Page 101 of 254 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151201 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 5079

Thread: [Primer] R/G Lands

Re: [Deck] R/G Combo Lands

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    Or play a basic Swamp? I know it's not a Bayou, but still...
    Make it a Badlands and we can run 3x Wooded Foothills & 3x Verdant Catacombs to fetch any dual and/or a basic Forest. Also it taps for red!
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

Hello everyone, total newb to the deck here, have watched most of gigapatrick's videos (thanks a ton for those, would not be anywhere near ready for a tournament without them) and read the primer and the last few pages. With that out of the way: Going to be playing a tournament with 30-50 players tomorrow with a relatively well known meta. The main components of the meta will mostly be Miracles, 4c Loam, Eldrazi, Shardless BUG and Delver variations, in addition to 1-2 on Burn, Reanimator, Infect or other random strategies.

As a baseline I decided on this http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=19796&iddeck=150777 list here, with the only switch being -2 Boil +2 Choke (because of card availability, couldn't get the cards in time) and -1 Karakas + 1 Dark Depths. 4 Questions:

1. With the proposed switches, should I move the Ghost Quarter to the Sideboard and put the 4. Depths in the main?

2. Are there just too few G sources in the deck without the Quarter or is that usually not a big concern?

3. Is it absolutely insane to try to fight Reanimator without a Karakas in the 75 with only bog and Spheres/Chalice?

4. Is there anything obvious I am missing which makes the list unplayable?

Thanks in advance!

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

1. Leave the Depths in the side. Bring it in against Combo.

2. That list looks fine.

3. I am a dog to Reanimator with Karakas in the side, 2 Bogs split between the main and side and a sphere/Chalice package. That deck will fuck you anyway. Bring in the 4th Depths and go for speed.

4. Aside from a Karakas, no.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

3. I am a dog to Reanimator with Karakas in the side, 2 Bogs split between the main and side and a sphere/Chalice package. That deck will fuck you anyway. Bring in the 4th Depths and go for speed.

4. Aside from a Karakas, no.
    I have the same experience with Karakas, and feel its usually not good enough versus Reanimate and S&T. Reanimator often revives Griselbrand, and should be stopped before your opponent draws 14 cards (bog>karakas). And Tidespout Tyrant is entirely Karakasproof.
    It's the same versus S&T, where Karakas only really works on Emrakul. And Sneakattack will bypass that as well as soon as there's 2 red mana available. And postboard there's bloodmoon too. It's in this matchup that discard pulls more weight (hits combopieces and bloodmoon).

Dicebox, have you considered Surgical extraction instead of the second bog? You could gamble for it (like chalice in the stormmatchup) and remove an entombed Griselbrand, making both crop rotation and gamble firstturn answers. Would be sweet in the mirror too.

Quote Originally Posted by stnikolauswagne View Post

1. With the proposed switches, should I move the Ghost Quarter to the Sideboard and put the 4. Depths in the main?

2. Are there just too few G sources in the deck without the Quarter or is that usually not a big concern?

3. Is it absolutely insane to try to fight Reanimator without a Karakas in the 75 with only bog and Spheres/Chalice?

Thanks in advance!
    1. Yes. Every deck should be playing 4 Depths in the main. Your win percentage will increase. Not even sure Ghost Quarter should be in the 75.

2. Your list looks good. No need for Quarter.

3. Karakas by itself is not enough to beat Reanimator or Sneak and Show, since bouncing a Griselbrand that has just drawn the opponent 7 cards is pretty ineffectual. You either need things that work alongside Karakas, like Pithing Needle or Phyrexian Revoker naming the Griseldad, or you shouldn't play it in the 75.

4. No.

Oct 2015
    Virginia

61 main?

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by chaosjace View Post
    61 main?
    Is fine. It's less of an issue in Lands then other decks.

I will test Surgical later. I like it.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Another video set:

Leagues #6

Allright, finished the tournament.

First re: Quarter: Wanted it for this specific meta, since the best players are usually on miracles and I wanted every edge I could get.

As for the report:
    Finished 6th after standings in this 43 player gp trial and lost in the semifinals.

