Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: [DTK] Dragons of Tarkir spoiler thread

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Re: [DTK] Dragons of Tarkir spoiler thread

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    D4: he's right, plus, think how funny it will be when people have to spend months on end saying megamorph and trying to pretend it doesn't make them sound like an idiot!
    This is probably my favorite take on the matter, and it's the first one I went to. It reminds me a lot of Trey Parker and Matt Stone commenting on the gratuitous sex scene in Team America and how it gave them immense joy just to have MPAA repeatedly watch a variety of lewd and obscene acts performed by puppets.

Casters are going to have to seriously say "Megamorph" for the better part of the year thanks to some asshole with a brilliant sense of humor.

Apr 2011
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    D4: he's right, plus, think how funny it will be when people have to spend months on end saying megamorph and trying to pretend it doesn't make them sound like an idiot!
    You cast it as a simple morph, so you say "I cast a morph". When I flip morphs or then megamorphs most of the time I say "I flip this". (Well, maybe I should note that English is not my first language. ;) )

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    This is probably my favorite take on the matter, and it's the first one I went to. It reminds me a lot of Trey Parker and Matt Stone commenting on the gratuitous sex scene in Team America and how it gave them immense joy just to have MPAA repeatedly watch a variety of lewd and obscene acts performed by puppets.

Casters are going to have to seriously say "Megamorph" for the better part of the year thanks to some asshole with a brilliant sense of humor.
    I'm generally not one to complain about the game, because in the end, it really is a kids game, but man, it seems like lately they have really been phoning in a whole bunch of stuff. From art to mechanics too.

I get that everything can't be a home run, but some of this new stuff is worse than a check-swing dribbler where you pretend to come up with a pulled hamstring a quarter-way down the line...
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by joven View Post
    You cast it as a simple morph, so you say "I cast a morph". When I flip morphs or then megamorphs most of the time I say "I flip this". (Well, maybe I should note that English is not my first language. ;) )
    You may be wrong from a rules lawyer perspective... Morph and Megamorph are two different mechanics. If you play a megamorph creature face-down for 3 and say "I play a morph creature", are you technically providing your opponent with false information?

Edit: Also, is 'unmorphing' actually a thing? Or is it always just morph? The only thing better than megamorphing is unmegamorphing!

Nov 2014
    Italy

This gives me hope for a "SuperStorm" or "HipperThreshold" ability in the future)))
    Quote Originally Posted by clavio View Post
    Brainstorm is easy to play

Apr 2011
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    You may be wrong from a rules lawyer perspective... Morph and Megamorph are two different mechanics. If you play a megamorph creature face-down for 3 and say "I play a morph creature", are you technically providing your opponent with false information?

Edit: Also, is 'unmorphing' actually a thing? Or is it always just morph? The only thing better than megamorphing is unmegamorphing!
    Read the cards and/or the rules (e.g. Article 'Mechanics of Dragons of Tarkir' on DailyMTG). Megamorphs are cast as normal morphs and just get a +1/+1 when you turn them face-up by paying their Megamorph cost. You even use the normal Morph marker card.
    EDIT: I think they said it is intentional that you can't differentiate between a facedown morph and a facedown megamorph. And I think that makes sense, although morphs and megamorphs won't really meet in Limited.

And I don't think there is a thing called 'unmorphing'.

Apr 2011
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    This gives me hope for a "SuperStorm" or "HipperThreshold" ability in the future)))
    Funny, but I think you mean "HyperThreshold".

Quote Originally Posted by Shawon View Post
    A breakthrough in terms of getting ETB Demonic tutor effects. I believe Sidisi 2.0 can exploit itself to get the search trigger.
    Even chain with Rooftop Storm,...

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Megamorph is one of those names that feels like it came out of R&D testing some "morph with a twist" mechanic and were unable to come up with a better name than the test name. Here's hoping for more quality technology such as Kithkincycling, Hyperbuyback, Kickerer, Thrashold, Helldjent, and others!

Having said this, I do like the guy that flips into a 3/2 and counters target instant/sorc. He's not beast mode good, but I'd love to be able to play something like Fish in Standard, just to be That Effin Guy, and he's about on par with what I'd expect a 'nu-Fish' character to be. No I'm not saying he's Legacy-good, just that it appeals to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

The black creature demonic tutor seems good in food chain right ?
    and in commander maybe

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

I mean, it's not like Rune-Scarred Demon doesn't already exist. Slightly different mana costs, sure, but when you're getting into the realm of 5-7 mana I feel like some of the differences blur.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Exploit has potential, but the problem for its Legacy playability is that it most likely costs much more than the original spell, making it essentially unplayable in Legacy. I wouldn't say no a few nice GSZ targets.

That said, one thing that bothers me about the flavor: How can you exploit yourself?

On a different note:

I don't get the bitching about Megamorph.

It's clearly a story tie-in to Return to Zendikar, because after 10000 years, the Eldrazi broke free. And now Wizards tries to broaden their audience by recruiting teenagers with attitude.

How can you not love it when people scream "It's morphin time!" or "We need Megamorph power right now!" all the time in Draft?

Official DTK Theme

PS : This also confirms that Return to Zendikar is going to feature a variant of the level up mechanic since they can't pass up the chance for Standard to make people scream "Make my monster grow!".

