Page 44 of 74 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer] +Manaless Dredge+

Re: [Primer] +Manaless Dredge+

Indeed i felt that FoW is not necesary as a main card. The decks wins almost every 1st game.
    Last night i had a small tournament (8 bodies) and faced not 1, not 2 but 3 deathrite shaman game 1!
    The deck took its time but finaly raced them.

One thing i noticed was that i always wnated chancellor x 4 each game. Even postboard. I faced BUG, Reanimator and deadguy (with leyline game 2 and 3, )

Iīm not sure if this is correct. i always cut 1 shambling, 1 return, 1 phantasmagorian, 1 proggy (if it wasnt show and tell, otheriwse i cut shadow).

My list was like echelonīs one but with chacellor instead of probes.

And side was:

4 Unmask
    4 Blue trap
    2 contagion
    2 black shoal
    3 macabre

Another thing i felt was that i wish i had Fow in the side; to be reactive.
    For example, in the deadguy 2nd match i went for un mas expecting rip. When we started the game i had unmask in the opening but i hesitate aboiut playing it beacuase probably rip would not have been in my opo hand in that moment. I wandered: Is this the right moment for casting unmaask?
    Just a feeling

On black shoal: the only mutch up i felt i was over contagion was when i wondered: "Could i have killed that elesh norn if i would have sideboard shoal in?"

Quote Originally Posted by Atreyu View Post
    Are you suggesting to replace the Shoals with the Mindbreak Traps?
    Not specifically, no.
    If you're keen on FoW I suggest you try out all sorts of side options, see what is useful for you.
    I play against a lot of white decks myself, so RiP is expected in these MU's. I hardly ever see Cage anymore.... anyone else find this too?

Magic Player

Jul 2011
    Boston

I think we need chancellor as we have so few ways to "interact" with our opponents. It makes them play our game by forcing them to trade it for a card or resource, as it functions like a timewalk. It's always better on the play and it comes out for force of will in most matchups. But it's very good at what it does with all the Deathrites running around. I should be on a mix of 75 at scg Worcester so keep up the discussion. How has the Mindbreak trap been working out for people?

Probe over Chancellor has always been a mistake without FOW MD, and I don't even think FOW MD is the best choice so there's really no reason to play Probe.

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by WarpWorld View Post
    How has the Mindbreak trap been working out for people?
    The only time I managed to cast one was when I wasn't on Manaless. The times I did board it in I simply didn't have it or my opponent had the discard beforehand. Having said that, I would still never make a Manaless SB without a full set. It's a very high reward card if you do manage to pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    Probe over Chancellor has always been a mistake without FOW MD, and I don't even think FOW MD is the best choice so there's really no reason to play Probe.
    That sounds like a bit of an epiphany. I guess I'll have to try it out the next time I get to play MtG. MD Chancellors over Probes.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalrywolfpack View Post
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    That sounds like a bit of an epiphany.
    Agreed! Probe has always been my default choice.
    DDD / Death & Taxes

Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by easysantiago View Post
    Agreed! Probe has always been my default choice.
    Has been so for me as well. Looking forward to testing this.
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Quote Originally Posted by WarpWorld View Post
    I think we need chancellor as we have so few ways to "interact" with our opponents.
    So...you wouldnt side it out?

Magic Player

Jul 2011
    Boston

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenCid View Post
    So...you wouldnt side it out?
    I do board them out. I also think that it is subjective. I play FoW irl but not online(for the most part) and I board differently when not playing a blue board. IRL I tend to board them out for FoWs. I also tend to board them out more if I am on the draw in post board games vs. keeping them in on the play. This I also think can be match up dependent. I think that it is at its strongest when we get put on the play as it effectively steals back the draw for us.

I have been doing a lot of testing lately with and with out FoW. I haven't tested a probeless list yet but I will. I do think we want to maximize on 'free' cycling effects to be as explosive as possible. I will say that when blue count doesn't matter it is an easy board out or trim. This deck grinds well.

On sideboarding in general I like trimming numbers and sometimes I cut the combo or go down to 1 spy. I find I win most of my games, even game 1's though combat damage.

I will try and take good notes this weekend and hopefully have a good report for the horde.

"FEAR THE HOARD!"

