Page 51 of 254 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 5079

Thread: [Primer] R/G Lands

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Re: [DTB] R/G Combo Lands

I mean, this is all matchup dependent. People are assuming I just YOLO for the combo vs. any opponent which is obviously not the case or I'd be terrible at this game. However, there are plenty of decks where going for it early will win you games that could become iffy if your opponent is given time. Agree to disagree seems like the thing to do.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Quote Originally Posted by hyp3r1on View Post
    I see way too many inexperienced Lands pilots full throttle gun towards the Combo in matchups where it's ill-advised, get blown out - lose their land drops and put themselves in really ugly spots like under a Thalia/Revoker with only 2 lands in play.
    That's definitely true, you might combo yourself to death sometimes. However, usually it's just swords and wasteland that screw your combo game 1, and a bit experienced player knows how to deal with that. Those cards are also played in fair decks and we are already well positioned against them. If you run 4 depths in your 75, I don't see why you wouldn't start with 4 maindeck copies, as it gives you a better shot at racing bad matchups (where you don't have time to loam into your stuff). This deck is pretty unfavored against some decks, and it is such a sweet feeling to steal game one nonetheless :)

Oct 2015
    Uhmrka

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    This is what I have right now with another Maze, two more Loam, two Stage and a Karakas coming. I kind of want to keep the old Karakas in the deck though. Feels nicer to have it and Tabernacle side by side on the table both from the same set.

Also this is mostly the cheaper end of the deck to foil. The worst is yet to come, but I am finishing this. I love this fucking deck and it's the first one I have decided to devote this level of attention too. When I finally travel overseas and play at a larger than 6 round event (biggest I have been in) I want people to know this is a deck I love and I am skilled at piloting.

Also getting set foil Groves, because Vault foil is shit even if the card boarder looks nicer.
    On the topic of Depths, I run 3 and feel like I would be better off with a Bog, Ghost Quarter or some other utility land in the place of the 4th Depths. I see us as a control deck with a combo finish. Yes you can combo fast and if that's an option I will take it, but if your having a slow game there really is no benefit to another Depths.
    Those new wastes looks sweet!

Regarding depths, automatic four of. I play urborg to allow it to tap for mana. In bad matchups, the 4th depths is a winning card. Depths is also inevitability. We play depths and they have to respect what will happen next turn.

Here are my pet cards: http://imgur.com/a/b4z1q
    Last edited by Cfetchcaviar; 12-03-2015 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    I strongly disagree with this. The deck becomes so much more explosive and powerful with the 4th Dark Depths. R/G lands is first and foremost a combo deck, not a glacially slow prison deck like the older lands builds. I mean sure it doesn't really do anything - EXCEPT WIN YOU THE GAME. Don't forget that.
    indeed.

i got to play this deck 2 times. first time i played w/ 3 depths, and got 2 draws. (sometimes, it is hard to resolve a gamble or a crop =/)

but w/ 4 depths, indeed i got to combo kill way better. last night i got 3 combo kills T2. (playing a 8-man)

so, for now, i guess 4 depths is the way to go.

i thought about riftstone, but i guess it is stronger in the jund shell, since they got entomb.

Do you have a moment to talk about Primeval Titan?

May 2013
    Canada, eh

Quote Originally Posted by seilaquem View Post
    indeed.

i got to play this deck 2 times. first time i played w/ 3 depths, and got 2 draws. (sometimes, it is hard to resolve a gamble or a crop =/)

but w/ 4 depths, indeed i got to combo kill way better. last night i got 3 combo kills T2. (playing a 8-man)

so, for now, i guess 4 depths is the way to go.

i thought about riftstone, but i guess it is stronger in the jund shell, since they got entomb.
    The draws are a function or your inexperience with the deck, not playing 3 Depths. As you gain more experience with the deck you will have fewer draws.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

I think the difference between 3 and 4 Depths comes down to this question: Combo or Control?

Personally I am a control player. Lands, MUD, Miracles, Thopter Blade, Painter, these are the kinds of decks I play around with. (Infect on the side and sometimes Elves) From my view point, that Depths, a card that does exactly nothing on its own, is a card I could better use as a Bog, Quarter, Karakas or Tabernacle.

