Page 12 of 254 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer] R/G Lands

Re: [Deck] R/G Combo Lands

Quote Originally Posted by DML View Post
    Hi fellow Lands players.

I recently been to a small Legacy tournament, I went 2-3 in the end.

I just want to ask you a questions regarding *meddling mage*
    I lost 2 of my games due to this card + naming punishing fire.
    How to you usually play against Jeskai delver list or other list with meddling mage.

I know it's possible to play without punishing but it makes the matchup so much harder. Do you have any tips & tricks to think about ?

Thank you guys in advance for any answer / feedback =)
    Lands (and especially RG) works on a limited amount of cards, and these bottlenecks (loam, Pfire, Stage/Depths) are an inherent vulnerability of the deck. Pithing Needle, Meddling Mage, extraction, ... are all cards that can shut down an entire strategic line.
    Versus midrange/control try Seismic Assault, as it supplements creaturecontrol and is a fast killcondition along with loam (and bypasses Bloodmoon). Against Patriot/Jeskai Delver tripel red is too slow though, I would focus on the manadenial and pressuring with a welltimed token.

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Quote Originally Posted by Rivfader View Post
    Lands (and especially RG) works on a limited amount of cards, and these bottlenecks (loam, Pfire, Stage/Depths) are an inherent vulnerability of the deck. Pithing Needle, Meddling Mage, extraction, ... are all cards that can shut down an entire strategic line.
    Versus midrange/control try Seismic Assault, as it supplements creaturecontrol and is a fast killcondition along with loam (and bypasses Bloodmoon). Against Patriot/Jeskai Delver tripel red is too slow though, I would focus on the manadenial and pressuring with a welltimed token.
    I would like to add the following: to me manadenial means Waste and Port, along with Tabernacle. This way your strategy becomes two-sided: manadenial and creature-control. Dropping a Marit Lage-token means extra pressure. It will be hard, mind you
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    I would like to add the following: to me manadenial means Waste and Port, along with Tabernacle. This way your strategy becomes two-sided: manadenial and creature-control. Dropping a Marit Lage-token means extra pressure. It will be hard, mind you
    Resolving choke is amazing too, especially with Tabernacle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivfader View Post
    Resolving choke is amazing too, especially with Tabernacle.
    Hi thanks for all the responses. So what i get from this is the matchup is quite hard. To improve two matchups in one smash. i'll add 1-2 chokes in my sideboard.
    I was thinking about assault but it doesn't seem that good to me, i see that if you have it resolved it will be much easier to win Creature matchups, but i rather have the manadenial plan.
    Cheers,

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

If your going to run Choke, run two. It is such a strong card you want to:
    A) Have a higher chance of drawing it.
    B) Have an extra if you lose it to Counterspells, Gamble or removal.
    C) Be able to lose one to Loam and still have one live in your deck.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Quote Originally Posted by DML View Post
    Hi thanks for all the responses. So what i get from this is the matchup is quite hard. To improve two matchups in one smash. i'll add 1-2 chokes in my sideboard.
    I was thinking about assault but it doesn't seem that good to me, i see that if you have it resolved it will be much easier to win Creature matchups, but i rather have the manadenial plan.
    Cheers,
    It an oke matchup with all their nonbasics and burnable creatures, especially game 1 and if you have an accelerated loamengine going, which makes you draw into wastelands and Punishing Fires quickly. It's harder without exploration though. Game 2 and 3 are harder because of RIP and Meddling Mage, but I think Choke is a must-answer card for them as well.

About Seismic Assault, it adds a totally different angle to the deck, in just 2 sideboarded cards. The 20/20 flyer can be stopped by a common card like pithing needle or an extraction or an ensnaring bridge or a mom protecting Serra Avenger... Having a alternative approach in just two sideboarded cards, acting both as creaturecontrol besides Punishing Fire and a killcondition besides Depths/Stage makes the deck less vulnerable. Assembling triple red is very manageable when your dredging for red sources (1 fetch gets you both Taigas), while you're filling your hand with fodder or increasing gamble chances.

If your going to run Choke, run two. It is such a strong card you want to:
    A) Have a higher chance of drawing it.
    B) Have an extra if you lose it to Counterspells, Gamble or removal.
    C) Be able to lose one to Loam and still have one live in your deck.
    Hi Dice,

Would it be possible to run both? I myself think i only have two slots in my sideboard to give up on.
    Could you guys please post some of your sideboards ,
    My current sideboard is this :
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Dark Depths
    4 Krosan Grip
    2 Thorn of Amethyst
    4 Sphere of Resistance
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Primeval Titan
    1 Chalice of the Void

Usually sideboards consist of a core of 4 spheres, 2 thorns, a chalice, 4 KGrips and a Karakas (or a Bojuka Bog, depending what's maindecked). The fourth Depths, Needle and Primetime are fine choices, but these cards often differ if you look at different builds and could be other cards.

