Thread: UWR Monastery Mentor

Threaded View

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Re: UWR Monastery Mentor

I went to GP lyon this weekend with friends.
    On friday they wanted to do a modern trial. I had my UWR mentor deck with me and thought that I could give it a go :)

The list:

4 delver of secrets
    4 young pyromancer
    2 snapcaster mage
    4 monastery mentor

4 gitaxian probe
    4 sleight of hand
    4 serum visions
    4 lightning bolt
    4 path to exile
    1 vapor snag
    4 remand
    2 mana leak
    1 electrolyse

4 scalding tarn
    4 flooded strand
    3 steam vents
    2 hallowed fountain
    1 sacred foundry
    2 island
    1 mountain
    1 plain

The sideboard was a mess as it was the rest of my old UR delver sideboard in which i put 3 lightning helix for burn.

2 spell pierce
    2 dispel
    1 spell snare
    3 lightning helix
    1 hibernation
    1 izzet staticaster
    2 smash to smithereens
    1 blood moon
    2 combust

So it was a 32 persons min, 5 round modern trial for 20€ with 700 BoM points (2 BFZ boxes and 10 BFZ boosters roughly) to win and 2 byes for the big bazaar modern tournament of sunday.

To be honest I tought I did not stand a chance. I played some games versus my friends decks: Merfolk and UWR control and it was really hard to win those matchups. Merfolk is faster and UWR control has so many removals... So i was just there for some fun games and to get some experience.

Round 1 vs Splinter Twin
    Game 1: I keep a hand with cantrips and threats, but my 2 first threats are killed. A gitaxian probes show me a hand with one exarch, some cantrips but no splinter twins and no counters. I have one removal in hand, but i do not draw a threat, while my opponent draws splinter twin and a hard counter and wins :)
    Game 2: we exchange removals and counters, and after some time I have 4 bolts in hand while he is at 12 with 4 cards in hand. At the end of my turn he plays exarch with two lands open and so i decide to give it a go because he might have splinter twins in hand. Bolt, you're at 9, bolt you're at 6, bolt you're at 3... then I see his smile disapear when i play the fourth bolt. he dies.
    Game 3: Delver, pyro, mentor probe and my opponent doesn't have the combo i win some turns later with removal and counter back up.

Round 2 vs UW control
    Game 1: He paths a delver turn one, but then cannot take care of young pyromancer. A wall of omens gives him some time, but i have counters and a mentor to speed up things. He trys to flicker the wall two timles with an angel, but i have remands ready.
    Game 2: he's stuck at 3 lands for a long time and he doesn't kill my mentor. I combo out winning quickly even if he plays a finks, that he bounces with an angel.

round 3 vs infect:
    game 1: I stick a threat and kill all his creatures.
    Game 2: I draw 14 lands during the game, and izzet staticaster is not enough.
    Game 3: I draw my hate izzet staticaster and has enough removal / counters to ride a pyromancer to victory.

Round 4 vs splinter twin
    Game 1: my opponent is late... I win
    Game 2: perfect hand. Delver / pyro with path remand and gitaxian probe. I have all the answers to its spells and he cannot kill all my threats. When he tries to go for it because i have lethal on board, I have the remand for its exarch he tries to dispel it but i have path in hand to kill it right after.

Round 5 vs AMulet bloom
    Game 1: my opponent does turbo nothing with 3 amulets while I play in fear of a green pact that would probable cause my death. He never draws what he needs to combo out.
    Game 2: No amulet of vigor this time. So I can play my threats with counter back up and win :)

we split the prize, and as I won i got the byes for the sunday event :)

My opinion about the deck? It's cool, but I think I was pretty lucky :)
    Last edited by Tylert; 11-05-2015 at 09:43 AM.

Thread Information