Page 149 of 254 FirstFirst ... 4999139145146147148149150151152153159199249 ... LastLast
Results 2,961 to 2,980 of 5079

Thread: [Primer] R/G Lands

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Re: [Deck] R/G Combo Lands

New art on Crop Rotation. I hope they print it as a foil later on. (It's in a Dual Deck now.)

It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

This is not a deck for new frames if possible

Mar 2013

Frames don't bother me any longer. I pick up what I like art wise, can get Foil wise or can afford. But to each their own.
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

I know I was kidding. I like the new artwork itself a lot

without its flavour text crop rotation is not the same ^_^

Mar 2014
    London

New art on Crop Rotation. I hope they print it as a foil later on. (It's in a Dual Deck now.)

It is a terrible pun/art direction mash up.
    Lol look they ROTATED THE CROPS! HAHAHAHAHA

Crop Rotation is changing which crops you grow each year so as to preserve the health of the soil.
    Far too many cards these days are really bad jokes.

Sib

Ive been having problems lately with Aggro Loam.

Between chalice, knight, loam, deathrite shaman, scooze, leyline of the void. i'm having a hard time beating them. I feel the long game is not where I want to be, but chalice on 1 really hurts any short games plans...Any insight?

My list is fairly stock, I run bog & ghost quarter main.

Board is 4 Spheres, 4 Grips, 2 Trackers, 2 Warping Wails, 1 Chalice, 1 Karakas, 1 Boseju

thanks

Jun 2010
    Germany

djxstream you basically look for a hand that has acceleration (manabond, exploration, mox) and/or Tracker/Loam/Bog. The player with the superior start USUALLY wins. Timing with Bojuka Bog is very important to kill Knights with Punishing Fire.
    Denying their mana and having some Mazes can be nice if it works out. Be aware that they can disrupt your combo VERY easy with Knight (tutors Karakas and Wasteland). The games where they don't land a (early) Knight you are almost always winning. Don't be shy to waste their white mana. Knight is a tough one.
    Also, FOREST is very important. Keep up your Thespian's Stages or if you already see a Forest ( maybe on their side) and they don't have Wasteland open, copy the Forest right away! Can be useful later on. Of course, you sometimes have to copy Grove for Fire.
    Since my board has 4 Trackers and facing Chalice, I actually board out Crop Rotations (and Chasm, Boseiju, Manabond on the draw, 1 PFire. I could see arguments for Gamble instead but it's just so versatile). I usually bring in Bog, 3 Grips, 4 Trackers. The last card can really take over the game. In my experience they board out Liliana/PFire and sometimes even Decay.
    More often than not, the matchup is not really about mana denial, but rather about the Combo threat vs Knight.
    It's often better to hit your land drops and not waste them, especially when they started with Mox. That said, it's good to keep them off colors in the first turns.
    When you don't have Grip and face Leyline/Chalice, your best bet is to make your land drops and use Tracker and the DD Combo to threaten the win. I've had games with 2 Trackers beating him down which is funny, since usually 4c Loam is the creature deck. But 2/2s and 5/5 Knights don't cut it against 8/7 Trackers or something like that.
    Of note 1: the new 4cLoam lists board in 3 Swords to Plowshares against you, but it's useless with Chalice on 1. So I wouldn't K'Grip the Chalice most of the time.
    Of note 2: they often try to play Chalice on 2 to lock you out completely, which sucks. But again, Trackers and Krosan Grip & they lock their own spells, too.

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

It's a rough MU, you want to try and combo them out quickly (as they don't have many ways to beat MARIT LAIGE). Avoid a grindy game if at all possible.

