Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: UWR Monastery Mentor

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Re: UWR Monastery Mentor

I went to GP lyon this weekend with friends.
    On friday they wanted to do a modern trial. I had my UWR mentor deck with me and thought that I could give it a go :)

The list:

4 delver of secrets
    4 young pyromancer
    2 snapcaster mage
    4 monastery mentor

4 gitaxian probe
    4 sleight of hand
    4 serum visions
    4 lightning bolt
    4 path to exile
    1 vapor snag
    4 remand
    2 mana leak
    1 electrolyse

4 scalding tarn
    4 flooded strand
    3 steam vents
    2 hallowed fountain
    1 sacred foundry
    2 island
    1 mountain
    1 plain

The sideboard was a mess as it was the rest of my old UR delver sideboard in which i put 3 lightning helix for burn.

2 spell pierce
    2 dispel
    1 spell snare
    3 lightning helix
    1 hibernation
    1 izzet staticaster
    2 smash to smithereens
    1 blood moon
    2 combust

So it was a 32 persons min, 5 round modern trial for 20€ with 700 BoM points (2 BFZ boxes and 10 BFZ boosters roughly) to win and 2 byes for the big bazaar modern tournament of sunday.

To be honest I tought I did not stand a chance. I played some games versus my friends decks: Merfolk and UWR control and it was really hard to win those matchups. Merfolk is faster and UWR control has so many removals... So i was just there for some fun games and to get some experience.

Round 1 vs Splinter Twin
    Game 1: I keep a hand with cantrips and threats, but my 2 first threats are killed. A gitaxian probes show me a hand with one exarch, some cantrips but no splinter twins and no counters. I have one removal in hand, but i do not draw a threat, while my opponent draws splinter twin and a hard counter and wins :)
    Game 2: we exchange removals and counters, and after some time I have 4 bolts in hand while he is at 12 with 4 cards in hand. At the end of my turn he plays exarch with two lands open and so i decide to give it a go because he might have splinter twins in hand. Bolt, you're at 9, bolt you're at 6, bolt you're at 3... then I see his smile disapear when i play the fourth bolt. he dies.
    Game 3: Delver, pyro, mentor probe and my opponent doesn't have the combo i win some turns later with removal and counter back up.

Round 2 vs UW control
    Game 1: He paths a delver turn one, but then cannot take care of young pyromancer. A wall of omens gives him some time, but i have counters and a mentor to speed up things. He trys to flicker the wall two timles with an angel, but i have remands ready.
    Game 2: he's stuck at 3 lands for a long time and he doesn't kill my mentor. I combo out winning quickly even if he plays a finks, that he bounces with an angel.

round 3 vs infect:
    game 1: I stick a threat and kill all his creatures.
    Game 2: I draw 14 lands during the game, and izzet staticaster is not enough.
    Game 3: I draw my hate izzet staticaster and has enough removal / counters to ride a pyromancer to victory.

Round 4 vs splinter twin
    Game 1: my opponent is late... I win
    Game 2: perfect hand. Delver / pyro with path remand and gitaxian probe. I have all the answers to its spells and he cannot kill all my threats. When he tries to go for it because i have lethal on board, I have the remand for its exarch he tries to dispel it but i have path in hand to kill it right after.

Round 5 vs AMulet bloom
    Game 1: my opponent does turbo nothing with 3 amulets while I play in fear of a green pact that would probable cause my death. He never draws what he needs to combo out.
    Game 2: No amulet of vigor this time. So I can play my threats with counter back up and win :)

we split the prize, and as I won i got the byes for the sunday event :)

My opinion about the deck? It's cool, but I think I was pretty lucky :)
    Last edited by Tylert; 11-05-2015 at 09:43 AM.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Digging the thread cause i liked the deck very much.

Just trying to figure if anyone is still messing with it.
    Since gitaxian probe is banned I don't think it is viable anymore but who knows...

Murmuring mystic made me think about this deck. I suppose this costs way too much to be used (You can't probably cast it and have mana to cast anything else to generate a token).
    However, 5 toughness is a lot in the format and i guess it could do some work. The fact that it creates flying tokens is also interresting.

