Thread: [Article]Eternal Europe: Joining the Company

[Article]Eternal Europe: Joining the Company

After the general overview last time, I didn't manage to get one particular card out of my system:

http://www.starcitygames.com/article...e-Company.html

Enjoy :)
    I don't have low self-esteem, I have low esteem for everyone else. -Daria

Proud member of Team CAB
    High Priest of the Church of BLA

CAB JaceTM

My articles

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Re: [Article]Eternal Europe: Joining the Company

Man, with a title like that I thought you'd joined WOTC and wouldn't be able to write anymore. Momentary panic.

Green is by far my favorite color in Magic. Collected Company is a cool card, but 4cc kind of dooms it for this format. In the Junk list, you've slotted it in the Green Sun's Zenith spot, but I think flexibility trumps the card advantage in most matchups. The appeal of Green Sun's Zenith is that it's land when you need land and a creature when you need a creature, and it works with singletons, which saves space in your deck. The flexibility of the mana cost is also important, allowing you to play around Counterbalance or Chalice of the Void and playing nicely with Dark Confidant. I don't want Collected Company in a deck with Dark Confidant unless that's the only card with high converted mana cost (unlikely, because the best way to benefit from Collected Company in a midrange deck is probably two 3cc creatures). I like the idea of Eternal Witness and this card, but the mana cost is prohibitive, so we're getting to the "great in a Nic Fit shell" issue (Nic Fit is the new Stax).

In the Maverick list, I think the card would work really well with Stoneforge Mystic -- it would be amazing to hit two Stoneforges on the opponent's end step and then put in a Batterskull and a Jitte on your turn -- so I would make cuts somewhere else.

The best part of Fact or Fiction was being able to construct a deck that abused the graveyard so that you benefited from both piles of Fact or Fiction. Same thing for Gifts Ungiven piles. With Collected Company, you have to put the other cards on the bottom of your library, which is a difficult zone to exploit. Maybe you could use the card with Grenzo, Dungeon Warden, but that would make the deck three colors already.

I think if Collected Company is playable in Legacy, it's probably in a combo deck. If it grabbed creatures at 4cc or less, I could see it being playable in All Spells as Rogues 9-12, but the whiff rate is probably too high with Undercity Informer as the only target you'd want to hit.

Your Modern lists look pretty decent, and I think Collected Company will be a fun card in Cube.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Agree with @ESG - its playable in Legacy, but I would be more focus on midrange creature deck with combo finish.

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...ny-and-Friends

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    Agree with @ESG - its playable in Legacy, but I would be more focus on midrange creature deck with combo finish.

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...ny-and-Friends
    It's the second coming of Ranger of Eos if you ask me. If this card finds home I can imagine it to be either in something like Aluren or creature-based ramp like Scapeshift
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Just going to put this out there.

Legacy spells that cost 4 mana need either

a) a dedicated mana supply for high cost spells such as Tezz or Chalice engines

b) it does not have to win the game outright, but must provide a direct route to victory in short order.

So, this is the kind of advice I give to noobs trying to figure out how to build a Legacy deck for the first time. I would not dream of mindlessly spitting this at you, Carsten, but we should at least acknowledge the fact that this is a format for which there is a consistency barrier to cards like Fact or Fiction, Gifts Ungiven, Wrath of God, and similar card advantage items. You lose something when you build your mana base to accommodate these expensive spells. For that reason, I like your Mav list much more because it acknowledges this big deal.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Thread Information