Page 36 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer] +Manaless Dredge+

Feb 2017
    Ann Arbor, MI

Re: [Primer] +Manaless Dredge+

Thanks for the responses, folks! I jammed a bunch of matches today, and I almost immediately got to Shoal a RIP and then Force another the following game - blue sideboard is great.

Gotta say, I'm sick and tired of seeing turn one DRS (though I shouldn't complain, since I play BUG in paper), so I went up to 3x Contagion in the side. Speaking of sideboard cards, how aggressively do you all mulligan for them? I found myself very hard-pressed to mulligan any 7-card hand with a dredger.

Lastly, are we just completely cold to Leyline of the Void? It felt real bad to crush a weird burn deck game one, only to auto-lose the next two after they mulliganed aggressively for their Leyline.

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Zifbox View Post
    2) Running Progenitus (or other creature with the same shuffle-in replacement effect) obviously keeps you from milling out from over-dredging or a Dread Return'd spy, but it only works reliably for 1 turn. Phantasmagorian might also buy another turn or two with it, depending on how many cards are in your hand. Is that enough to make it worth it? How often does the deck fail to win after a full-mill?
    Discarding to hand size is a thing, you know. And then there's Cabal Therapy and Phantasmagorian.

Typically, the deck doesn't lose after milling yourself completely. I just like that Progenitus lets you kill your opponent w/ resolving just a single DR, allowing you to use the others as counter fodder. After you've milled yourself, you get to swing w/ all your Ichorids, Nether Shadows and Prized Amalgams (and whatever else you have on the field) turn after turn. Just 1 swing puts you well over 20 damage.

@Leylines: That's the risk you take with this deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalrywolfpack View Post
    DAMMIT ECHELON

[Primer] +Manaless Dredge+

I ran my rather stock blue list with FOWs in SB last "legacy wednesday". Made a mediocre 2-2. But that felt ok as I'm learning the deck. I won all G1 as expected but lost to

Show and tell who were too fast G2 and G3

And Maverick who won G2 with RIP and G3 with doubble shaman and active jitte to deny me bridges (after FOWing RIP)

Wins were against

MUD 2-0 (Hello chalice into trinisphere, who cares here's a street wraith) and

TES 2-0 where i did get some lucky dredges (therapy plus shadow plus bridge) against.

I felt unsure about the SB plan though. I want to bring in FOW like every game but I dont want to dilute my gameplan too much.

My goto was: shambling shell, shadow, and either DR + flayer (vs DRS-decks) or wraith + phantasmagorian (vs non DRS-decks). Any other suggestions which cards to cut?

Deck for reference:
    http://decks.deckedbuilder.com/d/273801

Jun 2009
    Quad Cities, IA

Hey guys, I haven't really played the deck since 2014, but I am again online for good practice. I don't like the FoW version. I was off it, then on, and now back off in paper, so I don't plan on taking to it online. Anyways, outside of blue what's my best plan for fighting storm nowadays? I see it has a large online presence. Unmask and/or Chancellor mb? Leyline of Sanctity or Chalice sb?
    The Quad Cities: twice as nice as the Twin Cities.

Nov 2016
    Los Angeles, CA

Quote Originally Posted by igri_is_a_bk View Post
    Hey guys, I haven't really played the deck since 2014, but I am again online for good practice. I don't like the FoW version. I was off it, then on, and now back off in paper, so I don't plan on taking to it online. Anyways, outside of blue what's my best plan for fighting storm nowadays? I see it has a large online presence. Unmask and/or Chancellor mb? Leyline of Sanctity or Chalice sb?
    Sideboard Mindbreak traps and just hoping you get a couple turns to cast some cabal therapies. Sanctity is actively bad, chalice on 0 is only kind of annoying most of the time, as they can go off eventually anyways and has the same issue of heavily slowing down our gameplan, unmash is fine, chancellor is fine as well as it slows them down by a whole turn usually.

Gotta say, I'm sick and tired of seeing turn one DRS (though I shouldn't complain, since I play BUG in paper), so I went up to 3x Contagion in the side. Speaking of sideboard cards, how aggressively do you all mulligan for them? I found myself very hard-pressed to mulligan any 7-card hand with a dredger.
    Against a shaman wih a good hand, i think the best plan is to wait some turn to draw a phantasmagorian or a Street wraith and hope for an explosif turn. If the hand is too slow you can also mulligan, but only once.

