Page 52 of 254 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 5079

Thread: [Primer] R/G Lands

Oct 2012
    New Orleans

Re: [DTB] R/G Combo Lands

Another idea is a grudge/rayofrev in the place of a grip (plays well with gamble/dredge)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Use to run a one of Grudge. Personally found Split second to be worth the risk.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Oct 2012
    New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by gigapatrick View Post
    I've been watching your videos for some time:

Don't play your t1 mox into a daze.
    You aren't dead to waste as long as you have stage up.
    You can copy a copied chasm with a second stage so no reason wasting land drops replaying chasm.
    Game 1 if you have a mox lead with port, still leaves up fire. Also I wouldn't pitch the second port to mox, keeping opponent off 3 slows tnn which is one of the few ways to break out of maze/pfire. Tnn forces you to go into the chasm loop sooner than you might be ready for.

So I am watching the replay of the Modern SCG event right now and something odd came up. According to Gerry Thomson, Chris Anderson played a single Koth of the Hammer in his Lands build. It's not on the site though so... I mean it's interesting. Still not much of a step up from just being dead to a Blood Moon
    What do you think about Koth? It is better than Seismic Assault/Molten Vortex post sideboard? Is it necessary to give a slot to those cards??

Oct 2012
    New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by meso94 View Post
    What do you think about Koth? It is better than Seismic Assault/Molten Vortex post sideboard? Is it necessary to give a slot to those cards??
    Imo if you are looking for a hedge for blood moon I think molten Vortex is the best choice in that it is useful vs. Nonmoon matches and is easiest to cast of the three when the moon is not in effect. Almost like a 5th punishing fire in the matches where that effect is good. Koth on the other hand might be good vs. Miracles but I haven't tested the card at all.

Im still looking for ´alternative´ win conditions!?!

Primeval Titan is good, but I feel I (we) need at least 2-3 alternatives? Blightsteel Colossus would be great (the shuffle effect really synergies with this deck), but a cc 12 is to much I think?

- What about Scuttling Doom Engine ? Colourless casting cost, he is Abrupt Decay proof, can't be blocked by all the small legacy staples creatures, hit for 6, dont pay upkeep to tabernacle hit for 6 more?

- Karn Liberated also has colourless casting cost, he is Abrupt Decay proof and is really good!

- Or maybe the good old Thrun, the Last Troll aka the Jace-Killer?

- I so wish Creeping Tar Pit was RG! I feel Raging Ravine might be worth a try? The counters put on Raging Ravine remain on it even after it stops being a creature. They'll have no effect until it becomes a creature again. Exchange the 3rd Depths with this?

- Treetop Village ?

The problem with creatures is that they dont synergy when we maze opponents creature, they will then have a blocker...
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by t000 View Post
    Im still looking for ´alternative´ win conditions!?!

Primeval Titan is good, but I feel I (we) need at least 2-3 alternatives? Blightsteel Colossus would be great (the shuffle effect really synergies with this deck), but a cc 12 is to much I think?

- What about Scuttling Doom Engine ? Colourless casting cost, he is Abrupt Decay proof, can't be blocked by all the small legacy staples creatures, hit for 6, dont pay upkeep to tabernacle hit for 6 more?

- Karn Liberated also has colourless casting cost, he is Abrupt Decay proof and is really good!

- Or maybe the good old Thrun, the Last Troll aka the Jace-Killer?

- I so wish Creeping Tar Pit was RG! I feel Raging Ravine might be worth a try? The counters put on Raging Ravine remain on it even after it stops being a creature. They'll have no effect until it becomes a creature again. Exchange the 3rd Depths with this?

- Treetop Village ?