Dec 2013

Good luck! Looking forward to the report!
    DAMMIT ECHELON

IDK in what world people resolve Probe in a deck that is 100% on the draw vs Force of Will and Daze, on average I had slower TTK with Probe than without it because I would get Time Walked by counters and it was a spell instead of a minion for Nether Shadow. I eventually stopped casting it before Cabal Therapy, and then just took it out of the deck altogether. There is no deck in the format that Probe is going to speed you up enough against in order to race them to a combo finish except Elves, so you need to concentrate on beating the decks that you are actually designed to beat and not dropping games to Deathrite Shaman for no good reason.

You aren't winning games because you're playing Probe, but you are losing games because you aren't playing Chancellor. We play this deck because they can't interact with us on the stack, why would you make their counters relevant?

Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    IDK in what world people resolve Probe in a deck that is 100% on the draw vs Force of Will and Daze, on average I had slower TTK with Probe than without it because I would get Time Walked by counters and it was a spell instead of a minion for Nether Shadow. I eventually stopped casting it before Cabal Therapy, and then just took it out of the deck altogether. There is no deck in the format that Probe is going to speed you up enough against in order to race them to a combo finish except Elves, so you need to concentrate on beating the decks that you are actually designed to beat and not dropping games to Deathrite Shaman for no good reason.

You aren't winning games because you're playing Probe, but you are losing games because you aren't playing Chancellor. We play this deck because they can't interact with us on the stack, why would you make their counters relevant?
    Relax buddy, the board is agreeing with you. Us troglodytes have caught up.
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Hey guys, great thread here! Just dusted off my manaless dredge deck i built 3 years ago before amalgam was printed. Man it was ugly with dryad arbors and grislebrands. After reading all the threads, goldfishing for a week, and scouring all the mtgtop8 decklists from last year Ive decided on the blue deck with riders instead of spys. Im not a huge fan of the FoW maindeck, but its necessary to have open up your sideboard slots and have some answers to g1 hate. This deck is so tight its hard to decide on 3rd shadow, 4th chancellor, 4th probe, 4th FoW, 4th amalgym. I even considered cutting 1 phanta to get the 3rd shadow in the deck without hosing the blue count for FoW game 1. I would even consider running 61 cards in this deck but with only 12 delvers I dont think thats a possibility. I could see 61 from a spy deck that has a couple extra shambling shells in it. In the end im running DTE / Julians version with 4th amalgam over 4th probe.

4 Golgari Grave-Troll
    4 Stinkweed Imp
    4 Golgari Thug

4 Ichorid
    4 Narcomoeba
    4 Prized Amalgam
    2 Nether Shadow

2 Whirlpool Rider
    1 Flayer of the Hatebound

4 Chancellor of the Annex
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Force of Will

4 Dread Return
    4 Bridge from Below

4 Phantasmagorian
    3 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Street Wraith

Im still considering moving 1 chancellor to the side for the 3rd shadow but this current build gives me the most sideboard flexibility. Here are the questions I have about sideboard construction.

3 vs 4 Disrupting Shoal?
    2 vs 3 Vengful Pharaoh?
    Macabre vs Unmask vs Surgical?
    Ashen rider worth a spot?
    1 Chancellor side to allow the 3rd maindeck Nether Spirit

SIDEBOARD

3-4 Disrupting Shoal
    3 Contagion
    2-3 Vengeful Pharaoh

1-3 Faerie Macabre
    1-2 Unmask
    0-2 Surgical Extraction

0-1 Ashen Rider
    0-1 Chancellor

Most of my questions are sideboarding and I think it would be nice to go over each popular matchup and discuss possible sideboard options. Based on MY list what would you sideboard in and out vrs these matchups? I think this discussion could be helpful for everyone.

