Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Eternal Weekend: Legacy/Vintage Champs (August 21st- August 23rd, Philadelphia)

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Re: Eternal Weekend: Legacy/Vintage Champs (August 21st- August 23rd, Philadelphia)

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    It's fucking awful and you know it. I have to resolve a 3 drop blue creature and untap with it to resolve a 4 mana red enchantment on that creature? In the format where daze/stifle/waste/pierce/reb/beb/swords/bolt exist? Yeah... no
    Love you. <3

Edit: Dude made an account and posted a report. Ultimately, it plays more like a control deck with a combo finish than an early combo deck. He played longer, grindier games, using the combo to get a quick kill after stabilizing. It's super weak to Delver and those were his two losses (Round 1 and first round of Top 8). But really, he threw the deck together last minute with little to no testing and the rogue factor and matchups were huge.

I think there's place to experiment with Twin in Legacy, and this is a great starting point, but coming at it from a Modern mindset is going to get you destroyed.

This also popped out at me from his report (against Goblins w/Chalice & Blood Moon):

Quote Originally Posted by Morm
    Game 2: It turns out that Twin has the advantage over other combo decks of not caring about Chalice of the Void, Trinisphere or Blood Moon. Game two went much the same way as game one.
    Last edited by jrsthethird; 08-25-2015 at 03:18 AM.

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Re: Eternal Weekend: Legacy/Vintage Champs (August 21st- August 23rd, Philadelphia)

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    It's fucking awful and you know it. I have to resolve a 3 drop blue creature and untap with it to resolve a 4 mana red enchantment on that creature? In the format where daze/stifle/waste/pierce/reb/beb/swords/bolt exist? Yeah... no
    Eh, we have a guy locally who decided it was better than elves, and he was a really, REALLY strong elves player. Miracles has to interact with it at instant speed, it dodges much of the rest of the formats combo-hate. It's a lot like Oath right now - a decent control shell with an 'unconventional' (atypical interaction) combo finisher.

Also, side note on the event and coverage - next year, they should get people with a little more format knowledge in the booth. I love Bob, and his Vintage commentary was spot on (and there was some amusement when he was trying to figure out decks on the fly,) but it was almost distracting to hear them ramble. Maybe just get a 3rd in the booth for a day?
    Last edited by Ellomdian; 08-25-2015 at 02:50 PM.
    Check out my Legacy UBTezz Primer. Chalice of the Void: Keeping Magic Fair.
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    Love you. <3

Edit: Dude made an account and posted a report. Ultimately, it plays more like a control deck with a combo finish than an early combo deck. He played longer, grindier games, using the combo to get a quick kill after stabilizing. It's super weak to Delver and those were his two losses (Round 1 and first round of Top 8). But really, he threw the deck together last minute with little to no testing and the rogue factor and matchups were huge.

I think there's place to experiment with Twin in Legacy, and this is a great starting point, but coming at it from a Modern mindset is going to get you destroyed.

This also popped out at me from his report (against Goblins w/Chalice & Blood Moon):
    <3 you too Joe.

Yeah I get that you are kinda a flash deck that has a way to win quickly but as a whole the win conditions are more vulnerable than something more compact like show and tell or thopter combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellomdian View Post
    Eh, we have a guy locally who decided it was better than elves, and he was a really, REALLY strong elves player. Miracles has to interact with it at instant speed, it dodges much of the rest of the formats combo-hate. It's a lot like Oath right now - a decent control shell with an 'unconventional' (atypical interaction) combo finisher.
    Dodges the combo hate in SB, runs smack into the maindeck IMO. Certainly not a deck that can afford to be a known quanity
    Matt Bevenour in real life

bruizar

Last year... Back when cruise was unrestricted.

Mind you, this years final was still sweet. There was some really good Magic placed yesterday. Manual-mode Dredge may be my hero.
    It was sweet. However, many people reacted with surprise from hardcast dredge beat down. That's actually how you win game 2/3 in vintage. Stinkweed Imp is a recurring flying death toucher, Golgari Thug gets back Ingot Chewer when it chumps a Lodestone Golem, Barbarian Rings mop up utility creatures that don't like to attack. Dredge has got game without the graveyard.
    Dredge has many options. it is not as linear as people think.

