Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MTGO - Tempest Remastered

Dec 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

MTGO - Tempest Remastered

I just noticed http://magic.wizards.com/en/MTGO/art...red-2015-02-23 and haven't seen anyone here mention it.

Wasteland Remastered will probably have a fairly large impact on the metagame, more players and more Wasteland.dec.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: MTGO - Tempest Remastered

Wasteland went from ~113$ to 63$ since the announcement, but I expect them to rise soon again.

The main problem is that it's literally "Wasteland: The Cash Grab". The EV of this thing will blow hard:

Exodus has City of Traitors and nothing else.
    Stronghold has Ensnaring Bridge and Mox Diamond.
    Aside from Wasteland, Tempest offers Intuition, Grindstone and Humility as cards of value that are actually played.

The rest of the block is basically worthless shit. I doubt that many packs are going to be opened, especially with Wasteland being highly likely to be a mythic.

Site Contributor

Feb 2011

It may be because of silly reserved list stuff, but I really don't get why they don't do this for paper magic as well... I would love to play limited with these kind of sets. It's not even that I care about the prices of wasteland and mox diamond, but just to be able to play with a "best of" of these older sets sounds awesome. And not in the way like we have limited edition modern masters sets, but in the way we have plenty of stock like KTK. I mean, that limited edition shit is so retarded and lame. MM1 was one of the best draft sets I've played but the prices of it were insane. Now they do the same with MM2 but make it even more expensive :/. While MM2 is nice, despite its print size, the 'feel' I have for these sets is just so much more than for the stuff that comes out nowadays. Too bad about the new border, but I'd live with that if we'd ever get something similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Non games are not only a common sight in Legacy, they are every decks plan. [...] Playing a deck like DnT and then complaining about "Non games" is hypocritical, because non games are your plan, you just disapprove of the way someone else is trying to achieve that same goal.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by UseLess View Post
    It is because of silly reserved list stuff...
    Fixed for you.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Awesome! Looking forward to a metagame more like paper magic's where most everyone has access to wastelands. I expect Wasteland will drop below what it's at now during the prime time of pack opening, people loved the VMA drafts just because of what decks you could draft. I probably drafted that one 100 times, with like 70% UG madness. Drafting is better EV than just cracking packs since it's 2 tickets extra to have a chance at 8-4 or 4-3-2-2 prize pool. I got fully powered from just VMA drafts without adding in very much money (though I ditched like 3 Modern decks to fully fill out the rest of the vintage staples).

Quote Originally Posted by UseLess View Post
    Too bad about the new border, but I'd live with that if we'd ever get something similar.
    This is the best way to do it. New border is hated by most compared to the old one so the cards would have the same functionality without the same appeal. Onslaught fetches dropped some in price when they were reprinted in new border, but for the most part foil oldest set cards rarely drop by much.

Oct 2011
    Denmark

So not only are europeans cut off from using wasteland and ports on magic online.

Those of us that have them, will now see them drop dramatically.

Might be part of some illuminati agenda to screw us over.
    "Brainstorm and Fetchlands are interesting although I don't know if Brainstorms alone are worth it right now, because Stifle is a common card. " -Peddi 2015.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Phelix View Post
    So not only are europeans cut off from using wasteland and ports on magic online.

Those of us that have them, will now see them drop dramatically.

Might be part of some illuminati agenda to screw us over.
    Why are Europeans cut off Wastelands and Ports? I'm European and have a playset of both.

Wasteland dropped significantly, but I'm not too worried. It's a card high in demand with probably very little supply getting added for the reasons stated above.

The price of Ports are unaffected, since it's from Masques, not Tempest. If they ever do a promo/reprint, its value is going to get nuked into oblivion, though.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Why are Europeans cut off Wastelands and Ports? I'm European and have a playset of both.

Wasteland dropped significantly, but I'm not too worried. It's a card high in demand with probably very little supply getting added for the reasons stated above.

The price of Ports are unaffected, since it's from Masques, not Tempest. If they ever do a promo/reprint, its value is going to get nuked into oblivion, though.
    Europeans - and from what I hear US East Coasters as well - have been cut off from playing Legacy on Magic Online if they were foolish enough to prioritize employment over a stupid Daily Event schedule.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Europeans - and from what I hear US East Coasters as well - have been cut off from playing Legacy on Magic Online if they were foolish enough to prioritize employment over a stupid Daily Event schedule.
    Is a reschedule still "officially" considered ?

I'll add to Phelix' conspiracy theory that booster prices severely increased on FRF (even over 4 tickets) and increased noticeably for KTK with the new schedule. I guess legacy wasn't the only constructed format screwed up, and it looks like a political choice favouring limited events and making boosters most likely being bought at their store with the new prices than on the secondary market.
    CLICK HERE FOR THE RULES OF A VERY FUN MULTIPLAYER CASUAL FORMAT
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

An example with my (very large) list in a visual form

Mar 2007

The only thing that did increase was FRF boosters, which could be a demand thing.

