Page 68 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1858646566676869707172 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 1475

Thread: [Primer] +Manaless Dredge+

Re: [Primer] +Manaless Dredge+

After more tests, I was wrong about Once Upon a Time. The card is awesome.

https://www.manalessdredge.com/2019/...-thrice_4.html

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Awesome username! Vine Dryad is pretty unorthodox, but it's reasonable fodder for Dread Return and helps the green count after sideboard. What's the logic for Flayer of the Hatebound over Lotleth Giant?
    What's the point of Vine Dryad when you could just play Basking Rootwalla? You're RFGing a resource instead of just playing a free creature off of Phantasmagorian or your discard phase?

Hi you all, next week i will push this configuration (not convinced at all). Advice is welcome.

4 thug
    4 moeba
    4 shadow
    3 amalgalm
    4 shel
    4 sitnkweed imp
    4 ichorid
    3 spy
    4 golgari troll
    4 wraith
    2 hogaak
    1 giant
    4 gorian

4 therapy
    3 chill
    4 dread return

4 bridge

SB:

3 macabre
    2 black shoal
    4 vigor
    4 blue trap
    2 contagion

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

@GoldenCid Only 14 green sources for FoV will cause you to lack a pitch card every once in a while, so that's something you could look at

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    What's the point of Vine Dryad when you could just play Basking Rootwalla? You're RFGing a resource instead of just playing a free creature off of Phantasmagorian or your discard phase?
    Not my list. I was replying to GolgariGlenRoss, who said his goal was to combo as fast as possible with a Spy build. My guess is unless you have Phantasmagorian, Basking Rootwalla is more likely to be stranded in hand, whereas Vine Dryad could enable a faster Dread Return. Personally, I haven't tried either option, so I don't know which is superior.

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

The bad news: Tiebreakers caused me to just miss out on top 8, so I didn't get an invitation to the Format Championship.

The good news: I finished 9th out of 150 in today's quarterly Format Playoff, and I'm really happy about that Manaless is sweet.

It's the same list as this one. Don't hesitate to ask questions if you have any. I remember a lot of it, and I can check the replays if it's something specific I forgot.

6-2
    2-1 Aggro Loam
    2-0 Blood Sun Stompy/Red Eldrazi
    2-0 RUG Delver. They finished 18th
    0-2 Elves. They finished 3rd
    1-2 RUG Delver. They finished 1st
    2-0 Esper creature deck
    2-0 Jund. They finished 25th
    2-1 BUG Once Upon a Time Death's Shadow. They finished 21st

My favorite moment: A player I've never played before winning the die roll and putting me on the play game 1

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    The bad news: Tiebreakers caused me to just miss out on top 8, so I didn't get an invitation to the Format Championship.

The good news: I finished 9th out of 150 in today's quarterly Format Playoff, and I'm really happy about that Manaless is sweet.

It's the same list as this one. Don't hesitate to ask questions if you have any. I remember a lot of it, and I can check the replays if it's something specific I forgot.

6-2
    2-1 Aggro Loam
    2-0 Blood Sun Stompy/Red Eldrazi
    2-0 RUG Delver. They finished 18th
    0-2 Elves. They finished 3rd
    1-2 RUG Delver. They finished 1st
    2-0 Esper creature deck
    2-0 Jund. They finished 25th
    2-1 BUG Once Upon a Time Death's Shadow. They finished 21st

My favorite moment: A player I've never played before winning the die roll and putting me on the play game 1
    Awesome showing. Aside from the missed tie breakers, how'd everything go for you? Just highlight a couple of sweet plays from the day.

Did you notice a lot of graveyard hate to play through? SB strategies, always important, how did you typically play it?

And the two matches you lost, how did they play out, were you never in it or ?

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

The even better news :D

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    Awesome showing. Aside from the missed tie breakers, how'd everything go for you? Just highlight a couple of sweet plays from the day.

