Thread: [Hypothetical] Fair Phyrexian Mana Brainstorm

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

[Hypothetical] Fair Phyrexian Mana Brainstorm

This post got me thinking:
    Quote Originally Posted by T-101 View Post
    Phyrexian Brainstorm in the last core set plz.
    Now, this is purely hypothetical, but think of it as an interesting thought experiment. What would Phyrexian Brainstorm need to cost to be good but not broken? Is there any way to make it playable but not format-warping or format-breaking?

(Side question: Is there no symbol for phyrexian mana, like and and ?)

Is there any way to cost a Phyrexian Brainstorm so that it's played in some decks, but not every deck, or even every blue deck? Where would the power level be compared to Ponder in the blue decks?

At :pb:, Phyrexian Brainstorm is clearly much, much better than Brainstorm. This won't work.
    At {pu} I suspect Phyrexian Brainstorm would see play in EVERY deck.
    At {pu}{pu} would this see play in any blue decks, all of the blue decks, or none of the blue decks?
    I think {pu}{pu} and {pu}{pu} is probably too expensive to see play in anything.

What about a Phyrexian Ponder? At {pu}, it wouldn't be played in any blue deck, but would probably have to be played in every non-blue deck. Is there a good cost for Phyrexian Ponder the would make it playable in some, but not all non-blue decks?

This exercise makes me appreciate the design of Gitaxian Probe and Dismember.
    InfoNinjas

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Re: [Hypothetical] Fair Phyrexian Mana Brainstorm

Whatever it costs, you have to ban Brainstorm if this is printed or else the format will be really stupid.

Any Phyrexian Mana Brainstorm will either be unplayable or in every Legacy list.

Do you really want to go through the thought exercise of what constitutes unplayable or omnipresent? Think about it.

Banned
    Nov 2005
    Sigil, Center of the Planes - Italian district

It could be the Brainstorm for the other decks. The new phyrexian mana cards could be colorshifted and have a clause preventing them not to be played with given colors, something like:

"Play ~ only if lands you control cannot produce blue mana."

May 2008
    Milwaukee, WI

1 + phyrexian green + phyrexian black
    Instant
    Draw three, put two back on top.
    You may only cast this spell if you do not control any lands which could produce

I think the real solution is to print a card which cannot be played in conjunction with blue spells.

EDIT: I totally had this idea without even reading the post above me. I've long wondering if preventing certain cards being played with specific colors is a worthwhile design space for Wizards.
    Playing Punishing Regular Miracles.

Contribute to the community Miracles Primer.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

2ph i guess. I THINK phph could not be broken because 4 life are actually a steep commitment, and U+ 2 life for a brainstorm sounds actually fair. Any deck running that would be extremely vulnerable to burn for example.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Why should every deck be forced into running Brainstorm effects?

I echo FoolofaTook's statement: This is a terrible idea either way. You would have to use really bad designs to prevent blue decks from running it, too.

Plus, Gitaxian Probe is terrible, terrible Magic card that significantly lowers the skill ceiling of the game for a laughable resource investment.

Oct 2011
    Denmark

Have it cost 9 phyrexian mana, only castable w. colorless mana.

Fixed. 18 life.
    "Brainstorm and Fetchlands are interesting although I don't know if Brainstorms alone are worth it right now, because Stifle is a common card. " -Peddi 2015.

In order for this thread to have a meaningful discussion, you have to ban fetchland from all the formats. Then, you can have whatever stupid storm you want.

Thread Information