Rounds:

1: Played vs Maverick, not good. Lost G1 handily, to Knighth+mom+drs. G2 I controlled him with PFire and Waste+loam. G3 I got out an early Molten Vortex and killed 3 Knights, 2 mom and 3 DRS with it, but in the process I got a Dark Depths surgicalled after gaining 40 life from swords. Forgot to crop rotate into bog targetting myself. In the end the game ended in a draw. 0-0-1

2: Played vs Junk Aggro Loam. G1 I died to knight, G2 he kept a hand with no accelerationand I had multiple ports wastes and a quick combo. G3 he had the acceleration but I killed him at the end of his third turn via crop rotation into riftstone portal into a second crop rotation into dark depths with a stage on the board. 1-0-1

3: Played vs Miracles: Not much to say here, I lose game 1, G2 I grip a Blood Moon and a balance but lose to a second moon he got from an Enlightened Tutor. Not much Counter Play here. 1-1-1

4: Played vs BUG Delver. G1 he stifles my first fetch but I follow up with Mox Diamond, Exploration, Wasteland, Tabernacle and Loam, which kills him. G2 he counters some of my earlygame and hits me to 4 with a goyf before I rip a maze and stabilize over the next turns. I resolve a Chalice and find the combo the turn before he finds the decay that enables his stifles. 2-1-1

5: Played vs Goblins. G1 I open on Diamond, Exploration, Waste his Plateau, Tabernacle. Next turn loam seals it up. G2 he beats me down with a Thalia and a random 1/2 and when he taps out for a rest in peace I combo. 3-1-1

6: Played vs Omnitell(with mentor sb plan) G1 he kills me turn 4. G2 he has to pitch 2 Omnis to beat my chalices and can't reassemble the combo before I find mine. G3 I open on a quick choke+sphere of safety. He eventually manages to wear/tear the choke but I find ghost quarter before he untaps and quarter+loam+2 port make sure he never resolves a spell again. 4-1-1

6th after standings, won a Sylvan Library, not insane, not terrible.

Quarterfinals:
    On the draw vs BURg Delver with TNN and Angler. He steals G1 after I mull to 5, take slightly too long to establish Loam+Waste and he beats me to death over 6 Turns with a TNN and counters my Loam for 3 turns in a row. G2 is more to my liking, I resolve a Choke (and have ports) and he only finds the Decay after I set up Loam+Punishing Fire. G3 he establishes an early dominant board with 2 pyro tokens + Pyromancer, a Angler and a DRS. But only 2 Lands. I Fire his DRS, Crop Rotate into Tabernacle, Waste his Black Source and drop a Maze. He never recovers.

Semifinals:
    On the Draw vs Miracles. I open on a hand full of Ports, the combo and a Gamble. My Gamble is countered and he establishes Top + Balance and finds more white sources than I can handle. G2 I have a dominating opening with multiple Ports, a Crop Rotation, Wasteland, Ghost Quarter, Loam.... BUT he has the Surgical and boarded out the Bojuka Bog so I can't save my Loam. The game goes long and he beats me to 5 before I can kill his clique with an uncounterable Punishing Fire which drops me to 3. The turn before I can kill his last white Sources and combo he finds a second clique, which forces me to play the combo into his Swords. He Surgicals and my Depths and I have no outs left. A bit disappointing, but the guy was the best (Miracles) player in the room and he deserved the win.

Overall thoughts:

I liked the Quarter in this meta, probably still going back to 4 Depths, no Boseiju, 1 Karakas in any other meta.

Used Glacial Chasm 0 times, sided it out in most MUs. Am I not evaluating the card correctly or did I simply not run into any MUs where I needed it?

Had to mulligan a few hands due to lack of colored mana but only once to near oblivion (in the QF vs Delver).

I love the deck so far, a welcome change after playing a lot of U decks (mostly miracles) over the last year.

I think I have a long way to go as a player before I can consistently beat Miracles (if that is even possible).

