Page 40 of 49 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Magic Origins

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Re: Magic Origins

You guys should all look again at Abbot of Kher Keep. That card looks to me like a winner in Burn or similar pure aggro. There is nothing whatsoever in red that has card advantage as good and as cheap.

Here, look:

Abbot of Keral Keep
    1 R
    Creature - Human Monk
    Prowess
    When Abbot of Keral Keep enters the battlefield, exile the top card of your library. Until end of turn, you may play that card.
    2/1
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    You guys should all look again at Abbot of Kher Keep. That card looks to me like a winner in Burn or similar pure aggro. There is nothing whatsoever in red that has card advantage as good and as cheap.

Here, look:

Abbot of Keral Keep
    1 R
    Creature - Human Monk
    Prowess
    When Abbot of Keral Keep enters the battlefield, exile the top card of your library. Until end of turn, you may play that card.
    2/1
    No haste is a killer for this card. You also need at least 3 mana to gain cardadvantage with burn
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    No haste is a killer for this card. You also need at least 3 mana to gain cardadvantage with burn
    You can play lands that are exiled (or Fireblast) so it could be used if there's some kind of topdeck knowledge in play. Not the best fit for conventional burn decks though.

This seems cool with life from the loam.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    It's like arguing your way out of a speeding ticket by saying "it's not like I'm wearing oven mitts, officer."
    Twenty Kavus and a Dream is NOT a Legacy deck.

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by kirkusjones View Post

I can imagine a URx Delver deck playing this card as well. Seems quite powerful in a deck that doesn't really need many lands beyond the second. Jund, RG Lands and similar decks will likely enjoy it as form of card filter/advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by wcm8 View Post
    I can imagine a URx Delver deck playing this card as well. Seems quite powerful in a deck that doesn't really need many lands beyond the second. Jund, RG Lands and similar decks will likely enjoy it as form of card filter/advantage.
    A land light hand with this would suck! A topdeck of this without a land too! You really want your cantrips to help in every stage of the game...
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I'm sure NicFit needs to get rid of Deed in any case as a cardadvantage tool and equalizer if it opt to run Leap which also creates cardadvantage but enables you to top opposing permanents rather than destroying those.
    If there is one thing that nic fit wants to keep, it's the Deeds. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by HdH_Cthulhu View Post
    A land light hand with this would suck! A topdeck of this without a land too! You really want your cantrips to help in every stage of the game...
    I am thinking a URx Delver deck would play 2-3 copies, unless 4 somehow ends up being correct.

In tandem with Daze, it wouldn't be too difficult to have this enabled as you enter the midgame, where a virtual Draw 2 for 1 is powerful.

A tempo deck *could* simply run 20 Lands instead of the usual 18-19 in order to A) minimize mulligans and increase likelihood of on-time land drops, and B) further enable playing 3-4 copies of MI.

I am not sure which variation of URx would be the ideal configuration. Green benefits because it fuels Mongoose and Goyf while also providing access to Loam; straight UR would love to refill its hand with more Burn to close out the game (and cheap cantrips are very effective with Swiftspear and Pyromancer); White is able to play more of a midrange game thanks to the staying power of SFM, TNN, CJudgement, universal removal, etc. and would benefit from a midgame refueling Spell; and Grixis lists are fairly similar to straight UR with the addition of having Delve creatures (perhaps enabling additional copies of Angler and/or Tasigur).

Beyond Delver decks, combo decks and perhaps even UWr Miracles might consider playing this card. It is admittedly less powerful (and Blue) than DTT, but that card might end up being banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Rishadan View Post
    If there is one thing that nic fit wants to keep, it's the Deeds. No ifs, ands, or buts.
    Eh, pod builds often trim them already and if there is another great reason to not run them it's definitely a justifiable cut. There has to be some configuration of toxic deluge, maelstrom pulse, and decay that is playable without deed.

The new red draw spell is awesome too. I'm going to be playing it in modern loam pox for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkusjones View Post

Or land tax, or storm combo decks that draw cards or Alhammarret's Archive.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Or land tax, or storm combo decks that draw cards or Alhammarret's Archive.
    The hypothetical Land Tax + Molten Vortex LFTL deck is looking better and better

Wow with land tax this seems pretty good. You dont have to play the slow scroll rack to turn lands into gas!
    And yep with daze this seems ok... maybe uwr? Daze also helps to trigger the tax!
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by supremePINEAPPLE View Post
    Eh, pod builds often trim them already and if there is another great reason to not run them it's definitely a justifiable cut. There has to be some configuration of toxic deluge, maelstrom pulse, and decay that is playable without deed.