Delver
    Death and Taxes
    Eldrazi
    Burn

Miracles
    Control

Elves
    Reanimator
    Dredge
    Storm
    Lands
    Dark Depths

Quote Originally Posted by primeform View Post

4 Golgari Grave-Troll
    4 Stinkweed Imp
    4 Golgari Thug

4 Ichorid
    4 Narcomoeba
    4 Prized Amalgam
    2 Nether Shadow

2 Whirlpool Rider

4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Force of Will

4 Dread Return
    4 Bridge from Below

4 Phantasmagorian
    3 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Street Wraith
    I run a fearless version currently (have dabbled with horde mode in the past) and I say for 4 probes or 0. it does you no good in your deck once the dredging starts so you need it in your opening hand to be worth anything. 12 dredges is a bit tight IMO too, so i'd cut them for more of those, if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    I run a fearless version currently (have dabbled with horde mode in the past) and I say for 4 probes or 0. it does you no good in your deck once the dredging starts so you need it in your opening hand to be worth anything. 12 dredges is a bit tight IMO too, so i'd cut them for more of those, if anything.
    Need the probes for blue count to keep force of will main deck. Also probe is good against anything without counterspells so 0 seems excessive. Also having 3 of versus 4 of maindeck is 31.5 pct versus 40 pct to have it opening hand. I made the hard decision to go with 4 amalgams over 4 probe, but could see an argument the other way. Thanks for the replies about maindeck but for now Im looking for sideboard help based on the 60 I have chosen. I understand the merits of fearless and horde but decided to go with the blue version with 12 dredgers.

Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by primeform View Post
    Need the probes for blue count to keep force of will main deck. Also probe is good against anything without counterspells so 0 seems excessive. Also having 3 of versus 4 of maindeck is 31.5 pct versus 40 pct to have it opening hand. I made the hard decision to go with 4 amalgams over 4 probe, but could see an argument the other way. Thanks for the replies about maindeck but for now Im looking for sideboard help based on the 60 I have chosen. I understand the merits of fearless and horde but decided to go with the blue version with 12 dredgers.
    We're heavily favored against pretty much anything without counterspells (that isn't fast combo), so you don't need the Probe there. You know you're free to combo out any time and you know you can do it well before the fair decks become a threat anyways.

In the long run you're probably better off just running w/ 15-16 dredgers and a full set of Shadows instead of a set of FoWs.

As for SB'ing, at times your best bet is to not sideboard at all, as speed can be your best bet at beating hate. Boarding is something you should mostly do vs. decks that are faster than you and need to be slowed down a turn or two so you have the time to get there yourself.
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Magic Player

Jul 2011
    Boston

@primeform: FOW or Chancellor main not both. Also I agree that 12 dredgers is to low. I would play 14 dredgers at a minimum.

I ended up with a 1-3 scrub at scg. Post thoughts and matchups later.

Edit:
    Round 1 storm 1-2
    I got game 1 and thought he was on TES because of BW when I Theropied him. Games 2 and 3 I didn't see a single sideboard card and storm is the faster deck sadly.

Round 2 infect 0-2
    Game 1 I striped his hand and needed him to not draw a pump spell to win, he drew a probe which found him the pump spell. Game 2 he had turn one cage and I didn't have FoW so game over.

Round 3 elves-ish 2-0
    He was playing more of a tribal brew than normal combo elves or so it seemed. Game 2 I had to combo with an essence warden on board which made math fun. I was able to Dr a 40/40 troll with him going to 40 off the warden trigger for exacties which was cool.

Round 4 D&T 0-2
    Game 1 he had an early Thalia plus double Mirran Crusader one of which picked up a Sofi,* and I wasn't able to go wide enough in time. Game 2 I forced his t2 Thalia. Which let me cast a Theropy which hit a STP while showing me Crusader and SFM. On his next turn he top decked Containment priest which I wasn't able to answer in time.

On the whole my matchups were a little rough but the deck feels fine. The only card I missed was the third spy, for whatever reason I couldn't find any of the other ones I own and the vendors didn't have any when I looked. The only change would be to add the spy over 2nd Flayer. For reference this is what I ran:

Creatures (45)
    4 Street Wraith
    4 Phantasmagorian
    3 Chancellor of the Annex

4 Ichorid
    4 Nether Shadow
    4 Prized Amalgam
    4 Narcomoeba

14 dredgers

2 Balustrade Spy
    2 Flayer of the Hatebound

Sorcery (11)
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Dread Return

Enchantment (4)
    4 Bridge from Below

Sideboard (15)
    4 Force of Will
    2 Faerie Macabre
    2 Leyline of Sanctity
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Contagion
    1 Vengeful Pharaoh
    1 Ashen Rider
    1 Dakmor Salvage
    Last edited by WarpWorld; 03-07-2018 at 09:27 AM.

Apr 2015
    Saratoga Springs, NY

I went to SCG Worcester this weekend and went 6-3 in the Open with Manaless Dredge. I've goldfished the deck hundreds of times and watched a ton of coverage, but I only started playing in real events a couple of months ago. I believe this was my fifth tournament ever, the other four being 20 person FNMs at the local store, so I'm extremely happy with my finish.