Apr 2011
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Exploit has potential, but the problem for its Legacy playability is that it most likely costs much more than the original spell, making it essentially unplayable in Legacy. I wouldn't say no a few nice GSZ targets.

That said, one thing that bothers me about the flavor: How can you exploit yourself?
    I'd say your Dragonlord does that for you. ;)

Where is it written that Exploit is always meant that the creature with the Exploit ability is exploiting others. It could also imply exploitability.
    Also, you could sacrifice yourself for some cause or do something like overworking yourself, not taking care of yourself and just overly focusing on the task till you die.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    I mean, it's not like Rune-Scarred Demon doesn't already exist. Slightly different mana costs, sure, but when you're getting into the realm of 5-7 mana I feel like some of the differences blur.
    Yeah but Sidisi 2.0 can self-sacrifice, so you've got Johnny combo fest going on with, like, all kinds of shit. Athreos? Phyrexian Reclamation? Err... Nim Deathmantle? :/ Anything that can play with the graveyard and wouldn't mind some way to recur a tutor without also having to assemble a tertiary sacrifice outlet, I suppose. It turns any number of 3-card combos involving creature recursion into 2-card combos, and that is a good thing. (depending on who you ask)

I've seen RSD sparingly in stuff like ICBM Oath but that's Vintage, and for my part I've wanted to shave some off the top of RSD's casting cost in EDH in a lot of my 'less unfair' brews.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    There won't be any GSZ targets. Exploit will only be on blue and black cards because it's the Silumgar mechanic.

Also, there was already an opportunity to scream, "Make my monster grow!": Monstrosity, in Theros block. It's even in the same Standard as megamorph!

As for the mechanics:

Lots of derivative stuff here. Exploit feels like it's just an awkward way to word EtB effects so that other cards can care about it ("When a creature is exploited, do X"), but I don't see there being a ton of room for cards like that in two colors in this set - though there will likely be some at uncommon to act as draft build-arounds. Megamorph is a letdown, but I don't see where they could have taken regular morph that wouldn't have been confusing, wordy, gimmicky, or some combination of the above, and megamorph at least gets points for having a clean execution. Rebound coming back is interesting if for no other reason than the fact that the Jeskai/Ojutai are the only clan to not get a fresh keyword at some point in the block. They said they specifically avoided doing that for the Ravnica guilds in RtR because players would be mad if their guild got shafted with a returning instead of a new keyword, so I wonder what changed their math here. Rebound is still fine; one of my favorite draft decks of all time was a Grixis Control deck from Rise that made great use of rebound removal spells, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with it here. Formidable is so whatever I had to look up the card to even remember what the mechanic is named, but in that respect it's a good follow-up to ferocious, so at least they're consistent.

Bolster and dash are known quantities.

None of the cards spoiled today are realistically Legacy-playable, although Dragonlord Silumgar might make a splash in Standard control builds that have ways to protect him from all the removal floating around right now. Also - amusingly - if you zoom in on the art, Silumgar appears to be wearing a now-mummified Tasigur as a necklace.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    Also - amusingly - if you zoom in on the art, Silumgar appears to be wearing a now-mummified Tasigur as a necklace.
    This is awesome.

As for the RtR guild things, they probably backed down since their mechanics were extremely subpar compared what the original Ravnica had to offer. Plus, people were pretty pissed that some of the guild mechanics worked poorly with the original mechanic.

I would take good cards with reused mechanics over new crap that's horrible every day.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

I think Stratus Dancer will see play in UWx control (not miracles.) Even if it's a bit slow, card advantage and evasiveness are great, and SFM neutralizes the problems of having the front side of it be just a 2/2. Not to mention that your stapled-counterspell is very difficult to counter. Could this be the first legacy playable morph creature?

I'd note that having what is essentially a mediocre mid-range beater that happens to have legs against late-game combo is pretty sweet. Seems good against Miracles and I'd relate it to blue's Aven Mindcensor (I.E. not the most standout card out there, but an evasive generalist mid-range guy)

I guess the main argument against him is that's probably Clique's spot, and Clique is likely to be better. Anyway, I could see myself trying it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Quote Originally Posted by tescrin View Post
    I think Stratus Dancer will see play in UWx control (not miracles.) Even if it's a bit slow, card advantage and evasiveness are great, and SFM neutralizes the problems of having the front side of it be just a 2/2. Not to mention that your stapled-counterspell is very difficult to counter. Could this be the first legacy playable morph creature?
    Exalted Angel was playable once upon a time.

Also, this guy just flips up into an Insectile Aberration, which isn't great when you could run Delver and have that body turns earlier. I don't think a better Spell Pierce is necessarily worth having a three-mana 2/2 body that you probably can't play until turn five.

Mar 2007

I agree with Aggro_zombies.

5 mana for a mere Delver isn't that great. As for the CA, we already have enough cards in Legacy that cost 3 mana max to generate one-time card advantage. 5 mana just doesn't cut it.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

I'm actually fundamentally disappointed Megmorph wasn't

Ultramorph X - Cost (You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for 3. Turn it face up any time for its ultramorph cost and put X +1/+1 counters on it.)

Still would have been stupid - but would have, at least, much more design space.

Thread Information