Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: [DTK] Dragons of Tarkir spoiler thread

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

[DTK] Dragons of Tarkir spoiler thread

The spoiler season starts tomorrow, so it's time for a thread.

Click for spoiler overview

From the spoiled Maro article, we know that DTK is about allied color combinations.

The first card spoiled is irrelevant for Legacy.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Re: [DTK] Dragons of Tarkir spoiler thread

Allied color combinations sure makes it seem like we'll be seeing the Ice Age painlands in DTK or M16 (M16 is the last Core Set, right? Or was M15 the last one?).

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

M15 was the last "core set". This years' filler set before switching to the two-block model next year is Origins, which is basically a planeswalker circlejerk.

Since DTK and Origins are going to be their own "block", I could see some allied color support happening in those sets land-wise.

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    M15 was the last "core set". This years' filler set before switching to the two-block model next year is Origins, which is basically a planeswalker circlejerk.
    I guess it depends what marketing you read as to whether Origins is a "core set" or a "stand alone set".

Quote Originally Posted by http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/30827/m-tg-magic-origins-core-set
    Magic Origins is a new core set that reveals the origin stories of five iconic Planeswalkers: Gideon Jura, Jace Beleren, Liliana Vess, Chandra Nalaar, and Nissa Revane.
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

May 2013
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    The first card spoiled is irrelevant for Legacy.
    Basic lands will never be irrelevant!
    Current Legacy Decks: Elves, 12Post, Eldrazi Stompy, Burn, Reanimator, Death&Taxes

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Because God forbid Black get a decent board wipe or something, heh. How weirdly over-conditional.

"When this ETB, **IF** you didn't shenanigans it into play **AND** your opponent overextended, Duneblast."
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Because God forbid Black get a decent board wipe or something, heh. How weirdly over-conditional.

"When this ETB, **IF** you didn't shenanigans it into play **AND** your opponent overextended, Duneblast."
    Not just overextended . . . Massively overextend. . .

Imagine the feel bad if you have an empty board your opponent is staring you down with 4 creatures and you . . . top deck this.

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Not just overextended . . . Massively overextend. . .
    Imagine the feel bad if you have an empty board your opponent is staring you down with 4 creatures and you . . . top deck this.
    I believe it counts itself when it enters the battlefield so opponent having 4 creatures is what you want.
    This could happen with UB Control vs Mono-Red; of course living to have seven mana to cast the Dragon might be unlikely...
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Eh yeah I mean it will count itself and whatever you control too, so it isn't entirely on the opponent to control a bunch of dudes, but like why you gotta Wraff yourself too.

Also I guess probably Kaalia is a thing in EDH* and it's not great if she gets a 'before blockers' Wrath effect, or something. Guess Archfiend of Depravity will have to suffice.

It's weird because players tend to bitch about enablers, right - Emrakul isn't the problem, Show and Tell is the problem - and so the ways in which Wizards plays it safe is weird when the creature is already "enabler-proofed". It's like... big stupid beaters with Annihilator 7 and whatnot are disliked for being too good with cheatyface cards, but like anything that's clearly created to not work with cheatyface cards just end up schlocky like this weird dagron over here. There's no median! Poooooooooop

* - by which I mean, kids hate Kaalia because they have no idea how Magic works and she's just super unfair because she puts big guys into play and meanwhile some mono-green deck is like "...so turn 2 sacrifice Arbor Dryad to Natural Order for Vorinclex" and kids be "oh sweet" because hey it's Forests
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

opps - didn't see that it counted itself.

Also more cards up!! Rebound is back!

Exploit is pretty dumb as an ability - and Megamorph is even dumber. . . edit: and formidable is dumber still. . . .

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

Quote Originally Posted by lyracian View Post
    I believe it counts itself when it enters the battlefield so opponent having 4 creatures is what you want.
    This could happen with UB Control vs Mono-Red; of course living to have seven mana to cast the Dragon might be unlikely...
    The (unofficial) text on the spoiler says "five or more other creatures..."

