Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BW Enlightened Pox

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

BW Enlightened Pox

A list I've brewed up to try out for fun at modern since I have 80% of the deck already:

Enlightened Pox
    4x Myth Realized
    4x Smallpox
    2x Inquisition of Kozilek
    2x Thoughtseize
    4x Bloodghast
    4x Lingering Souls
    2x Darkblast
    3x Night's Whisper
    2x Timely Reinforcements
    2x Wrath of God
    2x Bile Blight
    2x Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
    2x Murderous Cut
    2x Rain of Tears

4x Flagstones of Troikar
    4x Marsh Flats
    3x Polluted Delta
    4x Godless Shrine
    2x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4x Swamp
    2x Plains
    2x Fetid Heath

SB:
    Not sure yet but I think a few Nihil Spellbombs and Disenchants and such are probably going in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Re: BW Enlightened Pox

Seems like it could be fun, Myth Realized could be really powerful in this type of deck. Bile Blight seems awful, what do you expect it to do better than a different kill spell? Liliana needs to be in here as well, it's just too good with all your lingering souls + darkblast are easily discardable and the sac effect is even better with smallpox.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Bile Blight idk. I saw a list running it and it seemed decent at the time. Guess like straight up Doom Blade or something might just be better. Guess the ability to hit multiples isn't worth it? My thought was that getting overrun by dudes was somewhat of a weakness but I guess that only helps if those dudes are the same. As for Liliana, Yeah. I just sold mine though and I don't want to buy them again... How about Porphyry Nodes? Think it's any good or maybe just in the board?
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

It might be decent against other Lingering Souls decks, but I think you'd much rather have Zealous Persecution for that. ZP actually is pretty good against a lot of the format too, can just take out random tokens or bob decks, or give you the last few damage to kill in a turn. I don't think the -3 is any better right now really than -1 since the main players are Tarmogoyf, bob, tokens, splinter twin stuff, and others.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

True. Is Ghostly Prison a terrible idea or no? Seems fine with the LD that I run. I kind of like the Rain of Tears but don't know how good it is.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Sideboard I'm a fan, it makes Twin stuck on the Cryptic-to-bounce (which is tough to get mana for with your land destruction) or burn you out plan. I don't think it's a replacement for ZP or other kills main though, since they'll likely still attack with a creature a turn. It's fairly lackluster staring down a 5/6 goyf too.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Played the main deck -2 Bile Blight, -2 Fetid Heath (couldn't get any), +2 Isolated Chapel, +1 Zealous Persecution, +1 Inquisition of Kozilek. Went 3-1. Myth was pretty good. It single handedly beat Merfolk when I just sat there with it building up and attacking while I dark blasted and murderous cut everything. Rain of Tears surprisingly was really good. A lot of man lands in this format along with just following up a smallpox with one generally was GG. I kind of want another wrath in there. Not sure what to cut though. I flooded a few times as well but I guess it's just the cost of modern is such inconsistencies. Maybe a fourth Nights whisper somewhere?

I'd rather play Victim of Night than Bile Blight. There's barely anything it doesn't kill outside of the Dredge matchup and Mutavault.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Went 4-0 tonight with the above list -1 Isolated Chapel, -2 Timely Reinforcements, +1 Drown in Sorrow, +1 Urborg
    SB as follows:

2x Pithing Needle
    2x Tombstalker
    2x Timely Reinforcements
    3x Kor Firewalker
    2x Disenchant
    2x Nihil Spellbomb
    2x Stony Silence

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

What other than the 1 Drown in sorrow did you add?

Deck looks fun, I'll probably pick it up online when they release DTK

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    What other than the 1 Drown in sorrow did you add?

Deck looks fun, I'll probably pick it up online when they release DTK
    It was somehow 62 cards before... Didn't count properly lol so I cut it down to 61

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Went 3-1 tonight. I really need to put together a proper sideboard. I beat up some BUG Control because he had me at 1 with a snap caster and I confidently played a Bloodghast and he didn't realize it couldn't voice so he didn't kill me and I drew souls. Beat a soul sisters variant with genesis chambers and stuff. Beat up some super all in Zoo/Death Shadow build. List to Dredgevine. Match up seems miserable. Need some better yard hate I just don't know what. I played 2 Spell bomb and a surgical tonight

