Page 21 of 74 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer] +Manaless Dredge+

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Re: [Primer] +Manaless Dredge+

UR delver 2-1 (pharaoh did some overtime game 3 on his weak draws. he didn't draw any hate.)
    spanish inquisition 2-0 (he fizzled game 1, game 2 mindbreak trap)
    mono red goblins 2-0 (he had turn 1 lackey on the play, but his hand was awkward and i think he misused his lackey (prioritizing siege gang over ringleaders...he had 3. i got to therapy them away.)
    dredge 1-2 sigh. he's faster. (he also misplayed last game b/c he could have dread returned iona on black. i untapped and could attack for 12 and hit a flayer, but whiffed on dread return.

ijoawefijaiwfje;oajwefo;ajwiefawoefij;oawfije. 4-1 again.
    -rob

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

So close, lol.

Spanish inquisition lol!!

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Anyone else having buckets of fun with Prized Amalgam?

I just cycled Street Wraith during my opponent's turn, dredged into Phantasmagorian, Narcomoeba, Ichorid and something else, responded to Narcomoeba's trigger by activating Phantasmagorian's ability, discarding two Prized Amalgams from my hand, Dread Return and other stuff, and started my second turn with Narcomoeba, two Prized Amalgams, and Ichorid on the battlefield.

Dec 2013

Yes I am. It's nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Anyone else having buckets of fun with Prized Amalgam?
    SO much fun, I got a message from an opponent the other day yelping "good effort, seems you've ran out of card for your next turn... GG" Flayer on board and 12 points of damage on end step quieted him promptly ;)

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Niice. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by vieko View Post
    SO much fun, I got a message from an opponent the other day yelping "good effort, seems you've ran out of card for your next turn... GG" Flayer on board and 12 points of damage on end step quieted him promptly ;)
    Lol! Also, did he forget he'd get up to 16 damage during your next upkeep anyways? I mean, as long as he dies before you draw a card it's fine.

It's one of the reasons I run a Progenitus in my Spy lists - if my opponent is being a smart ass and thinks I'll die when he counters everything after my Spy flips the deck he just gets his butt kicked by Amalgams and Ichorids the next turn(s). Ichorids + Prized Amalgams + Nether Shadows + Narcomoebas equals up to 32 damage/turn. Or, you know, some obvious value with Flayer.
    Last edited by Echelon; 05-25-2016 at 05:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lol! Also, did he forget he'd get up to 16 damage during your next upkeep anyways? I mean, as long as he dies before you draw a card it's fine.

It's one of the reasons I run a Progenitus in my Spy lists - if my opponent is being a smart ass and thinks I'll die when he counters everything after my Spy flips the deck he just gets his butt kicked by Amalgams and Ichorids the next turn(s). Ichorids + Prized Amalgams + Nether Shadows + Narcomoebas equals up to 32 damage/turn. Or, you know, some obvious value with Flayer.
    I think he didn't see the Amalgams returning on my end step when he made the comment. They would've returned on his / her end step if not mine winning the game regardless (if Flayer was still on board). I do run a Progenitus in the SB (Thanks @mistercakes) but hardly ever bring it.

Dec 2013

It can be quite a lifesaver sometimes. I know I've lost games b/c I boarded it out, lol.

Haven't played in a long time (over a year+). How's the gravehate been looking lately?

I probably have the deck configured to RiverGhast at the moment with Blue sideboard. but bought Prized Amaglam, cause #obvi.

Have seen the spy lists post better results typically, but am interested in the hoard moar approach.

Any suggestions or advice to take to a GP Trial? What should I expect to play against?

First off, props to mistercakes, played his list with the Nature’s Claim and Undiscovered Paradise in the board.

Yesterday, played at the local GPT, Stomping Grounds in Hatboro, Pa. Props to the shop, cause I was able to pick-up the Iona, Shield of Emeria and 2nd Ashen Ghoul right before the game started. Was going to play a Grizzle and ghast if the other cards weren’t available.

TL;DR – 3-0-2, finished 2nd after swiss, then top 8 split (6 split pot, 2 played for the GP byes), finished 5th overall (somehow got jumped for 4th…)

Rd 1 Matthew L. – Grixis Delver (with DRS)
    G1 (He won the roll, played, mulled to 6)
    Just got there with undying zombies. He had an active DRS that prolonged the game by 4 turns, eating an icky, two shadows, and a prized amalgam. He hit me twice with an unflipped delver, and I cycled two wraiths. Two Ickies, two Prized Amalgams, two Narcos, and one N Shadow made it go. A few were eaten in the process.
    Finished 14-0
    G2 (Me on play, no sb changes)
    He fetched twice, but had a t2 cage, and that’s that.
    Finished scoop-18
    G3 (Me on draw, him mull to 5, sided in LEDs and Lootings, sided out combo pieces and a phanta)
    He surgicaled an Imp, but I had thugs to dredge with still. Returned a shadow and ghast, had a bridge that netted me a zombie. (This is the only game Bridges netted me a dude.) After dumping hand with a Phanta was drawing, and got an LED that paired with an already flipped Looting. Had 5 damage on board, opponent at 6, so just went hog wild to amass a bunch more dudes for overkill on my next turn, he scooped. I finished at 18 from a cycled wraith.
    Finished 18-scoop

