Page 21 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Magic Origins

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Re: Magic Origins

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

@Cire: Interesting point to bring up. But how reliably can Leyline.deck generate 5 mana compared to 4? It also needs 4 other enchantments before it activates.
    I doubt it would be a good deck. . . but hypothetically how is this line of play"

Turn 1 -
    Drop 4 Leylines
    Land
    (if land is not Serra's Sanctum) --> Crop Rotation for Serra's Sanctum
    If you have Opalescence cast it, if not end the turn
    Turn 2
    Land
    Starfield of Nix

Doing the math . . . you need 4/7 of your cards to be leylines for that line of play. So around 34 leylines. Outside leyline of singularity we have 8 leylines, so you can play 38 total if you want.

So:

34 Leylines
    10 Lands that can produce G
    4 Serra's Sanctum
    8 "combo" cards
    4 Crop Rotation

That's 60 cards.

is it good. Hell no - but it seems like it can beat down with 20 power by turn 2/3 surprisingly frequently.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

As neato as these tricks are, it seems like a lot more of a pain in the ass than just casting Time Spiral.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Your missing the Serum Powder you also would want to play in such a build.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

I'm so meta, even this acronym
    Sep 2008

Dark Petition reminds me of miracle timewalk more than anything; being 5cc is quite the opportunity cost and effectively locks it into storm chain and fetching bombs. At which point one wonders why you wouldn't just run more bombs to begin with. Day's Undoing looks cool but I struggle to come up with a situation where you'd want to play it - combo decks can't use it to refuel midcombo and anyone else doesn't want to risk drawing their opponent into answers.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Your missing the Serum Powder you also would want to play in such a build.
    I'm assuming you're talking about my list, which I'll be calling Next Level Leyline . Serum Powder doesn't fit in the deck . . . not enough room.

(again, in case it was not obvious enough - it is a silly deck :/)

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitium View Post
    ... - combo decks can't use it to refuel midcombo and anyone else doesn't want to risk drawing their opponent into answers.
    You're also disrupting the opponent by wiping on the graveyard and messing with their hand. It seems like it would work well as a T2 play from a deck like affinity that empties the hand and then wants to reload.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Day's Undoing would be incredibly good as a red card, a fixed wheel of fortune for actual aggro/midrange decks more than combo ones since it fit in the "dump ur hand , wheel to gain card advantage".
    Imagine dragon stompy prison deck with those. Suddendly ur opponents new cards don't matter as much cause you have chalices and shits. Faerie stompy could probably try it.

The new tutor looks insane tbh. It's a slightly more conditional Demonic... the only thing i dislike is that it's a purely combo card. Midrange and grindy decks never want this because the returned mana cost is nowhere as good in those decks. I eagerly await the day of a GB sorcery speed permanent demonic tutor.

The opalescence looks good and better than actual opalescence tbh, but i don't think it goes in enchantress and i don't see other decks wanting it.

The red clone enchantment sucks hard.

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

You know what's good with that new Timetwister? Notion Thief. Also Liliana's Caress if you just want to kill them.

Hrm, might just try it in Modern...

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
    You know what's good with that new Timetwister? Notion Thief. Also Liliana's Caress if you just want to kill them.

Hrm, might just try it in Modern...
    It's no Wheel of Fortune. You shuffle your stuff back into library, so no discard and Caress kill.

Notion Thief sounds like my kind of x-mas land, I will likely troll with that in modern.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Bosque View Post
    Notion Thief sounds like my kind of x-mas land, I will likely troll with that in modern.
    That's classy as fuck haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Bosque View Post
    Why not just hardcast a Griselbrand at that point?

Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    Why not just hardcast a Griselbrand at that point?
    Can split the cost over two turns, draws 14 cards at the cost of no life, empties the opponents hand and most important of all, treats Modern about as seriously as anyone should.
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Vatija Mlohavich
    May 2010
    Croatia

need it!
    PTT (Formerly of MTT) - We make Champion

What Would Ravenous Baloth Do?
    May 2008
    Connecticut

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    *pending translation* Hydra
    Creature - Hydra
    Trample
    Whenever a player casts a spell, put a +1/+1 counter on ~
    1/1

Thoughts on this? It gets fed by your own spells AND their spells.
    Although it's French vanilla, as Jellydonut stated, I like this card. He's much better than something like Wake thrasher because the counters are permanent. He's better than Taurean Mauler or Quirion Dryad because it's both players' spells that grow him.

In terms of Legacy I think you're almost always going to rather have TNN in the 3cc slot, simply because of evasion. I might just be a sucker because I enjoyed playing with Forgotten Ancient back in my Auratog + Rancor deck. Do they have use for critters like this in Modern?
    Still, if you don't have removal for this Hydra he's going to become a big trampler really quickly. Barook, do you have a link to the picture?
    Fools dig for water, corpses or gold
    The ice in my teeth keep the Cristal cold
    I be shoot'n lava around like an uzi
    Watch me turn this glacier into a jacuzzi
    I'm so hot people standing around me, just to stay warm
    Castin' so many spells looks like I'm playin' Storm
    I fuck all your creatures without any lotion
    Skeet in yo face, Erratic Explosion
    Every time you look I'm doing 2 to your dome!
    So scoop up your cards and take your broke ass home

-G.L.M.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Day's Undoing is pretty interesting. I could see it in a blue prison build like Tezzerator, but to me it feels like there's almost no downside to it for UR Delver. It's not going to be a 4-of like Cruise, but we've seen how good a "burn, swing, pass, counter" deck can be when it can stay on the gas past turn 4.

I'd like to see it in combo too, but it feels like you want to be sculpting a board state rather than a hand, and I don't know what combo deck does that besides Elves.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    Day's Undoing is pretty interesting. I could see it in a blue prison build like Tezzerator, but to me it feels like there's almost no downside to it for UR Delver. It's not going to be a 4-of like Cruise, but we've seen how good a "burn, swing, pass, counter" deck can be when it can stay on the gas past turn 4.

I'd like to see it in combo too, but it feels like you want to be sculpting a board state rather than a hand, and I don't know what combo deck does that besides Elves.
    Painter does. Bit outside its wheelhouse though.

I agree on Delver. Really it is from my point of view a fine "Reload" card. If you have done what you need to for the turn and you can interact at instant speed, reload.

How often do you really need to fully reload with Delver, though? And against which decks? I really wouldn't want to give a control deck a fresh seven with this thing just because it's very unlikely I'll have enough interaction to get through all the punishment I just gave them...

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Painter does. Bit outside its wheelhouse though.

I agree on Delver. Really it is from my point of view a fine "Reload" card. If you have done what you need to for the turn and you can interact at instant speed, reload.
    maybe even old fashioned mono-blue control (and a little splash for black for Notion Thief)?

4 Day's Undoing
    4 Force of Will
    2 Delve Through Time
    2 Notion Thief
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Counter Spell
    4 Spell Pierce
    4 Snap Caster
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Vendilion Clique
    12 Fetch
    8 Islands
    4 Underground Sea

Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
    He's better than Taurean Mauler or Quirion Dryad because it's both players' spells that grow him.
    Bear in mind that Taurean Mauler was legal at a time when creature types were of great importance and still sucked. And bear in mind that Quirion Dryad is cheaper and is therefore by no means "worse". She's just different. And useless in the year 2015.

As awesome as it would be to have our token hydra do some work, he's too overcosted to be effective beats and his being vanilla means that it will never illicit an immediate response. Hell, if Monastery Mentor isn't good enough to see play, how do you honestly believe this lizard could stand a chance?

Thread Information