Thread: Esper Miracles

Esper Miracles

Hello everyone,

Recently for tourney's I have only been playing esper deathblade and was looking for a fun new change, within the u/w/b. Hopefully there is not already a post on this type of deck that I missed. I took a common UWR miracles list and tried to sub in black for red. Any feedback or suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Spells:37
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Counterbalance
    1 Counterspell
    2 Entreat the Angels
    1 Council's Judgment
    3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Supreme Verdict
    4 Force of Will
    3 Terminus
    2 Dig Through Time

Lands:23
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Island
    1 Karakas
    2 Marsh Flats
    1 Plains
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Scrubland
    1 Swamp
    3 Tundra
    4 Underground Sea

Sideboard:15
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Meddling Mage
    1 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Vendilion Clique
    1 Vindicate
    2 Leyline of the Void
    1 Supreme Verdict

Jan 2013
    Ithaca, NY

Re: Esper Miracles

This topic has already been beaten to death in the Miracles thread, and I think everyone came to a consensus that splashing black in Miracles is not worth it due to the strain on your manabase.

That begs the fundamental question: Is there anything only Black can do that better than Red?

Thoughtseize is garbage comparing to the versatility of Red Blast effect.

Hence, think of some cards from Black that Miracles would want and won't fall back to Red Blast effect.

From my own testing, in a goblin/merfolk/dnt tribal-infested local meta, Engineer Plague actually would serve you better than Blasts. Then, there's Notion Thief, which is a beating because most of Miracle opponents would SB-out their Swords, Bolts for game 2, in favor for more permanent removal thinking Counterbalance hate.

Vindicate, Lingering Souls... etc are all just Esper Stoneblade stuff pretending to be Miracles, unnecessary.

I think you need more basics. 1 plains is not always enough to reliably cast Council's Judgement or Entreat the Angels against Wasteland decks. I think 4 Underground seas is too many considering that your only maindeck card that requires black is thoughtseize. 2 U seas are probably sufficient when the swamp is considered. Which brings me to my other thought: losing 2 life to trade 1 for 1 in Miracles seems like a losing proposition when life management is so important, particularly against things like delver variants. Inquisition of Kozilek is potentially a replacement but there are a significant number of relevant cards that it misses. I hope that you have success with whatever you decide on!

In my opinion, the only reason to run a black splash main is to run lim-dul's vault. That card is just downright amazing with miracles despite the card disadvantage.

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    Thoughtseize is garbage comparing to the versatility of Red Blast effect.
    Is Thoughtseize worse than REB in Miracles? Pretty damn sure.
    Is REB more versatile than Thoughtseize? Not really.

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    From my own testing, in a goblin/merfolk/dnt tribal-infested local meta, Engineer Plague actually would serve you better than Blasts. Then, there's Notion Thief, which is a beating because most of Miracle opponents would SB-out their Swords, Bolts for game 2, in favor for more permanent removal thinking Counterbalance hate.
    Notion Thieft is very weak in the matchup. A lot of players will side out some if not all Stps, but they'll keep Council's Judgment and 3-4 REBs/Pyroblast.

The only case I would run black over green is in a poor blue meta, with a lot of aggro and combo decks relying in cards like Boseiju and Cavern of Souls to avoid countermagic. I had to go this route some years ago when my meta was infected of S'n'T with 3 copies of Boseiju and there was no Abrupt Decay, so Back to Basics was a thing.

May 2013
    Paris, France

Well I have played this list to some success (4 wins 2 losses) last tournament.
    Tasigur is really a house in this deck (Top+DTT).

2 Plains
    5 Island
    1 Swamp
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Marsh Flat
    1 Karakas
    1 Underground Sea
    2 Tundra

3 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Vendilion Clique
    2 Tasigur, the Golden Fang

1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

3 Sensei's divining top

3 Counterbalance

4 Swords to Plowshare
    2 Spell pierce
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Counterspell
    4 Force of Will
    3 Dig Through Time

3 Ponder
    1 Toxic deluge
    1 Entreat the Angels
    2 Terminus

Sideboard:

4 Meddling Mage
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Notion Thief
    1 Engineered Explosives
    2 Back to basics
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Disenchant
    1 Zealous Persecution
    1 Vindicate/Relic of progenitus/Containment Priest (Meta slot)

Thread Information