Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Punishing Dack Miracle

Punishing Dack Miracle

At one point this deck was 8-1-1 at GP Kyoto
    Link to the deck tech in coverage http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/c...ech-2015-04-18

Planeswalker (6)
    4 Dack Fayden
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Sorcery (4)
    4 Terminus

Instant (17)
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Punishing Fire
    4 Pyroblast
    1 Pulse of the Fields
    4 Force of Will

Artifact (6)
    4 Sensei's Divining Top
    2 Engineered Explosives

Enchantment (4)
    4 Counterbalance

Land (23)
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Scalding Tarn
    1 Arid Mesa
    3 Tundra
    2 Volcanic Island
    1 Plateau
    4 Grove of the Burnwillows
    1 Karakas
    3 Island
    1 Plains
    1 Mountain
    60 Cards

Sideboard (15)
    1 Pulse of the Fields
    4 Meddling Mage
    3 Leyline of the Void
    2 Wear // Tear
    2 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Keranos, God of Storms
    1 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Grafdigger's Cage

Things to note:
    - Pulse of the Fields + Grove of the Burnwillows interaction
    - Punishing Fire + Dack Fayden card advantage engine
    - Pyroblast isn't a blank in nonblue matchups if you have a DANK FAYDEN emblem

- Playing both the Grove/Fire engine in addition to 4 Pyroblasts seems to give you coverage against a lot of different parts of the meta (because Pyroblast poops on the blue cards and PFire deals with Elves, DNT, etc).
    - x4 3-drop planeswalker probably improves the miracles 'mirror' by a lot (so would x4 Pyroblast I would imagine)

-Reduced blue spell count (18 vs 23 of the Miracle list in Schonegger's signature) would make casting Force of Will slightly harder and the wonky manabase definitely makes you more susceptible to Moon and Wasteland.

I'd be interested to hear what pilots of normal miracles or the fringe RUG-CB decks think of this list.

Re: Punishing Dack Miracle

Very interesting, exactly how I like my decks.

4 Blasts seems plenty, but with Dack you can still loot them away. I would be interested to hear how long his matches took, since he basically has to win with Jace or PF (maybe he had some wins with Dack's ultimate too).

Also - the manabase. 15 blue sources seem very low for 4 counterbalances.

Looks sweet. But I think I would try to trim some and fit in 1-2 DTT. Dack can fuel them like no other

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Not sure about all deck - didnt test it, bu it looks like lack of fast victory way - it can be problematic vs BUG Control\ANT.
    Pulse of the Fields looks sweet but I can see that it works only in burn MU (without resolved Vortex) so I would replace it with some fast victory engine.
    Maybe Entreat th Angels.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

id probably be more interested in the deck if it went green instead of white. It would utilize loam for insane card advantage and use devastating dreams / moxes for accel. Do you know if that approach has been taken?
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Kind of a fascinating list - obviously Pyroblast has some nice synergy there as well as Pfire. He ended up going 11-2-2 and finished in something like 30th, so there's clearly some merit to the deck.

My questions - what matchups does fire/dack significantly improve from a more standard Miracles list? I guess you've cut the StP so Fire should give you a little more game against resolved planeswalkers, and other than that it's just swapping DTT for Dack, which makes sense with Pfire.

Punishing Miracles is an old concept that has never took off, even prior to GP Kyoto.

This list is interesting in that it adds 4 MD Blast effect. The deck has great game against Delvers, but it's vulnerable to any combos that don't involve blue. You can tell by having massive hate in the SB against graveyard strategy. Since GP Kyoto appears to be full of Delver and Show and Tell decks, this is a good meta call.

Pulse is really the additional synergy when you run White and Grove. I would not take it out for traditional Miracles cards, Pulse is there within the context of this deck.

Mar 2013
    Bury, Manchester, England

-1 Dack
    -1 Jace
    +2 Mentor

I would also cut Pulse the Fields. It's sweet and sort of hilarious, but it's also probably just bad, sadly.

I love what you've done with the place. Punishing Fire with Mentor seems really strong, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by useL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    If you pay me or give me some benefits, I might consider writing reports.
    Can I pay you for not posting in this thread?
    The conspiracy goes deeper than you might think.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    That's.... that's not how deckbuilding works.

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    id probably be more interested in the deck if it went green instead of white. It would utilize loam for insane card advantage and use devastating dreams / moxes for accel. Do you know if that approach has been taken?
    Jacob Wilson played a (pre-TC-banning) brew along these lines at the Legacy Open, video here. I played around with some lists more often then, but the impetus for filling the graveyard has waned with the banning.

