Page 253 of 254 FirstFirst ... 153203243249250251252253254 LastLast
Results 5,041 to 5,060 of 5079

Thread: [Primer] R/G Lands

Re: [Primer] R/G Lands

anyone tried the white package with enlightened tutor and heliod's land? does open us up for more combo hate consistency and white enchantment hate in the sb

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by N01INK View Post
    anyone tried the white package with enlightened tutor and heliod's land? does open us up for more combo hate consistency and white enchantment hate in the sb
    I just posted a Heliod’s list that has been overperforming, no enlightened tutors as I don’t want to lean too far into white.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Another 4-0 at FNM tonight.

Beat RG Karn, Depths, Merfolk and Goblins.

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Before this becomes a monologue, I will also report another FNM win with RG Lands. Pretty much stock list, I would guess.

Mainboard
    4 Gamble
    4 Crop Rotation
    4 Life from the Loam

4 Mox Diamond
    4 Exploration

1 Sylvan Library
    1 Wrenn and Six

3 Punishing Fire

2 Taiga
    4 Grove of the Burnwillows
    4 Thespian’s Stage
    3 Rishadan Port
    1 Ghost Quarter
    4 Wasteland
    4 Dark Depths
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Sheltered Thicket
    1 Tranquil Thicket
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Blast Zone
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Tabernacle at Pendrel Vale
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Forest
    1 Karakas
    1 Glacial Chasm
    1 Riftstone Portal

Sideboard
    3 Sphere of Resistance
    1 Pyroblast
    3 Tireless Tracker
    1 Subterranean Tremors
    1 Force of Vigor
    3 Krosan Grip
    2 Choke
    1 Drop of Honey

This list with some minor changes has served me well this year with cashing almost every tournament I played in (got Blood Mooned out of a few FNMs).
    Finally got my Drop of Honey. :D
    I have yet to see Wrenn in action, though. May include a second copy.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    Before this becomes a monologue, I will also report another FNM win with RG Lands. Pretty much stock list, I would guess.

Mainboard
    4 Gamble
    4 Crop Rotation
    4 Life from the Loam

4 Mox Diamond
    4 Exploration

1 Sylvan Library
    1 Wrenn and Six

3 Punishing Fire

2 Taiga
    4 Thespian’s Stage
    3 Rishadan Port
    1 Ghost Quarter
    4 Wasteland
    4 Dark Depths
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Sheltered Thicket
    1 Tranquil Thicket
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Blast Zone
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Tabernacle at Pendrel Vale
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Forest
    1 Karakas
    1 Glacial Chasm
    1 Riftstone Portal

Sideboard
    3 Sphere of Resistance
    1 Pyroblast
    3 Tireless Tracker
    1 Subterranean Tremors
    1 Force of Vigor
    3 Krosan Grip
    2 Choke
    1 Drop of Honey

This list with some minor changes has served me well this year with cashing almost every tournament I played in (got Blood Mooned out of a few FNMs).
    Finally got my Drop of Honey. :D
    I have yet to see Wrenn in action, though. May include a second copy.
    Congrats!

Meta feels real good for lands list with all kinds of planeswalkers floating around and blue decks keeping combo away.

Nov 2017
    Vienna, Austria

I just placed 2nd at an Open. A report is in the Tournament Reports tab if you are interested.

--Mainboard--

-Lands- 36
    4 Thespian Stage
    4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    2 Dark Depths
    2 Maze of Ith
    2 Taiga
    2 Windswept Heath
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Karakas
    1 Ancient Tomb
    1 Barbarian Ring
    1 Blast Zone
    1 Tranquil Thicket
    1 Sheltered Thicket
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Forest
    1 Glacial Chasm
    1 Waterlogged Grove

-Spells- 24
    4 Exploration
    4 Life from the Loam
    4 Crop Rotation
    4 Mox Diamond
    3 Punishing Fire
    2 Wrenn and Six
    2 Gamble
    1 Sylvan Library

--Sideboard--

4 Sphere of Resistance
    3 Krosan Grip
    3 Leyline of the Void
    2 Tireless Tracker
    2 Choke
    1 Blast Zone

What do you guys think about my build? Do you like Leyline/Blast Zone in favor of a more classic board with Drops?