At Bazaar of Moxen my brother was triple dredging an Ancestral Recall through a Trinisphere by unearthing Fatestitcher and Tapping the 3sphere down. I've won many games using Sharuum to grab a Time Vault and fatestitching 4 extra turns.

Overall, I thought the event was great, but I am VERY unhappy with the Judge interaction I've seen on camera. Taking 3-4 mins to answer basic format-related questions, and some of the rulings have been... dubious.

Out-of-order sequencing on that game where the guy missed his Pyromancer trigger? That was terrible...
    Or the match between Shardless and Lands with the missed draw phase that resulted in “yeah, just draw a card”. It’s painful watching someone make so many mistakes and still win by a landslide.

Also, side note on the event and coverage - next year, they should get people with a little more format knowledge in the booth. I love Bob, and his Vintage commentary was spot on (and there was some amusement when he was trying to figure out decks on the fly,) but it was almost distracting to hear them ramble. Maybe just get a 3rd in the booth for a day?
    I really try to like Randy, as he’s simply everywhere when it comes to Magic coverage. Be it the Pro Tour, the (albeit his own) VSL (and similar XSLs), Eternal Weekend, you can be sure to hear Randy’s voice. Sadly, after about 20 minutes of him getting the board-state wrong, being unsure of a) who’s turn it is, b) what spell is being cast, c) what ability is being activated, d) what cards is in each player’s hand, e) what a spell does and of course being wrong in all these cases, coupled with the incessant dwelling on “lines” that are obviously nonsensical because of these errors, it gets rather painful to stick around.

The perceived disrespect for the players capabilities as a result of these ramblings of “lines” that Randy would have taken is also taxing and this is also often exacerbated by obvious favoritism for certain players, such as those affiliated with CFB. (In game, there’s often an obvious favorite and during post-game interviews, the favored winner, with whom Randy is familiar with, is always treated with utmost respect, while the loser is referred to as “him” or “that guy” in exclamations of great hyperbole (for example, “You crushed that guy”). Compare that to how athletes in other sports are interviewed, where both parties are often interviewed for their take on the outcome and where the interviewer rarely takes sides.)

I admire the joy he seems to get from being in the booth, but in all fairness it’s a joy similar to the joy of shear awe that a mentally challenged person experiences when they find themselves in a situation that’s beyond their capabilities.

I realize that Eternal Weekend is “for fun” and that the coverage is made to match, but what I’ve said above is still true nonetheless.

Finally, I’ve been thinking of setting up a sound board of Randyisms. My suggestions so far are:

† I really love this one.

bruizar

the vintage coverage had a similarly embarrising moment when itou hiromichi wasnt recognized as former vintage world champ and instead referred to as a random japanese guy crazy enough to come all the way from japan for eternal weekend

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by now View Post
    I really try to like Randy, as he’s simply everywhere when it comes to Magic coverage. Be it the Pro Tour, the (albeit his own) VSL (and similar XSLs), Eternal Weekend, you can be sure to hear Randy’s voice. Sadly, after about 20 minutes of him getting the board-state wrong, being unsure of a) who’s turn it is, b) what spell is being cast, c) what ability is being activated, d) what cards is in each player’s hand, e) what a spell does and of course being wrong in all these cases, coupled with the incessant dwelling on “lines” that are obviously nonsensical because of these errors, it gets rather painful to stick around.
    I think he's fine when he has another commentator who is proficient at the format. LSV is a great foil for Randy. But with someone like Bob, who seemed really shaky on Legacy, Randy seems to dominate the running commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    the vintage coverage had a similarly embarrising moment when itou hiromichi wasnt recognized as former vintage world champ and instead referred to as a random japanese guy crazy enough to come all the way from japan for eternal weekend
    That was... painful. Being surprised at Japanese and European players traveling to EW is like being surprised when Americans show up to Bazaar. We're spending Thousands (and tens of thousands...) of dollars on cards, what's the big deal for a 1-2k weekend trip?
    Check out my Legacy UBTezz Primer. Chalice of the Void: Keeping Magic Fair.
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

Thread Information