The idea of playing a card like Urborg or Portal to make it useful to me is a double hit. Now I am losing that Bog, Quarter or Tabernacle AND a land slot to make my choice of another otherwise dead card more effective. That stinks. Sure, I sometimes will make my Witch faster, but the gains are not worth (to me) the costs at that point. I would sooner go to 2 Depths main if I needed another Control piece in the main then I would go to 4.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

The other thing about dropping all of the utility lands (Bog, Quarter, Karakas) is that when you don't have access to them - you'll REALLY miss them in matchups where they're relevant.

Also, I used to run Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth in Lands for some time but after a while I came to the opinion that it's quite poor unless you're going deep with something like Raven's Crime or Worm Harvest. Allowing a deck like Miracles to tap their fetch lands to spin the top and creature-based decks to pay for Tabernacle with fetch lands is really rough for you.

I think the difference between 3 and 4 Depths comes down to this question: Combo or Control?
    The one extra Depths is just a fringe difference, but I value the comboaspect of this deck quite high. Like Chatto said, it has to do with playstyle and being proactive rather than reactive. I believe (that's subjective ofcourse) that a more combostreamlined maindeck wins me more games than the addition of extra silverbullets would. The combo can win you the game against any opponent, silverbullets can only prevent you from loosing versus some matchups (but ultimately don't win you the game, although granted some silverbullets are almost a win versus some decks). In the end, winning is more important than controlling the game, as long as you know the deck well enough to prevent yourself from fizzling and setting yourself back into a loosing position.
    4 Depths is for me comparable to the 4 copies of Loam and Pfire, you only need one but you pack four because you want chances as high as possible to get a hold of one. Ofcourse 2 Depths in your openerhand sucks, but actually 2 loams or 2 Pfire in the opener aren't optimal either. It is the nature of a deck that draws a large part of its consistency in 4-offs, making it more likely to dredge into them or have them in the opener.

Allowing a deck like Miracles to tap their fetch lands to spin the top and creature-based decks to pay for Tabernacle with fetch lands is really rough for you.
    This is actually not true. Instead of tapping fetches for mana under urborg, your opponent might as well have fetched for a nonbasic, because it exposes him to wasteland just the same.
    Last edited by Rivfader; 11-01-2015 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivfader View Post
    This is actually not true. Instead of tapping fetches for mana under urborg, your opponent might as well have fetched for a nonbasic, because it exposes him to wasteland just the same.
    If you're under a Counterbalanace lock they don't need to play around Wasteland. When your only outs are to get them to break their 3 top by fetching or to lock down all White Sources and go for the combo - allowing them to eot spin top with a fetch is miserable. I know the Lands/Miracles matchup better than any other decks in mtg.

What is the best way to interact with Miracles? Nowadays the deck runs lot of basics (like 5 island and 2 plains) and the wasteland lock is not as utile as with other MU...
    Last tournament I just draw with a miracle deck (that cause me bot to enter the T8), I win the first game, but second he plays 2 blood moon (I'm expecting only one) but the game is too long and I just want to win (or die obviously) in short time...I will never go to turns every time I meet miracles

If you're under a Counterbalanace lock they don't need to play around Wasteland. When your only outs are to get them to break their 3 top by fetching or to lock down all White Sources and go for the combo - allowing them to eot spin top with a fetch is miserable. I know the Lands/Miracles matchup better than any other decks in mtg.
    Yea you are right, but, not meaning to be a nitpicker here, this is a very particular scenario in a particular matchup (counterlock in Miracle matchup), in comparison to what you posted earlier (and even here it is conditional, in having a wasteland on our battlefield or not, during the EOT tapping).

Yea you are right, but, not meaning to be a nitpicker here, this is a very particular scenario in a particular matchup (counterlock in Miracle matchup), in comparison to what you posted earlier (and even here it is conditional, in having a wasteland on our battlefield or not, during the EOT tapping).
    It's not just against Miracles. Let's say you're playing against RUG Delver. You have no Exploration in play, are on a quick clock and staring down a Nimble Mongoose. Your route to victory is a Tabernacle/Wasteland lock. With Urborg in play you effectively have to double Wasteland them without the aid of Rishadan Ports if they keep on playing fetches. I know it sounds like another extreme corner case scenario and a lot of lesser opponents won't even catch that they can tap their fetch lands for mana. But honestly, I've playtested with Urborg for quite some time and these weird situations kept on coming up (especially in fair creature matchups) where Tabernacle should have been doing a lot more board control then it was doing in conjunction with Urborg.