Did you notice a lot of graveyard hate to play through? SB strategies, always important, how did you typically play it?

And the two matches you lost, how did they play out, were you never in it or ?
    Thanks a lot! I felt like a report would answer your questions more roundly.

Round 1. 2-1 Aggro Loam

Game 1 win: They landed KotR on turn 3, but follwing an earlier Wraith and then a Phantasmagorian, I had the combo set up before any activations

Game 2 loss: They mull to 3 for a LotV and I don't see a FoV

Game 3 win: Seeing their aggressive mull, I mull to 6, Powder away that 6, mull that 6 into a 5 with FoV. They mull to 6 for a LotV, a slower hand. FoV takes out the LotV and a Library. They land Confidant and play a Bojuka Bog to get rid of my first discarded dredger, Imp. A brief standout ensues when they have Thalia, Confidant, and PFire, and I have a slew of creatures and Bridges. I land Hogaak, they Crop Rotation for Karakas, and PFire their Thalia to get ride of Bridges. 2nd Thalia lands, but my creatures keep coming and overwhelm Swords and Decay

Sideboarding: I probably did something like -4 Therapy -4 Phantasmagorian, +4 FoV +3 Sickening Shoal +1 Gigapede before Game 2 and -4 Therapy -4 Phantasmagorian -2 Spy -1 DReturn, +4 FOV +3 Sickening Shoal +3 Powder +1 Gigapede before Game 3
    Therapy out b/c of Chalice, Phantasmagorian out b/c of Bog, Shoal in for Ooze. I may have boarded in Powders for Game 2

Round 2. 2-0 Blood Sun Stompy/Red Eldrazi

Game 1 win: They land Chalice, then I discard Imp instead of Phantasmagorian because I don't know if they're playing Karn (into Crypt). Their turn 2 Reality Smasher and turn 3 Rabblemaster are threatening, but I discarded Phantasmagorian on my second discard, giving me a Nether Shadow to go along with an Ichorid in the GY from my first dredge, and I tap both to cast Hogaak, and sac them all for a Spy DReturn

Game 2 win: I Powder away a FoV-less hand into one with FoV, but I see no LotV, and a turn 1 Trinisphere instead. I see a turn 2 Rabblemaster, but a Street Wraith'ed GGT gives me Narcomoeba and Shadow, and next turn a 2nd Shadow into a Hogaak, which triggers Amalgam

Sideboarding: -4 Therapy probably -2 Spy -2 DReturn, +4 FoV +3 Powder +1 Gigapede
    LotV and other artifacts a possibility. Combo finish less reliable with the possibility of Trinisphere anyway

Round 3. 2-0 RUG Delver

Game 1 win: Quick concession after the first GGT dredge and a Phantasmagorian give me a Narcomoeba, two triggered Amalgams, a Shadow in the yard, and Bridge/Therapy

Game 2 win: With Hexdrinker and Tarmogoyf on the board, my two Ichorids in the GY are Surgical'ed. On their next turn, they land another goyf and a Delver. I recur two Shadows, get a Narcomoeba, trigger 2 Amalgams, take a Daze and get a Zombie with Therapy, then cast Hogaak. They Karakas the Hogaak and start swinging. My guys do some attacking and blocking and they level up Hexdrinker to get to unblockable attacks, but I win the race

Sideboarding: -4 DReturn -3 Spy -1 Flayer, +4 Faerie Macabre +3 FoV +1 Gigapede. Edit: I brought in all 4 FoV. Either brought in 3 Macabre or shaved a Therapy
    Macabre for Surgicals on my recurring creatures

Round 4. 0-2 Elves

Game 1 loss: They play a turn 2 Ooze from hand, and even though Phantasmagorian and my first dredge give me goodies, they start exiling all of my recurring creatures

Game 2 loss: Another turn 2 Ooze from hand, and despite Phantasmagorian and Street Wraith, a similar story