The sphere-effects go very well along with the manadenial against combo, while you attempt to combo first. This works against most combodecks, even against Omnitell to a certain degree, but it's way less efficient against Miracles. And since Miracles is the deck to beat, it's likely that the sideboard (or perhaps the maindeck) needs adjustment. Choke and Pithing Needle are probably the strongest cards versus Miracles, but every card you cut for them will make you weaker versus other matchups, especially against storm (as 7 sideboard cards - spheres/chalice - are really dedicated versus the matchup, whereas choke and needle don't do too much).

So how to board for a Omnitell / Miracles heavy meta. GP Kyoto was very Miracles/Omnitell heavy, and many Japanese Landsplayers splashed black for a (or some) Slaughtergames. Running Boseiju in the main is an idea (not sure if it's a good one though), there was also a SCGtop8list running a single maindeck Needle you could gamble for. Door played maindeck Worm Harvest to pressure a preboard countertoplock. I splash black for 2 maindeck Abrupt Decay's these days. But perhaps Miracles just is a (slightly?) unfavorable matchup, which can't be solved without diluting the decks gameplan versus other matchups too much.
    Against (nonblack) Omnitell, Iona is in my opinion a sweet gambletarget to side in, but sideboardspace is already tight and it's probably too narrow to warrant an inclusion. I haven't set on a sideboard I like versus the Omni/Miracles meta yet.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Do you guys think this is a good deck to trade blue staples to build? And by that I mean get the tabernacle? I am looking to trade away my blue as I haven't sleeved them up in years and am trying to decide between this and imperial painter.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

I'd make sure you are really someone who likes the play-style of lands. It's definitely not for everybody but those of us who love it really love it.

I'd personally never choose to play painter over it but I imagine you'd get the exact opposite response in the painter thread.

Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by supremePINEAPPLE View Post
    I'd make sure you are really someone who likes the play-style of lands. It's definitely not for everybody but those of us who love it really love it.

I'd personally never choose to play painter over it but I imagine you'd get the exact opposite response in the painter thread.
    Painter is a good lot of fun. I love them both to death. (Points for guessing the deck I play more though)

If you have to pick the age old is always true, Proxy first decide second. Both decks are things you are not able to cash out of with ease. Few cards shift around into other decks so really you should test them both and then decide.
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Painter is a good lot of fun. I love them both to death. (Points for guessing the deck I play more though)

If you have to pick the age old is always true, Proxy first decide second. Both decks are things you are not able to cash out of with ease. Few cards shift around into other decks so really you should test them both and then decide.
    I've had painter together on MODO before and it's definitely enjoyable. So many people screwed up against grindstone. That was probably my favorite part haha.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Life from the Loam is my favorite card in the world, which is why I think I am going to make the switch. Is the RG version the most fun?

Jun 2011
    Russia, SPb

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    Life from the Loam is my favorite card in the world, which is why I think I am going to make the switch. Is the RG version the most fun?
    If you're going to sell tropical islands for that, I'd recommend to leave them though. This way you will have an option to splash blue or run the full classic RUG version. I'd say it is more fun than the RG version, but more slow and complex to pilot.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted...

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Never played RUG Lands, but to me RG looks/ feels/ plays more straightforward.

Btw; I would never sell anything, unless absolutely neccesary or redundant. Keep your Blue staples, they can come in handy.
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Boom, I have everytging except the tabernacle. If I like the deck I will buy the big card. Super excited!

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Would any planes walkers fit in the sideboard as alternate non-graveyard win conditions?

Koth would do great things under a blood moon and many token producing planes walkers would love to sit behind maze of ith and tabernacle and tick towards their ultimate.

Mar 2013

The thing is, once you say "No graveyard" your limiting what lands you realistically have access too and the number you can access. Your unlikely to have a Tabernacle, multiple Maze and the Land needed to cast a 4 mana spell all at once without Loam. I just realistically can not see this deck protection a walker against something like DnT with RIP in play. I think other options like Titan, Titania or Assault are better options over any walker.

Do you have a moment to talk about Primeval Titan?

May 2013
    Canada, eh

I have been extremely happy with Primeval Titan as a non-graveyard plan B.

Fun Primeval Titan story time:

A Reanimator player Thoughtseized a Titan early in game three. I begin the mana denial plan and he eventually cobbles together a basic swamp and Thoughtseizes himself discarding Empyrial Archangel. Next turn he plays Lotus Petal and Exhume. Well, now it's time to go nuts. I fish up two parts of my combo and then my Titan attack into his 5/8 and fish up Glacial Chasm (sac Bojuka Bog) and Tabernacle.

(I bring in Primeval Titan to hedge against Show & Tell since he should know about Bojuka Bog.)

Mar 2013

So at the end of the day we will have a Mirror on camera for the Primer. A good day.

Also this is the Table one match... A Mirror at Table one.

Thread Information