I wouldn't be too worried about chalice @ 2 honestly, it turns off their loams/Bobs as well and they need to get to 4 mana. At the very least, in most scenarios they're playing chalice @ 2, I imagine you're probably losing to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

thanks for the notes...one more my recent games i lost because the player went for chalice @ 2. and chalice @ 1 + knight was already on the field. It was the difference maker and the knight had no sac targets and just attacked for like 4 turns to win as I drew PF, PF, Loam, Loam...with a loam in hand mind you. but yeah as long as its not just me and it is a rough matchup. thanks again

Running this list:

34 LANDS
    1 Bojuka Bog
    3 Dark Depths
    1 Forest
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Glacial Chasm
    4 Grove of the Burnwillows
    3 Maze of Ith
    1 Riftstone Portal
    4 Rishadan Port
    2 Taiga
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    4 Thespian's Stage
    1 Tranquil Thicket
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    1 Windswept Heath
    1 Wooded Foothills

16 INSTANTS and SORCERIES
    4 Crop Rotation
    4 Gamble
    4 Life from the Loam
    3 Punishing Fire
    1 Worm Harvest

11 ARTIFACTS and ENCHANTMENTS
    4 Exploration
    1 Manabond
    2 Molten Vortex
    4 Mox Diamond

SIDEBOARD
    2 Boil
    1 Boseiju Who Shelters All
    1 Chalice of the Void
    1 Karakas
    4 Krosan Grip
    1 Pithing Needle
    3 Sphere of Resistance
    2 Tireless Tracker

Considering:
    -1 Worm Harvest
    +1 Tireless Tracker

I haven't played with the Trackers yet (just putting them in); and while I've been testing with Worm Harvest it hasn't seen much action. Bottom line, I'm not experienced with either card and would like opinions.

My suspicion is that even if Worm Harvest is a little better game one, Tracker is probably a lot better post board. But that's just my guess at this point.
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

Do you have a moment to talk about Primeval Titan?

May 2013
    Canada, eh

Quote Originally Posted by Crimhead View Post
    Running this list:

34 LANDS
    1 Bojuka Bog
    3 Dark Depths
    1 Forest
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Glacial Chasm
    4 Grove of the Burnwillows
    3 Maze of Ith
    1 Riftstone Portal
    4 Rishadan Port
    2 Taiga
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    4 Thespian's Stage
    1 Tranquil Thicket
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    1 Windswept Heath
    1 Wooded Foothills

16 INSTANTS and SORCERIES
    4 Crop Rotation
    4 Gamble
    4 Life from the Loam
    3 Punishing Fire
    1 Worm Harvest

11 ARTIFACTS and ENCHANTMENTS
    4 Exploration
    1 Manabond
    2 Molten Vortex
    4 Mox Diamond

SIDEBOARD
    2 Boil
    1 Boseiju Who Shelters All
    1 Chalice of the Void
    1 Karakas
    4 Krosan Grip
    1 Pithing Needle
    3 Sphere of Resistance
    2 Tireless Tracker

Considering:
    -1 Worm Harvest
    +1 Tireless Tracker

I haven't played with the Trackers yet (just putting them in); and while I've been testing with Worm Harvest it hasn't seen much action. Bottom line, I'm not experienced with either card and would like opinions.
    Tireless Tracker is an absurd Magic card, an easy 4-of in the sideboard.

I'm not sold on Worm Harvest yet. There have been games where it's taken over and there have been games where it would have won, had I drawn it, there are games where it's rotted in my hand. I need more games with it.

I also wouldn't play Molten Vortex (sub for Karakas to free a spot in the board), but there you go. I also like the third Taiga for more green and red sources.

I've been really liking the Vorticies - at worst they eat Decay or Wear//Tear or Force, thus protecting my accelerants. Well at worse I dredge them, I guess, but I really like them if I actually draw them.

I'm anxious to see if these little Trackers are everything everybody says they are...

Mar 2013

Trackers are good.

I have cut Harvest. Another card that is killed by DRS or other grave interaction never helped me much. Often I would get to use it only one time. It did not help enough to keep it in.

Jan 2015
    Austin, TX

Hi all,

I recently made the jump and purchased a Tabernacle, so my deck will likely be assembled by next week. So I've solidified my decklist and started working on sideboard plans. There was quite a bit of info on that in various primers, but a lot of the information is dated - for instance, I couldn't find anything on Eldrazi. I was hoping you folks would be willing to take a look at what I have so far, and make sure my rationale for each match-up is correct.

