Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Format] Old-School Magic

Re: [Format] Old-School Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post

Do you have any photos from those matches? Like you said... the decks look awesome.

How do powerless decks stack up in the format?
    Is there a red deck that hates on expensive cards?
    Coverage can be found here:

http://www.eternalcentral.com/eterna...-weekend-2014/

There aren't decks, there are legal cards. You can make a red deck if you want, plenty of good cards to pick from.

The Voice of Reason
    Nov 2004
    Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    How do powerless decks stack up in the format?
    Is there a red deck that hates on expensive cards?
    Powerless decks are fine if you play cards that help mitigate the other powered stuff. Things like Energy Flux, Dust to Dust, Strip Mine, and Blood Moon all go a long way. Ancestral Recall is definitely a great card, but it's rarely gong to lose you a match (unlike say, an unmolested Library of Alexandria for 10 turns). RW and UR are both very cheap combinations for the budget minded. White Weenie, as mentioned, is also one of the premier budget strategies as well, because you get the most efficient removal in Swords to Plowshares and Disenchant, and you have access to plenty of cheap threats, as well as artifact disruption.
    Find me on Twitter at @JMJACO and @EternalCentral. If you have an interest in Vintage Eldrazi, check out my book Eldrazi Meditations.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Looks like some of the Old-School guys made a YouTube Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...9cyIBQJRmKVZmQ

So far, only videos from Ovino, but some pretty cool stuff. Balance is a totally fair card,
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

B&R Update from the Official 93/94 Blog

Summary:

Mirror Universe and Power Artifact are no longer Restricted.

Summer Magic is now a legal set.

It's not a true reading of 93/94 Magic if Balance, Black Vise, Hymn to Tourach and Mana Drain are restricted. None of those cards was restricted until early '95 and all of them not until '97.

The other problem is time limits on rounds. There were no time limits on rounds in constructed Magic tournaments in 1993 and 1994. Judges would gather around the late games of a round to make sure people weren't dawdling but you would often have two hour matches when the wrong lists matched up against each other. I can't remember a 256+ person tournament finishing in less than 12 hours in the year and a half I played in that meta.

Finally, the mulligan rule has to be all land or no land and once only for a full grip returned.

Without these this is just a way of making a hyper-expensive bad format.

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

Quote Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
    It's not a true reading of 93/94 Magic if Balance, Black Vise, Hymn to Tourach and Mana Drain are restricted. None of those cards was restricted until early '95 and all of them not until '97.

The other problem is time limits on rounds. There were no time limits on rounds in constructed Magic tournaments in 1993 and 1994. Judges would gather around the late games of a round to make sure people weren't dawdling but you would often have two hour matches when the wrong lists matched up against each other. I can't remember a 256+ person tournament finishing in less than 12 hours in the year and a half I played in that meta.

Finally, the mulligan rule has to be all land or no land and once only for a full grip returned.

Touching on that last point of M94 being a bad format (I'll agree with you on expensive, but that's the nature of the beast), you really can't be farther from the truth. Is it 100% true to the actual gameplay of that era? No, but the things that are eliminated are also that things that most people hated about Magic at that point; uninteractive resource denial. Anyone who wants to relive 4x Balance, 4x Twist, 4x Strip era are welcome to, but I imagine you'll find fewer people willing to play with you than those who will play M94.
    If you are basing your opinion of Magic 94 solely on having played in 94, I would suggest that you actually play with the oldschoolmagic.blogspot B+R list before making a decision. It really fixes a lot of the things that sucked about Magic of that time, but retains some of the authenticity of times past.
    Honestly, my experience with the format has been comboless Vintage with limited-power level creatures. Every deck has the potential to do some obnoxiously powerful things, but it's not so swingy that you ever get that T1 Balance hopeless feel.