KTK are still around 2.5 tix. I wouldn't put it past Wizards to favor Limited events for more gain, but is driving away players for that really a good choice?

Because I can't see alot of Legacy players suddenly starting to play Limited instead when they didn't play it before.

Edit: I've sent an E-mail to magiconlinefeedback@wizards.com regarding the schedule.

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

The only thing that did increase was FRF boosters, which could be a demand thing.

KTK are still around 2.5 tix. I wouldn't put it past Wizards to favor Limited events for more gain, but is driving away players for that really a good choice?

Because I can't see alot of Legacy players suddenly starting to play Limited instead when they didn't play it before.
    Ktk was between 2.2 and 2.3 before the new schedule, i was checking everyday. I sold several time at 2.66 recently. It seems logical that they don't increase more because a lot of people like me chose to stock ktk packs and sold them when it went up to 2.5. I also know several people with huge stocks still waiting so there is probably a constant flux of players losing patience and feeding the secondary market with ktk. That plus the fact that more events provide ktk / more ktks than frfs explain the difference in the increase ( frf went from 3.10-3.20 to 4.0X )
    Another point is wizards cares much more about getting dollars than getting tickets back. This is why you can only pay the 3.99$ packs or the commander decks and so on with your credit card and not tickets.
    If they have limited players playing instead of having legacy players play, with bigger attendance, and they get more $ specifically also, it's all win on their bottom line even long term.

The fact they lied giving bullshit reasons for the change tends to prove it's just business optimization.
    CLICK HERE FOR THE RULES OF A VERY FUN MULTIPLAYER CASUAL FORMAT
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

An example with my (very large) list in a visual form

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Lejay View Post
    Another point is wizards cares much more about getting dollars than getting tickets back. This is why you can only pay the 3.99$ packs or the commander decks and so on with your credit card and not tickets.
    If they have limited players playing instead of having legacy players play, with bigger attendance, and they get more $ specifically also, it's all win on their bottom line even long term.

The fact they lied giving bullshit reasons for the change tends to prove it's just business optimization.
    It certainly does make alot more sense with the context we've been given so far:

- tix are already sold and don't make Wizards money anymore
    - if the tweets from big bot chains are any indication, then there's a surplus of tix right now because alot of people are selling out
    - cutting down the number of DEs decreases supply of boosters (for tix) while increasing the number of Limited DEs increases their consumption
    - more people are forced to buy boosters from the shop, thus increasing Wizards' earnings with MODO

Given the timing of the change and Hasbro being royally pissed at the current financial performance of MTGO, it seems like a way to increase their profit, at least for a short term.

Since they couldn't make a good client even if their lives depended on it, I expect alot more milking (like Tempest Remastered) in the future.

Edit: I've sent an E-mail to magiconlinefeedback@wizards.com regarding the schedule.
    Looking strictly at your potential returns is it my impression or for your casual run-of-the-mill player playing in events, queues, etc is pointless, you are only doing it for the fun?

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

"Promoting" Wasteland to Mythic is so Hasbro.

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

For those that play MODO Wasteland Remastered Card Image Gallery
    http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles...ery-2015-03-30
    Wasteland is a rare; overall looks good if you want to build a Sliver deck.
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by lyracian View Post
    Wasteland is a rare
    Awesome, can't wait to pick these up and therefore instantly finish like 15 decks. Wasteland being so expensive makes for some really strange and inbred metagames online.

So let me get this straight, Shard Phoenix and Cursed Scroll were (smartly) put at Mythic and Forbid was bumped to Rare but Rolling Thunder, Evincar's Justice, and fucking Capsize are all at Uncommon. Cotdamn, Wizards cannot do balancing to save their lives. I would have nixed those cards entirely from the set for Limited balance purposes or bumped them to Mythic.

Also have to love Mox Diamond, a purely utility card, at Mythic. Stay greedy Wizards!

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Yep, people always find something to bitch about. Rule #47 of the internet.

Mar 2007

It's nice to see Wasteland at rare. Maybe they realized that nobody woul draft this PoS if the chance to get Wasteland was too low.

Considering that a Wasteland is generated by every ~ 20th player on average, that should increase the supply of Wastelands quite a bit. But then again, it's the bottleneck of the format right now, so demand is going to be skyhigh.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Jamaican Zombie Legend View Post
    but Rolling Thunder, Evincar's Justice, and fucking Capsize are all at Uncommon. Cotdamn, Wizards cannot do balancing to save their lives. I would have nixed those cards entirely from the set for Limited balance purposes or bumped them to Mythic.
    They were all commons originally, so Wizards does acknowledge your bitching to a certain degree, but I don't understand why you want them eliminated from the format. Do you even limited, bro?

Thread Information