The new red draw spell is awesome too. I'm going to be playing it in modern loam pox for sure.
    I don't think you really have to cut Deed to run it. An early activation or two could be a huge value in that deck, and blowing up your own stuff has always been a possibility with Deed.

I think the bigger problem is how many and what you replace. It's definitely something you'd rather see early than late...or alternatively how do you maximize the mid/late game value?
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

What Would Ravenous Baloth Do?
    May 2008
    Connecticut

I'm not sold Magmatic Insight. Unless you want the land in your graveyard this card might as well read "R, Sorcery. Draw one card." It doesn't produce card advantage. I know we're hypothetically playing this in decks with Land Tax or Loam where you'll have a lot of land in your hand. Wouldn't you be better off holding that land and using it to scroll rack or fling it for 2 damage with Molten Vortex?

Instead you'd be better off playing a card that actually does something productive instead of netting you 0 cards. It's not a cantrip because cantrips have some other beneficial effect and then replace themselves. So unless your deck needs to get land in the GY this card isn't very useful.
    Fools dig for water, corpses or gold
    The ice in my teeth keep the Cristal cold
    I be shoot'n lava around like an uzi
    Watch me turn this glacier into a jacuzzi
    I'm so hot people standing around me, just to stay warm
    Castin' so many spells looks like I'm playin' Storm
    I fuck all your creatures without any lotion
    Skeet in yo face, Erratic Explosion
    Every time you look I'm doing 2 to your dome!
    So scoop up your cards and take your broke ass home

-G.L.M.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I don't think you really have to cut Deed to run it. An early activation or two could be a huge value in that deck, and blowing up your own stuff has always been a possibility with Deed.

I think the bigger problem is how many and what you replace. It's definitely something you'd rather see early than late...or alternatively how do you maximize the mid/late game value?
    Why would you blow things up anymore if you can drop Siege Rhinos in the face of Delver and shit? Sweeping was good to gain time till you topdeck a fatty or GSZ or SDT, but with Leap that's no longer an issue
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Jul 2008
    Seattle, WA

There's so many cube cards in this set my head's about to burst.
    I don't know how I'm gonna make room...

Magmatic Insight is the one I'm most excited about, especially at the possible revival of Loam strategies outside of Lands.
    I may even play in my first modern tourney with a deck like this (although not having cycle lands does suck)

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Magmatic Insight seems an actually good card. Compare to compulsive research, this is slightly worse but for 2 less mana. Loam decks surely want this, as stated, but i think it can find space somewhere else too.

EDIT: the hidden bonus of Magmatic insight is that if you run a couple more lands in your lists, you'll be much less likely to get manascrewed and you can use this as a pseudo-brainstorm, dumping extra lands for chaff. Think of how RDW used 24 lands as fuel for Lavamancers and to ensure to get that 3 mana point to cast pillages consistently. I feel like i'm gonna test this card a lot.

Jul 2008
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
    I'm not sold Magmatic Insight. Unless you want the land in your graveyard this card might as well read "R, Sorcery. Draw one card." It doesn't produce card advantage. I know we're hypothetically playing this in decks with Land Tax or Loam where you'll have a lot of land in your hand. Wouldn't you be better off holding that land and using it to scroll rack or fling it for 2 damage with Molten Vortex?

Instead you'd be better off playing a card that actually does something productive instead of netting you 0 cards. It's not a cantrip because cantrips have some other beneficial effect and then replace themselves. So unless your deck needs to get land in the GY this card isn't very useful.
    The thing is though, 60 cards is the minimum deck size and you need to fill up that space either with redundancy or draw engines. You don't always draw the nut hand with mox, land tax, loam, scroll rack etc.
    As a 4-off this adds extra movement in a deck that needs certain pieces set up in order to win.

That being said, since Legacy already has Gamble and cycle lands I don't think this will make an impact.

Modern, however, which lacks both of those AND has no deathrite shaman to worry about, is the better candidate for a revival of loam strategies (revival... were they ever a thing in that format in the first place?)

Quote Originally Posted by GenghisTom View Post
    That being said, since Legacy already has Gamble and cycle lands I don't think this will make an impact.
    Don't forget Brainstorm.

Remember that Magmatic Insight is uncastable if you don't have lands in your hand.

So it's basically an epically bad topdeck in a land-light deck.

Thread Information