Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GP Kyoto Day 2 Meta breakdown, the future of Legacy?

Learning Blue cards
    Nov 2012
    Beijing,China

Re: GP Kyoto Day 2 Meta breakdown, the future of Legacy?

Quote Originally Posted by EviL668-2 View Post
    Does anybody have the deck list of YOUSUKE MORINAGA? Mentor without white mana seams to be incorrect!
    http://coverage.mtg-jp.com/gpkyo15/article/014842/

According to the report, the "Monastery mentor" in the list should be "Monastery swiftspear". Just some input mistake.
    I hear they got twisters miles wide in the Midwest.

Let's keep discussion of whether or not Brainstorm is the devil in the B&R Thread, okay? Quarantining that shit is what that thread is for.

This was the first Legacy GP in Japan, in all of Asia afaik, ever. Many of the participants might never have played with Brainstorm at a premier event like this, ever.
    Can you really blame them for wanting to?

Also, that Omnitell mirror match in the semis. Epic.

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Japanese REALLY like tentacles.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Haha. That's gold.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Quasim0ff View Post
    What the fuck is the Grixis Delver lists, and why are they so dominant compared to (not rug/bug) delver variants?

Why isn't there ANY UWR Delver? That seems... unexpected.

Grixis is just UR with tasigur and potential hand disruption from the board, to beat Omnitell, or?
    Its not just a Japan thing, In the upstate NY area I have been playing against Grixis more than any other delver deck since young pyromancer was printed (except for the brief surge of UR during the treasure cruise era). I don't play MTGO but I've noticed grixis has been one of the top decks for a while now as well. How have people not seen this deck?

The lists vary, some have deathrite. Some are just UR with a splash for therapy and 1 ofs.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
    I don't play MTGO but I've noticed grixis has been one of the top decks for a while now as well. How have people not seen this deck?
    I always assumed that was due to budget reasons since the bigger part of said Grixis Delver decks don't run Wasteland.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Grixis plays a lot more like Treasure Cruise era UR than current era UWR or RUG. You want all your colours, and you're not on a Stifle-Waste gameplan. You're on value-town gameplan. I heard there was also a ton of Burn in the meta. Miracles/OmniTell seem like good choices in that case.

This would have also been a great tournament for Two Towers Nic Fit. Such Lightning Bolt can't beat Siege Rhino!

-Matt

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    I always assumed that was due to budget reasons since the bigger part of said Grixis Delver decks don't run Wasteland.
    I think of those lists are really more like UR delver thats splashing black for tasiger and SB stuff. Personally I think the ones with deathrite, stifle and wasteland are better but both are performing very well. It took people a REALLY long time to realize young pyromancer was good, so while a lot of grixis lists now just look like a post-TC ban evolutions of UR, grixis delver has actually been good for a long time.

I'm going to make a bold statement - I think these Japanese players are way ahead of the curve on Legacy tech and deckbuilding. The Japanese flavor of Delver decks feels lean, fast, and generally superior to the midrangy crap we try to jam into our Delver decks in the US. Also these OmniTell lists are the real deal, and I think Dig makes them outclass Sneak and Show by quite a bit. I think people would benefit from taking a close look at the Japanese Legacy decks and begin thinking outside the box a bit in deckbuilding.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Patrunkenphat7 View Post
    I'm going to make a bold statement - I think these Japanese players are way ahead of the curve on Legacy tech and deckbuilding. The Japanese flavor of Delver decks feels lean, fast, and generally superior to the midrangy crap we try to jam into our Delver decks in the US. Also these OmniTell lists are the real deal, and I think Dig makes them outclass Sneak and Show by quite a bit. I think people would benefit from taking a close look at the Japanese Legacy decks and begin thinking outside the box a bit in deckbuilding.
    The Japanese are well-known for running weird shit all the time. Those Omni lists are nothing special on MODO.

16 lands Delver is ballsy, though.

Mar 2013

I will agree to that. Feels more like revision and refinement and less like innovation.
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    Japanese REALLY like tentacles.
    You sir, have won the Internet.

I think more than anything else - what is really relevant here, and what we really should be taking away from this event, is that every single deck in the top 8 (except for the RUG Delver deck and the ANT deck) played 2-4 Dig Through Time.

Dig Through Time might just be underplayed in Legacy for as powerful it has the potential to be.

Mar 2013

I was thinking more along the lines of "Time to break out the REBs again".

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    I think more than anything else - what is really relevant here, and what we really should be taking away from this event, is that every single deck in the top 8 (except for the RUG Delver deck and the ANT deck) played 2-4 Dig Through Time.

Dig Through Time might just be underplayed in Legacy for as powerful it has the potential to be.
    Well, is it that much worse than TC? While it costs to cast and nets you one less cards, it digs deeper, increasing the chance to get cards you actually want, and it can be fired off at instant speed.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Indeed. Though it's not like REB was ever bad. Something like that Jund list from Brazilian Nationals during the Cruise era would've rocked this Top 8, and I'm increasingly surprised that Jund isn't played more. Also, the fact that people are playing Sneak over Omni in the States is beyond me.

Because Jund has to mulligan, and can't unmulligan a bad hand with the cantrip cartel. Over a long event like a GP Kyoto or any GP really it's going to end up with enough awful keeps to incur a few losses, in addition to the other things that happen through the course of play (mistakes, losing the roll, bad matchup, flooding out). Chalice of the Void and Trinisphere would have also slaughtered this top 8 like lambs but good luck competing against cantrip.dec over ~15 rounds.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Because Jund has to mulligan, and can't unmulligan a bad hand with the cantrip cartel. Over a long event like a GP Kyoto or any GP really it's going to end up with enough awful keeps to incur a few losses, in addition to the other things that happen through the course of play (mistakes, losing the roll, bad matchup, flooding out). Chalice of the Void and Trinisphere would have also slaughtered this top 8 like lambs but good luck competing against cantrip.dec over ~15 rounds.
    I chose Jund specifically because it can support variance reducers like Sylvan Library and Bob, and the Brazilian list in particular because it also had Top. None of these are as good as blue cantrips, but you probably don't need this at the full 8 cantrip base to win consistently. This is a discussion for another thread though.

Jul 2013
    Texas

I played against 10 maindeck REB effects in 4 rounds at eternal extravaganza. There's a reason volcanic island is the most expensive dual now.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Well, is it that much worse than TC? While it costs to cast and nets you one less cards, it digs deeper, increasing the chance to get cards you actually want, and it can be fired off at instant speed.
    I agree, the card is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by btm10 View Post
    I chose Jund specifically because it can support variance reducers like Sylvan Library and Bob, and the Brazilian list in particular because it also had Top. None of these are as good as blue cantrips, but you probably don't need this at the full 8 cantrip base to win consistently. This is a discussion for another thread though.
    The Brazil list had Top because it was playing Chains of Mephistopheles.

Jund with MB REBs and extra library manipulation gives up a lot of percentage points that it usually has against Blade and Miracles decks, I believe.

Thread Information