Page 74 of 74 FirstFirst ... 24647071727374
Results 1,461 to 1,464 of 1464

Thread: [Primer] +Manaless Dredge+

Re: [Primer] +Manaless Dredge+

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    I still don't understand using Vine Dryad over Basking Rootwalla if you want a free, green dork?
    Even though I don't use it myself, as I understand it Rotwalla is more condicional since it depends solely on Phantasmagorian/Therapy while, between extra Hogaaks/Shells/Trolls/OUaT's, Dryad'll seldom, if ever, be short on cards to enable it. Also it kills Thalia and Containment Priest (and survives).

Only real upside of Rotwalla is being resistant to countermagic.
    Last edited by idc1993; 12-19-2020 at 03:31 PM.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

So I was looking at this card, and it seems so close to being playable, and I would love if it could do something:

Tormod, the Desecrator

It's a free trigger (we love that), it rewards us for doing what we are already doing (getting closer to playable), and can create massive advantage over just a few turns. Is it just too expensive? I think I already know the answer, it's just too bad that a sweet card like this can't be valuable in Legacy.

We get a zombie every time we dredge, we get a zombie every time we flashback Cabal Therapy, we get a zombie every time we resolve a Dread Return, and we get a zombie every time we resolve a Narcomoeba trigger. This is like a reverse Bride from Below where instead of creatures being sacrificed it's anything that leaves our graveyard. In the face of early graveyard interaction (where we can't Dread Return this guy) he is just as useless as any other DR target.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

The low-hanging fruit is Stifle, which completely hoses all of those win conditions save Syr Konrad, and honestly there may not be any other reasons. I think the more appropriate comparison would be Hogaak. Both are legendary, both are cards that support a more aggro approach rather than a combo approach. Hogaak has his own built-in Reanimate though while Tormod does not. The tokens entering tapped makes this a little awkward as well.

One angle is that if you DR a Tormod, opponent's might not be inclined to counter it with Force of Will/Negation. They may try and grind through it so they have the Force for Balustrade Spy, Thassa's Oracle, etc. In that sense Tormod can be something that increases threat density that can overwhelm meaningful non-graveyard interaction.

More than anything it's a thought experiment, something to just discuss. I'm not saying its great, I'm not even advocating for Tormod's inclusion. It's just a cool card that may have been overlooked.

EDIT: Tricks with Tormod are also a possibility, as in using Surgical/Faerie Macabre on your own cards to counter your opponent's Surgical/Cling to Dust. You end up with some value afterwards that you wouldn't normally get. It's niche, but anything going past the first few turns this ends up being something that can create inevitability, even in the face of grave hate.

EDIT #2: I'm not 100% sure what it's interaction with Grafdigger's Cage would be. I know it prevents cards from entering the battlefield from the graveyard, but it doesn't prevent cards from leaving the graveyard completely.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Thread Information