Lastly, are we just completely cold to Leyline of the Void? It felt real bad to crush a weird burn deck game one, only to auto-lose the next two after they mulliganed aggressively for their Leyline.
    Don't try to figth against Leyline, it's just impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by igri_is_a_bk View Post
    Anyways, outside of blue what's my best plan for fighting storm nowadays?
    Against Ad nauseam the best card is FOW and Shoal, with this card you hope he don't have discard.
    You can play Unmask to kill him a good card if he don't discard you yet and you have a dredger in graveyard. I like all in plan so against Ad Nauseam i have 3 LED in side, but it's only because i have 3 free slot.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Xenio View Post
    Against a shaman wih a good hand, i think the best plan is to wait some turn to draw a phantasmagorian or a Street wraith and hope for an explosif turn. If the hand is too slow you can also mulligan, but only
    Dont hesitate to just draw and play your dredger. To avoid getting blown out by street wraith, he may not activate drs on it to wait for narco/icho.

Feb 2017
    Ann Arbor, MI

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    Dont hesitate to just draw and play your dredger. To avoid getting blown out by street wraith, he may not activate drs on it to wait for narco/icho.
    Some opponents have done that, while others go straight for the dredger. Guess it depends on what level your opponent is thinking on.

[Primer] +Manaless Dredge+

I went 4-0 last night.
    2-1 versus food chain
    2-0 versus goblins
    2-1 versus death n taxes (with 5-6 relevant sideboard cards)
    2-0 versus U/W stoneblade

Won every G1 and boarded into fow every G2

Got to fow containment priest and Rest in peace which won me two games.

I'm pretty sure Pharao got to go. I'm considering black or blue shoal (or both)

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/579254#online

Interesting list 5-0ed recently. Kelpie, Arbors, Salvage, Bloodghasts and more. Oh my.

Quote Originally Posted by ChemicalBurns View Post
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/579254#online

Interesting list 5-0ed recently. Kelpie, Arbors, Salvage, Bloodghasts and more. Oh my.
    This is the only way for dealing with cage o leyline. Im not sure if its reliable but that's the way. I remember taht first lists also run reverent silence

Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by ChemicalBurns View Post
    Very few recurring creatures though. And having to rely on 6 green sources and a 3-off to answer to a resolved Cage/Leyline sounds incredibly iffy. And this is ignoring whatever your opponent might do.

I suspect that list was just a right thing on the right place at the right moment type of deal.
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    I suspect that list was just a right thing on the right place at the right moment type of deal.
    Yeah I think any other list could have done it as well.

Hi all.
    There is a big tournament where I want to go with this deck.
    How do you think that you can change in main?

4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Dread Return
    4 Bridge from Below

4 Prized Amalgam
    4 Chancellor of the Annex
    4 Golgari Thug
    4 Golgeri Grave-Troll
    4 Stinkweed Imp
    4 Street Wraith
    4 Phantasmagorian
    4 Ichorid
    4 Narcomoeba
    3 Nether Shadow
    2 Balustrade Spy
    2 Flayer of the Hatebound
    1 Iona
    1 Flame Kin-Zealot

Dec 2013

-1 Flayer, -1 Iona and +1 Balustrade Spy to begin with. If you want to go for a Spy-list you might be best of with mine (it's on page 30).

Consider the opportunity cost of Iona for a second. She says "You win in a couple of turns" vs. a number of decks, where Dread Returning Balustrade Spy says "You win this turn", without fail.

I get the allure, but "I win this turn" > "I win in a couple of turns".
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Magic Player

Jul 2011
    Boston

Took manaless to the t4 of a 26 man over the weekend. This was the list.

