Thread: Legacy Sundays - Cedar Falls, Iowa

Legacy Sundays - Cedar Falls, Iowa

Starting Sunday, March 1st, we will be playing legacy on Sundays at the Core in Cedar Falls, Iowa. 1pm. Cost will be $10 with legacy staples of equal value to the total entries received for prizes. The people attending will decide on which cards to play for.

I will be posting on here if there are any time changes or anything else to report. If you can or can't make it on a certain day and want to post it on here or message me that would be great. If it ends up that a different time/day works better for you let me know. We'll try to adjust so that the most people possible can play.

Spread the word to anyone interested. Send me any suggestions. If anyone needs a ride or needs to borrow a few cards I will try my best to accommodate. Lets have some fun playing the greatest format in magic!

Re: Legacy Sundays - Cedar Falls, Iowa

Also wanted to add, if anyone has info about Legacy anywhere else in Iowa feel free to post it on here. I try to make it to anything I can.

We usually have about 6 to 12 people here in Iowa City/Coralville, I'll pass the word along. So far, turnout for a monthly legacy event at one of our local stores has been poor (could be due to poor advertising, conflict with football/basketball games, etc). Maybe between our two communities we can get something going every other month?
    Looking for fbb duals (preferably German)
    -----------------------------------------------
    2nd place Gencon Vintage Champs 2009
    39th place GP Chicago 2009

That sounds like a good idea. When cedar rapids used to host legacy for duals it drew quite a few people. Obviously duals are more expensive now so that is less do-able. We were doing the legacy Sunday for staples before nfl started and played for various cards like scalding tarns, show and tells, wastelands, etc depending on how many showed up.

Working together to promote a semi monthly tournament (or monthly) in either Iowa city or CF would be great. Hopefully with more people we could have some nice prizes to build the player base. Send me a message if you have any more thoughts on this.

Sounds good, just sent you a pm.
    Looking for fbb duals (preferably German)
    -----------------------------------------------
    2nd place Gencon Vintage Champs 2009
    39th place GP Chicago 2009

Just wanted to add if anyone plans on coming to this on a particular week would like to request a specific card(s) to play for (within reason), let me know and I will try to make it happen.

Good luck this Sunday!

Down in Des Moines they have legacy twice a month. The first Sunday of the month at noon, $10 bucks, and 150% credit payout in prizes usually between 16 - 12 people with the good days having as many as ~28. Also the third Friday they have FNM legacy at 8 pm. Same cost and prize structure ($10 and 150% payout)

If I can find a free Sunday I will need to come up to Cedar Falls. Does Iowa City still have the legacy league? I always wanted to take part, but weeknights just aren't going to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Ask Obama for a Magic: The Gathering subsidy while being dressed in pajamas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    I don't get it, also how does that help me in Australia?

Here is a recap of this Sunday for anyone interested that is thinking of attending next time:

We had 9 players show up (despite a few last minute cancellations). With 9 decided to do 3 rounds cut to top 4. $10 each entry. Players decided on the following prizes:

1st: 1x Wasteland
    2nd: 1x Theros Thoughtseize and 1x Thalia

RUG Delver took it down with Belcher taking 2nd. It was a wildly different field from last time we played (before NFL started) and I expect it to continue to change. It was a lot of fun and I hope even more can make it next time.

We will continue next Sunday with more of the same (03/08, 1pm, $10). There will be a break on 03/15 as there is a 1k legacy event that I'll be driving to with some others from here in Shakopee, MN.

Also working with dakkon on trying to set up a once per month larger scale legacy event alternating between Cedar Falls and Iowa City.

Quote Originally Posted by cartothemax View Post
    Good luck this Sunday!

Down in Des Moines they have legacy twice a month. The first Sunday of the month at noon, $10 bucks, and 150% credit payout in prizes usually between 16 - 12 people with the good days having as many as ~28. Also the third Friday they have FNM legacy at 8 pm. Same cost and prize structure ($10 and 150% payout)

If I can find a free Sunday I will need to come up to Cedar Falls. Does Iowa City still have the legacy league? I always wanted to take part, but weeknights just aren't going to happen.
    Great to know about the Des Moines events as well!

Just a reminder to anyone showing up this sunday:

Don't forget to set your clock ahead 1 hour tonight for DST! I don't want anyone to show up an hour after we've started. They should probably have the spring forward time be 12:00pm on Monday so that work is shorter Instead.

Quick reminder: There will be no legacy on Sunday, March 15th. We will resume as usual March 22nd.

Last week Blue Omni split with Grixis Control.

Forgot about the prerelease going on Sunday, we will be waiting another week to resume next Sunday the 29th.

No Legacy on Sunday April 5th due to Easter holiday.

Anyone that is interested we are still playing legacy this Sunday at 1pm, $10. I am working with the Core on setting up an advertised legacy tournament some time in June, most likely prizes will be blue duals/staples. I'll post new info when I get it.

Thread Information