Sideboarding: ~-4 Cabal Therapy -3 DReturn -3 Spy -1 Flayer, +4 FoV +3 Sickening Shoal +3 Serum Powder +1 Gigapede
    Sucks to lose the speed of the combo finish, but Ooze or LotV are lights out, and given the Game 1 loss, didn't have any space to feel out their SB choices
    Natural Oozes are tough to beat, but thankfully that sequence isn't going to happen a lot. Bigger threats than Ooze in terms of being common are Bog and fast combo, and I was fortunate enough to see a minimal amount of that

Round 5. 1-2 RUG Delver

Game 1 win: Nothing too crazy

Game 2 loss: They play Cage turn 1 and FoV is FoW'ed a few turns later

Game 3 loss: Opponent mulligans to 5. The replay of this one is messed up, but I remember getting going after an early Surgical, and then a Cage a number of turns in which halted my momentum
    Presumably because of Storm, Reanimator, and Dredge, and I'm guessing W&6 freeing up a sideboard slot (but I'm not a RUG player to know), we have to expect a singleton Cage. It's still a favorable matchup though; it's probably gone from 90/10 to 70/30 or something. You're not gonna see a 1-of in both sideboard games every time, and with counterspell backup. Totally fair play though; I've had plenty of unlikely, fortuitous dredges in my time And later game Cages are always possible with their card selection

Sideboarding: -4 DReturn -3 Spy -1 Flayer, +4 Faerie Macabre +3 FoV +1 Gigapede. Edit: I brought in all 4 FoV. Either brought in 3 Macabre or shaved a Therapy

Round 6. 2-0 Esper creature deck

Game 1 win: I see Moms, Meddling Mage, and Strix, but not much happens and I combo out

Game 2 win: They play Mage and Strix, and Jotun Grunt as graveyard hate, but Narcomoebas, Ichorid, Tokens, Amalgam, and Hogaak overwhelm it

Sideboarding: I think -4 DReturn -3 Spy -1 Flayer, +4 FoV +3 Sickening Shoal +1 Gigapede
    They had counter magic, not a terribly fast clock, and both RiP and CPriest were possible

Round 7. 2-0 Jund

Game 1 win: They have Liliana, then Bloodbraid Elf into Tarmogoyf, but I sac creatures to DReturn a Flayer, and their life total is low while I have a board presence + more creatures coming to trigger Flayer

Game 2 win: They put a LotV into play but it eats a FoV right away. Recurring creatures get the win

Sideboarding: -4 DReturn -3 Spy -1 Flayer, +4 FoV +3 Serum Powder +1 Gigapede. I know I brought in some number of Macabres because I've seen Surgical in Jund but I don't remember if they fully replaced Therapy or not

Round 8. 2-1 BUG Once Upon a Time Death's Shadow

Game 1 win: These games are always on a razor's edge, attacking into the opponent while growing their Death's Shadows. I generally attack into them making sure I have blockers for giant Shadows. In this game, I had them at 1 life, and they had two 12/12 Death's Shadows and an Angler. I attack with 4 creatures, and the Narcomoeba is returned to my hand with Brazen Borrower. That leaves me with 6 Zombies. I clear their hand of a Daze with a Hogaak tapping two of them, check for more with a Therapy, and then DReturn a Spy

Game 2 loss: I'm Thoughtseized, and then my first dredger is Macabre'ed. I get a dredge for two Narcomoebas in, but by then they have an 8/8 Death's Shadow, a Delver, and a Plague Engineer on Illusion

Game 3 win: They cast Once Upon a Time and then Delver on turn 1, and I discard GGT. Their Delver doesn't flip, they activate Macabre targeting GGT, and I Wraith in response. I dredge into Phantasmagorian and dump a bunch of stuff, and they conceded at some point after

Sideboarding: For game 2, I think I sided out the combo, and brought in something like 4 FoV, 1 Gigapede, and 3 Macabre, but I'm not positive. Therapies are nice for making Zombies to block big Death's Shadows, even if you're not clearing the way for spells
    For game 3, I assumed Macabre was their GY hate, so I sided the combo back in and Macabre out, and I think because they kept a 7 card hand in game 2, I ruled out LotV and went back to the game 1 60, but I'm not 100% on that. I don't think I did anything weird like boarding in Powder to maximize my chances at Phantasmagorian and Wraith, considering their clock and not wanting to water things down
    Last edited by Scott; 10-16-2019 at 06:41 PM.

