Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [EDH] Talrand, Sky Summoner

Re: [EDH] Talrand, Sky Summoner

Jin-Gitaxias and Tidespout Tirant could be substituted for Blighsteel Colossus only? Colossus has synergy with time magic, doesn't shuffle our graveyard and free one slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Zzz678 View Post
    Jin-Gitaxias and Tidespout Tirant could be substituted for Blighsteel Colossus only? Colossus has synergy with time magic, doesn't shuffle our graveyard and free one slot.
    I think if you're still running Proteus Staff, Blightsteel Colossus is fine. If you manage to take an extra turn, you can probably put a player out of the game. I cut both Jin-Gitaxias and Tyrant so I could take out Staff as well. The more I play, the more it's apparent that Talrand can pretty much do it on his own. Sure, you only have one "win-condition" but through counterspells, bounce to protect him, and the fact that he can simply be recast makes it the only win condition that you want. If the other players can consistently keep Talrand off the board, I'm probably not winning the game anyway and the scenarios where some other giant creature is going to get me there are few and far between.

I've been trying to focus on streamlining the deck to bring the average CMC down as much as possible. I think we want to be a highly flexible permission deck with the ability to chain turns together for the win. The best thing we can do is get Talrand down early with protection and it's important to focus on doing that. The only cards I'm really willing to add that don't work with Talrand are cards that draw an absurd number of cards because of how the deck functions (Alhammarrett's Archive), highly disruptive lock pieces (Back to Basics, maybe Torpor Orb), and ramp that's either too good not to include or has multiple functions like Gauntlet/Sun.

It will be fun to test Alhammarret's Archive with Aetherflux Reservoir... If you chains 5 spells, you draw 10 cards and kill an opponent, right?

Martha D. Paulk

The EDH format doesn't have many decks that could be described as "Draw, Go" but commander might fit the bill (depending on your build). Let's take a look at Talrand's card

Anybody is still playing Talrand? Baumeister?

I switched from Talrand to Baral High Tide, because the more competitive the meta got around me, the less i wanted to rely on the commander himself to win. I loved the Deck and played it for many years, but for now i am giving my Drake Army a rest.

Thread Information