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

That's tough, I'm not sure there's going to be a worse matchup out there. Honestly I'd probably just accept the loss to dredgevine, since their strategy is just boosted by yours. Leyline of the Void could be added to the sideboard, but it's such a narrow card in Modern that I wouldn't really bother. Just hope your land hate can keep them off playing 2 dudes in a turn long enough for you to kill them.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    That's tough, I'm not sure there's going to be a worse matchup out there. Honestly I'd probably just accept the loss to dredgevine, since their strategy is just boosted by yours. Leyline of the Void could be added to the sideboard, but it's such a narrow card in Modern that I wouldn't really bother. Just hope your land hate can keep them off playing 2 dudes in a turn long enough for you to kill them.
    That's essentially been my plan is to hope I can prevent them going nuts or finding a wrath. I think I want a 3rd Wrath (Damnation for non budget purposes). Both games if I had found a wrath I could've possibly stabilized. If he doesn't find Bloodghasts or my life total is high enough to make them irrelevant, Myth can really race. I think I was smashing someone with it last night for 9 at one point.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Have you played this recently? I'm wondering how it fares against the current flavor of the month grixis control/grixis twin. Also, did you have a good sideboard decided?

Team Lucksack- we're the god damns at limited
    May 2008
    Columbus, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    A list I've brewed up to try out for fun at modern since I have 80% of the deck already:

Enlightened Pox
    4x Myth Realized
    4x Smallpox
    2x Inquisition of Kozilek
    2x Thoughtseize
    4x Bloodghast
    4x Lingering Souls
    2x Darkblast
    3x Night's Whisper
    2x Timely Reinforcements
    2x Wrath of God
    2x Bile Blight
    2x Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
    2x Murderous Cut
    2x Rain of Tears

4x Flagstones of Troikar
    4x Marsh Flats
    3x Polluted Delta
    4x Godless Shrine
    2x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4x Swamp
    2x Plains
    2x Fetid Heath

SB:
    Not sure yet but I think a few Nihil Spellbombs and Disenchants and such are probably going in.
    not sure if its relevant, but ive been playing this deck online and IRL and its quite the meta masher. my list is 2 Darkblast
    4 Marsh Flats
    2 Inquisition of Kozilek
    4 Lingering Souls
    2 Plains
    2 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
    3 Swamp
    2 Wrath of God
    4 Smallpox
    3 Night's Whisper
    2 Rain of Tears
    3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Flagstones of Trokair
    4 Myth Realized
    2 Murderous Cut
    2 Isolated Chapel
    4 Bloodghast
    3 Polluted Delta
    4 Godless Shrine
    1 Zealous Persecution
    1 Drown in Sorrow
    2 Thoughtseize

SB
    2 Stony Silence
    2 Nihil Spellbomb
    3 Kor Firewalker
    2 Pithing Needle
    3 Timely Reinforcements
    2 Revoke Existence
    1 Wrath of God

2 of the wraths need to be damnations as well as -1 drown, -1 zealous +2 liliana of the veil, but im having a blast so far
    Last edited by arcboundravager2; 08-07-2015 at 11:24 PM.
    Team Lucksack, professional badasses

Originally Posted by rockout
    So it's a single red for the lightning bolt effect and 6 colorlress to make it draw a single card. WTF mate that is god awful.

That card dodges the shit out of counterbalance.

Team Lucksack- we're the god damns at limited
    May 2008
    Columbus, OH

So I don't have a lot of opportunities to post but I soon plan on writing a full primer for modern pox and even put in a tournament report. More to come. Also, testing -1 swamp +1 urborg for more blowout turn 2 smallpox with flagstones.
    Team Lucksack, professional badasses

Originally Posted by rockout
    So it's a single red for the lightning bolt effect and 6 colorlress to make it draw a single card. WTF mate that is god awful.

That card dodges the shit out of counterbalance.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Haven't really played Modern in a couple of months now. I did well for a little bit, but my meta became infested with Collected Company decks with Voice of Resurgence, Loxodon Smiters and such along with the same man who would go undefeated every week with Vengevine Dredge (that was like an actually unwinnable match up). The meta was real bad for the deck, and I think I definitely could have tuned it more. Glad to hear of your success though!

Also I really think Illness in the Ranks could be a powerful card for the sideboard versus the Grixis decks, but unfortunately it hurts our souls :/

I think more ZP the heavier you expect the Pyromancer decks seems pretty fine though.

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

Just as a disclaimer, this list below is rather different than the thread's concept, but it's close enough.

I've been playing a very similar version of this deck for a while, though I took it a bit further by trimming some black and adding red for faster (see: better) land destruction. Something sort of close to resembling this also popped up in one of GerryT's articles a while back, but that list was pretty terrible imo.