Rd 2 Louis F. – D&T
    G1 (He won the roll, played)
    He landed an early Thalia, attacked me with it. I returned an icky which was promptly Stp’d. I attacked with a narco and Prized. There was some stalling and me attacking into him just to kill his blockers. I played a Salvage to get around Thalia, and was able to DR a Flayer, which killed a Phyrexian Revoker on Phanta. Dumped three Prized into yard, they returned and shot opponent for 9. Based on other critters in yard he scooped. Also won through an active Jitte.
    Finished 19-scoop
    G2 (Me on play, he mulled to ?, no sb changes)
    T2 RIP, :(
    Finished scoop-20
    G3 (Him on play, he mulled to 5 I think)
    He kept a loose hand with a RIP, but no white sources. My hand was LED, F Loot, Therapy, Amalgam, Troll, Imp, Thug. So I was dead to first turn cage, but he was on RIP. Unsure on turns, but I do my stuff (loving the LED addition) and blind name RIP (not difficult) and get it, maybe my second or third turn. See he has a mom, two waste and a mirran crusader as well. He had already played a P. revoker. Ultimately it ends in a swarm win, narco, shadows, amalgams.
    Finished 18-scoop

Rd 3 Bernard L. – High Tide
    G1 (I won the roll, thankfully, cause while shuffling I flipped a Salvage, so he played, fat fingers)
    Cast a Probe that was countered, got there with slow nice beats, about 4 turns. Shadows, returning amalgams, add an icky, the beats are real.
    Finished 18-scoop
    G2 (Me on play, sided out Pharaohs and a Bridge for Traps)
    He combo’ed out on turn 4. Funny thing, I had a trap in hand and used it, countered. Then on his critical turn he Time Spiral’ed twice, and each spin I drew another Trap, which was in turn countered each time.
    Finished 18-19 (decked)
    [At this point, I make the comment it’s ironic our decks are playing against each other, both just masturbatory games where one doesn’t really interact with the other to achieve victory]
    G3 (Him on play)
    I tried to punt this game hard. I drew and discarded a troll. Then after he said island go, I drew a Narco. Because I am bad at magic. Luckily I had two probes in hand, and was able to use them both and just filled the yard, saw he had an intuition, b-storm, preordain. On the following turn I was able to fire the therapies I’d flipped, he b-stormed in response. I wanted that Intuition, but figured he’d hide it, so blind called merchant scroll and hit it. He had a Force, Ponder, and the Intuition left in hand, fired a second therapy for the Intuition. On my 4th turn I had gotten him down to 5 after attacks (icky*2, shadow, prize), he had a TITI as a blocker. I went for broke and sac’ed dudes for a DR on Iona, which is overkill, but not cause combo. He b-stormed, and whiffed, probably could’ve FoW&pitch countered, but would be dead on board next turn with a still unflipped TITI. Whew, the coverage on that punt was excellent.
    Finished 16-scoop

Rd 4 Chris R. - ?
    ID
    We played a game of Modern, we were both on reactionary snappy decks, and I got rolled. He was more Grixis, me Izzet. I did get to Squelch him searching for a land, and Remand’ed several Ancestral Vision. So while I lost, I kind of won.

Rd 5 Roy Smith – UR Delver
    ID
    We played it out for funsies, but didn’t take notes.
    I know I won game 1 pretty easy, Vengeful Pharaoh did work.
    He sided in Surgicals, I sided in LEDs and Lootings, cause it took me till the 5th and last round to realize these should always go in the deck for G2 because a smart player will always put us on the play. Took a little bit. The second card flipped was an Iona, that just gets covered and passed over. Lo and behold, the game progresses, I Therapy him, naming daze as he was tapped out, and seeing a clear path DR Iona, and that’s that. Pharaoh did work again, and he was kinda miffed at the lack of Bridges in the yard, not wanting to trade his creatures on blocks with no bridges. I did flip a bridge, and he was much more willing to trade, still got a zombie out of it.

Get to top 8 cut, in 2nd. We hem and haw while the judge is on a “bathroom break” and the non-bye folks are happy to split the cash. It’s a rough deal for 2nd place, but can’t have your cake and eat it too. This is my second top 8 in a tourney, and it feels pretty great.