I hate the trigger policy on Tabernacle even though it often benefits me. It feels so bad to have, what would otherwise be an exciting game ended because my opponents draws his card the turn after I play my Tabernacle. I hope people in my local scene will get used to it, but for the time being I will remind each player once that the triggers are his responsibility and that forgetting them leads to dead creatures.

The deck is hard as hell to play correctly and I cringe when looking back at some of the plays I made today.
    Last edited by stnikolauswagne; 03-20-2016 at 05:43 PM.

Overall thoughts:

I liked the Quarter in this meta, probably still going back to 4 Depths, no Boseiju, 1 Karakas in any other meta.

Used Glacial Chasm 0 times, sided it out in most MUs. Am I not evaluating the card correctly or did I simply not run into any MUs where I needed it?

I think I have a long way to go as a player before I can consistently beat Miracles (if that is even possible).

The deck is hard as hell to play correctly and I cringe when looking back at some of the plays I made today.
    Congrats on the finish. I'd take any edition of a Sylvan Library any day. (Well, I wouldn't really want a new-bordered foil, if those even exist in paper.)

On Chasm:

Card is a must have that will win you the game in other matches. I would side Chasm out against every one of your opponents except for the Burg Delver player, but even against decks with Shamans and Wastelands, it isn't at its best. It shows itself necessary against Burn, Dredge, Infect, Rug Delver, Death and Taxes, and a few others. Wouldn't move it out of main deck myself.

On Quarter:

Have never actually tried it myself, but seems underwhelming compared to a fourth Depths, a seventeenth green source, or a third Thicket effect.

On Miracles:

It is a winnable matchup, but now that we're a known entity, more Miracles players know that Wear/Tear is phenomenal against us. I think we have to be the combo deck against them and win in the first two turns (by the third it becomes much harder). We simply cannot play the long game against them and expect to win. Once they sideboard, they also have game against every relevant thing that we can do. Did you K-Grip Counterbalance? Well, too bad, because they also have Rest in Peace or Surgical Extraction. Did you play Choke and Chalice? Well, they have Wear/Tear. Did you Boil away their Islands? Well, they've got a billion ways to find more. Do you have Boseiju to recur Loam? Well, they just won with Entreat the Angels. Against a good player, I feel like the matchup is heavily in Miracles' favor. Turbo Depths probably has a little bit better game against them, since they can protect their Marit better than we can. When I win against them, it is usually because I have a quick combo hand and a hate permanent on the field. These are the types of hands to keep postboard I would say.

On the deck:

Yes, super super hard. I make embarrassing plays all the time, and I play the deck almost every day.

Against, congrats on the finish and the Library.

Dec 2013
    Lowell MA

As a baseline I decided on this http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=19796&iddeck=150777 list here, with the only switch being -2 Boil +2 Choke (because of card availability, couldn't get the cards in time) and -1 Karakas + 1 Dark Depths. 4 Questions:

Thanks in advance!
    Hey, that's my list from a recent tournament!

Ghost quarter was a spur of the moment decision that day, and it didn't really carry its own weight. I wouldn't recommend it.

Although lands is indeed difficult to play, the deck is powerful enough to sometimes make up for a mistake or 2. Which is good for someone like me, since I generally don't get to play with the deck as much as I would like, and tend to misplay a good bit.

Anyways, congrats on a strong finish and on the sylvan library.

Oct 2015
    Virginia

Has anyone tested Burgeoning? I really like it. (as a card, haven't tested it)

I guess I will test out 61 main, going to move chasm to the SB, and add a Ghost quarter and a bog to main, possibly SB a second tabernacle or second bog.

Monkey Blast
    Aug 2011
    Champaign, IL

Went 5-3 at the Legacy Classic in Indianapolis this weekend. Sadly my breakers stunk so I didn't make prize but had some awesome games. Played the traditional R/G list. I don't have too many notes but their were some solid and interesting plays.