I feel like I will try and move the Karakas into the side and try a 3rd Depths or a 2nd Blast Zone again. Glacial Chasm underperformed without Manabond in the deck. Might end up cutting it to but i fear like we need it. Blast Zone and Spheres were MVP (along with Ancient Tomb) in the tournament.
    Last edited by RinEU; 07-24-2019 at 08:16 AM.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by RinEU View Post
    I just placed 2nd at an Open. A report is in the Tournament Reports tab if you are interested. My list is here https://imgur.com/a/T4uFEfb

What do you guys think about my build? Do you like Leyline/Blast Zone in favor of a more classic board with Drops?

I feel like I will try and move the Karakas into the side and try a 3rd Depths or a 2nd Blast Zone again. Glacial Chasm underperformed without Manabond in the deck. Might end up cutting it to but i fear like we need it. Blast Zone and Spheres were MVP (along with Ancient Tomb) in the tournament.
    First: the list is hard to actually look at as it is a pile of cards that are mostly foreign.

Second: reading your report, your wins were based on the strength of the normal cards and your SB tech changes had minimal effect on the matches played. Ie the manaless player was still dead to a sphere effect and your normal plan.

Congrats on the big finish! Lands is in a great place right now.

Drop is really good against all of the Delver decks now and really sets you up against DnT, as does Force of Vigor. Blast zone is really good and some people have been playing 2 main.

You can attribute the sideboard to being meta specific, as you did have a BR Reanimate deck in the top 8, but you did great playing through your hard matchup and stomping your easy ones.

The more important question is why are you off of force of vigor and drop as they both would have helped today?

Nov 2017
    Vienna, Austria

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    First: the list is hard to actually look at as it is a pile of cards that are mostly foreign.

Second: reading your report, your wins were based on the strength of the normal cards and your SB tech changes had minimal effect on the matches played. Ie the manaless player was still dead to a sphere effect and your normal plan.

Congrats on the big finish! Lands is in a great place right now.

Drop is really good against all of the Delver decks now and really sets you up against DnT, as does Force of Vigor. Blast zone is really good and some people have been playing 2 main.

You can attribute the sideboard to being meta specific, as you did have a BR Reanimate deck in the top 8, but you did great playing through your hard matchup and stomping your easy ones.

The more important question is why are you off of force of vigor and drop as they both would have helped today?
    Concerning the Force fo Vigor: Delver and Miracles are kinda popular here. I felt like the Split Second of Krosan Grip would be more important to kill winter orb, counterbalance and other random enchantments than force of vigor. I agree that the Force would have been stronger versus DnT but as I said, I did not think I would be facing the deck with all the W&6s running around here currently.

Since I wanted to try the Leylines in the board I needed to make some space. I tried the second Blast Zone in the Drop slot and have to admit that I did not miss it at that tournament. The 4C decks even with Wrenn have a hard time going to resolve TNN in my experience (which is still pretty limited since those decks have not been around for long) against us. If Izzet with TNN makes a comeback I will definetly run drop again. I will do further testing and report back when I have more matches against these decks.

Thanks for the congratulations !

Here is the Decklist in written form :)

--Mainboard--

-Lands- 36
    4 Thespian Stage
    4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    2 Dark Depths
    2 Maze of Ith
    2 Taiga
    2 Windswept Heath
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Karakas
    1 Ancient Tomb
    1 Barbarian Ring
    1 Blast Zone
    1 Tranquil Thicket
    1 Sheltered Thicket
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Forest
    1 Glacial Chasm
    1 Waterlogged Grove

-Spells- 24
    4 Exploration
    4 Life from the Loam
    4 Crop Rotation
    4 Mox Diamond
    3 Punishing Fire
    2 Wrenn and Six
    2 Gamble
    1 Sylvan Library

--Sideboard--

4 Sphere of Resistance
    3 Krosan Grip
    3 Leyline of the Void
    2 Tireless Tracker
    2 Choke
    1 Blast Zone

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by RinEU View Post
    Concerning the Force fo Vigor: Delver and Miracles are kinda popular here. I felt like the Split Second of Krosan Grip would be more important to kill winter orb, counterbalance and other random enchantments than force of vigor. I agree that the Force would have been stronger versus DnT but as I said, I did not think I would be facing the deck with all the W&6s running around here currently.