The problem with creatures is that they dont synergy when we maze opponents creature, they will then have a blocker...
    I do not think that this deck can support high mana cost spells...we produce a lot of colourless mana and lots of lands provide no mana (see Tabernacle of Mazes for example), that is what I think about your analysis:

- Colossus really costs too much, it is not so common to have 12 mana to cast it and the "shuffle" effect is not so great, we do not lose to mill for example (like vs grindstone, but always we play with graveyard to continue Loam loop as our goal...so I do not thinkthat blightsteel could be a viable option

- Scuttling Doom Engine is a good idea, but i think that titan is just more good in comparison to mana cost, he tutors combo pieces or utility lands, better than a 6/6 with no istant effects

- Karn is good, but, a part for mana cost, It has no interaction with the deck, just a really strong PW viable only in MUD's lists (and not in all lists in my opinion)...and it is the same for Thrun, just a good modern card in old Pod's deck

_ Manlands ar really good, but we have a combo, and really do not want to have a land that enter tapped in first turn and really do not think that i will tutor for it using a crop rotation

I think to give to Koth a chance this weekend at a tournament and post the results of this test...hope that he will have some good impact in the deck

Im still looking for ´alternative´ win conditions!?!.

Titania, Protector of Argoth
    Primeval Titan

are really the only ones that work well with the deck. when i ran them never got a chance to use them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by meso94 View Post
    I do not think that this deck can support high mana cost spells...we produce a lot of colourless mana and lots of lands provide no mana (see Tabernacle of Mazes for example), that is what I think about your analysis:

- Colossus really costs too much, it is not so common to have 12 mana to cast it and the "shuffle" effect is not so great, we do not lose to mill for example (like vs grindstone, but always we play with graveyard to continue Loam loop as our goal...so I do not thinkthat blightsteel could be a viable option

- Scuttling Doom Engine is a good idea, but i think that titan is just more good in comparison to mana cost, he tutors combo pieces or utility lands, better than a 6/6 with no istant effects

- Karn is good, but, a part for mana cost, It has no interaction with the deck, just a really strong PW viable only in MUD's lists (and not in all lists in my opinion)...and it is the same for Thrun, just a good modern card in old Pod's deck

_ Manlands ar really good, but we have a combo, and really do not want to have a land that enter tapped in first turn and really do not think that i will tutor for it using a crop rotation

I think to give to Koth a chance this weekend at a tournament and post the results of this test...hope that he will have some good impact in the deck

Hi Meso94.

Thanks for your feedback/analysis. I agree on most of your points, I feel this deck looses cards to Manabond, I feel it could be replaced with something else. But that also counts to Loam (with is an awesome card in this deck). Riftstone Portal has done wonders for me, as u mention the ´non-mana´lands keeps us from getting mana. Im thinking of trying 1 urborg and maby 1 hexmage MB? Ive tried Koth on Cocatrice, either i lose him to dredge and when I finally get him, his 1x 4/4 doesn't do much... Titan is some times hard to cast. I really think we need a good G og GR man land! Ill say it again, a green C-Tarpit would be perfect!
    Regards

Hi Meso94.

Thanks for your feedbakc/analysis. I agree on most of your points, I feel this deck looses cards to Manabond, I feel it could be replaced with something else. Riftstone Portal has done wonders for me, as u mention the ´non-mana´lands keeps us from getting mana. Im thinking of 1 urborg and many 1 hexmage MB?
    loses*

Adding just 1 Urborg and 1 hexmage just gives more dead draws. You can't get hexmage back if you dredge it. It each becomes sort of half of a stage. That double black in hexmage means you almost never will cast it without Urborg also. To make hexmage and urborg useful you'll need multiple hexmages and then that steers the deck towards a more black heavy list which then focuses more on discard and hand disruption than the combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolai004 View Post
    Adding just 1 Urborg and 1 hexmage just gives more dead draws. You can't get hexmage back if you dredge it. It each becomes sort of half of a stage. That double black in hexmage means you almost never will cast it without Urborg also. To make hexmage and urborg useful you'll need multiple hexmages and then that steers the deck towards a more black heavy list which then focuses more on discard and hand disruption than the combo.
    Double black is indeed too hard to have.
    But after DDT being banned, I've been tempted in testing Thoughtseize along with Sphere as combohate. Already had the chance of testing it once in a 37-people event, and it was very good (went 4-2 in a hostile environment of RW-RIP-bloodmoon-hatedeck(0-2), RWPainter (2-1), Miracles (2-0), ANT (0-2), ANT (2-1), RIP-Enchantress (2-1). The only downside is having black mana in the opener, but I tweaked the manabase a bit and never was colorscrewed.
    Has anyone else tested Thoughtseize, or thoughts about the card?