First, here's the list:
    4x Exploration
    1x Manabond
    4x Mox Diamond
    4x Crop Rotation
    4x Gamble
    4x Life from the Loam
    4x Punishing Fire

4x Dark Depths
    4x Thespian Stage
    4x Grove of the Burnwillows
    4x Wasteland
    4x Rishodan Port
    3x Maze of Ith
    1x Windswept Heath
    1x Verdant Catecombs
    1x Wooded Foothills
    2x Tiaga
    1x Forest

1x Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    1x Glacial Chasm
    1x Riftstone Portal
    1x Ghost Quarter
    1x Karakas
    1x Tranquil Thicket

Sideboard:
    4x Krosan Grip
    2x Sphere of Resistance
    2x Trinisphere
    2x Boil
    1x Bojuka Bog
    1x Boseiju, Who Shelters All
    3x Tireless Tracker

Boseiju, Who Shelters All was moved to board due to it being arguably better with Sphere of Resistance in play. Is Ghost Quarter a good inclusion in the main, or should that really be a 2nd Tranquil Thicket? I know those Trinisphere want to be Sphere of Resistance, I'll work on that.

Miracles:
    Out: 1x Karakas, 1x Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, 3x Maze of Ith, 1x Glacial Chasm, 1x Wasteland, 1x Manabond, 4 Crop Rotation, 1x Punishing Fire
    In: 4x Krosan Grip, 2x Sphere of Resistance, 2x Trinisphere, 3x Tireless Tracker, 2x Boil

Essentially, this would jetison most of the board control gameplan and double down on resource denial, with Tireless Tracker for extra board pressure. I worry about siding out Wasteland, but it’s not a card that does a lot against Miracles, for the most part, they’ll be on basics.

Sneak-Show:
    Out: 4x Punishing FIre, 3x Maze of Ith, 1x Glacial Chasm, 1x Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, 1x Wasteland
    In: 4x Krosan Grip, 2x Trinisphere, 2x Sphere of Resistance, 2x Boil

This is another match-up where Wasteland, arguably, doesn’t do a lot. They run a lot of basics, and most SnS players worth their salt will have Blood Moon in the sideboard if not the maindeck. Is this a match-up where we want Tireless Tracker?

Eldrazi:
    Out: 1x Ghost Quarter, 1x Manabond, 1x Punishing Fire, 1x Karakas
    In: 4x Krosan Grip

I was told this is a rather favorable match-up for Lands, so overboarding is not a good idea. They will bring in Leyline of the Void, so we have to bring in Krosan Grip.

Death and Taxes:
    Out: 1x Tranquil Thicket, 1x Manabond, 1x Rifstone Portal, 1x Ghost Quarter
    In: 4x Krosan Grip

This was a hard one to figure out. The Sphere effects will be only semi-effective against an Aether Vial deck. Do I want Tirelss Tracker?

Any feedback or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to Lands!

Your list is pretty stock. Most decks run three Depths. The fourth is a meta-call if you are expecting a fast meta with lots of combo (although I'm not sure your board reflects that)

Karakas/Bog/GQ - usually run two of these main and the other on the side. I like Bog main myself.

Turn one of your 3Spheres into a Chalice rather than a SoR.

Vs Miracles, you forgot to board in Boseiju!

Vs Eldrazi Trackers might be good. A back-up engine is more often than not valuable post board (unless you have to race). I'd take out more PFs and leave the GQ.

Vs D&T take out some DDs becuase you're playing a long game and early tokens tend to die hard and set you back. Take out a Mox because they're soft to Revokers. Keep Punishing Fire and Karakas, as well as Riftstone because it's good with Trackers (which you want to bring in).

Best of luck, and have a blast!

Do you have a moment to talk about Primeval Titan?

May 2013
    Canada, eh

Welcome to Lands!

Your list is pretty stock. Most decks run three Depths. The fourth is a meta-call if you are expecting a fast meta with lots of combo (although I'm not sure your board reflects that)

Karakas/Bog/GQ - usually run two of these main and the other on the side. I like Bog main myself.

Vs Eldrazi Trackers might be good. A back-up engine is more often than not valuable post board (unless you have to race). I'd take out more PFs and leave the GQ.