This is the list I ran:

Creatures
    4 Golgari Grave-Troll
    4 Stinkweed Imp
    4 Golgari Thug
    2 Shambling Shell

4 Narcomoeba
    4 Ichorid
    4 Prized Amalgam
    2 Nether Shadow

4 Phantasmagorian
    4 Street Wraith
    3 Whirlpool Rider

Spells
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Dread Return
    4 Bridge From Below
    4 Gitaxian Probe

Sideboard
    4 Force of Will
    3 Disrupting Shoal
    3 Contagion
    3 Faerie Macabre
    1 Flame-Kin Zealot
    1 Progenitus

I decided to run 2 Shells because space seemed tight, though after this weekend I'm going to 3 or 4. 2 Nether Shadows seemed fine, it's an easy flex slot when trying to fill out other things. I went with 3 Whirlpool Riders over Balustrade Spy not only because it pitches to Force of Will, but also because in testing against Show and Tell, Balustrade Spy killed me, and Whirlpool Rider won me the game every time. I like the Chancellor a lot for the obvious opening hand reason, but it was also an excellent DR target in testing. The sideboard is pretty stock blue. I added the Progenitus the night before in the hotel room, because I got this irrational fear of Imperial Painter and older High Tide variants.

My notes weren't great, but I can bring you through some highlights and try to remember as best I can.

Round One vs. Mitch Doyle on Sneak and Show (2-1)

He won the die roll (almost everyone did, luckily). My opening hand had a Street Wraith and some dredgers, good enough. Turn one he fetched for Volcanic Island, Pondered and passed. I'm thinking Sneak and Show immediately. I draw a Chancellor for turn and discard a dredger. Turn two he cantrips again plays Island, cantrips. I opt not to cycle the Wraith because at this point I've seen the red mana, and I assume that he'll be dropping Gris or Emrakul, so I want to be able to dig if he goes the Show and Tell route. I just dredge some stuff to the yard, no Narcos, pass the turn. Turn three he plays a land, taps out and casts Show and Tell. I respond by cycling Street Wraith, whiff on the rider. So I say it resolves, sigh, and put the Chancellor on the table. He flips his card: Omniscience. I laugh as I turn the Chancellor face up. His eyes get a little wide, he looks at his hand, looks at his tapped out mana, and passes the turn. I hit on my next dredge pretty well and manage to kill him turn 3 with some attacks, a DRed Flayer, undying, Amalgams, you know the drill.

I don't believe I sideboarded anything.

Game 2 I don't really have many notes. I had Rider in my opener, so I figured I could possibly win off of that. I probed him, saw Sneak Attack, Show and Tell, Island, Island, Brainstorm and Griselbrand. I opted to Therapy the Sneak Attack, because forcing the S&T would be great for me. I got him down to 9 with creatures, found another Therapy for the S&T, and stranded the Gris in his hand. I managed to win pretty easily the next turn with a DRed Flayer and an Undying trigger off of a Therapy.

1-0

Round Two vs. Dylan Hand on Colorless Eldrazi (1-2)

Not much to say about this match. Game 1 I produced too many creatures for him to handle. He never really had good attacks, and I managed to get there on the ground.

Games 2 and 3 he mulliganed to 5 for Turn Zero Leyline. Didn't feel too bad. I accepted that it could happen when I registered the list. Dylan ended up taking 8th place, so congrats are in order for him. Nice guy, played well.

Round Three vs Erik Massack on Goblins (1-2)

I've never played against Goblins before, and I've barely seen coverage of it, so I was completely unprepared. He had the turn one Lackey all three games, Tarfired the right creatures. It wasn't much of a contest.

Game 1: He overwhelmed me with Goblins before I could get the combo online. It was savage.

+3 Contagion
    -1 Shadow
    -1 Phantasmagorian
    -1 Shell

Game 2: I managed to probe him, therapy a Tarfire, Therapy a Pyrokinesis. He cast Surgical Extraction on my Dread Return, but I managed to get there with Prized Amalgam beats.

Game 3: He got a Lackey, Goblin Matron, and got to Goblin Sharpshooter. This was rough, because I wasn't hitting my Prized Amalgams or my Bridges, so it wasn't worth bringing back Ichorids and Nether Shadows. Eventually he ripped a Relic off the top, cracked it immediately, and ran me over.

I have a feeling that I could have won this match, but my lack of experience definitely showed here.

1-2

Round Four vs. Andrew Hanna on Shardless Bug (1-2)

I was starting to get tired and hungry because my matches kept going long, so this was a pretty foggy match for me.