Since I wanted to try the Leylines in the board I needed to make some space. I tried the second Blast Zone in the Drop slot and have to admit that I did not miss it at that tournament. The 4C decks even with Wrenn have a hard time going to resolve TNN in my experience (which is still pretty limited since those decks have not been around for long) against us. If Izzet with TNN makes a comeback I will definetly run drop again. I will do further testing and report back when I have more matches against these decks.

Thanks for the congratulations !

Here is the Decklist in written form :)

--Mainboard--

-Lands- 36
    4 Thespian Stage
    4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    2 Dark Depths
    2 Maze of Ith
    2 Taiga
    2 Windswept Heath
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Karakas
    1 Ancient Tomb
    1 Barbarian Ring
    1 Blast Zone
    1 Tranquil Thicket
    1 Sheltered Thicket
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Forest
    1 Glacial Chasm
    1 Waterlogged Grove

-Spells- 24
    4 Exploration
    4 Life from the Loam
    4 Crop Rotation
    4 Mox Diamond
    3 Punishing Fire
    2 Wrenn and Six
    2 Gamble
    1 Sylvan Library

--Sideboard--

4 Sphere of Resistance
    3 Krosan Grip
    3 Leyline of the Void
    2 Tireless Tracker
    2 Choke
    1 Blast Zone
    I have moved away from Grip for the most part as Force is a much better card in non blue matchups and still gets the job done in the blue ones. I have felt very favored in most blue matchups with spheres/chokes/trackers/normal things to counter, that having force has not came back to bite me yet.

In the non blue matchups, hitting 2 targets EoT is a big deal.

The only deck I would see the need for leyline is the BR Reanimate deck, which has a hard time getting around Crop Rotation. If you ply a ton of BR I would agree... the W6 games have tended to heavily favor is as they are durdling around and usually want to win through creatures, which we love.

The blast zone is fine as the card is so good and other than that, I think I am in the minority that W6 is not a good card for lands and am back on 4 gamble.

Hope to see more in the future from you

Nov 2014
    Geneva

I think I am in the minority that W6 is not a good card for lands and am back on 4 gamble.
    Interesting! Could you please give us more details about how and why you came to that conclusion?

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Darkgobs View Post
    Interesting! Could you please give us more details about how and why you came to that conclusion?
    Sorry,

Been traveling all weekend and couldn’t respond after I had a long response disappear into the oblivion of the internet.

Basically/:

Game 1: We generally have 2 plans, a fast 20/20 or prison/grind with Loam. W6 does nothing to help a fast 20/20 and with no fear of graveyard hate, dredging Loam every turn is the best way to recur lands and grind. Gamble helps both of these plans, allowing you to tutor for a missing piece or for the Loam/land you don’t have.

Games 2/3: Either the above stands true, or the opponent has grave hate/ways to interact with A and B above. With the graveyard being compromised we bring in Tracker and other cards to interact with the opponent instead of just playing on autopilot.

Having another card that relies on the graveyard is not where I want to be, especially when Tracker fixes any problem that we usually have after board. Being able to +1 Wren means they do not have grave hate, which means Loam is more powerful.

There are situations where Wren will be active in the face of some sort of hate, but there are also situations where Wren is useless where Loam is untouchable.

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

i like this to get back permanents we can't normally get back, like Wrenn6 or sylvan library or just an exploration or two...

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by non-inflammable View Post
    i like this to get back permanents we can't normally get back, like Wrenn6 or sylvan library or just an exploration or two...

Doesn’t do enough, too slow, costs too much. Heliod’s was just printed for late game recursion, ruins has been around for a while and a turn 4+ Wren after you already have Loam active does not seem very strong.

