Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [GP Lille] European Adventure! What should I see in Europe?

Storm Trooper
    Jun 2012
    Bremen, Germany

Re: [GP Lille] European Adventure! What should I see in Europe?

I can totally recommend Prague. One of the most beautiful cities I have ever visited. Also, the Czech brew the best beer in the world. I say that as a german. They really do.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

I read for the n-th time and I cannot stop wondering... what's so amazing about Prague? Am I blind to it, or do the people see some other place, some less crowded, less dirty, less noisy city?

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by JanoschEausH View Post
    I can totally recommend Prague. One of the most beautiful cities I have ever visited. Also, the Czech brew the best beer in the world. I say that as a german. They really do.
    You Czechs and Germans with your (admittedly good for the style) light pilsners and wheat beer My personal nod goes to Belgium and the US.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by JanoschEausH View Post
    Somebody needs to book a trip to Colorado.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

+ 1 Belgians brew the best! Try Westvleteren 12 (questionable spelling) if in Belgium, nearly impossible to get here in the states and arguably the worlds best beer. And yes, pilsners are for pussies.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

As someone who grew up in Bavaria, the beer talk here offends me. I was seriously disappointed by czech beers during my two visits. North german beers are crap as well especially the wide-spread Becks.

Dark wheat beer, gentlemen. Period.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

@Beer: Belgian, Bavaria and and most of Austrian Beers are pretty awesome. Didn't like the Czech beer that much.

@What to see: Austria offers with Salzburg and Vienna two beautiful cities, with lots of museums, historical buildings and awesome nature (if you like it).

Also Prague is a beautiful city, especially the castle is just stunning.

Greetings,
    Kathal

PS: Rome is also pretty. But to get a good view from the city, you need at least 4 days and I don't know, if you can afford that much time at one place.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

I have just about a month, and I need to be in certain part of Europe at certain times. Ideally, I want to be as parsimonious with my travel as possible.

I'm planning on:

Prague Eternal
    GP Copenhagen
    ????
    GP Lille

The ??? is what I'm unsure of.

-Matt

I'm a bit unsure of where you are at in life but if you find it appealing I would go for a weekend of drugs and sex in Amsterdam. Being legal and accepted this might be your only chance at doing "Hangover 4" solo style.

On a more serious note .... nah ... I stand by my first statement.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

My first few times over here were for studies, but now that I immigrated to Europe, I can recommend a few cities. Berlin and London are worth trips of their own. Similar to New York, they're cities full of vibrant life where you could live there for years and not see everything. Lille itself is an okay spot, and there's a little neighborhood of restaurants just north of the central station. I'm not very familiar with other parts of France. However across the border (literally from Lille) in Belgium, if you're looking for museums and culture, go to Brugges and Antwerp. If you're looking for tournaments, there is one going on at an Outpost (big gaming chain) somewhere in one of those cities and you could sling cards. Same as here across the border in the Netherlands. First and last weekend of the month there's gigs across the country (Rotterdam, Eindhoven, Utrecht), to be specific.

Spain and Portugal would be cheap trips, not to mention wonderful at that time of year. I guess it all depends on your travel funds and already set itinerary. You could go anywhere, really. Why not hop on over to Moscow or St. Petersberg and go sift through commons boxes at the LGSs?

DocteurGabe
    Mar 2013
    Halifax, NS, Canada

This GP should be called : "When Canucks Cross The Pond"
    There's gonna be so many of ussssss!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I facepalm so hard in Public that hipsters gonna make this a new trend

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Oh yeah, I've heard Bruges is nice, like a fucking fairytale or something. Plenty of alcoves too.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    Oh yeah, I've heard Bruges is nice, like a fucking fairytale or something. Plenty of alcoves too.
    Just avoid it if you have an aversion to the idea of a touristy open air museum type of place, and are more in favor of the type of place in which to do cool local things. It's not a "real city" to explore in a 21st century mode, in my experience, but it is brimming with art, architecture, history, etc. I suppose my one visit could have been unrepresentative/incomplete but I don't think it was. I haven't been to Florence, but from what I've heard, it's comparable to it in that way.

Went right over his head.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Brugge might be cool, but is it people-surfing-in-the-very-heart-of-the-city-cool?

Welcome to Munich:

The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Brugge might be cool, but is it people-surfing-in-the-very-heart-of-the-city-cool?

Welcome to Munich:

Yeah, the Eisbach is cool, but fucking dangerous for newbies not only because of the temperature.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Went right over his head.
    Something went over someone's head.

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Off the top of my head, some places I have been and I think are worth visiting, in no particular order:

-Florence, and Rome. I don't think I really need to explain these…but I'm from Italy so maybe I'm partial here:).
    -Seville, southern part of Spain (region of Andalucia). Not many people outside Spain and Europe are aware of this gem, but if you give Seville a try it will reward you with amazing architecture reminiscent of arab culture, super cheap and incredibly good cooking, hot girls, nice nightlife etc. I lived there for a year.
    -Amsterdam. Man, A'dam is awesome. And I don't smoke pot nor I like to pay for sex.
    -Vienna is another lovely city I have been and I'd recommend it

seriously Europe is full of places you want to visit at least once!
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    If you come to Belgium, we have the best beers in the world. Almost every village/city has atleast one of its own beers. Beer is the second reason I'm still here and not in San Diego.( First being my fiancé.)
    If you plan to trip to Amsterdam, which you should, stop by Brussels or any big city in Belgium and enjoy some strong beer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Man IDK, I don't write this bullshit. We all know WotC has some primo grass in its R&D Lair.

Thread Information