So has anyone played this kind of deck lately?
    Is it totaly dead since Gitaxian Probe is gone?

Is there another version running around with different colors? (some 4C monstruosity perhaps?)

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Opt adds a lot to this deck I think, probably better than Sleight of Hand. If you play 4x Serum, 4x Opt, and then some number of Sleight, you should have enough gas to super-power your Peezy/Mentor plan. I've been thinking about Mentor lately in a shell like this, I used to play UWR Delver with Geist of Saint Traft. If I wasn't digging UR Wizards so much I'd be playing something similar to this.

Lightning Helix is another incredible card for a strategy like this, it turns races right on their ear against decks like Burn and Affinity. I think it's definitely worth 4 slots in the maindeck. Abrade and Alpine Moon have given tempo decks like this a big boost as well.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Opt adds a lot to this deck I think, probably better than Sleight of Hand. If you play 4x Serum, 4x Opt, and then some number of Sleight, you should have enough gas to super-power your Peezy/Mentor plan. I've been thinking about Mentor lately in a shell like this, I used to play UWR Delver with Geist of Saint Traft. If I wasn't digging UR Wizards so much I'd be playing something similar to this.

Lightning Helix is another incredible card for a strategy like this, it turns races right on their ear against decks like Burn and Affinity. I think it's definitely worth 4 slots in the maindeck. Abrade and Alpine Moon have given tempo decks like this a big boost as well.
    Right, i forgot that opt had entered the format. I think i would still play 4 visions, 4 opt and 4 sleight. Cantrips are what it takes to go off sometimes. you need as much as possible :)

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

If you're going with 12 cantrips (excessive IMHO) I would cut the Sacred Foundry get another blue source in there. I would probably do this:

-1 Steam Vents
    -1 Sacred Foundry

+2 Spirebluff Canal

I never had a problem with 2-3 fastlands in my Delver/Geist deck with only 18 lands, although I eventually just followed most netdecks and played 2.

With this many cantrips I would argue that Grim Lavamancer and Monastery Swiftspear should be tested out. This is what I would start with:

4x Delver
    2x Grim Lavamancer
    4x Young Pyromancer
    3x Monastery Mentor

4x Lightning Bolt
    3x Lightning Helix
    3x Path to Exile
    4x Serum Visions
    4x Opt
    2x Sleight of Hand
    4x Remand

4x Scalding Tarn
    4x Flooded Strand
    2x Steam Vents
    1x Hallowed Fountain
    2x Spirebluff Canal
    1x Seachrome Coast
    2x Island
    1x Plains
    1x Mountain

When I played Geist I only had 6 cantrips (4x Serum, 2x Opt) and I used those slots for additional countermagic. Considering the plan of this deck (go wide with Pyro/Mentor) you are really trying to set up an explosive turn where you can establish lethal on-board. Delver almost doesn't make sense here, maybe additional counterspells/burn/removal to keep the early turns clear and then just go nuts t3-4 with tokens.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

UWR Monastery Mentor

I 4-0 last night at LGS with this brew. Arcanist and mentor are best buddies. I outgrinded goblins g2 even though he resolved all 4 ringleaders.

Deck: JEDI KNIGHTS

M1 2-0 vs UR delver
    M2 2-0 vs Lands
    M3: 2-0 vs Goblins
    M3: 2-1 vs colorless Stax

Counts : 60 main / 15 sideboard

Creatures:8
    4 Dreadhorde Arcanist
    4 Monastery Mentor

Spells:32
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Forked Bolt
    2 Lightning Bolt
    4 Ponder
    4 Preordain
    2 Spell Pierce
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Counterbalance
    1 Council's Judgment
    2 Narset, Parter of Veils
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Force of Will

Lands:20
    1 Arid Mesa
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Island
    1 Mountain
    2 Plains
    4 Scalding Tarn
    2 Tundra
    2 Volcanic Island

Sideboard:15
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Blazing Volley
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Disenchant
    1 Null Rod
    2 Back to Basics

I will probably change Narsets for something else.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Cool story, but this is the modern forum.
    Brainstorm Realist

Lol i didnt realize

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Thread Information