Edit: just won a 31 man event with straight RG combo lands. Still good
    Last edited by lavafrogg; 08-04-2019 at 09:01 PM.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Doesn’t do enough, too slow, costs too much. Heliod’s was just printed for late game recursion, ruins has been around for a while and a turn 4+ Wren after you already have Loam active does not seem very strong.

Edit: just won a 31 man event with straight RG combo lands. Still good
    Chain Posting, haven't lost in over 20 matches with this:

1 Tranquil Thicket
    1 Karakas
    1 Field of the Dead
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Ancient Tomb
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Blast Zone
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Wooded Foothills
    1 Forest
    2 Taiga
    4 Dark Depths
    4 Thespian's Stage
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Wasteland
    1 Barbarian Ring
    1 Ghost Quarter
    3 Punishing Fire
    4 Crop Rotation
    4 Gamble
    4 Life from the Loam
    1 Manabond
    4 Mox Diamond
    4 Exploration

Sideboard
    2 Veil of Summer
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Chalice of the Void
    1 Drop of Honey
    4 Sphere of Resistance
    1 Krosan Grip
    2 Force of Vigor
    2 Tireless Tracker

Field of the dead changed the fair matchups to where I am not really playing additional creature hate or chokes in the board and get to play 2 Veil/2 Blast.

So what bumped Lands back to a Deck to beat?
    Legacy
    &
    Vintage

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Epeirogeny View Post
    So what bumped Lands back to a Deck to beat?
    Massive amount of Delver in the meta forcing out tons of combo and Field of the Dead making control matchups into actual byes.

Anyone have any sb advice for a new lands player?

Also whats the reasoning of 4 Port over 4 GQ - too many basics in the format now?

Site Contributor

Feb 2011

I'm by no means a veteran Lands player, so take my experience/opinion with a pinch of salt. I started out playing with a 4 GQ build because of 'budget' options and because when I started with Lands that was actually a solid build. I have since gotten myself a set of Ports and I must say that I quite like them a lot. I still play a ghost quarter, but I surely prefer a 3 port/1 GQ over 4 GQ. I suppose one of the reasons is that it can also help in the mirror, against D&T, etc. Port provides a bit more utility, can switch between making mana and disrupting freely and depending on the matchup is also better at mana denial.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Non games are not only a common sight in Legacy, they are every decks plan. [...] Playing a deck like DnT and then complaining about "Non games" is hypocritical, because non games are your plan, you just disapprove of the way someone else is trying to achieve that same goal.

I haven't played for a while and was looking how Lands is doing.
    I have seen that some Lands decks now include 'Oko, Thief of Crowns' (as well as 'Wrenn and Six'). They include blue (again) to play it. One also included black to play 'Abrupt Decay' but dropped PF and Gamble.
    And I haven't seen one playing white in Lands.
    So is the white way (reanimate enchantments) not so good? Is Oko a good card to include, even if it is not so good with loam and means to include blue again...?

I posted this on a local-to-NYC group but figured it might live here as well. (We need more Legacy tournament reports!)

This past Saturday, I attended the Legacy Monthly at Good Games NYC. For those not familiar with the New York MtG scene, Good Games is located in Astoria, Queens, and they have what I consider to be the best non-rotating format support in the city. They hold a Legacy weekly every Monday, and their monthly Legacy and Modern tournaments on Saturdays regularly attract 30+ players. They also hold some occasional (proxy) Vintage tournaments, which is always a good time, and they've begun offering significant support for Pioneer. Oh, and their collection of Eternal singles is pretty solid.

The December Legacy monthly had 35 players, which made for 6 rounds of Swiss.

End Result: 4-1-1 (ID) for Top 8, who then chopped prizes. Round summaries below the decklist.