Jan 2010
    UK

I clear their hand of a Daze with a Hogaak tapping two of them, check for more with a Therapy, and then DReturn a Spy
    forgive me ignorance but how do you win after flipping your whole library with the help of Spy?

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

A couple of Dread Returns, Flayer of the Hatebound and Golgari Grave-Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalrywolfpack View Post
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    A couple of Dread Returns, Flayer of the Hatebound and Golgari Grave-Troll
    The feels-good win.
    DDD / Death & Taxes

Hello, new user here.
    I wanted to bring to attention to this article that I just read about GP Atlanta --> article

In short, interesting information here:
    • 7 Manaless Dredge (0.7% of the meta)
    • Manaless Dredge won 57.1% of 56 matches (7th most succesful deck)
    • 15 Dredge (1.5% of the meta)
    • Dredge won 54.1% of 109 matches (slightly lower than the manaless counterpart)
    • 3 Mindbreak Trap in the SB and no Serum Powder in the 75

Among the comments, the pilot of the deck (John Tollison) confirms my initial assumptions: GP Atlanta turned out to be a great field for Manaless Dredge given the presence of numerous Wasteland-Delver-Counters based decks.
    What do you think of these numbers?

Peace!

Magic Player

Jul 2011
    Boston

Quote Originally Posted by Sbrilla View Post
    Hello, new user here.
    I wanted to bring to attention to this article that I just read about GP Atlanta --> article

In short, interesting information here:
    • 7 Manaless Dredge (0.7% of the meta)
    • Manaless Dredge won 57.1% of 56 matches (7th most succesful deck)
    • 15 Dredge (1.5% of the meta)
    • Dredge won 54.1% of 109 matches (slightly lower than the manaless counterpart)
    • 3 Mindbreak Trap in the SB and no Serum Powder in the 75

Among the comments, the pilot of the deck (John Tollison) confirms my initial assumptions: GP Atlanta turned out to be a great field for Manaless Dredge given the presence of numerous Wasteland-Delver-Counters based decks.
    What do you think of these numbers?

Peace!
    I think they are about right. We generally have a good delver matchup. I took my list to a 3-3 at the last Lal and the deck felt strong. Mulliganing aggressively for lotv proved costly for most of my opponents. My last round loss was due to variance but I was live for t16 up to that point

I just finished building this deck and it's fun as hell!

I'm running Balustrade Spy/Flayer. I was wondering about the potential benefits of switching to a version using Creeping Chill and maybe Lotleth Giant. I can't find anything in the primer, since I think these cards were printed after it was last updated.

Thanks in advance and Hail the Source!

The 2/2 split on Spy/Giant is just better, 4 black cards instead of 3 or 2 and more resilent to Crypt effects.

Dec 2013

3/1 is fine, and one black creature more or less for Ichorid hardly matters. Giant is better in a vacuum, Flayer is more robust
    DAMMIT ECHELON

3/1 is fine, and one black creature more or less for Ichorid hardly matters. Giant is better in a vacuum, Flayer is more robust
    It isn't a big deal either way, but I don't see a reason to play a red creature in a deck with Hogaak at all.

Dec 2013

And I don't mind running one in a deck with Hogaak.
    DAMMIT ECHELON

And I don't mind running one in a deck with Hogaak.
    lol, the logics right there.

Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    lol, the logics right there.
    That goes both ways bud
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Thread Information