Thread: [EDH] Scion of the Ur-Dragon (Ability/Combo Question)

[EDH] Scion of the Ur-Dragon (Ability/Combo Question)

Haven't yet found this on the forum, so I apologize if it's a similar question to one from before, but my question is this: So if I activate Scion's ability by paying {2} and searching my deck for Atarka, World Render and then discarding it to make Scion a copy of it before I declare my attackers, am I allowed to activate his ability again in response to the first, thus using the stack? By this, I mean can I make him a copy of Atarka, World Render, then respond by paying {2} and searching for and discarding Shivan Dragon and then paying as much red mana as possible to make Scion a +X/+4 until end of turn, and then respond to this by paying {2} and searching for and discarding Wardscale Dragon, letting all of these resolve in order so that ultimately I have a +X/+4 double strike dragon (commander damage) that when it is attacking defending player can't cast spells? Or would this result in something completely different? If so, how could I achieve this combo, or at least most of it?
    Thank you all in advance!
    Any other useful combos with this idea would be helpful too!

Mar 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden

Re: [EDH] Scion of the Ur-Dragon (Ability/Combo Question)

You can put the ability on the stack multiple times, but ultimately he ends up as the last dragon you discard. You can respond with firebreathing to make him bigger, but he can't be two different dragons at once.

Some people use moltensteel dragon and skithiryx with an approach similar to yours. Putting two instances of searching for dragons on the stack, the first one fetching moltensteel so they can pay life for the firebreathing (preferably activating it six times), and the second one to get skithiryx, who now gets +6/+0 until end of turn, thus swinging for lethal infect.

Hopefully someone can provide exact rulings but I'm in my bed and just woke x)

Okay, so if I have this correct, I am able to search for, let's say, Moltensteel Dragon or Shivan Dragon to activate firebreathing and then in response search for Atarka, World Render (or even the Skithiryx you mentioned), giving me a +X/+4 double strike (or +X/+4 infect) that deals commander damage (or poison counters)?

Quote Originally Posted by Dezastru View Post
    Okay, so if I have this correct, I am able to search for, let's say, Moltensteel Dragon or Shivan Dragon to activate firebreathing and then in response search for Atarka, World Render (or even the Skithiryx you mentioned), giving me a +X/+4 double strike (or +X/+4 infect) that deals commander damage (or poison counters)?
    Yes, this works
    You have to activate the ability as many times as you plan to search before you even perform the first search, as once a dragon has been sent to the graveyard Scion has transformed and doesn't have its copy ability anymore.

So you go
    - Activate Scion twice without passing priority
    - First activation resolves
    - Search for a firebreathing dragon
    - Activate the firebreathing ability as many times as you want
    - Let the second scion activation resolve
    - Find Atarka/Skithiryx/etc

It isn't possible for Scion to become 2 dragons at once, so the Atarka/Wardscale thing doesn't work

I'm not sure why you keep saying +X/+4, as there is nothing in this sequence that adds toughness

Thread Information