Page 243 of 254 FirstFirst ... 143193233239240241242243244245246247253 ... LastLast
Results 4,841 to 4,860 of 5079

Thread: [Primer] R/G Lands

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Re: [Primer] R/G Lands

Quote Originally Posted by Valleysdai View Post
    The upside to multani is that he can block fliers (like marit lage
    The weakness are that she costs more mana to cast, you lose mana on the table to return her, she helps you only when your ahead (And can afford to bounce lands) and her her powers one sided. (Does not count your opponents grave.)
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

The weakness are that she costs more mana to cast, you lose mana on the table to return her, she helps you only when your ahead (And can afford to bounce lands) and her her powers one sided. (Does not count your opponents grave.)
    I agree about the cost being too much and being a win more card, the most multani would probably be used for is a way of replaying etb lands (e.g. bog)

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

Are Rishadan Ports about to be an antique from a bygone era?

I played tonight with a 3/3 split between Ghost Quarter and Port. The Ports were lackluster and I will consider dropping them entirely.
    Highlight: I was able to completely strip every land from a burn deck with Ghost Quarter after I setup the Glacial Chasm shield.

Jan 2017
    Poland

Quote Originally Posted by non-inflammable View Post
    Are Rishadan Ports about to be an antique from a bygone era?

I played tonight with a 3/3 split between Ghost Quarter and Port. The Ports were lackluster and I will consider dropping them entirely.
    Highlight: I was able to completely strip every land from a burn deck with Ghost Quarter after I setup the Glacial Chasm shield.
    Well, try doing that to Miracles, Death&Taxes or Sneak&Show before they combo off ;) The problem with all-Quarter build is that you are even more grave-depemdant than usual and you are much more vulnerable to hate game 2 and 3. Sure, it's nice to have 4 Strip Mines against bad manabases, but I really can't tell how many times I wished my single Quarter was 4th Port instead :)

Quote Originally Posted by Wiktul View Post
    Well, try doing that to Miracles, Death&Taxes or Sneak&Show before they combo off ;) The problem with all-Quarter build is that you are even more grave-depemdant than usual and you are much more vulnerable to hate game 2 and 3. Sure, it's nice to have 4 Strip Mines against bad manabases, but I really can't tell how many times I wished my single Quarter was 4th Port instead :)
    This is why I like(d) my Ports.
    I was holding my 4 Ports 1 Quarter build for a long time; before that, it was a 4 Ports 2 Quarters build. Now, I'm down from 6 to 5 to 4 PortQuarter cards. I don't know if that is 'good' but I just have the feeling not having enough space in my RGu build for more of those cards. Now, I'm trying a 2/2 split, just because almost everyone plays more Quarters. I don't know if I'm happy with that. Maybe I go to 3/1 or back to 5 PortQuarters by cutting another card (which would be Karakas, I think). I don't think I'll include more than 2 Quarters; I tell you why soon...
    Just... sometimes it feels bad to draw a Port. Sometimes it feels bad to draw a Ghost Quarter... sometimes you wanted to draw the other card, sometimes just any other card. It's not easy to say which build is perfect.

Like you said, on gravehate, I like Ports more. (Sure, you can Quarter him once and again, when you draw another Quarter. Normally, he'll just get 2 basic lands and you lost 2 lands.)
    Also in early-game, it's better to tap the opponent out than just give him a less-good mana-land (except for sol-lands and special ability-lands... which you can tap as well ). My opinion.
    In midgame, when you have an active Loam or CoW, yes then you can try to kill all of his lands with Quarter. I also did that a few times. But for midgame, you don't need to have 4 Quarters in your deck. I mean, in my RGu, I have 2 EE. You can stall the opponent with EE and Academy Ruins or with QC and Loam. Why should I need more GQ than EE for this midgame-combo?
    Ports can be 'used' and you still have the land for mana, when you need it. GQ are lost mana, when used.
    I have a RGu build, so more control, less tempo. Ports still make more sense in this build (my opinion).
    Ports can be Spheres 7-10 (except for those ugly brainstorms...) where GQ can be Wastelands 5-8 just under special conditions.
    Oh yes, Ports can be wastelanded and then they do nothing more... but on the other hand, they can be a good bait for opponents Wastelands to not destroy another important land.
    And a little one: Copy a Port with Stage and you have one more taxing effect. Copy GQ and you lose your Stage if you use it.