Match 1: Infect W
    Match 2: Bant Stoneblade L
    Match 3: Miracles L
    Match 4: Miracles W
    Match 5: Tezzerator L
    Match 6: Jund W
    Match 7: Junk/Nic-Fit W
    Match 8: Shardless Bug W

Props
    -Blocking an Infect guy with Marit Lage, and getting 18 poison counters on the Marit Lage, and killing opponent over several turns with a 2/2 Marit Lage while waste locking him out of the game while having a 2nd DD/Stage ready incase something happened
    -Chalice at 1 on a Miracles player while triple porting him.
    -Nic Fit player failing to find a swords to hit lage
    -Wastelocking Jund and Shardless with Tabernacle
    -Got some Unlimited Taigas
    -People love The Source playmat and the JPN non-foil signed stuff

Slops
    -Bad hands and loams against Bant, and getting triple true named
    -No way to beat thopter/sword
    -Not getting a chance to wreck Eldrazi

Overall a fun weekend. I love this deck so much.

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Quote Originally Posted by UnsungHero View Post
    Went 5-3 at the Legacy Classic in Indianapolis this weekend. Sadly my breakers stunk so I didn't make prize but had some awesome games. Played the traditional R/G list. I don't have too many notes but their were some solid and interesting plays.

Match 1: Infect W
    Match 2: Bant Stoneblade L
    Match 3: Miracles L
    Match 4: Miracles W
    Match 5: Tezzerator L
    Match 6: Jund W
    Match 7: Junk/Nic-Fit W
    Match 8: Shardless Bug W

Props
    -Blocking an Infect guy with Marit Lage, and getting 18 poison counters on the Marit Lage, and killing opponent over several turns with a 2/2 Marit Lage while waste locking him out of the game while having a 2nd DD/Stage ready incase something happened
    -Chalice at 1 on a Miracles player while triple porting him.
    -Nic Fit player failing to find a swords to hit lage
    -Wastelocking Jund and Shardless with Tabernacle
    -Got some Unlimited Taigas
    -People love The Source playmat and the JPN non-foil signed stuff

Slops
    -Bad hands and loams against Bant, and getting triple true named
    -Not getting a chance to wreck Eldrazi

Overall a fun weekend. I love this deck so much.
    If thopters guy taps out to activate foundry then crop rotate for bog in response to etb. They can either shortcut this and tap out or if they are slick to bog then they will always keep a mana up. Rough indeed.

Monkey Blast
    Aug 2011
    Champaign, IL

Quote Originally Posted by snorlaxcom View Post
    If thopters guy taps out to activate foundry then crop rotate for bog in response to etb. They can either shortcut this and tap out or if they are slick to bog then they will always keep a mana up. Rough indeed.
    I forgot to mention Bog was in my hand -_-

Do you have a moment to talk about Primeval Titan?

May 2013
    Canada, eh

Quote Originally Posted by UnsungHero View Post
    Slops
    The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale

Jun 2010
    Germany

Hey guys, I've been playing RGCL with 3 Crop Rotation, 2 Manabond and 35 Lands config for quite a while now.
    I love Manabond and would never play less than 2.

Is it better to have 4 Crop and 1 land less to 34 lands? Lately every list I saw had 4 Crop Rotation but I just love Ghost Quarter...

On another note: 2 Primeval Titan SB have been really good for me...the face of your opponents is priceless once they see Titan entering.

Monkey Blast
    Aug 2011
    Champaign, IL

Quote Originally Posted by barcode View Post
    The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    Tabernacle didn't do anything, because they just don't pay the cost and just make a blocking thopter whenever lage swings and they also just gain a ton of life. If I didn't have bog in hand I could have stopped the loop with crop rotation. And then game 2 they brought in Leyline of The Void and Moon -_-

Oct 2015
    Virginia

did K grip not do anything or did you just never see it?

Monkey Blast
    Aug 2011
    Champaign, IL

Quote Originally Posted by chaosjace View Post
    did K grip not do anything or did you just never see it?
    Game 1 he locked me out, gaining a ton of life and having tons of blockers. Had bog in hand and couldn't crop rot for it. Game 2 he got thopters online, but he also had a moon and opened with Leyline, I was able to K Grip the foundry, but was able find another one with Transmute Artifact. They also sometimes run Ensnaring Bridge too. Its not a common match up, but can be very tough if you run into it. Theres so many problematic Enchantments and Artifacts in that deck.

Thread Information