Rebound (mechanic from Zendikar/Alara?) is back and in Jeskai.

A breakthrough in terms of getting ETB Demonic tutor effects. I believe Sidisi 2.0 can exploit itself to get the search trigger.

Steal your Jace/Liliana/Ugin?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

and Megamorph is even dumber...
    Megamorph seems fine as far as what it does, it is just an unnecessary stupid name. They could have left it as just 'morph' and added the text granting the counter.

I mean, why not use really ferocious instead of formidable? Doesn't WotC want new players to understand the two are related? How else will they know that?

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Megamorph seems fine as far as what it does, it is just an unnecessary stupid name. They could have left it as just 'morph' and added the text granting the counter.

I mean, why not use really ferocious instead of formidable?
    I mean that's why its so dumb . . . its completely unnecessary.

As for formidable . . . it's so ridiculously win more that I don't understand how it works as a whole mechanic.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

As for formidable . . . it's so ridiculously win more that I don't understand how it works as a whole mechanic.
    They needed a mechanic that encourages over-extending so the set promo is slightly better than worthless!

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

And then, the dumbest fucking thing to ever be printed in a TCG.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    And then, the dumbest fucking thing to ever be printed in a TCG.

I was digging around and I just found this art, must be for a new card in this set:

"The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I was digging around and I just found this art, must be for a new card in this set:
    Wrong art

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post

Well done, men. Pack it. Ship it. Sell it.

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Shawon View Post
    I believe Sidisi 2.0 can exploit itself to get the search trigger.
    Correct, as this particular use was described in one of the articles from the Mothership website. So yes, Exploit can be used on the creature itself with the keyword.

My assumption is that this means we will get a whole bunch of Black/maybe Blue/possibly Green creatures with Exploit (since Exploit seems to be coming from the Sultai clan) that essentially have classic Spells attached to their body -- which is 'powered up' if you can exploit a cheaper creature/token you already have, and can be especially powered-up if you have some method of recurring the ability via Flicker effects or similar.

It's not too far removed from Evoke as a mechanic, wherein a classic Spell happened to be linked to the body of a creature; the problem here is that it looks like you can't get the Spell effect at a reduced rate minus the body, as the only choice presented is whether you keep the Exploiting creature or end up tossing an alternative creature already on the battlefield. So for example, there's no way to get Demonic Tutor at a reduced rate here, instead you still have to pay a minimum of 5 mana, 4/6 deathtouch body or no.

As for any potential Legacy applications of this mechanic, I'm not so sure as it seems like more of a Limited (draft/sealed) type of mechanic that will probably be attached to higher costing creatures. However, a card like Bitterblossom is one method of feeding the mechanic without having to lose the attached creature with Exploit, so if there happens to be a particularly powerful effect attached to a powerful-enough body at a reasonable cost, this might be one method getting the best of both worlds without having to chuck your own precious Deathrite Shamans.

edit: Just based on looking at the two creatures spoiled here, perhaps in Limited Blue will have a lot of temporary Steal ("Control Magic-esque") effects, and then Black will have Exploit, wherein you end up sacrificing the opponent's temporarily stolen assets -- while this doesn't quite fuel your graveyard for Delve, it *does* provide a nasty/semi-clever method of removal in the Blue/Black realm. Not so sure if Green will inherit anything from 'Sultai', as it appears that they are limiting this set towards being Ally-colored... so anything 'clan' related will likely be in fractured terms.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    Well done, men. Pack it. Ship it. Sell it.
    There's an Easter egg in the rules article that shows you the developer notes for the mechanics. This is what it says:

D1: new morph mechanic, makes creatures BIGGER!!!1!!1

D2: need new name for this morph mechanic.

D1: how about MEGAMORPH!

D2: we need something that doesn't sound like a Pixar movie, any other ideas?

D3: guys, it doesn't matter what the hell we call it, people will just buy this shit.

D4: he's right, plus, think how funny it will be when people have to spend months on end saying megamorph and trying to pretend it doesn't make them sound like an idiot!
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Thread Information