View Poll Results: Which card(s) do you want unbanned?

Voters
233. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black Vise

112 48.07%
  • Earthcraft

98 42.06%
  • Frantic Search

82 35.19%
  • Goblin Recruiter

55 23.61%
  • Memory Jar

33 14.16%
  • Mind Twist

114 48.93%
  • Mind's Desire

36 15.45%
  • Survival of the Fittest

96 41.20%
  • Yawgmoth's Bargain

30 12.88%
  • A different card / No unbannings

28 12.02%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which card(s) do you want unbanned? (No discussion, only voting)

Re: Which card(s) do you want unbanned? (No discussion, only voting)

I didn't even knew that goblin recruiter was banned and honestly, if it was unbanned that will have absolutely no effect on legacy (imho) the chain goblin deck is so bad it's hilarious anybody can even think playing it seriously (some peoples laughted about playing WGD combo, the combo is clearly more powerful than just... that.)

The card itself is indeed good, but goblin would still be a tier 3 deck with no chances to go higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Searys View Post
    I didn't even knew that goblin recruiter was banned and honestly, if it was unbanned that will have absolutely no effect on legacy (imho) the chain goblin deck is so bad it's hilarious anybody can even think playing it seriously (some peoples laughted about playing WGD combo, the combo is clearly more powerful than just... that.)

The card itself is indeed good, but goblin would still be a tier 3 deck with no chances to go higher.
    Goblins is Tier 2 even now. In the hands of a competent pilot it has even to positive matchups against Miracles as well as most fair decks and game against the unfair decks. Its strength lies in explosiveness coupled with the ability to recharge after removal. Even a Terminus won't do unless you follow up with an Entreat soon after.

That being said, the question in this thread is wether Recruiter helps the deck too much. I don't see it helping much in the bad matchups like Storm. It is too slow for that. It might however make good matchups even better.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Tourach View Post
    I don't see it helping much in the bad matchups like Storm. It is too slow for that. It might however make good matchups even better.
    Very much this.

DRS and SFM made good matchups worse for Goblins. Unbanning Recruiter seems like it would let Goblins gain back some ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Very much this.

DRS and SFM made good matchups worse for Goblins. Unbanning Recruiter seems like it would let Goblins gain back some ground.
    I think the initial problem was not getting value out of your Ringleaders or any such silliness, but that Recruiter is an instant-kill with Belcher in a Goblin deck. Are we comfortable giving Goblins a combo finish like that?

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post
    I think the initial problem was not getting value out of your Ringleaders or any such silliness, but that Recruiter is an instant-kill with Belcher in a Goblin deck. Are we comfortable giving Goblins a combo finish like that?
    It costs more mana than the Food Chain kill but is easier to set up. I do not see an issue with Belcher hear, plus Food Chain is a better card if you draw it without the Recruiter.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Jul 2013
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post
    the deck has to find and resolve a 4-mana artifact, then resolve recruiter, then activate belcher. They would be just as well off running RIP-helm.

I think the real reason was the amount of time it takes to resolve Recruiter. The card is now the only non-ante creature on the legacy banned list and both it and Worldgorger are more annoying than dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by maharis
    I think the real reason was the amount of time it takes to resolve Recruiter. The card is now the only non-ante creature on the legacy banned list and both it and Worldgorger are more annoying than dangerous.
    Recruiter and Hermit Druid.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    the deck has to find and resolve a 4-mana artifact, then resolve recruiter, then activate belcher. They would be just as well off running RIP-helm.
    I agree with you here.

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    I think the real reason was the amount of time it takes to resolve Recruiter.
    Can you support this statement with anything from Wizards? Cause it really doesn't sound right.
    There are only about 10 different goblins in a Vial Goblins deck...

If you cast a Recruiter, you have a pile in mind. A goblin player using Recruiter probably takes less time stacking goblins in a round than a Miracles player spends spinning Top.

Mar 2007
    RI

RE: Goblin Recruiter

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Can you support this statement with anything from Wizards?
    This is what I could dig up on Recruiter from the times of the format split and it's banning in old Extended:

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Forsythe
    What's on there [the banned list]:
    Cards that are/were banned in Extended: Not every card that has ever been banned in Extended is banned in this new format, but we felt the most powerful ones had no place here. These include Earthcraft, Goblin Recruiter, Hermit Druid, Land Tax, Oath of Druids, Replenish, and newly exiled Skullclamp and Metalworker. With “1.5” now a little less like Vintage and a little more like Extended, it makes sense that the banned list is a compromise between the two. Most of these cards are very cheap combo enablers that are hard to defend against.
    http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles...ate-2003-09-03

