Thread: [Tiny Leaders] Tymaret, the Murder King

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

[Tiny Leaders] Tymaret, the Murder King

So, my playgroup is looking to get into playing Tiny Leaders. First deck I'm making is Ezuri, which I will be cribbing Aggro_zombies' list, since it looks pretty much exactly like what I want out of it (funnily enough, the hardest card for me to find was an Elvish Mystic)

My second deck I was contemplating a Tymaret, the Murder King, because I happen to own a foil and also because it entertains me to try to win with bad cards.

From what I can tell, the deck is going to be very mana hungry, so I am looking at going for 20 lands.

What I am aiming for is a deck that can answer early threats, make land drops, then start looping Tymaret with Gravecrawler so something similar to grind out a win. I'm not trying to make this a tier one deck, just something somewhat competitive.

Tymaret, the Murder King
    Bloodghast
    Blood Artist
    Gravecrawler
    Shambling Remains
    Epochrasite
    Geralf's Messenger
    Pyre Zombie
    Nether Shadow
    Grim Haruspex
    Reassembling Skeleton
    Dark Confidant
    Carrion Feeder
    Bloodsoaked Champion
    Vampire Nighthawk

Attrition
    Unearth
    Phyrexian Arena
    Entomb

Hymn to Tourach
    Thoughtseize
    Rakdos's Return

Innocent Blood
    Terminate
    Dreadbore
    Lightning Bolt
    Chain Lightning
    Hero's Downfall
    Chaos Warp
    Shattering Spree

I'll work out the lands once I have a better idea all the cards, but I own all the duals so it won't be much of an issue.

One problem I am seeing is too much reliance on the graveyard. Thinking of cutting Bloodsoaked Champion and possibly Skeleton, but for what, I don't know, probably at least a Liliana of the Veil. Probably should have a Viscera Seer in there too, more protection against StP on Gravecrawler.

Ideas? Looks horrible?
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Re: [Tiny Leaders] Tymaret, the Murder King

How about Goblin Bombardment somewhere in there? You can use the 2 mana you'd spend on the Tymaret activation to grow your Gravecrawler back twice and net 3 damage instead of 2.

This may be kind of crazy, and it's definitely mana intensive...but Goblin Sharpshooter could be fun. Ping, sac a dude to Tymaret, ping again. It's at the very least useful vs. the Ezuri deck you mentioned.

If you want to get away from so much graveyard dependence, maybe Mogg War Marshal is your man? It's sort of relevant with Unearth too since you'd be effectively getting 3 sacrifices back. There's always Bitterblossom too.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Good suggestions, I think I will run a Bitterblossom over the Champion and a Liliana over a Nether Shadow.

I think I will get Sharpshooter in the sideboard. One card I totally forgot was Black Sun's Zenith. Not sure what to cut for it though, I think Epochrasite though.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Good suggestions, I think I will run a Bitterblossom over the Champion and a Liliana over a Nether Shadow.

I think I will get Sharpshooter in the sideboard. One card I totally forgot was Black Sun's Zenith. Not sure what to cut for it though, I think Epochrasite though.
    Yeah, Epochrasite seems like your weakest dude. Maybe run Toxic Deluge over the Zenith? It's a little easier to cast, and potentially hits bigger creatures sooner than Zenith does.

I definitely support getting Liliana in there, the card seems fantastic in the format.

Some other thoughts after giving your list a second look:

Thoughtsieze is good, but isn't Inquisition of Kozilek the same thing without the 2 life payment?

Did you consider Smother at all? It unconditionally removes almost any creature that could be played in the format.

Rakdos's Return is cute, but wouldn't something like Bonfire of the Damned ultimately be more useful? It's a second "wrath" while also giving you some additional reach if your graveyard gets eaten at a bad time.

Nether Shadow is great from a nostalgia perspective, but how often will it realistically trigger? Is it's "modern" replacement Nether Traitor better?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

More good points, I actually thought I had Inquisition in there, but I think I left it off by accident.

I worry about Bonfire in the opening hand, since this is a 50 card format. Maybe it's still ok though, I'm not sure. Deluge seems good though, probably better than Zenith.

On further review, I think Attrition is probably too cute. It is great with Grave Pact, but since that isn't legal and it really isn't very good without a recurring creature, I think it would just be a win-more card. If I can recur, I'm probably winning.

Also, you're probably right on Smother. There are only 6 legal Planeswalkers in the format, so Hero's Downfall is probably not needed.

I think Shadow would never really trigger, Traitor is possible, but it just seems so mana-intensive.

I need to really get the deck built and played to get a better idea. For now, I think maybe taking out the Attrition and Rakdos's Return, maybe for an Inquisition and a Bonfire.

Shattering Spree should almost certainly be in the board, perhaps Smother there or in place of Downfall. That would allow Zenith in the main with the Deluge, or I could run Zenith in the board.

Thread Information