4 Bloodghast
    4 Lingering Souls
    2 Bitterblossom / Myth Realized (I prefer BB because it makes guys and blocks for free and is nice fodder for Crack the Earth, but Myth is solid here too)
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Ajani Vengeant
    4 Crack the Earth
    4 Smallpox
    4 Boom/Bust
    4 Lightning Bolt
    1 Terminate
    1 Murderous Cut
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek
    3 Ghostly Prison
    2 Nihil Spellbomb

4 Flagstones of Trokair
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Arid Mesa
    1 Marsh Flats
    2 Godless Shrine
    2 Sacred Foundry
    2 Blood Crypt
    1 Plains
    2 Swamp
    1 Mountain
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

Sideboard:
    3 Dragon's Claw
    2 Timely Reinforcements
    2 Surgical Extraction
    3 Wear/Tear
    2 Stony Silence
    3 Pyroclasm

If you lower your curve enough, you don't need the absurdly high number of land drops. This deck should always be able to operate on 2-3 lands tops, and just afford to lose other ones from the symmetrical effects (if you aren't dumping something like Bloodghast/Spellbomb to Crack the Earth or a fetch to Boom). Hence why you only run 21 land, most of which you gain some sort of benefit from with your symmetrical effects. Plus the win conditions are designed to not require mana to function, so you can skirt this further this way. Plus this allows you to put pressure on the opponent much faster by nuking lands on turn 1-2, instead of 2-3. This gives you a hell of a lot more time to operate and find more threats by taking more of their early game away. This also makes a card like Ghostly Prison go from pretty good to stupid good.

The removal is better as well because Lightning Bolt is god in Modern, and allows you to cheaply clear out creatures so Smallpox or Liliana can actually remove the real threats. No Zealous persecution despite how great it is for us because it doesn't remove things like Delver. Thoughtseize is also unnecessary because the opponent shouldn't realistically be casting their 4cc spells reliably, so IoK is the only direct discard spell used. Otherwise it's fairly straight forward. Nihil Spellbomb is main because it interacts well with Crack the Earth while being able to provide some draw relief and incidental graveyard hate. I've also used Chromatic Star and Doomed Traveler in this slot, but the mana hasn't really been an issue and the token got awkward sometimes because it got lost immediately afterward anyway from Smallpox.

Liliana of the Veil is great here too despite the fact that discard is a slight nonbo with land destruction, because it either clears out the only creature they have or it at least keeps the resources down if they aren't able to cast spells. Plus it's -6 is more relevant in this deck than in most lists, and it really abuses the symmetrical nature of the + ability.

Sideboard aims to deal with red and affinity mostly. Wear/Tear is such a great card and it's nice that this deck can use both sides well. Pyroclasm hits your guys, but it's much more relevant at killing things like elves and artifact creatures that can be problems so it's a fair trade. Surgical is free so that helps against combo decks, and I like them over more Spellbombs because of nuking things like Grapeshots or all Griselbrands or something.

So there. Enjoy. Make people miserable. Unless you're playing against the GWx Smiter/Voice decks. You pretty much just lose to those unless you hit double Ghostly Prison.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by Di View Post
    So there. Enjoy. Make people miserable. Unless you're playing against the GWx Smiter/Voice decks. You pretty much just lose to those unless you hit double Ghostly Prison.
    Have you tried Anger of the Gods instead of Pyroclasm? Hitting 3 mana might be harder but if you know the card is going to be a blow out you can save your land destruction for Flagstones or until after you wipe the board.

Last week I got to Anger someone's board who had (super mega late game):

Kitchen Finks
    2 Voice of Resurgence
    2 Elemental tokens (X/X from voice)
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Melira
    1 Murderous Redcap
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 new Anafenza

and a freaking ultimated token from new Liliana, to add to the hilarity. It was the abzan coco combo deck with Chord of Calling. At that point I had a 12/12 Scavenging Ooze buying me time. I think it was the single most blow-out card I've ever played. He was in an almost unloseable situation and ended up losing. Liliana's token did nothing.

That's a little optimistic of a situation, but the 3 damage helped me a lot against Merfolk earlier that night as well, and against affinity I didn't mind waiting for 3 mana just because their first 2 turns are usually just about setting up stuff like Overseer or playing out a couple Signal Pests and you can afford to wait for the 1 more mana.

Thread Information