Summary:
    Gravehate: Ports
    Early-Game: Ports
    Midgame: GQ
    Need Mana: Ports
    Cost: GQ sacrifice, Port costs ... let's call it a draw

In the end, it depends on your playing-style and the meta.
    A hand full of GQ against Omnitell or Storm... nope. But a Port slows him down at least one turn.
    Against decks with sol-lands, it doesn't really depend if you transform to a basic or tap it.
    Against a fast deck with basics, what do you do with a hand full GQ?
    The most people switched to GQ because of the fast(er) decks in legacy(?), but shouldn't that be the reason to stick to Ports? You don't slow them down with Quarters... not fast enough.

What are your experiences about that?

Quote Originally Posted by OldSpellMaster View Post
    In the end, it depends on your playing-style and the meta.
    A hand full of GQ against Omnitell or Storm... nope. But a Port slows him down at least one turn.
    Against decks with sol-lands, it doesn't really depend if you transform to a basic or tap it.
    Against a fast deck with basics, what do you do with a hand full GQ?
    The most people switched to GQ because of the fast(er) decks in legacy(?), but shouldn't that be the reason to stick to Ports? You don't slow them down with Quarters... not fast enough.
    I believe the reason for GQ prevelance right now is the greedy manabases of Grixis and Czech which combined are generally 20-25% of any given meta.

Having 8 strip mines vs 20-25% of the field is nice. While the Port I feel is only stronger vs combo decks which make up a smaller percentage than the Grixis/Czech share.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Port is best against decks with heavy basic counts where delaying them will push you over the edge to win. GQ is better against decks that have low basic counts that seek to play a midrange game themselves and thus delaying them will only mean they get to their hay makers and smack you.

Port is best against DnT, Miracles (A word I still need spellcheck for...) and shit like Nicfit, Fish, Golbins and High Tide. Of these decks only one of them is really popular right now.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Did anyone see Roucas's list in this league? I think other than the black splash just for Malestrom Pulse that there's some promise here for burning wish.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

I think Ports still have a place, if not just for Miracles and some combo matchups. There's a lot of maneuvering vs Miracles where you can't just start GQing because of Surgical and CB, Port allows you to play a draw go game if you find yourself in this spot. I'm on 3 GQ and 2 Ports at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

How are your builds right now regarding 'flex' slots. Do you have them main, SB or cut it?
    Barbarian Ring
    Karakas
    Tickets
    Manabond
    ...others

What about CotV, Trinisphere...?

Do you include any exotic cards? (wishes, Riftstone Portal, Intuition or even more exotic)

Do you have a RG, RGu or maybe RGb build?

Maybe with explanation why.

How are your builds right now regarding 'flex' slots. Do you have them main, SB or cut it?
    Barbarian Ring
    Karakas
    Tickets
    Manabond
    ...others

What about CotV, Trinisphere...?

Do you include any exotic cards? (wishes, Riftstone Portal, Intuition or even more exotic)

My current build is not really exotic. Not sure about the 3rd Maze ; I could cut it for a Barbarian ring I guess.
    In the SB I would like to find room for a 4th Kgrip (against Moon decks for instance), but what should I cut ? One Tireless tracker ?

Lands (36)
    1 Bojuka Bog
    4 Dark Depths
    1 Forest
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Glacial Chasm
    4 Grove of the Burnwillows
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Karakas
    3 Maze of Ith
    1 Misty Rainforest
    3 Rishadan Port
    1 Sheltered Thicket
    2 Taiga
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    4 Thespian's Stage
    1 Tranquil Thicket
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    1 Windswept Heath

4 Mox Diamond
    4 Exploration
    1 Manabond
    4 Crop Rotation
    3 Punishing Fire
    4 Gamble
    4 Life from the Loam

SB (15)
    1 Ancient Tomb
    2 Drop of Honey
    3 Krosan Grip
    4 Sphere of Resistance
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Tireless Tracker
    1 Trinisphere
    Pox -- Miracles -- Lands -- Candelabra Enchantress -- Dragon Stompy -- Eldrazi Stompy -- Sultai Control

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

imho Tracker is way too good to drop below 2 copies. I am currently even considering playing 3.