It's not just against Miracles. Let's say you're playing against RUG Delver. You have no Exploration in play, are on a quick clock and staring down a Nimble Mongoose. Your route to victory is a Tabernacle/Wasteland lock. With Urborg in play you effectively have to double Wasteland them without the aid of Rishadan Ports if they keep on playing fetches. I know it sounds like another extreme corner case scenario and a lot of lesser opponents won't even catch that they can tap their fetch lands for mana. But honestly, I've playtested with Urborg for quite some time and these weird situations kept on coming up (especially in fair creature matchups) where Tabernacle should have been doing a lot more board control then it was doing in conjunction with Urborg.
    Honestly, I don't see it. If he taps a fetch under Urborg (as a Tabernaclepayment, or anything else), his fetch gets wasted. If he doesn't tap the fetch, well then you'd need double waste for this fetch regardless if there's Urborg on the table or not.

Sorry, I didn’t explain that too well. Basically, you don’t want to be using your resources having to Wasteland fetch lands as opposed to actual lands - especially in tight games and especially without the ability to cheat land drops.

Sorry, I didn’t explain that too well. Basically, you don’t want to be using your resources having to Wasteland fetch lands as opposed to actual lands - especially in tight games and especially without the ability to cheat land drops.
    Well im sorry but you didnt explain it well this time either, because your statement simply isn't correct. If your opponent taps a fetch to pay tabernacle, then you get to waste it. If he doesn't tap the fetch, you'd need double waste with or without urborg.
    So please correct me in a simple rational argumentation, or pm me with some elaborate gamestates, because this discussion is probably getting cloggy.

Re: [DTB] R/G Combo Land

Well im sorry but you didnt explain it well this time either, because your statement simply isn't correct. If your opponent taps a fetch to pay tabernacle, then you get to waste it. If he doesn't tap the fetch, you'd need double waste with or without urborg.
    So please correct me in a simple rational argumentation, or pm me with some elaborate gamestates, because this discussion is probably getting cloggy.
    I'll try to help here - correct me if I am wrong, but what he is getting at is RUG delver, for example, plays 18 lands. 10 tap for mana (4 wasteland, 3 trop, 3 volcanic). Once you destroy these lands they are 100% locked out. With Urborg, they have 8 fetch lands that now can tap for mana to play out of a tabernacle/wasteland lock. Point is it gives them 8 more outs.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

So I am watching the replay of the Modern SCG event right now and something odd came up. According to Gerry Thomson, Chris Anderson played a single Koth of the Hammer in his Lands build. It's not on the site though so... I mean it's interesting. Still not much of a step up from just being dead to a Moon.

Quote Originally Posted by RStien321 View Post
    I'll try to help here - correct me if I am wrong, but what he is getting at is RUG delver, for example, plays 18 lands. 10 tap for mana (4 wasteland, 3 trop, 3 volcanic). Once you destroy these lands they are 100% locked out. With Urborg, they have 8 fetch lands that now can tap for mana to play out of a tabernacle/wasteland lock. Point is it gives them 8 more outs.
    RUG has exactly 3 cards they can use that mana with. Force, Daze and Gofy. Giving them colourless is not exactly a big deal. Wastelands are close to dead lands for them mana wise.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Oct 2012
    New Orleans

If the greatest asset to the riftstone is to combo faster, wouldn't an ancient tomb be better in its place? Previously tomb was used in the sb to give you 9 ways to turn 1 a sphere but it also allows you to combo with 1 stage 1 depths 1 forest and a crop rotation. I've played lands for over 4 years to a fair amount of success, and usually play very controlling. This is the ghost quarter spot for me and I don't see it as necessary since the combo, and it will also give you the consistency to play turn one sphere post board. Also turn two choke/3 sphere vs miracles.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Oct 2012
    New Orleans

Also I don't like 4 fetches/3 fetchables. I've been playing the one canopy in the fourth fetch spot for some time.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Re: [DTB] R/G Combo Land

Quote Originally Posted by RStien321 View Post
    Hi RSTein, in addition to what Dicebox just said, your opponent should use his fetch to protect his manabase from wasteland when he doesn't need the mana. Tapping a fetch for mana under Urborg, is exactly the same as fetching for a nonbasic in terms of vulnerability to wasteland. And now I promise this is the last time I post about this :)

Thread Information