Game 1: I brought the early beats, Therapied a Force of Will from his hand and DRed a Whirlpool Rider, Flayer, Amalgam triggers, easy win.

-4 Chancellor
    -1 Nether Shadow
    -1 Phantasamagorian
    -1 Ichorid
    +4 Force of Will
    +3 Disrupting Shoal

Game 2: My notes simply say the word "Cage" and it is underlined.

Game 3: I opened a hand with no sideboard cards, no Wraith, no Phant. He had a turn one Shaman, turn 2 Shaman. I had to discard spells instead of dredgers to play around the shaman, and he started eating those to work on my life total. Eventually I drew into a Phantasmagorian, and managed to get some graveyard action going. At that point my opponent resolved a Night of Souls' Betrayal and started playing Baleful Strix into it to draw a card and nuke my bridges. I kept dredging, he played a Jace and started to Fateseal me, not looking good. I eventually found an Amalgam, and managed to get it into play, but he Abrupt Decayed it and slammed a cage. I know when I'm beat.

1-3

At this point, I figured I'd go for one more round, since I payed the money and came to play some Legacy.

Round Five vs. Lucas Wade on UW Stoneblade (2-1)

Game 1: He got an early Stoneforge, put down a Batterskull, drew into a Jitte, and slowly beat me to death.

-4 Chancellor
    -1 Nether Shadow
    -1 Phantasmagorian
    -1 Dread Return
    +4 Force of Will
    +3 Disrupting Shoal

Game 2: I had double Street Wraith and a Troll in my opener, he never really had a chance. I Cabal Therapied two Forces, reanimated a Whirlpool Rider, and won from there.

Game 3: This was super weird. We played out a kind of long game. He managed to get two Stoneforges, and play a Batterskull and a Jitte, put the Jitte on the Germ token, got in some beats. At one point he used Jitte to kill his own Stoneforge exiling my Bridges. We ended up going to time in this one. On turn zero I DRed a Whirlpool Rider and whiffed on the Flayer. Had to activate Phantasmagorian just to make my hand smaller, and DR another Rider. This time I flipped the rest of my library and found the Flayer. My opponent was at 21, so I cast Dread Return on Flayer, triggered 3 Amalgams (one had been pitched to a Force of Will earlier) and knocked him down to 8. Unfortunately, I had no more Therapies or Returns, so I basically was done. Passed the turn with no cards in my library. At this point my opponent untaps, looks at my board, and casts a Supreme Verdict. Naturally, I perk right up. This kills my Amalgams and Flayer, Flayer undies, triggering Amalgams, and I kill him on his end step. Afterwards he asked one of his friends whether the Verdict was the wrong move. His friend said "Yeah, you should have passed the turn and won."

2-3

Round Six vs. Daniel Rothbart on Colorless Eldrazi (2-0)

Game 1: He TKSed me a couple of times, getting a probe the first time, and a couple of other cards, but I managed to overwhelm him with the hasty zombies, just like Dylan in round 2, and I got there with the beats.

-4 Chancellor
    +4 Force of Will

Game 2: He mulliganed to 4, presumably looking for Leyline. Kept a four card hand. He had turn one Mimic, turn two Mimic. On turn three he played a Chalice on Zero with an untapped Ancient Tomb, I have no idea what he was afraid of, but he said he hadn't played much Legacy so he wasn't sure whether that was the right play. I managed to get some beats going. He played a Ratchet Bomb and cast an Endless One for zero to try and nuke the Bridges. I didn't even have to point out the Chalice, because he noticed it the second he put the Endless One on the table. He cracked the Bomb to kill a bunch of zombie tokens, but I managed to Return the Flayer with my opponent at 6, then sac it to a Therapy for the Undying. He shook my hand and wished me luck.

3-3

Round Seven vs. Marcello Mafra on Elves (2-1)

Marcello came all of the way from Brazil just to play in this tournament. He was barely conversational in English, but he was a super nice guy and we managed to communicate well enough.

Game 1: He played a Dryad Arbor, I drew and discarded, he played a turn 2 Glimpse of Nature and played a crapload of elves, passed the turn. I Dredged, probed him, saw a GSZ, dredged some more, never found a Therapy. Turn 3 he cast GSZ for 8 and Crater Hoofed me to death.