Why the Surgicals, though?

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    imho Tracker is way too good to drop below 2 copies. I am currently even considering playing 3.

Why the Surgicals, though?
    I like surgicals against Dredge, Reanimator, or Storm on the play. It is also good against other Loam decks.

Trackers were superpowerful when people used to side out their StP / Push / etc for game 2 against Lands. Now they know the trick :)
    But yeah, the card is amazing.
    Pox -- Miracles -- Lands -- Candelabra Enchantress -- Dragon Stompy -- Eldrazi Stompy -- Sultai Control

Quote Originally Posted by ParisFlorian View Post
    My current build is not really exotic. Not sure about the 3rd Maze ; I could cut it for a Barbarian ring I guess.
    I cut the 3rd maze for a Mishra's Factory. I'm never disappointed drawing one.
    Btw my exotic one is the single Tolaria West. It does a better job than Karakas, which I cut online but not on paper so far.
    How does Karakas perform for you?

How are your builds right now regarding 'flex' slots.
    Do you have them main, SB or cut it?
    Barbarian Ring / Karakas / Tickets / Manabond / ...others

Currently I’m on a RG build with 3 PF and 2 Vortex, 34 Lands with Barbarian main, and no spicies cards except a Mishra’s Factory. Sideboard is more or less classic.

But I’m also experimenting a Black version with Abrupt Decay instead of Vortex, and Chains of Mephistopheles in side.
    I didn’t yet play any single serious game, but it still fun and efficient up to now.
    IT IS TWO AND A HALF MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Quote Originally Posted by ParisFlorian View Post
    I like surgicals against Dredge, Reanimator, or Storm on the play. It is also good against other Loam decks.

Trackers were superpowerful when people used to side out their StP / Push / etc for game 2 against Lands. Now they know the trick :)
    But yeah, the card is amazing.
    Dredge is almost non-existing, or is that a thing in your meta? Anyway, you have access to Crop Rotation for Bojuka Bog.

There is no trick behind Tracker, he is just a good clock and CA engine which is not reliant on the GY and works under Blood Moon. When people's top priority is to disrupt your 20/20 from being put into play or attacking, Tracker is still a force to be reckoned with.

Quote Originally Posted by kravkenov View Post
    Currently I’m on a RG build with 3 PF and 2 Vortex, 34 Lands with Barbarian main, and no spicies cards except a Mishra’s Factory. Sideboard is more or less classic.

But I’m also experimenting a Black version with Abrupt Decay instead of Vortex, and Chains of Mephistopheles in side.
    I didn’t yet play any single serious game, but it still fun and efficient up to now.
    From time to time I'm also thinking about a black version with abrupt decay and chains. Chains is so funny against brainstorm. But the downside is: You don't want to dredge away those cards where punishing fires can be brought back.
    Because I like my blue splash,I would go GBu and not RGb. So cutting fires and gamble for decay and entomb doesn't seem to work.
    Tell me if you tested your version...
    Btw. I would also like to try a more lands version of LandsNauseam...

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    Dredge is almost non-existing, or is that a thing in your meta? Anyway, you have access to Crop Rotation for Bojuka Bog.

There is no trick behind Tracker, he is just a good clock and CA engine which is not reliant on the GY and works under Blood Moon. When people's top priority is to disrupt your 20/20 from being put into play or attacking, Tracker is still a force to be reckoned with.
    Dredge is a thing in my meta, and it is one of the few tough matchup to me (with Dragon Stompy)

Florian

Also your question seems quite surprising since Surgical is widely used in Lands SB.
    In recent Top8 decklists, it sees as much play as cards like Drop of honey or Chalice, and more than Ancient tomb.

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Haven't seen it so far and Crop Rotation + Bog was enough GY hate for me personally so far (I switched to Lands recently though). If Dredge sees more play in your area, I understand your choice, of course. ^^

btw, that's how Lands SB look according to mtggoldfish :P
    91% 4x Sphere of Resistance
    91% 3x Krosan Grip
    91% 2x Tireless Tracker
    55% 1x Chalice of the Void
    45% 1x Drop of Honey
    45% 1x Thorn of Amethyst
    45% 1x Choke
    36% 1x Ancient Tomb
    27% 1x Molten Vortex
    27% 2x Surgical Extraction

Thread Information