Thread: [Podcast] The Brainstorm Show episode 3

[Podcast] The Brainstorm Show episode 3

Hey guys, check out episode 3 of our podcast on our website! thebrainstormshow.com

In this episode we discuss some of the under-appreciated and disliked decks and Legacy. Phil is on vacation at a nude beach somewhere, so it's just Paul and me for this one. The next one will have Phil back on, and we will get back to a more detailed, competitive discussion and will likely cover Miracles.

Thanks for listening!

Re: [Podcast] The Brainstorm Show episode 3

Quote Originally Posted by Patrunkenphat7 View Post
    Hey guys, check out episode 3 of our podcast on our website! thebrainstormshow.com

In this episode we discuss some of the under-appreciated and disliked decks and Legacy. Phil is on vacation at a nude beach somewhere, so it's just Paul and me for this one. The next one will have Phil back on, and we will get back to a more detailed, competitive discussion and will likely cover Miracles.

Thanks for listening!
    Go here for the latest episode and subscribe via iTunes or use our RSS feed. Thanks for listening and for giving your feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrunkenphat7 View Post

Thanks for listening!
    very enjoyable, thanks

Solid. Made my workout more enjoyable than it usually is.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Enjoyed the show, and it's good to see fringe decks getting some love. My only criticism is that it was clear which decks you had experience playing and which you didn't. I know that a lot of those decks don't have marquee players, but I think the discussion of some of the decks (Enchantress stuck out to me) would've really benefited from having an experienced voice in the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by btm10 View Post
    Enjoyed the show, and it's good to see fringe decks getting some love. My only criticism is that it was clear which decks you had experience playing and which you didn't. I know that a lot of those decks don't have marquee players, but I think the discussion of some of the decks (Enchantress stuck out to me) would've really benefited from having an experienced voice in the discussion.
    Thanks for your feedback. You're right, we don't have experience playing all of the decks. We are only on our 3rd show and don't know a ton of people who are experienced with the more fringe decks in this episode. Factor in the complication of getting these people on our Skype call and recording with us, and you can imagine why it might not be the most practical decision to have an Enchantress player come in just to talk about a single deck. While we would love to have experts on the show to discuss every topic we cover, in reality that becomes impractical. Mostly we were just trying to have fun and shed some light on the decks that rarely get any love. Thanks for listening and keep the feedback coming.

lol jeez I have so many of these jank decks and I play them regularly with decent to great success -- belcher, oops!, cheerios, Pox, Burn, Enchantress, 12 post, Goblin Stompy.

A little bit of history for creature types in stompy...I got the idea to include Moggcatcher in stompy due to Richard Felman's Trinity Rock (using poacher+hermit) found here: http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/Mag.../gpcol07/blog2

Oh and for the 3 narcos in all spells... 3 narc 2 bridge is better than 4 narco 1 bridge because you can chrome mox a bridge for a black source. If you have a narco in your hand you flashback therapy to get 2 zombies which gives you enough creatures for dread return.

Quote Originally Posted by Blastoderm View Post
    lol jeez I have so many of these jank decks and I play them regularly with decent to great success -- belcher, oops!, cheerios, Pox, Burn, Enchantress, 12 post, Goblin Stompy.

A little bit of history for creature types in stompy...I got the idea to include Moggcatcher in stompy due to Richard Felman's Trinity Rock (using poacher+hermit) found here: http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/Mag.../gpcol07/blog2

Oh and for the 3 narcos in all spells... 3 narc 2 bridge is better than 4 narco 1 bridge because you can chrome mox a bridge for a black source. If you have a narco in your hand you flashback therapy to get 2 zombies which gives you enough creatures for dread return.
    Thanks for the insight on Oops! I didn't really know what the reason is, so it's great to hear an explanation.

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Just finished listening to this episode. A couple of general points:

1) Great to have another legacy centric podcast out there. I think you are hitting a nice niche between catering for the experienced and also not making the less experienced players feel unwelcome which is a bit of a trick to get right imo.

2) I personally love the one hour+ run time. I love a long, meaty... erm... podcast! So by all means keep 'em coming like this.

3) I'd probably prefer a bit less tomfoolery than what was the case during episode#2. Dick and fart jokes can be great and all, but it's a bit tiresome when it's happening "off camera" so to speak, like one of you writing stuff to the other to tilt them without the audience being privy to it.

Episode #3 specific:

I think this was just a great topic. I've been listening to a lot of legacy podcast during this past year or two and while I'll never get tired of listening to fellow legacy enthusiasts I did think nearly everything had been covered already. This seemed like a new topic and a quite interesting one at that.

I especially liked your musings on MUD which has my particular interest. It's definitely my favorite deck to hate. I've played storm as my main legacy deck for a few years and I've had to take breaks from bringing it to my LGS legacy weekly as I would sometimes just go on full tilt getting paired up against the same MUD guy three weeks in a row. I find it interesting to contrast it to Vintage MUD because, like you mention, the Legacy version is a pretty decent port and I started wondering a bit more about why it isn't more popular (and/or a better deck) in Legacy - not having Workshops aside.

Some people argue it's because it's too play/draw dependant and while I think it's obviously a deck that gets a huge boost from being on the play I kind of think that isn't the main reason. I guess I feel like it's more about there being too many strong legacy decks that actually doesn't insta-fold to chalice@1. Thalia/Wasteland decks for one, but also any kind of BUG deck, really. Yes you can get screwed over by a chalice@1 on the draw with BUG. But give me a deck with Abrupt Decay AND Force of Will in the main and I'll happily play against MUD any time.

But anyway, I think this is what leads to it being so hated. We are coaxed into this false sense of "what are [i]real[/] legacy decks". Here we find the midrange anonymity of delver-land but also storm, show and tell and elves, death and taxes and miracles (and others I'm forgetting). So basically, like you guys said it, we don't deign it necessary to construct our 75 to be able to beat MUD because we come across it so relatively rearely. And so, when we do end up facing it and just get blown out of the water we get upset. I know I curse every time I face that deck with storm. If MUD was much more common deck to face, a la Workshops in Vintage, I'd definitely have my build of storm reflect that, but as it is now, the deck just bobs along somewhere and you only face it so often that it doesn't feel worthwhile... until it crushes you, of course
    You can follow me on Twitter at: www.twitter.com/MartinFSNielsen

Thread Information