Sideboard
    4 Grip
    4 Sphere of resistance
    2 Chalice
    1 Bog
    1 Boseiju
    1 Tomb
    2 Choke

Thoughts on this board? Only real thing I'm concerned about is getting meddling mage locked vs shardless.
    My board is slightly optimised towards Storm

Sib

Do you have a moment to talk about Primeval Titan?

May 2013
    Canada, eh

Re: [DTB] R/G Combo Lands

Quote Originally Posted by Cfetchcaviar View Post
    First time poster, long time lurker. I got into magic a year ago and immediately fell in love with lands. I think it celebrates some of the best strategies in magic with some really great flair. I 4-0'd my last LGS event the other day and thought i would share my results. we fired with nine people, i was expecting thirteen+ My meta is pretty diverse with a slightly larger population of miracles.

Round One (UWR Blade): I'm on the draw and he leads with fetch->ponder I play a verdant catacombs into the basic Forest->exploration, it resolves, i follow up with a mox + stage and loam. The game becomes grindy but i am able to overwhelm the board with worm tokens and he concedes.
    Game Two: See game one 2-0

Round Two (Miracles): I'm playing a dear friend this time and i know what he's on. I'm on the play and land T1 exporation, with Boseiju following up the first land. I have a lot of trouble with legends miracles but was able to get there with a witch and no swords.
    Game Two: I Bring in the hate and was able to land an early exploration with ports. I kept his mana off balance for a few turns and landed a Boseiju->Boil on turn 5. 2-0

Round Three (Aluren): Unhinged the bronze gates of hell with qhostquarter lock on turn one. He kept all 3 of his basics in his opener.
    Game Two: I gamble early for a sphere of resistance, then establish wastelock. I don't think it was a good match up for him. 2-0

Round Four (Sneak and hack): Another dear friend is playing. I had a hunch he was on sneak and show since he was previously playing omnishit. I have the nuts hand and try to stick manabond, he forces it pitching ponder. He draws and plays lotus petal, lotus petal, land show and tell->Emrakul i put in karakas bouncing it back before combat next turn. i don't draw any steam and he ends up landing sneak attack and annihilates me.
    Game Two: I keep a greedy hand with the combo, some hate, and a rotation. I play a thicket and a chalice on 0 and pass. I assemble the combo a turn later and get there.
    Game 3: He passes the turn back after cantriping, I cast exploration and it sticks, he casts another cantrip and passes, i assemble the combo and pass, on his turn he casts show and tell, I respond by making a witch in fear of him showing Bloodmoon. He doesn't, and plops down an exposed Emrakul which i bounce with the Karakas i showed into play. I will improve my posts the more i play. will try and get another one this weekend.
    Main deck Boseiju? How's that been working for you?

Aug 2015
    Long Island, ny

Quote Originally Posted by gigapatrick View Post
    The mana production isn't that important either; it's just that mana production seems better than Maze of Ith, which doesn't stop Elves from going wide with a bunch of little dudes, nor does it hose Deathrite Shaman, nor does it have a whole lot of utility against a Craterhoof alpha strike. I suppose in this last scenario it could make the math a little harder for the Elves player, since they'll get to attack with one less giant dude, but the Maze still seems like it has little to no value in the matchup. However, this has only been my experience. What's been yours?
    I've kept it in and maze plus tabernacle provides for a really strong lock that some people will scoop to just to get to the next game. Your logic on trinisphere vs sphere is something I have experienced as well. The only thing that I like sphere for is pushing up their natural order cost. Also maze is a land that pitches really smoothly to mox.

Oct 2015
    Uhmrka

Quote Originally Posted by barcode View Post
    Really great, I'm only ever bummed to see it in the DnT/elves match up which I feel very comfortable in. We devour that kind of deck.
    Last edited by Cfetchcaviar; 10-13-2015 at 11:46 AM.

Aug 2015
    Long Island, ny

Quote Originally Posted by barcode View Post
    I used to test a main deck boseiju against miracles and stone blade specific to see how it went. The problem I had was that I never was able to resolve the gambles and crop rotations. In the post board game when I have cost modifiers available is when I can cast anything against them and the game gets very one sided.

Oct 2015
    Uhmrka

Quote Originally Posted by Croprot View Post
    I used to test a main deck boseiju against miracles and stone blade specific to see how it went. The problem I had was that I never was able to resolve the gambles and crop rotations. In the post board game when I have cost modifiers available is when I can cast anything against them and the game gets very one sided.
    I empathize a lot. Getting a rotation countered can suck. It's sweet when it happens, but I try not to lean on it. Lands players are inherentley possesed by superstition. Everytime we cast gamble it elicits a subtle pleasure, and resolution requisites small success. We are already favored in that match up. Chalice on one+sphere+boseiju is wishful as fuck. I just keep them off double blue and punish them and their weenies.
    Last edited by Cfetchcaviar; 10-13-2015 at 11:29 AM.

