the BNR was such a resounding nothing I'm not sure when there will be something interesting to talk about. I'm playing vintage this weekend, maybe something interesting will come of that. What happened to Matt and I's hidden secret cast?

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    The combo was already discussed in the spoiler thread, but I still wonder what's the best setup would be to pull it off? Alesha + Entomb? Since we're already in red, throw in some Punishing Fires, Loam and Grove to fetch with Entomb, too?
    Don't forget the old man.

And maybe this young firebrand.

I think an Alesha deck either needs to be focused on a combo (or multiple combos) or on a removal-heavy beatdown plan. I like Alesha, but I don't think she's doing much without haste.

Edit: Maybe in Jund Nic Fit with Huntmaster of the Fells. Having the creature come into play attacking is a drawback, so you need an ETB to abuse. Alesha returns Golgari Grave-Troll, so that could be a thing.

Jul 2013
    Texas

Ha, of course I forgot Master. Actually, I just pumped out a Gatherer report of Dega creatures with power <= 2 and sorted by rating. Master must have a low rating.

Either way, I think this card has legs. It's just a matter if you want to use it as a value engine (and just grab your removed creatures out of the graveyard while presenting another must-remove threat) or a combo enabler (like with Master).

Personally, what I want to do is run some sort of Trinisphere deck with Ancient Tombs to help get this thing down early, then recur Avalanche Riders until they can't cast anything.

Karmic Guide also is on-color and is an echo card. You can do some pretty crazy things with a Buried Alive package. While I know there is a deck that reanimates Griselbrand and another that Show & Tells Emrakul, it's a matter of building a deck around it that might attack from a different angle while having a big finish.

Nice catch on Feldon doing a solid impression of this card, especially with anything that has an ETB ability. Feldon also gets around Cage & Priest.

Feb 2014
    North Carolina, USA

Nice review! Kind of short, but I enjoyed it.
    GamErgonomics: The Science of Gaming Performance
    Life Coaching for Gamers
    Personal Gaming Blog UPDATED 1/13
    "Everyone is a hero. Even if you've only saved yourself."

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by BBG|Scott-Spain View Post
    Nice review! Kind of short, but I enjoyed it.
    Short and sweet ;)

There's two more things in the pipe, and we're hoping to have those up in the next few days.

-Matt

Our lost cast 1 or 2?

Site Contributor
    Jul 2010
    Gig Harbor, WA

Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    What happened to Julian?
    He's recovering from his tragic accident with a Blue Shell.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Scott, want to send me a PM with your email? Let's talk :)

Thread Information