Thread: Spectators

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

Spectators

Got one question that came up when talking to a friend.

Situation:
    Player A passes the turn. Player B draws. Player A, still in the draw step, guesses out loud which cards Player B would need to have in hand in order to win the game. One or two spectators laugh.

Question:
    Is there a way that Player B can call the judge on Player A for anything?

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

May 2011
    Dalian, China

Re: Spectators

If player A isn't attempting to run the clock down or repeatedly antagonize player B then, no.

I'm not sure I understand the question. You're saying the spectators can see B's hand? If A was specifically trying to glean information from spectators, then yes, that could be outside assistance. If spectators were giving away information about someone's hand, then that could be outside information on the part of the spectators.

Most likely though, A isn't trying to gain information and the spectators aren't deliberately trying to give away information. If you called a judge, at most the judge can ask the spectators to leave.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

Yeah, the question wasn't about stalling, more about the fact that most spectators could see the hand of said player.

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    Yeah, the question wasn't about stalling, more about the fact that most spectators could see the hand of said player.

Greetings
    I remember two similar scenarios:

scen. 1:
    player A sideboarding: "mmm, mmm... mmm?"
    spectator: "Wow, Worship!"
    player B: "lolthx, I think I'll find use for these Naturalizes I never intended to sb in."

scen. 2:
    player A sideboarding: "mmm, mmm... mmm?"
    spectator: "Wow, a sunny!"
    player B: "Hm... I guess you just saw Trinisphere, right?"

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Last round of Day1 at GP Paris. Sneak Show vs some other deck.

Other player is tapped out, Sneak Show has Sneak Attack in play, Emrakul in hand, opponent at 5 life. For some reason the Sneak Show player thinks about his play for ages, prompting a spectator to say "Is it really all that hard?". The spectator received a match loss for that on the following Day2.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post

Other player is tapped out, Sneak Show has Sneak Attack in play, Emrakul in hand, opponent at 5 life. For some reason the Sneak Show player thinks about his play for ages, prompting a spectator to say "Is it really all that hard?". The spectator received a match loss for that on the following Day2.
    Well deserved game loss!
    A book about the dark side of Legacy: "Magic: The Addiction" // Conversations with Magic players: "Humans of Magic"

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Are all the punishments for this kind of thing steeped in the assumption that all spectators are also participants?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

3.2. Tournament Error — Outside Assistance

Penalty
    Match Loss

Definition
    A player, spectator, or other tournament participant does any of the following:
    • Seeks play advice or hidden information about his or her match from others once he or she has sat for his or her match.
    • Gives play advice or reveals hidden information to players who have sat for their match.
    • During a game, refers to notes (other than Oracle™ pages) made before the official beginning of the current match.

These criteria also apply to any deck construction and draft portions of a limited tournament. Additionally, no notes of any kind may be made during a draft. Some team formats have additional communication rules that may modify the definition of this infraction.

Notes made outside the current match may only be referenced between games, and must have been in the player’s possession since the beginning of the match.

Examples
    A. During a game, a player references play notes that were created before the tournament.
    B. A spectator points out the correct play to a player who had not solicited the information.

Philosophy
    Tournaments test the skill of a player, not his or her ability to follow external advice or directions. Any strategy advice, play advice, or construction advice from an external source is considered outside assistance. Visual modifications to cards, including brief text, that provide minor strategic information or hints are acceptable and not considered notes. Detailed instructions or complex strategic advice may not be written on cards. The Head Judge is the final arbiter on what cards and notes are acceptable for a tournament. Spectators who commit this infraction may be asked to leave the venue if they are not enrolled in the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Are all the punishments for this kind of thing steeped in the assumption that all spectators are also participants?
    Even if not enrolled in the tournament, spectators can be entered into the software and given match losses for tracking purposes. They can also be ejected from the venue if the behavior is egregious / malicious.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

我不是你的英雄。
    May 2010
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    [font=courier](...)
    • During a game, refers to notes (other than Oracle™ pages) made before the official beginning of the current match.
    When exactly is that?
    Don't mind me, i'm just writing about Pauper these days: theweeklywars.wordpress.com

deckstats.net archive

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post

C'mon ... is it really that hard? :) In the Sneak Attack players defense there is always Spirit Guide, Spirit Guide, Manamorphose for WW for kicked Orim's Chant to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Jona View Post
    When exactly is that?
    I'm wondering whether you missed the "during a game" part. But after both players have kept their hands (pregame procedure complete) and the round is started by the head judge.
    -David DeLaney

我不是你的英雄。
    May 2010
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    I'm wondering whether you missed the "during a game" part. But after both players have kept their hands (pregame procedure complete) and the round is started by the head judge.
    I was actually thinking about notes that are taken after sitting down. Not that I think it's likely to ever come up, but I thought it'd be good to know, so thank you.
    Don't mind me, i'm just writing about Pauper these days: theweeklywars.wordpress.com

deckstats.net archive

Thread Information