Page 1 of 49 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Magic Origins

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Magic Origins

I guess, most of you have already heared of this sneaky announcement this weekend. It looks like this expansion will not only give more insight about the past of Nissa/Jace/Gideon/Liliana/Chandra, but throws up the question why there are two artworks of each planeswalker available (one pre-spark, one post-spark).

For me, this smells like a second coming of the double-face-cards for this expansion
    Last edited by Lemnear; 02-09-2015 at 07:52 AM. Reason: fixed
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Aug 2011
    San Antonio, TX

Re: Magic Origins

I was excited when I thought this was a throwback set based on magic's origins. Then I realized it was just another set based on the same group of jabroni planeswalkers not fit to hold urza's jock.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Card's aside since I play Legacy, I have no great expectation of card's that effect me, I love a good story and this looks like a great time for that part of me.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

I do not know if the movie comes out soon, but I have contended that the film simply must be about planeswalkers for it to have any hope of not sucking. My guess is that they are gearing up.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    I do not know if the movie comes out soon, but I have contended that the film simply must be about planeswalkers for it to have any hope of not sucking. My guess is that they are gearing up.
    speaking of movies and such, does anyone know anything about Magic: The Gathering - The Musical?

EDIT***

I Found the video on youtube here
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

May 2013
    Germany

Chandra*, no Garruk so far.
    Hope they go out with a bang.
    Current Legacy Decks: Elves, 12Post, Eldrazi Stompy, Burn, Reanimator, Death&Taxes

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Sylphnir View Post
    Chandra*, no Garruk so far.
    Hope they go out with a bang.
    Fixed. Thanks
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Are we still expected to take this concept art direction seriously?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    For me, this smells like a second coming of the double-face-cards for this expansion
    I struggle to think how this can be done in a way that 'feels' natural and is balanced...

You're thinking you cast them as a Legendary creature and then something triggers a flip?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    I struggle to think how this can be done in a way that 'feels' natural and is balanced...

You're thinking you cast them as a Legendary creature and then something triggers a flip?
    Not unlikely. We saw permanent-type changing flipovers in Kamigawa block as well. We also already saw a Flip-Walker in Garruk.

Join us at Facebook!

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I think it is unlikely that they will be flip cards. Wizards already said the biggest impediment to doing more flip cards is the cost factor. A whole sheet just for 5 cards? Doesn't seem likely at all, plus the issue with how to collate them.

I am thinking more toward Legendary creatures, possibly with some sort of ability that lets you tutor for a Planeswalker of them?
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Or we might just see some Jaya Ballard, Task Mage style creatures come back with powers that hint at what they can do by not quite fully formed.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I am thinking more toward Legendary creatures, possibly with some sort of ability that lets you tutor for a Planeswalker of them?
    Grandeur confirmed in Magic Origins? :D

Jace the Ice Cream Vendor
    Legendary Creature - Human Chav

: Put an ice counter on target permanent. It doesn't untap until it finishes its supper.

Grandeur - Discard another card named Jace the Ice Cream Vendor: Search your library for a Jace card and put that card onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.

2/1

Man that wording sucks. "A Jace card". But it's the wording same as Goblin Matron, or any card that searches for a subtype. Also that reminds me, is Cateran Summons broken yet? Don't say Chameleon Colossus, swear to God
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    Are we still expected to take this concept art direction seriously?

WTF is wrong with his hand? Immediately reminded me of this:

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I think it is unlikely that they will be flip cards. Wizards already said the biggest impediment to doing more flip cards is the cost factor. A whole sheet just for 5 cards? Doesn't seem likely at all, plus the issue with how to collate them.

There are supposed to be two new mechanics. There's some kind of level up mechanic involved (not necessary the level up mechanic itself).

Question is how they're going to turn the legendary creatures into Planeswalkers. Take Liliana for example - she turned from a modest white healer to a black zombie hooker.

My money is still on flip cards, but I wouldn't be suprised if Wizards came up with a new, retarded mechanic to pull it off.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    WTF is wrong with his hand? Immediately reminded me of this:
    Oh, Jesus. I didn't even notice his hand. I was just focused on his looks-like-a-joke head. Where the hell is his pinky going?

Site Contributor
    Feb 2011
    Vancouver

WTF is wrong with his hand?

(...)

My money is still on flip cards, but I wouldn't be suprised if Wizards came up with a new, retarded mechanic to pull it off.
    uhm, excuse me sir, but if you look deep into the history of magic artwork there are many precedents in the lore for spell-casting having a transmogrifying effect on the body parts of the caster. in fact, i have reason to believe that the new mechanic will be a kind of level up system where various body parts ascend to planeswalker status one at a time while being tracked by a system of squish counters. frankly the community is finally sophisticated enough to handle multiple counter types on the same permanent and unless WOTC starts down this road they're going to run out of development space far too quickly. good day. /comicbookguy
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    I'm not saying sugarcoat the tournament scene, that's impossible, but for God's sake just act like a damned grown-up. Be polite, play fast-ish but allow for a little thought now and then, represent the rules to the best of your ability and be a good sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    WotC fucks up something computer related. Film @ 11.
    @warfordium on twitter.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    Oh, Jesus. I didn't even notice his hand. I was just focused on his looks-like-a-joke head. Where the hell is his pinky going?
    His pinky is one thing, but his way too short stick arms are a way bigger issue. Unless people from Jace's plane derive from a T-Rex.

His pinky is one thing, but his way too short stick arms are a way bigger issue. Unless people from Jace's plane derive from a T-Rex.
    His left arm is (apparently) full length though... Maybe he's carrying a hidden midget on his back.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    His left arm is (apparently) full length though...
    That is an illusion due to perspective. His left arm actually attaches to his body at the hip, so both arms are the same length.
    He is proportionate, just not symmetrical.

May 2013
    Germany

Pleasenodoublefacedcardspleasenodoublefacedcardspleasenodoublefacedcards...
    Hate them. With passion.
    Current Legacy Decks: Elves, 12Post, Eldrazi Stompy, Burn, Reanimator, Death&Taxes

Thread Information