Page 20 of 254 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer] R/G Lands

Do you have a moment to talk about Primeval Titan?

May 2013
    Canada, eh

Re: [Deck] R/G Combo Lands

Quote Originally Posted by GrimoirePath View Post
    Has anyone considered playtesting with Nissa, Vastwood Seer?
    I'm not super impressed by Nissa for Lands. I don't know what to cut for her. She doesn't do anything until you have 7 lands in play and I would think that if that condition has been met you have a good grasp on the game.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Has anyone considered playtesting with Nissa, Vastwood Seer?
    What does she do that Primeval Titan does not do better?
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

I think she is horrible in the context of Lands. Her creature side tutors up exactly a forest and her planeswalker side isn't impressive outside of standard. You don't need a conditional exploration effect if you've already made it to seven lands and a 4/4 sure isn't what I'm looking for to close out the game.

I guess only win con, in her ultimate providing six 6/6 creatures, which could theoretically help if your stage has been pithing needled, or if your token gets hit by Karakas, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by supremePINEAPPLE View Post
    I think she is horrible in the context of Lands. Her creature side tutors up exactly a forest and her planeswalker side isn't impressive outside of standard. You don't need a conditional exploration effect if you've already made it to seven lands and a 4/4 sure isn't what I'm looking for to close out the game.
    All true. I guess her added draw could help play additional lands should your grave have been hated away or your Loams extirpated or eaten by Deathrite. Her ultimate turns six of your lands into 6/6 creatures, which provides a more mighty swing than a 4/4.

Mar 2013

I guess only win con, in her ultimate providing six 6/6 creatures, which could theoretically help if your stage has been pithing needled, or if your token gets hit by Karakas, etc.
    If you have Titan in, you should be sideboarded and ready to deal with Artifacts. Also Karakas on its own is no answer to this deck. A speed bump sure, but no answer.
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Give you multiple threats, next to draw cards (not only lands)... Big difference when comparing to P-Titan.

The reason you don't want her are imo:

1) comes into play as a 2/2 creature,
    2) you need seven lands to morph her.

If she were a PW for cmc 3...

Still, I might proxy her (just for the sake if testing, you guys are of course right)
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

All true. I guess her added draw could help play additional lands should your grave have been hated away or your Loams extirpated or eaten by Deathrite. Her ultimate turns six of your lands into 6/6 creatures, which provides a more mighty swing than a 4/4.
    Her ult is cool but I try not to evaluate walkers on their ultimate and this is a planeswalker that only starts ticking up from 3 after you've hit seven lands.

I'm still really bummed she isn't a wood elves in creature form. It would have made her so much cooler in legacy and modern.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Hey guys,

I'm helping a friend test for Lille and am unsure on SBing plans for the Miracles (Ponder version) matchup. How effective is Sphere of Resistance and/or Trinisphere? I've been arguing 'not very', as the miracles plan is to land Top + CB and just make land drops. Neither sphere is very good vs this, but there are a number of easy cuts like Mazes, Glacial Chasm, Bog, Karakas (unsure), 2x Punishing Fire (4 main, unsure) and Karakas (unsure).

The MD is pretty stock.

SB is

4 Sphere of resistance
    4 Krosan grip
    3 Trinisphere
    3 Choke
    1 Boseiju

Any help is appreciated!

Mar 2013

Personally, the two best cards I feel we have against that deck are Port and Ghost Quarter. With a Ghost you can wipe them from the face of the earth. The follow up is Boseiju of you have it. Choke is strong as well since it limits their choices but I would not run 3. That to me feels like one to many. Lastly, Grip. Of good god grip. It they have Top and Ballance open, Cast a Loam first, let them rearrange the top of the Library and then Grip the CB in response to its tirgger. Do not blind shoot at the balance unless you have no choice or you know it will resolve.

The cuts are easy, as you have pointed out. It is not always a bad choice to leave yourself with a single Maze though. At times they will try and pull a rabbit out of a hat with a small amount of attackers. In this case, you can hold back the damage with a Crop Rotation if you need to. Double PF does the trick too if they can not counter it.

Jun 2010
    Germany

I recommend you to keep in Bojuka Bog & Karakas. 99% of the matches vs Miracles go very long & Bog is Boss vs Snapcaster and Dig Through Time (well, Bog is at least better than Maze or Chasm).
    Karakas bounces Cliques & Vensers and produces Mana. Helpful since you board out Mazes.
    In my experience it's not worth it to board in Spheres vs Miracles. As I said, games go long & Spheres hinder your development as well while they can play an Island each turn and sit on a top (+ CB). Spheres are even worse without an Exploration.
    Ghost Quarter I found to be quite nice, the shuffle effect messes up their Top a bit & they run out of Plains, sooner or later out of Island (this won't happen too often). Getting Ghost Quarter is awesome. I actually thought about boarding a 2nd Ghost Quarter since I'm not a fan of Boseiju.
    Also I wouldn't cut Punishing Fire since Miracles moved to Monastery Mentor alongside Venser/Clique and it's still good vs Jace and the life total (they fetch a lot).

The thing is, you have enough stuff to bring in. 4 Krosan Grip, 3 Choke (in your case), Boseiju.
    My Sb plays 2 Primeval Titan (which have been Seismic Assault, Titania, Garruk PH before)
    +4 Krosan Grip +2 Choke +1 Bojuka Bog +2 Primeval Titan
    -3 Maze of Ith -1 Glacial Chasm -1 Tabernacle -2 Manabond -2 Crop Rotation

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Lands took 9th and 12th at this weekend SCG. Decklists are both David Longs(one of them is David Long) and the sideboards are just geared to beat combo and 4 Krosan Grips.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Mar 2013

Thats good news. I love seeing this deck do well.