Jun 2015
    New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Rivfader View Post
    Double black is indeed too hard to have.
    But after DDT being banned, I've been tempted in testing Thoughtseize along with Sphere as combohate. Already had the chance of testing it once in a 37-people event, and it was very good (went 4-2 in a hostile environment of RW-RIP-bloodmoon-hatedeck(0-2), RWPainter (2-1), Miracles (2-0), ANT (0-2), ANT (2-1), RIP-Enchantress (2-1). The only downside is having black mana in the opener, but I tweaked the manabase a bit and never was colorscrewed.
    Has anyone else tested Thoughtseize, or thoughts about the card?
    While its not exactly thoughtseize, I thought about Cabal therapy in the side with some number of dryad arbor for the flashback. It doesn't hurt as much to dredge as thoughtseize and I'd imagine that if you are bringing in discard to combat combo, you probably already know which cards to name with therapy. Not that I expect this to happen very often, but the dryad arbor could also keep you from getting killed by telemin performance out of the stoneblade sideboard (Happened to me once last weekend at the 40 duals tournament in coopersburg). Could also chump for days against tarmogoyf if you have loam going. Let us know if you continue to have good results with thoughtseize!

Banned
    Nov 2005
    Sigil, Center of the Planes - Italian district

Vine Centaur 3G

Trample

Vine Centaur enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter for each land in all graveyards.
    Whenever a land is put into a graveyard from anywhere you may pay GG. If you do, return Vine Centaur from the graveyard to your hand.

1/1

From. Seems really cool. Is this the alternative wincon we were looking for?

Mar 2013

That is very interesting. I am going to pick up a pair and test them. I think its the best thing that has come along for us in a good little while.

Edit:
    Unless someone can shoot a hole in my excitement, I like that this could offer a faster clock in control matches.
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Instead I don't think that this card is as good as we can see, for this reason:
    1) it depends on graveyard, we need and alternative win condition that do not play with grave and help us to fight for victory, also post sideboard
    2) The third ability return the card to hand, witch means that we need like 6 mana (3 G specific) to return and play the same turn and it can be a sample 1/1 against opponent grave-hate
    3) The only thing that I like is the Trample effect that gives him a lot of changes to overcome the fragile blockers of opponents...specifically if this becomes really huge in power...

Definitely a good card, but I do not think that is worth a slot in out deck, but feel free to contrast with my opinion

Banned
    Nov 2005
    Sigil, Center of the Planes - Italian district

I agree that the perfect alternative wincon should be graveyard independent. But it should be graveyard recurrable as well, and it's unlikely that such a dream card will ever exist. I see this card as an alternative wincon to Dark Depths itself, for example to be played in conjunction with DD when DD isn't available due to a Pithing Needle or something like that. Consider other alternative wincons for a comparison: Seismic Assault and Molten Vortex seemingly don't do that much without an active Loam, while Primeval Titan costs 6 and is lost forever once it gets dredged. The utility of Vine Centaur seems somewhere in between.

Edit: the closest comparison is probably Worm Harvest. The centaur can be removed by StP, but has slightly easier mana requirements

Mar 2013

I was thinking put one in the main in place of a Manabond. Just down to one Bond and add one of these. It helps in the matches that you lose because your just too fucking slow to kill.

Just had a thought. Do not play him online... All those triggers...

Quote Originally Posted by Morte View Post

Vine Centaur 3G

Trample

Vine Centaur enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter for each land in all graveyards.
    Whenever a land is put into a graveyard from anywhere you may pay GG. If you do, return Vine Centaur from the graveyard to your hand.

1/1

From. Seems really cool. Is this the alternative wincon we were looking for?
    oh i dig this. will 100% try it out. even mainboard.

Do you have a moment to talk about Primeval Titan?

May 2013
    Canada, eh

Cool card. Goblin Rabblemaster is 3 mana and fits the bill of not needing to use the graveyard. It's also a fast clock if left unchecked.

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Quote Originally Posted by barcode View Post
    Cool card. Goblin Rabblemaster is 3 mana and fits the bill of not needing to use the graveyard. It's also a fast clock if left unchecked.
    +1

Had in my SB for a while, definately fits the bill.
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

Thread Information