Quote Originally Posted by mini1337s View Post
    Touching on that last point of M94 being a bad format (I'll agree with you on expensive, but that's the nature of the beast), you really can't be farther from the truth. Is it 100% true to the actual gameplay of that era? No, but the things that are eliminated are also that things that most people hated about Magic at that point; uninteractive resource denial. Anyone who wants to relive 4x Balance, 4x Twist, 4x Strip era are welcome to, but I imagine you'll find fewer people willing to play with you than those who will play M94.
    If you are basing your opinion of Magic 94 solely on having played in 94, I would suggest that you actually play with the oldschoolmagic.blogspot B+R list before making a decision. It really fixes a lot of the things that sucked about Magic of that time, but retains some of the authenticity of times past.
    Honestly, my experience with the format has been comboless Vintage with limited-power level creatures. Every deck has the potential to do some obnoxiously powerful things, but it's not so swingy that you ever get that T1 Balance hopeless feel.
    Hopeless on turn 1 was a real part of 93/94 Magic. The Balance players didn't get to mull to their perfect hand because of the mulligan rules and once Hymn to Tourach showed up they didn't have inevitability either.

I'm also really not on board with no the Revised restrictions. Magic was a tiny competitive environment before Revised showed up. In fact organized tournaments that tried to follow a similar set of guidelines didn't really exist until Revised showed up in the spring of '94. There were tourneys before that, mostly small ones, but they used house rules on restrictions and things like that. I remember showing up at a tourney at Columbia University in January '94 in which Serra Angel was a restricted card.

93/94 is an interesting concept but it does not look like 93/94 Magic at all.

Imagine in 2025 doing a 2010/2011 Legacy format in which Brainstorm, Force of Will, Sensei's Divining Top and Counterbalance are all banned and Paris Mulligan is the rule.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Well, if your point is to recreate history, then the idea of Old School is not what you are looking for.

The idea here to to get to play with the "old" cards in a way that recollects, not recreates, history. While there is certainly loss by using the current rule set, there is also gain.

On a side note, Balance is probably the most horridly broken card ever made in Magic, besides Contract from Below. Sure historically it was allowed as a 4-of, this just is not a good idea though. However, if it's that important to you, make a format with it, get people to play and I'll add that information into the first post.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

Why do people even reply to the guy on these forums? He writes about formats (Legacy, 93/94, probably others) that he clearly knows nothing about.
    Last edited by Teluin; 05-16-2015 at 09:31 AM.

The Voice of Reason
    Nov 2004
    Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post

It's not supposed to be a 'true reading' of anything. The rules in 1994 sucked, as did the Banned & Restricted List management back then. The advent of the Paris mulligan rule, as well as other modern Magic theory, ideas, and application of those have made for better Magic playability, as a game. To give you a very small example, Ali from Cairo was restricted back then, and we all know that sucks. This is more of a retrospective look back at playing with really fun old cards, which look badass, and applying a more modern understanding of the game of Magic to all of the sweet old cards. I play Old School about once every week or two right now, and it is easily the most fun I have had playing Magic in about a decade.

You're welcome to make up your own format, rules, or B&R List, and get people to play. Nothing is concrete or set in stone, but rather an opportunity to just do something fun and different. That's how new organic formats are born - out of a desire to do something different and interesting.

EDIT: We also don't play time limits on rounds. Most finish pretty fast anyway, but it's never something we've concerned ourselves with.
    Find me on Twitter at @JMJACO and @EternalCentral. If you have an interest in Vintage Eldrazi, check out my book Eldrazi Meditations.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by TattooedSpider View Post
    Hey, I recently created a group for East Coast 93/94 players.
    It can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/EastCoastOldSchool/
    Could you add it to the main post and delete this post?
    Thanks in advance!
    Added to the first post. Not a mod, so I can't delete your post though. All set - Jander
    Last edited by Jander78; 12-26-2015 at 06:58 PM.

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

I feel like this website should have an old school board. There are a lot of legacy players that play old school. There isn't a mtgthesource equivalent for old school on the internet that i'm aware of. I think there is still design space worth exploring with brews and discussing the meta and thesource would be a great platform for deck development.

Feb 2008
    Czech Republic

Old-School is indeed wonderful format, but old cards are virtually non-existent on the market, and since reprints and proxies aren't allowed, it is out of reach for me. I started messing with MtG in the Tempest era and the oldest cards I own are playset of Llanowar Elves and a few basic lands from Revised.
    My decks from real paper cards:

[Modern] Green Deathtouch
    [Vintage] Suicide Red
    [Casual Legacy] Blood Bats
    [Legacy] White Suspend Aggro Control

Thread Information