Creatures (45)
    4 Street Wraith
    4 Phantasmagorian
    4 Chancellor of the Annex
    4 Prized Amalgam
    4 Ichorid
    4 Nether Shadow
    4 Narcomoeba
    4 Golgari Grave-Troll
    4 Stinkweed Imp
    4 Golgari Thug
    2 Shambling Shell
    2 Balustrade Spy
    1 Flayer of the Hatebound

Sorcery (11)
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Dread Return

Enchantment (4)
    4 Bridge from Below

Sideboard (15)
    4 Force of Will
    4 Noxious Revival
    2 Disrupting Shoal
    2 Whirlpool Rider
    2 Faerie Macabre
    1 Serra Avatar

Matchups were
    R1. B/G Depths (win 2-0)
    Won the Roll. Game 1 was weird because we both punted one after the other. I had to work for it and he had to choose between my board state and his Glacial Chasm going to 2 counters at 4 life. He choose board state and couldn't deal.
    Game 2 On the draw. I had hand of gas (gorian, 2x Wraith, multiple dredgers). He went to 6 and made the comment that he didn't realize how fast this deck was.
    R2. BUG delver (win 2-1)
    Won the Roll. Game 1 on the draw. Got ahead of an early deathrite and combo kill him.
    Game 2 on the play. Turn 0 chancellor. Dredged* flayer in the first dredge and it got eaten by a shaman so I was on the race plan. He was at 2 when I died.
    Game 3 on the draw. Once again I get ahead of deathrite and the combo is fast enough.
    R3. D&T (loss 0-2)
    Won the Roll. Game 1 on the draw. Turn 2 Thalia does a lot of work. I get to aggressive and lose my bridges when I didn't have too. This made it hard and I died with him at 6 life.
    Game 2 on the play. Force a cage early and go to work. Once again Thalia shows up this time the turn after I dread retuned a Whirlpool Rider with 7 or 8 cards in hand I went to one card in library which was the bridge I needed to get there. Sometimes it happens.
    R4. Shardless BUG (win 2-1)
    Lost the Roll. Game 1 on the draw. Combo gets there fast.
    Game 2 on the draw. Surgical plus deathrite and some mediocre dedges and he beats me down with a goyf.
    Game 3 on the draw. Got to a fast combo before deathrite could stop me.
    R5. ID
    3-1-1 for 4th after Swiss
    T8. Miracles (win 2-0)
    I was the higher seed so I choose draw for game 1 where he doesn't really do anything while I beat down.
    Game 2 on the play. He had turn 2 surgical snap surgical and I didn't get anything going after that.
    Game 3 back on the draw. This 1 was a grind he decided to STP a few Ichorids but no other interaction with me. He ended up casting an entreat for 3 to try and stabilize the board but I was to far ahead. I returned a flayer and passed with 2 or 3 Prized Amalgam triggers and him at 6.
    T4. Food Chain (loss 0-2)
    Both games were the same story 2 deathrite shamans is to much to handle also Walking Balista is a house as it kills bridges and dudes.
    Last edited by WarpWorld; 04-04-2017 at 09:25 AM.

Dec 2013

Congrats on the result! Looking forward to the report.
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Magic Player

Jul 2011
    Boston

Edited the above post with match ups. 4 Noxious Revival was to much and I will most likely go back to playing a few contagions to deal with the shaman. I was expecting a lot of surgical and was right. I only got to blank it once on the day. I did get to blank a few deathrite activations but I would have rather dealt with the deathrite. Deck felt good and 3 Dread Return felt correct as I didn't need more than 3 in any given game to combo my opponent out.

Quote Originally Posted by WarpWorld View Post
    Edited the above post with match ups. 4 Noxious Revival was to much and I will most likely go back to playing a few contagions to deal with the shaman. I was expecting a lot of surgical and was right. I only got to blank it once on the day. I did get to blank a few deathrite activations but I would have rather dealt with the deathrite. Deck felt good and 3 Dread Return felt correct as I didn't need more than 3 in any given game to combo my opponent out.
    Why Serra Avatar and not Progenitus?
    "Everything is better topless"

Noxious Revival isn't worth the space, if Surgical Extraction is causing the deck serioius problems then it's a result of cutting Shambling Shell and not having enough redundancy to play thru' it - just SBing 2 more Shambling Shells might be strictly better vs Surgical Extraction.

The blue SB DR targets seem like a waste of space, you can just MD them and give yourself enough space to actually deal with stuff like Reanimator or Storm.

Thread Information