Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: D&T or Maverick?

D&T or Maverick?

I'm still trying to decide what deck to play and both appeal to me. So the question is what's better and why? The downside of building these as a first deck is they don't contain a ton of format staples outside Wasteland right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Re: D&T or Maverick?

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch253 View Post
    The downside of building these as a first deck is they don't contain a ton of format staples outside Wasteland right?
    More specifically, some of the expensive things you'll be buying don't apply much to other decks. With D&T, you'll be buying into Ports. With Maverick, you'll be buying into a manabase that focuses on a weak(er than others) color pair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    More specifically, some of the expensive things you'll be buying don't apply much to other decks. With D&T, you'll be buying into Ports. With Maverick, you'll be buying into a manabase that focuses on a weak(er than others) color pair.
    Exactly my problem! The decks aren't sooo expensive but they also don't have cards universally used like Jace, Force and Lilly. I just know that it would take me years to build a deck that plays Underground Sea etc.

Death & Taxes has done a lot better than Maverick over the last year. I'd go with that.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

I've played both decks, and I would say that D&T is both stronger and more fun to play.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Pre-deathrite shaman Maverick was super fun and extremely consistent with few natural predators. Nowadays I have to say that Death and Taxes is just a more objectively powerful deck.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

I'm going to go against the grain and recommend Maverick. I get better mileage out of that deck, and the cards in that deck overlap with more of the other decks in the format you might eventually want to move into.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

The Problem with Maverick is that in the days Post-DRS, the deck has not only gone full 3 color, but lost a lot of punch due to graveyard hate messing with a lot of reasons you play BG in the first place (Goyf, KotR, DRS). Both decks play Thalia + SFM anyway, so going with the deck which goes basically the same technical Route in just a single color but with additional tricks (Vial + Karakas) is preferable in the face of the current powerhouse Miracles
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

You should answer on first spot what is your meta - more controlish/midrange or more combo overlay, D&T have some problems vs midrange decks due to lack of CA/CQ or some blanks like multiple Vials. On long game Maverick < D&T thanks to scaling threads like Knight of the Reliquary, Scavenging Ooze, or CQ like GSZ. In short games D&T > Maverick, thanks to more resource control oriented strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch253 View Post
    Exactly my problem! The decks aren't sooo expensive but they also don't have cards universally used like Jace, Force and Lilly. I just know that it would take me years to build a deck that plays Underground Sea etc.
    Jace and Lilly are not universally used. They are not really different to Rishadan Port in that regard though Rishadan Port lost some usage since Goblins is right now is not a tier 1 deck anymore.

D&T is rather cheap outside of Ports and SFM and Wasteland are used in a many decks.

Learning Blue cards
    Nov 2012
    Beijing,China

Quote Originally Posted by Quizzlemanizzle View Post
    Jace and Lilly are not universally used. They are not really different to Rishadan Port in that regard though Rishadan Port lost some usage since Goblins is right now is not a tier 1 deck anymore.

D&T is rather cheap outside of Ports and SFM and Wasteland are used in a many decks.
    3+ Karakas is also a configulation you won't see at anywhere else.
    I hear they got twisters miles wide in the Midwest.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal View Post
    You should answer on first spot what is your meta - more controlish/midrange or more combo overlay, D&T have some problems vs midrange decks due to lack of CA/CQ or some blanks like multiple Vials. On long game Maverick < D&T thanks to scaling threads like Knight of the Reliquary, Scavenging Ooze, or CQ like GSZ. In short games D&T > Maverick, thanks to more resource control oriented strategy.
    Maverick does have issues with Miracles to a certain degree, while a good D&T pilot should be favored alot against them (except against really good Miracle players since those can put up a fight, but you should be still favored).

How good Maverick is against midrange builds also depends on the build - PF builds certainly have a way easier time to grind down those matches.

@Dutch253: What does your meta look like?

Doesn't a protected (Sylvan Safekeeper) Gaddock Teeg just stop Miracles? Seems like a legit plan to me. And to answer your question, play the deck you like more.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Kanti View Post
    Doesn't a protected (Sylvan Safekeeper) Gaddock Teeg just stop Miracles? Seems like a legit plan to me. And to answer your question, play the deck you like more.
    Engineered Explosives, Councils Judgement and other cards are run between MB and SB for that stuff anyways. Not even talking about Legends Builds with Karakas.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Engineered Explosives vs Protected Gaddock by Safekeeper isn't best answer unless it's played prefact. Only real answer to break the lock is Council Judgement / Karakas (doesn't break the lock, but can overload removal - lands count) - until waste.

By just looking at tournament results - Death and Taxes is miles ahead of Maverick. It might partly be due to less people playing Maverick, but also as a result of Miracles being a top tier deck. It is true that Gaddok Teeg+safekeeper disables the Miracles deck, but getting that combination onto the board is often easier said than done.

I am a Maverick player myself and I think the archetype is very underrepresented.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Benke View Post
    By just looking at tournament results - Death and Taxes is miles ahead of Maverick. It might partly be due to less people playing Maverick, but also as a result of Miracles being a top tier deck. It is true that Gaddok Teeg+safekeeper disables the Miracles deck, but getting that combination onto the board is often easier said than done.

I am a Maverick player myself and I think the archetype is very underrepresented.
    Because running 0-1 Teeg and 0-1 Safekeeper isn't reliable in the first place. KotR + Tarmogoyf became a lot less relevant due to the printings of Delver, Batterskull, DRS, TNN and more effective yard-hate in general. Maverick is a shadow of it's own past since Tarmogoyf Wars are no longer the metagame standards

Join us at Facebook!

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Because running 0-1 Teeg and 0-1 Safekeeper isn't reliable in the first place.
    That's what GSZ is for..
    -

There's a guy on MWS called M@verick who tweaked a list that seems to be at least on par if not favored against Miracles.
    It's been a while but I'll try to reconstruct it:

4 Thalia
    2 Gaddock Teeg
    3 Mother of Runes
    1 Sylvan Safekeeper
    2 Sylvan Library
    4 KotR
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Weathered Wayfarer
    2 SFM
    1 Jitte
    1 Batterskull
    4 GSZ
    4 STP
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    4 Vial

4 Windswept Heath
    1 Misty Rainforest
    2 Flooded Strand
    4 Savannah
    1 Plains
    1 Forest
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Cavern of Souls
    1 Karakas
    1 Horizon Canopy
    4 Wasteland
    (21)

SB:
    3 Ethersworn Canonist
    3 Choke
    2 Wilt-Leaf Liege
    1 Bojuka Bog
    2 RiP
    1 Pithing Needle
    3 ?

We are lost. We can never go home.
    May 2011
    Noricum

Ehm, not really. M@vericks idea was to build an Aether Vial Maverick build, not Zenith. You can find most of his lists here:
    http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=14813&iddeck=109735

Greetings
    My articles here, here, here and here | My current list | Follow me on Twitter | Questions I answered.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

He's also a real baller and thus far the only person to Top8 the Bazaar of Moxen with a 62 card deck.

Quote Originally Posted by klaus View Post
    a guy on MWS called M@verick
    His name is Luis Viciano and his nickname "M@verick" is the reason the deck is called that way.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Thread Information