Vs D&T take out some DDs becuase you're playing a long game and early tokens tend to die hard and set you back. Take out a Mox because they're soft to Revokers. Keep Punishing Fire and Karakas, as well as Riftstone because it's good with Trackers (which you want to bring in).

Tireless Tracker seems like an all-star against Eldrazi. You can save your K-Grips for their Ratchet Bombs and let Tracker hold the ground until you can assemble a 20/20.

Jan 2015
    Austin, TX

Welcome to Lands!

Yes, I don't believe in reinventing the wheel before learning how the wheel works, innovation could be possible down the line. This is not really a combo meta. I'm starting to prepare for these match-ups because I expect to see them. The only archetype of prominence I didn't include was Shardless BUG. As far as combo, Sneakshow is a thing in my metagame, we've got at least 4 players with the Cunning Wish version built (that I am aware of). It is a lot of fair decks though, so I think Lands will be in a pretty decent position. The 4th DD I decided to keep in the main largely for the sake of consistency, and with my inexperience with the deck, I wanted to increase the chances of drawing into combo G1.

I'll tweak the SB to include Chalice, but I don't fully understand it yet. Is it good after the loam engine is online? Because I play-tested against a chalice deck, I was on the draw, he lands Chalice on 1, and I could do nothing. Chalice does disrupt combo. Do you guys ever bring Chalice in to keep Tireless Tracker from being StPed?

Thanks for advice! How many Dark Depths can I afford to side out VS Death and Taxes?

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Quote Originally Posted by Drake0525 View Post
    Yes, I don't believe in reinventing the wheel before learning how the wheel works, innovation could be possible down the line. This is not really a combo meta. I'm starting to prepare for these match-ups because I expect to see them. The only archetype of prominence I didn't include was Shardless BUG. As far as combo, Sneakshow is a thing in my metagame, we've got at least 4 players with the Cunning Wish version built (that I am aware of). It is a lot of fair decks though, so I think Lands will be in a pretty decent position. The 4th DD I decided to keep in the main largely for the sake of consistency, and with my inexperience with the deck, I wanted to increase the chances of drawing into combo G1.

I'll tweak the SB to include Chalice, but I don't fully understand it yet. Is it good after the loam engine is online? Because I play-tested against a chalice deck, I was on the draw, he lands Chalice on 1, and I could do nothing.

Thanks for advice! How many Dark Depths can I afford to side out VS Death and Taxes?
    First of all, welcome!

Chalice will harm your opponent more. Vs combo: you could drop it on zero as well, while attacking their mana. Don't go all-in on Chalice though: most decks have ways to remove it. It is there to slow them down, while you combo fast.

Vs D&T: I would side out on, but I hate to go to the Grinding Game against them, so combo fast would be my advice (yeah, the opposite of what Crimhead says). Either they can remove your Witch, or not. Be wary of GY-hate g2 & 3, so it could be you will have to combo while a RiP is out (thus losing combo-pieces), so keeping all four is a choice to consider.
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

Jan 2015
    Austin, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    First of all, welcome!

Chalice will harm your opponent more. Vs combo: you could drop it on zero as well, while attacking their mana. Don't go all-in on Chalice though: most decks have ways to remove it. It is there to slow them down, while you combo fast.

Vs D&T: I would side out on, but I hate to go to the Grinding Game against them, so combo fast would be my advice (yeah, the opposite of what Crimhead says). Either they can remove your Witch, or not. Be wary of GY-hate g2 & 3, so it could be you will have to combo while a RiP is out (thus losing combo-pieces), so keeping all four is a choice to consider.
    Thank you! They can Swords to Plowshares and RiP there way to victory, this is true, but if I keep all the Dark Depths in the deck, and bring in Tireless Tracker, that's going to put a lot of strain on their removal. So maybe doing something like this could work:
    Out: 1x Tranquil Thicket, 1x Manabond, 1x Mox Diamond, 1x Ghost Quarter, 1x Life from the Loam, 2x Wasteland
    In: 4x Krosan Grip, 3x Tireless Tracker

This configuration would give me multiple lines to play out should an early RiP land. Siding out that Loam might be risky, but I'm not sure what else I could side out for that 3rd Tracker.

Thread Information