My Decklist: BUG Lands

Planeswalker

4 Oko, Thief of Crowns

Sorcery

4 Life from the Loam

Instant

4 Abrupt Decay

4 Crop Rotation

Artifact

4 Mox Diamond

Enchantment

4 Exploration

1 Sylvan Library

Land

2 Bayou

1 Blast Zone

1 Bojuka Bog

3 Dark Depths

1 Field of the Dead

1 Forest

1 Ghost Quarter

2 Maze of Ith

2 Misty Rainforest

1 Nurturing Peatland

4 Rishadan Port

4 Thespian's Stage

1 Tranquil Thicket

1 Tropical Island

4 Wasteland

1 Waterlogged Grove

2 Windswept Heath

1 Wooded Foothills

1 Verdant Catacombs

Sideboard

3 Choke

3 Force of Vigor

4 Flusterstorm

3 Sphere of Resistance

2 Plague Engineer

Round by round:

R1: BUG Food Chain (2-1)

This player is one of the world's foremost innovators and players in the Food Chain archetype, and I had a heads up he was trying some spice with a Green Sun's Zenith package!

G1: A quick Marit Lage is tough for him to deal with, especially without a white splash for Swords to Plowshares.

G2: I stall trying to disrupt Leon's combo plan, and he makes a very smart shift to beat down with Griffins when my shields are lowered.

G3: Don't remember all that much here, but I believe another timely Lage is able to run away with it.

Note: He went on a great run after this and won out to also make Top 8! Well-deserved.

R2: Sneak & Show (1-2)

G1: A turn 2 Lage comes down to steal a win in perhaps the worst matchup I could reasonably expect to face on the day.

G2: I keep him tight on mana with Rishadan Port and Spheres of Resistance, but he's able to Show & Tell in a Sneak Attack, then swing with Emrakul the next turn.

G3: I just about stabilize with Rishadan Ports in play and a Choke in hand, even after having to Force of Vigor a Blood Moon. But before I can land Choke, he drops Sneak Attack and kills me.

R3: BUG Nic Fit (2-0)

G1: I only see two Islands and a Brainstorm before killing him with Lage.

G2: He develops a board full of every basic land he needs, but he has nothing to fight a resolved Oko on my side, which quickly takes over the game.

R4: UR Delver (2-1)

I find this matchup to be the toughest of all Delver variants, especially on the draw. They have lots of critters and enough burn spells to put the game away unless I can combo fast or start making a loot of Food with Oko. They also have a basic-heavy manabase that can be tough to attack.

G1: He's on the play and quickly lands a Delver into Dreadhorde Archanist into Young Pyromancer. He sequences beautifully and gives me no shot at coming back.

G2: I'm able to land enough acceleration via Exploration and Mox Diamond to make an early Lage. He Submerges it, but I combo again the next turn, just in time to keep him from burning me out.

G3: I take a risky line early to Crop Rotation for a Tabernacle, which ends up slowing him down while he pings away with an unflipped Delver. I eventually find a Maze to answer the Delver. I'm then able to lock him down with Port and Choke while making enough Zombies with Field of the Dead to go on the offensive. He had some very rough draws this game.

R5: Infect (2-1)

G1: I'm able to cut him off mana completely after Ghost Quartering his only basic. Winning was easy from there.

G2: I played horribly this game, making a bunch of sequencing errors and even getting my Lage elked by his Oko. (Seems like Infect is playing one or two in the 75 now.) We get in an Oko battle and I make a terrible block, and he just grinds me out here.

G3: I mulligan pretty aggressively and am able to land a Plague Engineer to keep him on the back foot. He fetches for a Savannah, so I sense Swords to Plowshares out of the board, and I wait to combo until I can tap down or remove all his white sources during his second main phase. The plan works, and I swing for the win.

R6: Humans (ID), puts me at 4-1-1

Standings go up, and I'm in 4th out of ~35 players heading into Round 6, and it's safe for me to ID into the Top 8. I actually have to leave to head to an event, so I vote to chop but will just take a loss if the rest of the competitors end up playing it out. Fortunately for me, everyone decides to chop. (Seems about even as far as when players decide to chop vs. play it out at these, though it's always fun to hold the elimination rounds when time permits!)

If I were to run the deck back, I'd swap a fetch for another Tropical Island, and potentially move the Tranquil Thicket to another Field of the Dead or other utility land.

Thread Information