Quote Originally Posted by Banned & Restricted Announcement January 2004
    Goblin Recruiter
    Goblin Recruiter's ability to stack an arbitrarily large portion of your deck allows goblin-based combo decks to kill as early as turn 2. That's too fast for a healthy environment and the Recruiter is one of several casualties of our effort to eliminate realistic turn 2 kills from the environment.
    http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/mag...om/feature/189

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Buehler
    Goblin Recruiter

Goblin Recruiter
    Goblin Recruiter plays a completely unique role in two different combo decks: Food Chain and Goblin Charbelcher decks both required him before they could pull off their combo. In addition, its synergy with Goblin Ringleader was remarkable and probably could still be abused in some other way even if Food Chain and Charbelcher didn’t exist. Thus, we all agreed pretty quickly that the Recruiter had to go. We talked about the fact that it’s still possible to build Charbelcher decks–-in fact, it was the Mana Severance/Charbelcher decks that did the best in New Orleans, not the Recruiter/Charbelcher versions. However, we took Tinker, Ancient Tomb, and Grim Monolith out of the Mana Severance decks and we think that’s enough to knock them down to size. Without Tinker, Severance plus Charbelcher costs a total of nine mana, and it requires seven on the same turm if you want to play around artifact removal spells. Maybe it’ll still be good, but without Monolith or Tinker or Ancient Tomb I don’t think those decks will be overpowered. (Note that this is by no means the only 2-card “I win” combo in Extended. Pandemonium plus Saproling Burst has been sitting there for years and no one has managed to do much with it.)
    http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/Mag...om/daily/rb100

Nothing about the time consumption, though the Extended Announcement does reference "stacking an arbitrarily large portion of one's deck". The conversation is interesting, maybe someone else can dig up more on it.
    TPDMC

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

"That's too fast for [...] our effort to eliminate realistic turn 2 kills from the environment."

>10 years later:

The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Oct 2012
    Italy

I voted for recruiter too because i'm pretty sure it is safe, it would give new life to an archetype that a lot of people love, and , most importantly, because goblins is my favorite deck and i don't want to spend the rest of my life looking at spoilers and waiting for wizard to print a new overpowered goblins to make the archetype good again

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by LeoCop 90 View Post
    I voted for recruiter too because i'm pretty sure it is safe, it would give new life to an archetype that a lot of people love, and , most importantly, because goblins is my favorite deck and i don't want to spend the rest of my life looking at spoilers and waiting for wizard to print a new overpowered goblins to make the archetype good again
    And I want to play Necro Trix again because I enjoyed it so much like many old school players and Mind's Desire was a popular Extended deck people enjoyed...

Sometimes I wonder if you guys actually ever played against Recruiter in a tournament or if this is the mere talk of people who start after Ravnica and never saw the decks of old and interactions that fed those decks, which think Griselbrand is fine but Bargain is broken which is laughable. I doubt those people were ever forced into a draw by Sharazard or Goblin Recruiter if their opponent counted cards, looked through yards, took notes, stacks 15 cards, looks at notes again, adjust pile, shuffles ... just to repeat the procedure right the next turn and you keep discussing with half the store and the Judge why they don't kick the guy for slowplay.

Edit: mind that Doomsday can't be really used to Stack the deck several times within a game and does create much smaller piles.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Just a reminder to play nice so we can have nice things If that can't be done, shhhhhhhhh

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Voted for Goblin Recruiter, because I just like the little Green Men.

EDIT; and no, I haven't played it on a tournament, and yes, slowplay is killing... But hey, give me a chance to play it and perhaps I really hate it and won't play Goblin Recruiter at all.
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I doubt those people were ever forced into a draw by Sharazard or Goblin Recruiter

The slowplay argument is stupid... Let's ban lim duls vault, doomsday, sensei's divining top because 3 players out of 1000 actually slow play with it... Please...

For shahrazad it's different, it's actually too long to make sub games, that's a fact.

Isnt it odd that they unbanned WGD who has a greater potential to draw/drag out games?
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Oct 2012
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by HdH_Cthulhu View Post
    Isnt it odd that they unbanned WGD who has a greater potential to draw/drag out games?
    The issue isn't with drawing individual games, but matches going to time and ending up a draw. If you draw the game on turn 2 with a reanimator deck, you're still propably fine time-wise.

Resolving a Goblin Recruiter shouldn't take too long when you're free to combo kill your opponent. Resolving one properly while trying to play around multiple combinations of disruption that your opponent could have would be much more time consuming.

Nov 2006
    London

Mana Drain

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

I voted for all but Recruiter. I think all of them are ok right now, but Recruiter is too timeconsuming.
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Thread Information