Stayed in the shop for a second to play an EDH game (Grimgrin). Softened people up hardcore with a Shepard of Rot, but, that was killing me too. Lost to the guy with a Purphoros, God of the Forge.

Went to go see X-Men: Apocalypse afterward, and it was ok. Got $75 in store credit, finished off some pain lands, got two more Ashen Ghoul, and a Restless Dead for EDH.

A good day indeed.
    Last edited by ahg113; 05-29-2016 at 06:05 PM.

I never felt the need for the claims or paradise. Would Riftstone Portal and Ray of Revelation make more sense? Tweaking for tweakings sake, I might go back to Contagion or Sickening Shoal. Revoker, Thalia, and DRS were the easiest things to hate on. Didn't miss the extra 2 Bridges like I thought I would, nor the 4th Therapy.

The deck is pretty awesome, definitely enjoy the added juice of Amalgam and Ghoul, and lack of gy hate since I'm guessing the banning of DTT.

Excellent work group for the added work on the deck.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    I never felt the need for the claims or paradise. Would Riftstone Portal and Ray of Revelation make more sense? Tweaking for tweakings sake, I might go back to Contagion or Sickening Shoal. Revoker, Thalia, and DRS were the easiest things to hate on. Didn't miss the extra 2 Bridges like I thought I would, nor the 4th Therapy.

The deck is pretty awesome, definitely enjoy the added juice of Amalgam and Ghoul, and lack of gy hate since I'm guessing the banning of DTT.

Excellent work group for the added work on the deck.
    undiscovered was in there for leyline of the void as a random out.

congrats on win. i think this deck is well positioned regardless of the build, although i am pretty partial to the LEDs out of the sb.

ive gone back and forth on the land version with ghoul and ghast or loading up on therapies and bridges.

still not sure what is better. depends on the amount of unfair combo.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    undiscovered was in there for leyline of the void as a random out.

congrats on win. i think this deck is well positioned regardless of the build, although i am pretty partial to the LEDs out of the sb.

ive gone back and forth on the land version with ghoul and ghast or loading up on therapies and bridges.

still not sure what is better. depends on the amount of unfair combo.
    That makes more sense. I was thinking cage or RIP.

Honestly, I think the 3 Therapy, 2 Bridges makes a lot more sense than 4 & 4. The drop off of Salvage to S. Shell isn't that great, and it has the added benefit of getting around any tax effect. And I'm a fan of Ghoul, with the added beef of Amalgam, a haste beat stick that sticks around is pretty nice. When the D&T player tried to Port the Salvages, it was great to just float it and bring back a Ghoul with it. If there's a chance to cast Therapy from hand, it's just extra icing.

I think Horde Moar started as a joke, but I'm digging the extra bodies and grinding. The combo is there (props to Iona), but not necessary. I've ran out of steam with the team in times past, Ghoul and Amalgam really help turn the tide. 3 power that stays on the board, instead of self-sac. If the combo is better preferred, I reckon the Spy Version makes the most sense.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    That makes more sense. I was thinking cage or RIP.

Honestly, I think the 3 Therapy, 2 Bridges makes a lot more sense than 4 & 4. The drop off of Salvage to S. Shell isn't that great, and it has the added benefit of getting around any tax effect. And I'm a fan of Ghoul, with the added beef of Amalgam, a haste beat stick that sticks around is pretty nice. When the D&T player tried to Port the Salvages, it was great to just float it and bring back a Ghoul with it. If there's a chance to cast Therapy from hand, it's just extra icing.

I think Horde Moar started as a joke, but I'm digging the extra bodies and grinding. The combo is there (props to Iona), but not necessary. I've ran out of steam with the team in times past, Ghoul and Amalgam really help turn the tide. 3 power that stays on the board, instead of self-sac. If the combo is better preferred, I reckon the Spy Version makes the most sense.
    yea its possible to combat combo youll want to sb up to the 4th therapies at least. i know vieko has had a lot of success as well with the faerie macabres.

what was the 75 you ran? i cant seem to find it.
    -rob

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

oh yea. that was a fun one! also when you side in 4 faithless 4 led, make sure you also bring in the 2 undiscovered. randomly great with bloodghast too.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    oh yea. that was a fun one! also when you side in 4 faithless 4 led, make sure you also bring in the 2 undiscovered. randomly great with bloodghast too.
    I had been running a blue RiverGhast list, so having Salvages over Shambling Shell wasn't a stretch. Add in the Prized Amalgams, and it was -1 Therapy, -1 DR, -2 Bridges, and swap two Ghast for Ashen Ghouls. Other change... +2 Vengeful Pharaohs, +1 Iona, -3 River Kelpie. Easy peasy, and thanks to the Amalgams for the added beef. Super impressed with that card.

Dec 2013

Horde mode at an actual paper tournament - I'm impressed!

Thread Information