Also:

Not great, but it is going into my deck until I cast it at least once because I want to, that's why.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Personally, the two best cards I feel we have against that deck are Port and Ghost Quarter. With a Ghost you can wipe them from the face of the earth. The follow up is Boseiju of you have it. Choke is strong as well since it limits their choices but I would not run 3. That to me feels like one to many. Lastly, Grip. Of good god grip. It they have Top and Ballance open, Cast a Loam first, let them rearrange the top of the Library and then Grip the CB in response to its tirgger. Do not blind shoot at the balance unless you have no choice or you know it will resolve.

The cuts are easy, as you have pointed out. It is not always a bad choice to leave yourself with a single Maze though. At times they will try and pull a rabbit out of a hat with a small amount of attackers. In this case, you can hold back the damage with a Crop Rotation if you need to. Double PF does the trick too if they can not counter it.
    I should point out I'm actually the one playing Miracles, he's taking Lands to Lille.

Absolutely agree! Porting white sources to shut off swords and EOT Marit Lage or GQ all their basics are the two lines to win long games.

The 3x Choke is actually mainly for the Omni matchup. We've come to the conclusion Trinisphere + Choke is probably the best way to fight them. Holding both in hand at the very least forces them to reach 6 mana if they know what you're up to with a probe, and keeping them off that should be OK with ports.

Yep, he always baits the CB with a loam or something. I float a 3 on top when I can in SB games, so it makes a very interesting sub games between the players, love it

I like the idea of leaving a Maze in actually, I'll suggest it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexeezay View Post
    I recommend you to keep in Bojuka Bog & Karakas. 99% of the matches vs Miracles go very long & Bog is Boss vs Snapcaster and Dig Through Time (well, Bog is at least better than Maze or Chasm).
    Karakas bounces Cliques & Vensers and produces Mana. Helpful since you board out Mazes.
    In my experience it's not worth it to board in Spheres vs Miracles. As I said, games go long & Spheres hinder your development as well while they can play an Island each turn and sit on a top (+ CB). Spheres are even worse without an Exploration.
    Ghost Quarter I found to be quite nice, the shuffle effect messes up their Top a bit & they run out of Plains, sooner or later out of Island (this won't happen too often). Getting Ghost Quarter is awesome. I actually thought about boarding a 2nd Ghost Quarter since I'm not a fan of Boseiju.
    Also I wouldn't cut Punishing Fire since Miracles moved to Monastery Mentor alongside Venser/Clique and it's still good vs Jace and the life total (they fetch a lot).

The thing is, you have enough stuff to bring in. 4 Krosan Grip, 3 Choke (in your case), Boseiju.
    My Sb plays 2 Primeval Titan (which have been Seismic Assault, Titania, Garruk PH before)
    +4 Krosan Grip +2 Choke +1 Bojuka Bog +2 Primeval Titan
    -3 Maze of Ith -1 Glacial Chasm -1 Tabernacle -2 Manabond -2 Crop Rotation
    Your arguments for Karakas and Bog make perfect sense. I'm playing the 4 Ponder version against him, so no Venser, but I do have Cliques. You can also save your Marit Lage

I agree with your assessment of Spheres, they don't seem worth it at all. I've seen David Long bring them in vs Miracles a couple of times though, so wasn't sure.

It's just cutting 2 Punishing Fire, there are another 2 in the deck. Miracles doesn't really play any, or much GY hate. A Relic usually.

Seismic Assault is a beating vs Miracles, just not sure there's space in the SB to fit it. Pretty good vs Blood Moon too, but I'm not sure how many of those there will be at the GP.

What's the reasoning for cutting Manabond?

Cheers for the help!

Jun 2010
    Germany

I guess you're right about Punishing Fire, at least if you know they don't have alot of creatures.
    Note that if you play a Boseiju you want to leave in Crop Rotations obviously.

Manabond gets cut because you don't want to discard your Sideboard trumps in Choke, Krosan Grip, Primeval Titan/Seismic Assault or Crop Rotations that you might leave in.
    I board out Manabond most of the time anyway, more so on the draw. It's just natural for me when I bring in Krosan Grips.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

I guess you're right about Punishing Fire, at least if you know they don't have alot of creatures.
    Note that if you play a Boseiju you want to leave in Crop Rotations obviously.

Manabond gets cut because you don't want to discard your Sideboard trumps in Choke, Krosan Grip, Primeval Titan/Seismic Assault.
    I board out Manabond most of the time anyway, more so on the draw. It's just natural for me when I bring in Krosan Grips.
    Boseiju only works with Crop Rotation if you have Spheres. I think that's one of the best argument for having them, being able to force through Gambles and Crop Rotations.

Of course, makes sense to take them out.

Jun 2010
    Germany

1) Can you guys show me your Boarding plan for the Omnitell Matchup?

2) What do you think of the 2nd Ghost Quarter (in place of sb Boseiju or Mb 4th Stage)?

Mar 2013

Omnishow? Hope//Pray.
    Choke, 3shpere and Spheres off the back of SnT. It's not perfect but it's a plan.

I dropped the 4th stage long ago buy I would not drop it for a second Quarter. One is good, two I feel is a touch unnecessary. Boseiju sure but not Quarter.

Jun 2010
    Germany

I know what to bring in for Omni, I was interested in your Board-Outs.

Mar 2013

I know what to bring in for Omni, I was interested in your Board-Outs.
    1 Tabernacle, 3 Maze, 2 Wasteland, 1 Tranquil and 1 Bog

In.
    2 Choke, 2 3shpere, 2 Sphere and 2 Grip.

Thread Information