On Maze vs. Elves: What Dice_Box and Croprot have said seems reasonable, so I'll probably keep one or two in for games two and three.

On another note:

Building a Fortress #19

We've seen a similar matchup very recently, but not the exact same thing. A much more interesting match this time too.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Watching it, game one you should make a copy of his Wasteland. You have the Stage to spare and it means that should you have drawn Depths, you had an an option to use it that turn. Also there was a turn where you ended with a Stage and 2 Mana open and he was tapped down. That was a prime place to copy the Wasteland and then Waste it when you untapped.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Watching it, game one you should make a copy of his Wasteland. You have the Stage to spare and it means that should you have drawn Depths, you had an an option to use it that turn. Also there was a turn where you ended with a Stage and 2 Mana open and he was tapped down. That was a prime place to copy the Wasteland and then Waste it when you untapped.
    Yeah. Saw that when i rewatched the video. Also was pretty inefficient with my ports and my wasteland game two.

Building a Fortress #20

Building a Fortress #21

Both of these matches are pretty ugly, one match for me and the other for my opponent.

So what's the overall sentiment with the Shardless matchup? Obviously, they are pretty soft to Dark Depths but lately I've been having decent difficulty in these games. It always seems you need a combination of all of your resources - Loam, Pfire, Exploration/Moxen, Mazes to overwhelm them.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

It's one of those games where you have to read the early game and pick a line. Sometimes it's right to Gamble for Punishing Fire and not Loam, this can be that kind of match. Outside of that, I really like Wasteland against them with the 3ball on the table. They are trying to be mana efficient and pull out small advantages with their tricks. Interfere with it.

Cascade sucks when they have to eat your balls.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Oct 2015
    Arkansas, United States

Quote Originally Posted by hyp3r1on View Post
    So what's the overall sentiment with the Shardless matchup? Obviously, they are pretty soft to Dark Depths but lately I've been having decent difficulty in these games. It always seems you need a combination of all of your resources - Loam, Pfire, Exploration/Moxen, Mazes to overwhelm them.
    From what I've played, you have to get an early Exploration or Manabond online as quickly as possible, then worry about getting Loam grinding. From there, it's all up to how well your dredges. I've considered running more than one Thicket to try and get an extra draw/dredge as quickly as possible to get the lands I need and the Fires in the yard, just squeezing out incremental advantage without dying.
    Fun is a zero-sum game in Magic. Therefore, Prison is the best archetype.

Do you have a moment to talk about Primeval Titan?

May 2013
    Canada, eh

Quote Originally Posted by hyp3r1on View Post
    Kill Deathrite Shaman and you win. They play one or two basic lands which you can port (or Ghost Quarter if that's your thing). Wasteland them off dual lands and man-lands. Be mindful of Surgical Extraction since they can tag important combo pieces.

Banned
    Nov 2005
    Sigil, Center of the Planes - Italian district

Patrick, one question about RUG Delver: in both matches you comboed at his EoT, exposing to a possible Wasteland. Wasn't better to directly combo in your turn? Generally speaking, waiting to combo EoT isn't preferable only in case of possible sorcery speed removal, against Wasteland decks? In your experience can RUG Delver play other removals for the witch aside Submerge? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Croprot View Post
    The main deck Boseiju is super annoying! While it's best to get it out ASAP and you may not always have the read to make that decision quickly game 1, it seems like a great tool to have in the main at a fairly low risk. I am no Lands player though, just a victim of Boseiju.

Quote Originally Posted by Morte View Post
    Patrick, one question about RUG Delver: in both matches you comboed at his EoT, exposing to a possible Wasteland. Wasn't better to directly combo in your turn? Generally speaking, waiting to combo EoT isn't preferable only in case of possible sorcery speed removal, against Wasteland decks? In your experience can RUG Delver play other removals for the witch aside Submerge? Thanks!
    I should have gone for the combo main phase. My head was not in either of those games. Rug delver shouldn't really have
    access to anything that would necessitate going off eot.

Dec 2013
    Lowell MA

At 9:55 you should have copied his forest to fizzle his wasteland activation.

Oct 2015
    Uhmrka

Went 2-1 at my weekly event. Lost to a four color control deck. the other match ups were shardless and merfolk and they went exactly how you think.

The four color deck had double DRS game one and was able to keep me off everything, never saw punishing fire.
    Game two they had DRS, and meddling mage on pfire. I was able to waste them off white, bog their graveyard and make a witch with no swords.
    Game Three they were able to land double DRS and meddling mage on pfire. During one of the sideboard games they extracted my wastelands. This match up felt awful, even though their entire manabase was non basics. ugh :(

Thread Information