Looks like 5+ Thought Scour + Mental Note, Punishing Fire, Snapcaster Mages, Goyfs, Hidetsu's Second Rite (!). I assume and remember using Dack, but in flipping through real quick, didn't see it in that game.
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Nilla Pac View Post
    I've goldfished with Doomsday decks about twenty times and I still haven't won a game yet.

Quote Originally Posted by anwei View Post
    Jacob Wilson played a (pre-TC-banning) brew along these lines at the Legacy Open, video here. I played around with some lists more often then, but the impetus for filling the graveyard has waned with the banning.

Looks like 5+ Thought Scour + Mental Note, Punishing Fire, Snapcaster Mages, Goyfs, Hidetsu's Second Rite (!). I assume and remember using Dack, but in flipping through real quick, didn't see it in that game.
    I'm not sure that his deck played CB + Top either.
    I think he was mainly playing that deck for a laugh, he had a lot of silly cards (Second Rite, Tibalt etc)

Judging from that video relying on red removal alone makes you very vulnerable to creatures with reasonable toughness (Brimaz in that case, but also Tarmogoyf) which seems to justify the addition of white for terminus.

hi guys, does anyone try the deck recently?

this is my list just for now:

3 Monastery Mentor

2 Dack Fayden
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

4 Terminus
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Punishing Fire
    1 Flusterstorm
    2 Spell Snare
    4 Force of Will
    4 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Counterbalance

4 Flooded Strand
    2 Scalding Tarn
    1 Arid Mesa
    3 Tundra
    4 Volcanic Island
    4 Grove of the Burnwillows
    3 Island
    1 Plains

i add ponders and mentor. the first one is because i love it in decks like miracles (too many situational cards) and mentor with pfire seems cool imho.

any thoughts?

the deck seems cool, but i've played just few match!

Predictor of Miracles
    Aug 2015
    Columbus, OH

How has this played out, Claudio?

Quote Originally Posted by Minniehajj View Post
    How has this played out, Claudio?
    what do you mean? how it woks?

Predictor of Miracles
    Aug 2015
    Columbus, OH

What did you play against, what did you usually win with, was Dack good? etc? Just curious how this deck plays against meta decks

i've just done 3 match...so there aren't enought datas, but the deck looks good. i won all mu 2-0 (team amercia, infect, brug control) the engine of pfire is great! i think this kind of miracle has best mu against all BGx decks (thx to pfire), even against Mud!

i'll write something of more specific when i have other clues!

Have you guys considered Long-term plans? It's a tutor since you have SDT in play. You wouldn't need that many pfire if u can just tutor for it.

I'm not convinced on Dack.

I like "fair" decks
    Apr 2014
    Osaka, Japan

B88 - I really like your decklist! What kind of side board are you running?

I'm curious about the mainboard flusterstorm and spell snare. What cards specifically give you issues that it's worth it? Hymn? goyf?

Thanks in advance, I love decks that mix a lot of good things together!

twndomn: would be cool but quite slow mayebe. Dack helps you in order to get what you need instead what you can discard, and with pfire is too cool imho.

HNana: the Sb is something like: 3relic 1ee 2wear 2fluster 2reb 1swan song 2vendilion 1priest 1canonist
    when you don't run Swords snare takes care of tarmo and as you said is there for tourach and other stuff. Fluster could be a Pyroblast or a Counterspell but with pfire we are able to increase the storm count!

That looks like a cool list Cloudio. The only worry I have is that punishing fire is a bit slower and more mana intensive compared to STP and you will have more trouble against knights and goyfs. On the other hand it also helps to deal with planeswalkers like liliana which can be a problem for regular miracles.
    I will definitely try it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Nilla Pac View Post
    I've goldfished with Doomsday decks about twenty times and I still haven't won a game yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dia_Bot View Post
    That looks like a cool list Cloudio. The only worry I have is that punishing fire is a bit slower and more mana intensive compared to STP and you will have more trouble against knights and goyfs. On the other hand it also helps to deal with planeswalkers like liliana which can be a problem for regular miracles.
    I will definitely try it out.
    thank you man! you could play Stp instead one terminus and one pfire and myabe cut something else for the third one...let me know.

yesterday night i played the deck and i won against jund 2-0, brug delver 2-0 and mud 1-0

Thread Information