-4 Chancellor
    +3 Contagion
    +1 Zealot

Game 2: He Glimpsed again, played a bunch of elves, drew a bunch of cards, and I managed to kill him with a DRed Whirlpool Rider into the Flayer and Amalgams, it was sweet.

Game 3: He had the Dryad Arbor and the turn 2 Glimpse AGAIN. Small glimpse chain, passed the turn. I was able to probe him (Crater Hoof, Natural Order, Heritage Druid, Thoughtseize, Thoughtseize). I did a little math, and thought it was unlikely that he could top deck and cast Craterhoof (though, most of his deck makes mana, so it's kind of a gamble). I only had one Therapy, so I cast it naming Natural Order, and got in for 9 in some combination. He played out the Heritage Druid, counted his mana for a long time, and passed the turn. I managed to untap with 24 power worth of creatures. I believe I had 7 Zombies, 2 Amalgams, an Ichorid, and a Nether Shadow. I swung with the team, he thought about it for a long time, and extended the hand.

4-3

Round 8 vs. Robert Buck on Death and Taxes (2-1)

Game 1: I don't remember this game too well. I got some Ichorids and Amalgams going, had some bridges in the yard. He cast a Thalia, but it wasn't enough and I ran him over.

-4 Chancellor
    -1 Dread Return
    -1 Nether Shadow
    -1 Ichorid
    +4 Force of Will
    +3 Disrupting Shoal
    (I was afraid of RiP)

Game 2: He vialed in a Containment Priest, I scooped.

-4 Force of Will
    -3 Disrupting Shoal
    +3 Contagion
    +1 Flame-Kin Zealot
    +1 Dread Return
    +1 Nether Shadow
    +1 Ichorid

Game 3: Turn zero Chancellor. He played a land, I discarded a dredger. Turn two he paid two mana for a Mom and passed. I probed on my turn and saw Mom, Stoneforge, Wasteland, Path, and Batterskull. I swung for 10 and therapied his Batterskull and his Stoneforge, getting some zombies. He pathed an Amalgam and asked me if I wanted to search, I laughed aand declined. I managed to hit him for another 8 next turn. He never found anything and scooped at 2 life.

5-3

Round 9 vs. Timothy Candee on UR Delver (2-1)

At this point, there were murmurs that 6-3 might make Day 2, so I was pretty excited about the last match.

Game 1: He fetched for Volcanic, cast Swiftspear and swung. I guessed his deck pretty quickly. I discarded a dredger. Turn 2 he played out a Stormchaser Mage and swung. I dredged unimpressively. Turn 3, I believe he cast a ponder and swung for 4. I laughed at my deck's malfunctioning. I cabal Therapied at some point, missed on the name, and saw Bolt, Price, Probe, Snapcaster, Island. On the second to las turn of the game I cast a Therapy naming Price of Progress. He was still at 16 and I was at 3, so just casting it was enough, but he top decked a spell and I died.

-4 Chancellor
    +4 Force of Will

Game 2: He Got some early beats going again, I tried to keep them at bay somewhat unsuccessfully. He knocked me down to 5, and I managed to put a Dread Return on the stack. He Forced it, but I had my own Force, so it resolved. I combo killed him with Rider/Flayer.

Game 3: I had a Street Wraith in the opener, hit well on my dredgers, got some blockers, and combo killed him from 10 life.

6-2-1 ended up being the cutoff for Day 2, so I missed it by a point, but I was pretty happy with that finish. My big takeaways were that I saw virtually no hate in any of my games. Two leylines, a cage, a priest, and a relic across 25 games of Magic. Also, a lot of people didn't quite know how to play against me. I only used the Whirlpool Rider plan a handful of time, I got there with combat and value Flayers quite a few times. Never Dread Returned a Chancellor, and didn't see any of the matchups I run him main for (Storm, Reanimator). I never needed the Progenitus (though it did look pretty sweet in my sideboard the whole tournament). I only cast Force two or three times, never cast a Contagion, never used a Faerie Macabre. I definitely got lucky in my matchup, and I think that a couple of times my inexperience got the better of me.

I'm probably going to add another Shambling Shell, possibly cutting the fourth Chancellor. There were a few games where I had to draw-go and it didn't feel particularly good. Otherwise, the deck felt pretty solid. I look forward to more big events in the future. Thanks for reading everybody!

Awsome job and great report Brad!

Dec 2013

Congrats on the result & nice report!

As for Spy killing you after a Show and Tell, one word...

Progenitus

I've been running one in my MD for several years now and love it
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Thread Information